PDA

View Full Version : Audiosurf: Ride your music

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-12, 06:22 PM
Hello, playground.
First, I was wondering if anyone else had played this awesome game (Available via steam)

Second I would suggest to anyone with some money and acces (sp?) to steam to get this game.

Thirdly, for the uninformed, audiosurf is a game best described as a puzzle racer. First, you but it off steam.
Second, you import a song you like into the game, which is done by simply clicking on the play game button.
Third, the game generates a racetrack based on the rytham of the song. It might be a sloooowwww, uphill, straight track for some songs, or a rapid, swerving, downhill track for others.
What you do, once it has made the racetrack, is simple. Your car moves ontop of a grid, one that is 3 squares wide and 6 (I belive) squares high. As you move along the track, blocks are placed on any of the coloumns, with powerups generally on the shoulders of the track. You have to hit the asorted colors so they are placed on the grid, making blocks of atleast three squares.

It's alot of fun, with every car adding a different element, from multiplayer, to moving blocks, to monochrome. Also, you won't run out of tracks as every song makes a new track.

The biggest downside to this game, however, is that different versions of a song make different tracks, so comparing scores is impractical.

Sound fun? Then you can buy it here, http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=12900&cc=CA
Or get the four race demo here
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=12910&cc=CA enjoy :smallwink:

Sneak
2008-08-12, 07:10 PM
Sounds spiffy, but alas, my only computer-ish companion is my trusty MacBook, Sasha. So no Audiosurf for me.

It's okay, Sasha, I still love you... :smalltongue:

Enlong
2008-08-12, 07:12 PM
Sounds spiffy, but alas, my only computer-ish companion is my trusty MacBook, Sasha. So no Audiosurf for me.

It's okay, Sasha, I still love you... :smalltongue:

:smallconfused: Is that a TF2 reference? Kinda ironic in that you would name your macbook that when you can't get Steam on it.

Don't worry Macbook, I'll give you a name someday...

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-12, 07:14 PM
Now this sounds awesome, I'll have to have a look at the demo.

*snicker* Sasha... *continues laughing at an inside joke no one here would know*

Enlong
2008-08-12, 07:19 PM
Now this sounds awesome, I'll have to have a look at the demo.

*snicker* Sasha... *continues laughing at an inside joke no one here would know*

Might I take this opportunity to say that your avatar is made of win? Especially considering what you just said. It makes me want to snicker alongside the guy in the picture.

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-12, 07:22 PM
Might I take this opportunity to say that your avatar is made of win? Especially considering what you just said. It makes me want to snicker alongside the guy in the picture.

:smallbiggrin::smallcool:

It only works because only a few people know who that is. But that's a derailment for another day.

Fri
2008-08-12, 07:45 PM
Well, I tried it some times ago somewhere. Kinda iffy, but it gets boring after a short while.

It's really cool, looking at your music turned into a racing track. But that's it.

Crow
2008-08-12, 08:35 PM
Do you have to use mp3's or CD audio or what? I'm websensed here so i can't check it out for hours.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-12, 08:43 PM
Ahh, I ssaw this on youtube or dailymotion once... Great game by the looks of it, and always wondered where I could find it...

Oh and Crow...

websensed? :smallconfused:

alexeduardo
2008-08-12, 08:50 PM
AWESOME!
I have only played the demo, though.
where can you buy it?

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-12, 08:54 PM
AWESOME!
I have only played the demo, though.
where can you buy it?

Steam, and only steam. I gave a link in my OP.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-12, 09:22 PM
The game accepts most mp3's on your comupter. The only problem I've been having is the DRM some companies include with their songs for download. Although that can be easily overcome, if not tedious.

As for the game, its awesome. I still play it now and then, and find it the most fun when I have a friend to compete against. I'm still trying to beat a certain friends through the fire and the flames score (not a song to play on audiosurf for the weak of heart).

As for buying the game, just go to steampowered.com , download Steam, then visit their store. I think its 10$. Steam is also a great way to keep in-contact with friends, and see what they are playing. There is also a GitP steam group. If anyones interested, just post your username in the orange box thread.

Dragor
2008-08-14, 05:28 PM
Arrrrgh I bought AudioSurf today.

The 'arrrgh' is 'OW MY WRIST'. I think I've got repetitive strain. I've been going through my back catalogue of music and systematically trying every song. I think I've been through perhaps six hours of AudioSurf today.

I love this game so much. *flying hug tackle*

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-14, 05:30 PM
Good to know you like it :smallsmile:

Sadly, I can't but it due to my parent's unexplicable hate of paypal...

Dragor
2008-08-14, 05:39 PM
Good to know you like it :smallsmile:

Sadly, I can't but it due to my parent's unexplicable hate of paypal...

Unlucky mate. One thing I will say, though, is beware; this game is frightfully addictive and frustrating at times- I'm not that good and muck up quite a lot, because I'm not that good at managing my car and managing my colour stacks. It's quite frustrating, because I end up overfilling either way. :smallannoyed:

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-14, 05:41 PM
If paypals out Im guessing that credit cards are no good either? Steam does need to get some other way to aquire store credit. Like how iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace use pre-paid cards. Same with most MMO's. Many people are still pretty suspisious of transfering internet these days.

Edit: To avoid that problem ^ I usually play solely on the Ninja modes. Less thinking and more song enjoying with those.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-14, 06:37 PM
When it comes to difficulty, I know. I played the demo, and the four songs I chose were: throguh the fire and the flames, (well this wasn't me but it looked very hard) I don't want to set the world on fire, and similarly hard songs. It is DAMN fun though.

Geno9999
2008-08-14, 07:29 PM
Ya know, I might play this to the tune of Fire Emblem's "Together We Ride" theme (Fire Emblem theme from Melee and recrutement theme in FE) if I didn't have to buy it.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-14, 07:43 PM
The demo let's you play a total of four races, and also you can choose from 2 easy, 1 advanced and 1 pro level vehicle, I belive. Man, I reall want to buy this....:smallfrown: I reccomend the demo to everyone.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-14, 07:50 PM
Ahh, I saw this on youtube or dailymotion once... :
If anyone else has seen this video, it's fairly different from the game itself.