PDA

View Full Version : How would you cast OotS?

Staven
2008-08-12, 08:28 PM
Imagine a (for the most part) live action film adaptation of the Order of the Stick. What actors/actresses would you have play the characters? This has been giving me some trouble, but I would start out with this:

Xykon would, I think, be voiced by James Woods, based on his performance of Hades in the undervalued Disney Adaptation of Hercules.

Vaarsuvius would be played by the famously androgynous singer/actor David Bowie.

I'd like Michelle Yeoh, of Tomorrow Never Dies fame, to play Miko (she might be a little old, though).

If anyone has done a thread like this before, kindly link me to it. I'm curious.

alexeduardo
2008-08-12, 08:40 PM
How about the dude from Spiderman for Nale?

Roy would certainly be chris rock, though (think of the possibilities!)

The Extinguisher
2008-08-12, 08:58 PM
Where's that list I made?

:roy: - Bruce Willis
:elan: - Alan Tudyk
:belkar: - Johnny Depp
:vaarsuvius: - pick any emo singer. Any. :smalltongue:

:xykon: - John Cleese or Ray Wise. One of the two. Maybe both.
:redcloak: - Simon Pegg
:mitd: - Callumn Blue
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/Tsukiko.png - Kathy Coppolla
:roach: - Nick Frost

:nale: - Alan Tudyk
:sabine: - Helena Bonham Carter
:thog: - Ron Perlman

:miko: - Tara Sands
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1204323/Shojo.jpg - Alan Rickman
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/O-Chul.png - Mandy Patinkin

Lupy
2008-08-12, 09:05 PM
I love these threads:

Everyone: Mister Rogers with their puppet. How would that not be awesome?

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 09:13 PM
:roy:-Denzel Washington
:belkar: -Wally Shawn if he were younger. Maybe Vern Troyer
:durkon:-Just because I can't think of anyone else, John Rees Davies
:elan:-Axel hit this right on the head, Alan Tudyk
:vaarsuvius:-Marilyn Manson
:haley:-Juno (completely blanking on the actress's name right now.
:xykon:-James Woods or Seth Green

Warren Dew
2008-08-12, 09:21 PM
I hardly watch any movies, but I'd vote for the following:

:roy: - Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu from Revenge of the Sith)
:miko: - Maggie Cheung (Flying Snow from Hero)

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 09:27 PM
Oh yeah.

:roach:-Eric Idle
Shojo: -Sean Connory

dps
2008-08-12, 09:39 PM
Roy - Harrison Ford
Elan/Nale - Ron Howard
Haley - Christina Applegate
V - Linda Hunt
Belkar - Fred Willard
Durkon - Ian McKellen
Roy's Dad - Peter Boyle
Xykon - Christopher Walken
Redcloak - Michael Keaton
MitD - McCaulay Culkin
Celia - Yeardly Smith
Sabine - Helena Bonham-Carter
Thog - Richard Moll

Unfortunately, most of them are too old for the parts if you do a live-action film, or have a completely wrong look, or both. Walken, Keaton, and maybe Culkin would still work, I think.

Oh, and James Hong for Shojo.

Haruki-kun
2008-08-12, 09:44 PM

PERFECT for the part.

Hehe.... MITD with a British accent? :smalltongue:

The Extinguisher
2008-08-12, 09:46 PM
Hehe.... MITD with a British accent? :smalltongue:

Oh yes :smalltongue:

Graymayre
2008-08-12, 09:55 PM
Nale - Bruce Campbell
Roy - Ving Rhames
Shojo - Adam West
Belkar (voice only) - Steve Buschemi
Xykon - like the idea of James Woods (considering his Disney's Hercules performance)

*yawn* I'm done.

krossbow
2008-08-12, 09:59 PM
Brendan fraser as Elan DEFINITELY.
brendan fraser as nale too.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 10:01 PM
I can't believe I missed this.
:belkar:-Jonothan Ian Mathews (Foamy the Squirrel on illwillpress,com.) At least for the voice.

MReav
2008-08-12, 10:09 PM
Belkar: Eljah Wood. He's been shown to be able to play hobbits and homicidal maniacs interchangeably. Plus I like the irony.

Not being that serious.

Staven
2008-08-12, 10:24 PM
Alan Tudyk as Elan is a good idea, but we need an homage...in an adaptation of origin of the PCs he has a mustache and haley doesn't like him.

How about Albert Brooks as Redcloak's voice?

Jet Li as Hinjo is too easy. How about...Ken Watanabe?

Christian Bale could cameo as Guy with Halbred. Now I feel dirty for appeasing GwH's fans.

I want to work Neil Patrick Harris into the cast, but I don't know how. Maybe he could play Daigo. Or he could voice Monster in the Darkness.

The Smith family could play some of the Greenhilt family. Will Smith could do Roy, Jada Pinkett could play...his mom who's name escapes me, and Will's kid (you know, the one from Pursuit of Happiness) could play Eric.

The order of the Scribble:

Girard would be Edward Norton

Lirian would be Megan Fox

Gordon Liu (the master in Kill Bill 2) could be Soon Kim

Dorukon would be Matt Damon

Kraagor. Hmm. Whoever was Gimlee. I'm not trying too hard for this one.

Serini would be a fun role for Abigail Breslin (little miss sunshine, Nim's Island)

Ok, that's it for now. Trying to think of someone for Celia.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 10:30 PM
Kraagor. Hmm. Whoever was Gimlee. I'm not trying too hard for this one.

John Reese Davies, my vote for Durkon.

Ganurath
2008-08-12, 10:35 PM
Belkar: Danny DaVito

blackspeeker
2008-08-12, 10:37 PM
I love these threads:

Everyone: Mister Rogers with their puppet. How would that not be awesome?

I agree with this, and it should be similar to how Elan recounts the events of dungeon crawlin' fools.

kpenguin
2008-08-12, 11:08 PM
If SoD is to believed, Xykon's lich voice sounds a lot like James Earl Jones, just a wee bit higher pitched.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 11:13 PM
If SoD is to believed, Xykon's lich voice sounds a lot like James Earl Jones, just a wee bit higher pitched.

Doesn't seem like it would though.

Linkavitch
2008-08-13, 01:08 PM
Brendan fraser as Elan DEFINITELY.
brendan fraser as nale too.

That would be AWESOME!!! His performance as George in the Jungle is Perfect for Elan!

Laurentio II
2008-08-13, 01:17 PM
I don't know enough of actors to give my opinion, but let me just say: anyone but Peter Jackson. Please, for the Giant's sake, not Peter Jackson!

Rogue 7
2008-08-13, 02:16 PM
That would be AWESOME!!! His performance as George in the Jungle is Perfect for Elan!

I must disagree. Upon seeing FMA's choice of Alan Tudyk (Wash from Firefly) for Elan, I immediately said: "yes!"

If Xykon's just going to have a voice, I'd nominate Mark Hamill, as I did in the "voice actor" thread. The Joker beats Hades (though that's a good second choice)

You know who'd be a good choice for Roy? Turk's actor from Scrubs. Maybe a bit too happy for Roy's brand of humor, but otherwise a very good fit.

Hinjo: Daniel Dae Kim.

ref
2008-08-13, 02:43 PM
Hehe... Won't remember much of what I said the other time...

Let's see.
Danny DeVito as Belkar Bitterleaf
Samuel L Jackson as Roy Greenhilt
Milla Jovovic as Haley Starshine
Jake Lloyd as Elan and Nale
Halle Berry as Sabine

As for Miko Miyazaki, I've recently switched to Lt. Boomer from Galactica. What's her name again?

Spiryt
2008-08-13, 02:49 PM
John Reese Davies, my vote for Durkon.

Rhys Davies.

And seriously, Tim Roth for Belkar. With maybe some tricks to made his face more halfling like and chubby (I imagine Belkar similary to classical hobbit, but that's not necesary since halflings are no longer like that in 3.5).

Otherwise, he fits comletely.

Rogue 7
2008-08-13, 03:06 PM
Hehe... Won't remember much of what I said the other time...

Let's see.
Danny DeVito as Belkar Bitterleaf
Samuel L Jackson as Roy Greenhilt
Jake Lloyd as Elan and Nale
Halle Berry as Sabine

As for Miko Miyazaki, I've recently switched to Lt. Boomer from Galactica. What's her name again?

Jake Lloyd's a bit young, isn't he? Assuming I remember correctly and you're talking about Anakin Skywalker from The Phantom Menace, he'd be about 19, right? He was nine when he made The Phantom Menace, if I recall correctly, and it's only been 10 years or so. Elan's mid-twenties, I'd suggest someone slightly older.

As to Boomer's actress- no idea, but she's hot.

Staven
2008-08-13, 03:25 PM
Jake Lloyd isn't a particularly good actor, and Elan is 29. I like the idea of Tim Roth as Belkar, if he does the same stuff he did in the Incredible Hulk, it'd be very funny, not to mention kickass. The best way to determine who could play Belkar is to look at http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html and imagine who could be seen doing that the best. On that note, I personally would elect Brad Pitt. Just shrink him.

You know who'd be a good choice for Roy? Turk's actor from Scrubs. Maybe a bit too happy for Roy's brand of humor, but otherwise a very good fit. Donald Faison. Might be a good descision, but I don't think I could see him as a straight man. I can't see him hating life as much as Roy Does. On the note of actors from Scrubs, though, can anyone see Sarah Chalke as Celia?

I personally don't like Milla Jovovic that much. IMO, she's been ruining action flicks with her "Deus Ex Femina" roles (Aeon Flux, Resident Evil, any of them, take your pick), and I can't see her playing a deep character like Haley. I like the idea of Ellen Paige (That's Juno, SilentNight), but she might be a little young (she's 21).

I could totally see Halle Berry as Sabine, though.

Jason Lee could voice the Cockroaches. Or Qarr. Any demonic entity, just look at him in Dogma.

EDIT: Actually, copying and pasting the cast from Dogma might not be such a bad idea. Ben Affleck could play a funny V, same goes for Matt Damon as Elan and Nale.

Spiryt
2008-08-13, 03:33 PM
Jake Lloyd isn't a particularly good actor, and Elan is 29. I like the idea of Tim Roth as Belkar, if he does the same stuff he did in the Incredible Hulk, it'd be very funny, not to mention kickass. The best way to determine who could play Belkar is to look at http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html and imagine who could be seen doing that the best. On that note, I personally would elect Brad Pitt. Just shrink him.

Uh, I personally was thinking about Roth beacuse, for example "Four Rooms" and "Rob Roy". And also about his face and generall sarcasm. But I'm sure he'll do "SSGoW" well though.

Althoug this scene would be anyway extremaly hard to do without making it look like "Power Rangers".

ref
2008-08-13, 03:40 PM
How about Rose McGowan?

I agree on Jake Lloyd, was based on looks more than anything else.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-13, 03:43 PM
Elan is 21. Roy is 29

Dacia Brabant
2008-08-13, 04:17 PM
Dredging up my list from an older thread, with a few changes:

:roy: Vin Diesel is still the only person I'd trust to play the lead in a D&D movie.

:elan: / :nale: the best idea I've seen for this is Cary Elwes/Cary Elwes with a goatee. I know he's too old but think of the funny!

:haley: Kiera Knightly is probably the likeliest choice.

:vaarsuvius: Tilda Swinton

:durkon: Sean Connery--the Celebrity Jeopardy version (i.e. a badly done Scottish accent)

:belkar: Andy Serkis--we already know he can play the part of a murderous halfling.

:miko: Ziyi Zhang Lucy Liu

:Shojo: James Hong

:Hinjo: Ken Watanabe

:O-chul: Chuck Norris :smalltongue:

:xykon: Hugh Laurie's sarcasm is the only match for Xykon's

:redcloak: Rowan Atkinson

:mitd: Tony Robinson

:roach: seconded on Eric Idle as suggested above

:Tsukiko: Devon Aoki

:sabine: Angelina Jolie reprising her role from "Beowulf"

:thog: Lou Ferrigno

:Therkla: ...I'm really at a loss on this one. Any ideas?

Staven
2008-08-13, 05:11 PM
Maybe Hillary Swank for Therkla, she's played a very martial character twice before.

:vaarsuvius: Tilda Swinson could do it, but I like to think that Vaarsuvius is a guy. Plus even if he/she wasn't, David Bowie would still make sense.

Chronos
2008-08-13, 06:05 PM
:nale: - Alan TudykCurse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

SuperSnotling
2008-08-13, 06:14 PM
:xykon: Hugh Laurie's sarcasm is the only match for Xykon's

:redcloak: Rowan Atkinson

:mitd: Tony Robinson

Seconded. All of the above. I'd pay good money to see that film.

Has to be 'British' Hugh Laurie though, from his Blackadder III days, not the 'American' Hugh Laurie from House.

Wow, I'm already having OotSadder moments...

We have to get Stephen Fry in there somewhere, any suggestions?

Sir_Chivalry
2008-08-13, 07:29 PM
We have to get Stephen Fry in there somewhere, any suggestions?

The Oracle?

AlexanderRM
2008-08-13, 09:41 PM
Obviously, OOTS would have to be a cartoon movie in OOTS style. Otherwise it would be just weird. Seriously, OOTS played by live actors would just not be OOTS, even the non-stick-figure cartoons stretch it.

:vaarsuvius: Tilda Swinson could do it, but I like to think that Vaarsuvius is a guy. Plus even if he/she wasn't, David Bowie would still make sense.
Which brings up the point that an OOTS movie would give away Vs' gender in a matter of seconds. Even an animated one would have problems with the voice actor. I suppose it might be doable, but it could be hard.

Also, how would they do the effect with the different-colored speech bubbles? Does anyone know what kind of voice that's supposed to imply?

SmartAlec
2008-08-13, 10:40 PM
Burt Kwouk (Cato in the Pink Panther series, among other things) as Lord Shojo. He's the right age, has more or less the right face in my mind, and he's shown in the past he has the talent for the absurd and funny, the serious and straight AND the sarcastic put-down.

And I daresay he could use the work.

Crinos
2008-08-13, 11:53 PM
On another board I actually came up with a thread about who should be the Voice Actors for an Order of the stick animated feature, and me and a friend of mine came up with this list:

:roy: : Brett Butler (Dr. Quinn from Sealab 2021)

:haley:Grey DeLisle (Frankie Foster from Fosters home for Imaginary friends)

:elan: / :nale: : Micheal Rosenbaum (Flash from Justice League and lex Luthor from Smallville)

:durkon: : John Rhys-Davies (Macbeth from Gargoyles)

:vaarsuvius: : Tara Strong (Raven from Teen Titans)

:belkar: : Richard Steven Horvitz (Razputin from Psychonauts (among others))

:sabine: : Venus Terzo (Black Arachnia on Beast Wars)

:thog: : Richard Moll (Two Face on Batman: The Animated Series)

:xykon: : Fred Willard (The Boogeyman from the grim adventures of Billy and Mandy)

:redcloak: : Clancey Brown (Lex Luthor from JLU)

:mitd: : Maxwell Atoms (Jeff the Spider from the grim adventures of Billy and Mandy)

:miko: Ming Na (Fa Mulan from Disney's Mulan)

Tsukiko: Lauren Tom (Amy Wong from Futurama)

Celia: Hynden Walsh (Starfire/Blackfire from Teen Titans)

Hinjo: Masi Oka (Hiro from Heroes)

O-Chul: Keone Young (Jeong Jeong from Avatar the last airbender)

Lord Shojo: Sab Shimono (Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures)

Damiyo Kubota: George Takei (Sulu from Star Trek)

Therkla: Cat Taber (Padme from the animated clone wars)

Qarr: John Di Maggio (Dr. Drakken from Kim Possible)

The Oracle: Dana Snyder (Master Shake from Aquateen hunger force)

Eugene Greenhilt: Micheal Dorn (Worf from Star Trek: TNG)

Think the only major/recurring characters we didn't come up with VA's for were the demon cockroaches.

EDIT: Also, hi everyone, glad to be here.

Spiky
2008-08-14, 12:05 AM
Obviously, OOTS would have to be a cartoon movie in OOTS style. Otherwise it would be just weird. Seriously, OOTS played by live actors would just not be OOTS, even the non-stick-figure cartoons stretch it.
Agree. And I think it would suck. D&D rules in any sort of movie....can't see it. I like the comic.

Which brings up the point that an OOTS movie would give away Vs' gender in a matter of seconds. Even an animated one would have problems with the voice actor. I suppose it might be doable, but it could be hard.
Well, the actor would be obvious, but the character would still be androgenous. Think Pat and Chris from SNL. (just not greasy)

Also, how would they do the effect with the different-colored speech bubbles? Does anyone know what kind of voice that's supposed to imply?
Different echo-y background effects while speaking. And distinctive voices. I'm trying to remember, this might have been done as far back as the Wizard of Oz. Hogfather would be an example. And, dare I mention, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

Staven
2008-08-14, 12:46 AM
Has to be 'British' Hugh Laurie though, from his Blackadder III days, not the 'American' Hugh Laurie from House.

I'm picturing redcloak walking downstairs after interrogating O-Chul and promptly punting a cat. My favorite gag in the whole series. Ooh! Idea forming. The guy who played Baldrick could do MitD. However, Neil Patrick Harris, like I said before, would be a nice choice, too.

RichardAK
2008-08-14, 01:39 AM
I completely disagree with the idea that Mandy Patinkin should play O-Chul. Mandy Patinkin, and only Mandy Patinkin, must play Julio Scoundrél!

As for other parts, how about Joe Pesci for Belkar? He's short and certainly has experience playing funny but vicious psychopaths.

Connington
2008-08-14, 01:47 AM
Xykon would, I think, be voiced by James Woods, based on his performance of Hades in the undervalued Disney Adaptation of Hercules.

My god, I've just realized I've been mentally reading Xykon's lines with James Woods' voice all this time, and haven't realized it. I'm not kidding.

ref
2008-08-14, 05:09 AM

Baron Ashura, anyone?

Mc. Lovin'
2008-08-14, 05:57 AM

Nice ideas, I like John Clease

Staven
2008-08-14, 02:16 PM
I just had a great Idea: Harry Shearer could voice Redcloak and use a Smithers voice.

Deathwisher
2008-08-14, 02:35 PM

Well, maybe we should use Jamie Lee Curtiss for V :smallwink:. Otherwise, you can take an a actor/actress who has experience in playing roles of the opposite gender. It would be difficult to do, but it shouldn't be impossible to keep V's gender in doubt.

Warren Dew
2008-08-14, 08:01 PM
Jet Li as Hinjo is too easy. How about...Ken Watanabe?

You could use Jet Li for O-chul.

Graymayre
2008-08-14, 08:08 PM
:smallbiggrin:
I must disagree. Upon seeing FMA's choice of Alan Tudyk (Wash from Firefly) for Elan, I immediately said: "yes!"

If Xykon's just going to have a voice, I'd nominate Mark Hamill, as I did in the "voice actor" thread. The Joker beats Hades (though that's a good second choice)

You know who'd be a good choice for Roy? Turk's actor from Scrubs. Maybe a bit too happy for Roy's brand of humor, but otherwise a very good fit.

Alan Tudyk would be awesome, then again, I would use the entire cast of Firefly if I could :smallsmile:.

I am more unsure of Turk as Roy, whenever I see him, I just can't get into the idea of him leading the OOTS.

But it would be cool for Dr. Cox to be someone like Xykon :smallbiggrin:.

As for Thog, I could imagine Andre the Giant fullfilling that role.

Phae Nymna
2008-08-15, 12:53 PM

You have my full approval.

Lissou
2008-08-15, 01:51 PM
I always picture Hinjo looking like Matsumoto Jun (http://hilight.kapook.com/admin_hilight/spaw2/newimg/star/Matsumoto%20Jun-1.jpg)

ref
2008-08-15, 02:01 PM
Lucy Liu as Lien.

mcv
2008-08-15, 02:03 PM
You know who'd be a good choice for Roy? Turk's actor from Scrubs.

No, you need someone who radiates intelligence. Maybe Isaiah Washington (Preston Burke from Grey's Anatomy).

Spiryt
2008-08-15, 02:07 PM
Uh, guys, why are you planning Bruce Willis as Roy? :smallconfused:

Apart from the fact that his body shape, face, and generall acting manner don't really fit, he's you know, white.

Or is there some other Bruce Willis I'm not aware of?

No, you need someone who radiates intelligence. Maybe Isaiah Washington (Preston Burke from Grey's Anatomy).

I won't say that ":radiating intelligence" is something I would connect with Roy or this guy, but this he indeed would be great as Roy. Nice search.

Rogue 7
2008-08-15, 02:19 PM
I cannot picture Preston Burke with a greatsword.

mcv
2008-08-15, 02:38 PM

Xykon is not quite a handsome young nincompoop, but I do agree Hugh Laurie could do an excellent Xykon that's stupid, cunning, thoroughly evil yet believable. House convinced me he can do anything.

Spiryt
2008-08-15, 02:41 PM
I cannot picture Preston Burke with a greatsword.

Why not? I don't know this Grey's Anatomy, but few searching's over the net gave me nice results.

Just imagine that this (http://z.about.com/d/tvdramas/1/5/4/5/iwashington.jpg) is blue coat over breastplate, brigandine or something. Shave this hair of him, and probably send to a gym for a while...

His face look very Royish.

mcv
2008-08-15, 04:47 PM
Just imagine that this (http://z.about.com/d/tvdramas/1/5/4/5/iwashington.jpg) is blue coat over breastplate, brigandine or something. Shave this hair of him, and probably send to a gym for a while...

He has, er, very nice abs already. Not very broad in the shoulders, though.

Kaytara
2008-08-15, 04:58 PM
Belkar cast by... Johny Depp? O.O Oh gods oh gods oh gods... That gives me chills... He'd be absolutely brilliant, and completely psychotic. He can pull off that insane twinkle in his eyes really well, you know? Also, he played the role of the cold-blooded killer more than well enough in Sweeney Todd, so...

Smirky Jack Sparrow + Sweeney Todd - Wisdom = Belkar.....

Spiryt
2008-08-15, 04:59 PM
He has, er, very nice abs already. Not very broad in the shoulders, though.

Well, I don't really care about his abs (whatever it is, Im not good with those terms) or shoulders, it's that just for me Roy is big guy, (judging from the comic), so I'm saying that he could use some gym to appear really warriorish -tall, lean, yet powerful.

Net sites states his height at around 185, so he would indeed fit quite well as Roy.

Synthetic
2008-08-16, 12:35 AM
Alright, here's my definitive OotS live-action cast.

:roy: - J August Richards
:elan: - Jared Leto
:belkar: - Tommy Flanagan
:vaarsuvius: - Jamie Campbell Bower (has the whole androgyny thing down)
:haley: - Natalie Portman
:durkon: - Clive Owen
:xykon: - CGI Animated, Voiced by Kiefer Sutherland (try to tell me you can think of someone who'd sound funnier saying "I think I just had an evilgasm" than Sutherland's Phone Booth voice)

The Extinguisher
2008-08-16, 12:38 AM
Uh, guys, why are you planning Bruce Willis as Roy? :smallconfused:

Apart from the fact that his body shape, face, and generall acting manner don't really fit, he's you know, white.

Or is there some other Bruce Willis I'm not aware of?

Because appearance doens't matter when it's voice acting.

Which again, is the only reason Oots should be made into a movie.
Did I not mention that. I thought I did.