PDA

View Full Version : what is that weapon enchantment...

Stycotl
2008-08-12, 10:15 PM
i could swear there was one that increases the critical multiplier of a weapon. someone help me out here and tell me if i'm smoking crack, or if i'm remembering right, and where it is. thanks. aaron out.

Crow
2008-08-12, 10:17 PM
edit: My bad, totally wrong.

Mr Pants
2008-08-12, 10:31 PM
Well I just looked through the magic item compendium and couldn't find it. Such a property could easily be homebrewed as probably a +1 bonus, same as keen.

RTGoodman
2008-08-12, 10:33 PM
I just checked in the MIC and didn't see anything like that as a weapon special ability, and the only thing similar I can think of off the top of my head is that there might be some class abilities that increase critical multiplier. Sorry. :smallfrown:

EDIT: Ninja'd! And I agree with Mr. Pants that it'd probably be a good +1 or +2 property.

Stycotl
2008-08-12, 10:36 PM
thanks. maybe i am smoking crack...

adanedhel9
2008-08-12, 10:36 PM
There is mercurial from the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide. I don't remember if that's actually an enhancement or a special material.

Common wisdom dictates that increased multipliers are problematic, so you're not likely to find them very often. If you're looking for something in the same vein, there's maiming from the Magic Item Compendium that grants extra dice of damage on criticals.

UglyPanda
2008-08-12, 10:46 PM
Increased multipliers aren't done often, and I don't think it's been done at all in first-party printed material. There's the psychic weapon master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d), but that's a prestige class and not an enhancement. I believe it's because it would be mixed with keen weapons that have wide critical ranges (rapiers, falchions), which the creators did not want.

Mercurial Longswords and Greatswords are from Sword & Fist. They're exotic weapons which have a x4 multiplier instead of 19-20/x2

Douglas
2008-08-12, 10:53 PM
Piercing and slashing weapons made from Kaorti Resin have a x4 crit multiplier. The Fiend Folio has rules for a few specific weapons only, I think, but this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) expands it to all piercing and slashing weapons. So, find yourself a rogue Kaorti and commission a +1 Keen Falchion with 15-20/x4 crits.

Stycotl
2008-08-12, 11:31 PM
thank you all for the responses. i am looking into some of those ideas now.

Mr Pants
2008-08-13, 01:18 AM
iirc the throwing master prestige class from CW has an ability that increases the crit multiplier with thrown weapons

arguskos
2008-08-13, 01:25 AM
There was the Serrated ability that was exactly like keen, but stacked with it. It's not really what your looking for, and I don't recall where it was from, but it was pretty awesome (like a +1 or +2 ability).

-argus

slexlollar89
2008-08-13, 01:47 AM
Where is this serrated ability?

Thurbane
2008-08-13, 01:49 AM
From the Miniatures Handbook:

Maiming: A weapon with this special ability twists and digs into the flesh of the creatures it strikes true. This weapon has a random critical multiplier for critical hits. If the weapon normally has a X2 critical multiplier, roll 1d4 each time you successfully score a critical hit to determine your multiplier. For weapons with a X3 multiplier, roll 1d6 to determine the new multiplier. For a X4 multiplier, roll 1d8.
Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge; Price +1 bonus.

Of course, it got nerfed when reprinted in the MiC.

There is also the Dragonhunter enhancement from the MiC that lets a bow deal x4 critical against dragons.

I can't put my finger on it, but I think there's also a spell (possibly Assassin, possibly in the Spell Compendium) that increases the critical multiplier of a weapon...

arguskos
2008-08-13, 01:57 AM
Where is this serrated ability?
I don't really recall too well. I want to say it was in the 3.0 Arms and Equipment Guide, but that isn't used by too many folks anymore, and I'm not really sure. Can someone with that book check?

-argus

Thurbane
2008-08-13, 02:09 AM
I don't really recall too well. I want to say it was in the 3.0 Arms and Equipment Guide, but that isn't used by too many folks anymore, and I'm not really sure. Can someone with that book check?

-argus
Nope, can't see it in there...

slexlollar89
2008-08-13, 02:57 AM
ah that's okay... I was just thinking about a character a friend played in 3.0-3.5 that was a disciple of dispater. He wound up having a -1-20 crit range with his weapon!

Rei_Jin
2008-08-13, 03:42 AM
With that kind of Crit Range, he's probably using Bladed Gauntlets (the 17-20x2 type, before they got nerfed) with Improved Critical and Keen, then Weapon Master in them.

You can get a Crit range of 7-20 on those, not sure how you'd get -1 - 20 without doing some really bad maths

Eldariel
2008-08-13, 11:05 AM
Disciple of Dispater gets two stacking Crit-range improvements.