PDA

View Full Version : Which NON-HOLLYWOOD actors would voice OOTS?

Firestar27
2008-08-12, 10:32 PM
I know that the question of which actors would voice OOTS has been done to death already. So I'm making it interesting. Which actors would voice (so it doesn't matter how they look) the OOTS characters? The condition is that they can't be in Hollywood (or any equivalent in other countries, such as Bollywood ((I think that's India's equivalent))). They also can't be mainstream (so no loopholes about how such and such actor technically doesn't work in Hollywood).

My suggestions:

Elan/Nale: Paul Sanders (http://loadingreadyrun.com/info/about) (He can act extremely silly as shown in a few videos, and he has a great stereotypical evil villain monologues as shown in the videos. In addition, Elan and Nale likely have a similar voice as all Nale had to do was shave the beard to be mistaken for Elan. Plus, they're identical twins.)
Roy: Graham Stark (http://loadingreadyrun.com/info/about) (He has shown his attitude of sarcastic response in the idea of "I can insult you safe in the knowledge that you can't understand me" ((that was a quote from somewhere on GITP or in one of the books)). That is shown here (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/214/its-very-simple). He has shown himself to be a great actor in the videos.)

kpenguin
2008-08-12, 10:56 PM
Voice Actor: Little Kuriboh
Character: All of Them

Grey Watcher
2008-08-12, 11:09 PM
I nominate myself to play Elan and Nale. Why? Because I'm a tenor and don't do a bad "Danny Boy" if I do say so myself.

Falconer
2008-08-12, 11:56 PM
It would be awesome if I could somehow voice Nale or Thog. :smalltongue:

non-hollywood actors in the Playground, UNITE!

Linkavitch
2008-08-13, 01:25 PM
I'd like to play Thog. "Thog brought breadcrumbs!" I could totally do that.

Rogue 7
2008-08-13, 02:01 PM
Drawing on my voice-actor knowledge and geekery....

Haley: My favorite voice for female action-types is Jennifer Hale- she did Female Sheperd in Mass Effect, Sheena from Tales of Symphonia, and a bunch of others. Her voice would fit well.

Xykon: Mark Hamill. Xykon's like a skeletal Joker, and Hamill's portrayal of him was widely thought to be the best until Heath Ledger came around.

Vaarsuvius: Can't recall his name, but the guy who does the voice of Lloyd Asplund (crazy, white-haired inventor dude) in the english dub of Code Geass would work pretty well- somewhat effeminate and ever-so-slightly nuts. Now, I know V is perfectly logical and whatnot, but the whole "man of science without much focus" concept would work well. Plus, the guy's got an incredible range- apparently he's also the English Gaara.

Roy: I don't know how good he is at snarking, but Steve Blum (Spike Spiegel is his most famous, but he's done lots of work. Unfortunately, the only other one I can recall right now is Todoh on Code Geass (can you tell I really like that show?)) is undeniably badass.

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-08-13, 02:33 PM
As I saw in another thread.

All of the characters played as puppets being held by Mr. Rogers.

Joran
2008-08-13, 03:00 PM
Haley: My favorite voice for female action-types is Jennifer Hale- she did Female Sheperd in Mass Effect, Sheena from Tales of Symphonia, and a bunch of others. Her voice would fit well.

Another vote in her favor would be that she usually voices red haired characters...

kaptainkrutch
2008-08-13, 03:32 PM
Billy West as Elan, Belkar, and plenty of others. He's really shown his diversity with Futurama. I don't think Elan and Nale should have the same voice actor.

Diddgery
2008-08-13, 03:50 PM
I think Yuri Lowenthal would be a good choice as a voice actor for any which character. He's a rather varied voice actor, so he could probably play any of the male characters. I was particularly thinking Redcloak or Nale.

SilentNight
2008-08-13, 03:57 PM
Jonathan Ian Mathers. (http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html) as Belkar. With a slightly deeper voice. Watch Cell Phones &car ads. Don't go if you are easily offended.

Grey Watcher
2008-08-13, 04:04 PM
Billy West as Elan, Belkar, and plenty of others. He's really shown his diversity with Futurama. I don't think Elan and Nale should have the same voice actor.

Well, in when Nale took his brother's plae in the OotS, he was able to imitate his brother's voice very easily, and on at least one occasion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0336.html), without his even trying, his voice was mistaken for Elan's.

imp_fireball
2008-08-13, 05:44 PM
Roy: Graham Stark (http://loadingreadyrun.com/info/about) (He has shown his attitude of sarcastic response in the idea of "I can insult you safe in the knowledge that you can't understand me" ((that was a quote from somewhere on GITP or in one of the books)). That is shown

A white guy playing a black guy? Whu-oh! Haha, jk. But really; I imagine Roy would have kind of a deep but lordly voice (not barry white... rather medieval 'hoo ha' posh), with the tone of 'what the H man!' and some education, a lot of the time.

On an unrelated note, Rich should do a small spin-off of OoTS wherein the characters had to exhibit hollywood cliche' personalities.

Ie. Roy: "Does Roy have to smack-a-bitch, to get some cooperation 'round here?!"

I nominate myself to play Elan and Nale. Why? Because I'm a tenor and don't do a bad "Danny Boy" if I do say so myself.

Nale's voice is a lot more melodramatic, imo. Like 'Ha-ha!' in a manly way >=D (ala monty python's holy grail wherein the knights laugh man-like), rather Elan would go 'Aha-ha-ha-ha! You're so funny, I do enjoy funny people!" (ala Mozart, from that movie (forgot the name)). It'd help the audience to identify the two, aside from a little yellow triangle at the lower part of Nale's face. It'd also be kind of funny that the character's often wouldn't be listening to the tone of each's voice (particularly during the episode in which Nale shaved himself).

Elan's identification of pop-culture in conjunction with his voice would create humor too.

Well, in when Nale took his brother's plae in the OotS, he was able to imitate his brother's voice very easily, and on at least one occasion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0336.html), without his even trying, his voice was mistaken for Elan's.

With audio, it'd be obviously be presented humorously, with Nale being all 'Oh my no, I do not think so in the way that I am half-witted! Er... yah, to that extent, I believe.'

Nail completely sounding like his bro would either confuse the audience or not be funny at all.

Jonathan Ian Mathers. (http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html) as Belkar. With a slightly deeper voice. Watch Cell Phones &car ads. Don't go if you are easily offended.

Always imagined Belkar with a scratchy, obnoxious 'dammit!' voice; I guess this would fit pretty well.

etraikov
2008-08-14, 09:07 PM

This is the correct answer

Graymayre
2008-08-14, 10:02 PM

I second it.

NeonRonin
2008-08-14, 10:31 PM
I think the voice talents of Matt Chapman and Missy Palmer(from the Homestar Runner website) would be highly amusing. Not sure which characters they would fit best with, though...

The Homestar voice for Elan would be too obvious(and hard to understand). I still think the Strong Bad voice would do very well for Xykon; I've always thought that even though some may give me odd looks. Missy Palmer as Marzipan would probably make an ideal Celia.

Also, if they used the Strong Bad voice for Xykon, how appropriate would it be to use the Strong Sad voice for Redcloak? :smallbiggrin:

imp_fireball
2008-08-16, 09:20 PM
I always imagined xykon's voice as somewhat high-pitched but always menacingly evil. The joke is, however, that the tone of his voice does not change according to his mood.

So if he's surprised, he might as well say "What in the hell just happened, mwahahahahah?!"

It's only funny in the audio. Somewhat akin to Garland and his own version of the 'bad ass evil voice'; he explains that it hurts his throat, and often due, has trouble changing his tone while retaining the voice. :smallbiggrin:

Child Conscript
2008-08-16, 11:03 PM
Rowan Atkinson for Elan :smallbiggrin:

Grey Watcher
2008-08-16, 11:29 PM
...Nale's voice is a lot more melodramatic, imo. Like 'Ha-ha!' in a manly way >=D (ala monty python's holy grail wherein the knights laugh man-like), rather Elan would go 'Aha-ha-ha-ha! You're so funny, I do enjoy funny people!" (ala Mozart, from that movie (forgot the name)). It'd help the audience to identify the two, aside from a little yellow triangle at the lower part of Nale's face. It'd also be kind of funny that the character's often wouldn't be listening to the tone of each's voice (particularly during the episode in which Nale shaved himself).

Elan's identification of pop-culture in conjunction with his voice would create humor too.

I definitely think they should be played very differently, but it just seems to me that the only ways to tell them apart are facial hair and pheremones, so I think it should be the same actor. Oddly, I picture Nale as sound less melodramatic. Not sure who to compare it too, though. As for Elan, I mostly just read his speech patterns as a younger version of myself, actually. Mozart from Amadeus is a little too shrill and self-conscious. He's wild, but it's a much more sophomoric wildness, not Elan's childlike goofiness (which I was full of as a child).

Trizap
2008-08-16, 11:39 PM
I second it.

I fourth that.

what? I'm being nice enough to let someone else third it

Selene
2008-08-17, 02:48 AM
Xykon: Mark Hamill. Xykon's like a skeletal Joker, and Hamill's portrayal of him was widely thought to be the best until Heath Ledger came around.

Agreed. And I haven't seen Heath's Joker yet, but he'll have to be pretty damned good to live up to my expectations after Hamill. After all, Mark leaves Jack Nicholson in the dust.

imp_fireball
2008-08-19, 08:14 PM
I definitely think they should be played very differently, but it just seems to me that the only ways to tell them apart are facial hair and pheremones, so I think it should be the same actor. Oddly, I picture Nale as sound less melodramatic. Not sure who to compare it too, though. As for Elan, I mostly just read his speech patterns as a younger version of myself, actually. Mozart from Amadeus is a little too shrill and self-conscious. He's wild, but it's a much more sophomoric wildness, not Elan's childlike goofiness (which I was full of as a child).

People with high charisma generally tend to attain a permanent self consciousness. Everything they do seems beautiful or attractive, or they are just altogether 'socially comely' as it were. In a fantasy esque way, I imagined Elan as having that sort of shrill fancy pantsy bard ego characteristic about him, as a result of his own noble 'handsomeness'.

He also has a lot of social integrity (he simply has to with 18 charisma), and as such, he's difficult to intimidate because he can make the other person look like a fool in a social circumstance. However, the comic tends to lean towards insulting his intelligence (which obviously leaves not too too much). :)

And being a comedy, the shrill voice is exageratted in a way that he can speak like a normal speaking person of nowadays and still retain the shrill voice in a way. Such that other characters might be secretly thinking, Huh, so that's his normal speaking voice? Ok well, whatever.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-19, 08:42 PM

I third and fifth that. And maybe sixth too.

stabbybelkar
2008-08-21, 07:28 PM
Eugene Greenhilt: Kevin Michael Richardson.
why, two words: Jolee Bindo

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 08:27 PM
I think the voice talents of Matt Chapman and Missy Palmer(from the Homestar Runner website) would be highly amusing. Not sure which characters they would fit best with, though...

The Homestar voice for Elan would be too obvious(and hard to understand). I still think the Strong Bad voice would do very well for Xykon; I've always thought that even though some may give me odd looks. Missy Palmer as Marzipan would probably make an ideal Celia.

Also, if they used the Strong Bad voice for Xykon, how appropriate would it be to use the Strong Sad voice for Redcloak? :smallbiggrin:

Oh wow, that would actually be a good idea. And Strong Mad would be such a good voice for Thog.

Fawkes
2008-08-21, 11:04 PM
Here's my picks:

Roy: Phil LaMarr
Elan/Nale: Billy West
Haley: Jennifer Hale
Durkon: Maurice LaMarche
Belkar: John Di Maggio
Vaarsuvius: James Arnold Taylor
Xykon: Mark Hamill
Redcloak: Maurice LaMarche again
Celia: Kira Buckland (known on the internet as "Kagome")
Eugene: Kevin Michael Richardson

Kinda Futurama-heavy. But Phil LaMarr would be an excellent Roy.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-22, 03:37 AM
Here's my picks:

Roy: Phil LaMarr
Elan/Nale: Billy West
Haley: Jennifer Hale
Durkon: Maurice LaMarche
Belkar: John Di Maggio
Vaarsuvius: James Arnold Taylor
Xykon: Mark Hamill
Redcloak: Maurice LaMarche again
Celia: Kira Buckland (known on the internet as "Kagome")
Eugene: Kevin Michael Richardson

Kinda Futurama-heavy. But Phil LaMarr would be an excellent Roy.

This is a very good list. I would give Durkon to John (have you ever seen the episodes of Samurai Jack with the Scotsman?) David Herman would do Belkar (much better at psychotic evil), Frank Welker... well, I'm sure there is a hundred things that only he could do... lets go with every monster that doesn't speak common for now. I would consider using Dan Castellaneta for Red Cloak.

Tom Kenny could be a great choice for Elan/Nale.

New Characters to the list
MitD: Billy West or Kevin McDonald
Thog: Patrick Wharburton
Sabine: Cree Summer
Miko: Lauren Tom
Demon Roaches: Tom Kenny

Selene
2008-08-22, 05:33 AM
Billy West as Elan/Nale is pure gold. Love it! :smallcool:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-22, 05:39 AM
Ian Mckellen as V?

Dunno if he would be counted as non-hollywood....

Fawkes
2008-08-22, 02:25 PM
This is a very good list. I would give Durkon to John (have you ever seen the episodes of Samurai Jack with the Scotsman?) David Herman would do Belkar (much better at psychotic evil), Frank Welker... well, I'm sure there is a hundred things that only he could do... lets go with every monster that doesn't speak common for now. I would consider using Dan Castellaneta for Red Cloak.

Tom Kenny could be a great choice for Elan/Nale.

New Characters to the list
MitD: Billy West or Kevin McDonald
Thog: Patrick Warburton
Sabine: Cree Summer
Miko: Lauren Tom
Demon Roaches: Tom Kenny

You make some good points about Herman and DiMaggio. Warburton is an EXCELLENT choice for Thog. I'm not sure about Lauren Tom for Miko. I've never heard her do anything except Amy, though. Maybe she'd be fine.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-22, 04:50 PM
You make some good points about Herman and DiMaggio. Warburton is an EXCELLENT choice for Thog. I'm not sure about Lauren Tom for Miko. I've never heard her do anything except Amy, though. Maybe she'd be fine.

Roles you might know

Batman Beyond: Dana (the pined for chick)
Kids next door: Numbuh 3
Jake Long: Jake's Mom

In other words, she does female asian roles. But, she is pretty versatile in that range.

Fawkes
2008-08-27, 07:03 PM
The only one of those I've ever really watched was Batman Beyond, but not in a long time. Has she done any more dramatic roles?

Wreckingrocc
2008-08-27, 07:15 PM

Yes. Except he would have to say that he was actually Dan Green.

EDIT: I mean: I sixth it. I just quoted as soon as I saw it.

Paragon Badger
2008-08-27, 09:41 PM
Non-Hollywood?

So basically, someone that 90% the board won't even recognize?

Thanks.

Thanks alot. :smallamused:

SmartAlec
2008-08-27, 09:57 PM
Grey DeLisle for Sabine. Credits include Viconia in Baldur's Gate 2, the Handmaiden in Knights of the Old Republic 2, and Azula in Avatar: the Last Airbender.

kpenguin
2008-08-27, 10:38 PM
Non-Hollywood?

So basically, someone that 90% the board won't even recognize?

Thanks.

Thanks alot. :smallamused:

To be honest, most of the posts here are advocating mainstream voice actors anyway.

Mando Knight
2008-08-27, 10:49 PM
Eugene Greenhilt: Kevin Michael Richardson.
why, two words: Jolee Bindo

Bad joke, bald man, long story? Yep. Perfect for Eugene Greenhilt.

Fioriboy
2008-08-28, 05:52 AM
I don't know why, but I always imagined that Loki was voiced by the same guy who voices Chazz Princeton from Yu-Gi-Oh GX.

OneFamiliarFace
2008-08-28, 06:31 AM
The cartoon, made-for-tv movie would be about these three's adventuring group before they got their current positions. You just have to make the Chief a womanizer and The Oracle a con-artist, but it pretty much fits any other way.

I'm gonna go a little non-sequitor here and call:

Chief of Cliffport: Groucho Marx
The Oracle: Chico Marx
Guy with a Haldberd: Harpo Marx

[Technically, they aren't Hollywood, because they had an independent and perfectly successful Broadway career which they always used to get what they wanted in their films!]

Firestar27
2008-08-28, 07:48 PM
A white guy playing a black guy? Whu-oh! Haha, jk. But really; I imagine Roy would have kind of a deep but lordly voice (not barry white... rather medieval 'hoo ha' posh), with the tone of 'what the H man!' and some education, a lot of the time.

<snip>

Nale's voice is a lot more melodramatic, imo. Like 'Ha-ha!' in a manly way >=D (ala monty python's holy grail wherein the knights laugh man-like), rather Elan would go 'Aha-ha-ha-ha! You're so funny, I do enjoy funny people!" (ala Mozart, from that movie (forgot the name)). It'd help the audience to identify the two, aside from a little yellow triangle at the lower part of Nale's face. It'd also be kind of funny that the character's often wouldn't be listening to the tone of each's voice (particularly during the episode in which Nale shaved himself).

<snip>

Nail completely sounding like his bro would either confuse the audience or not be funny at all.

<snip>

The differences in vocal patterns in different races always seemed more of a culture thing than a biology thing to me. Some of it is biology, but most stereotypical voice patterns are cultural. Roy doesn't seem like he would have any cultural vocal patterns. And Graham Stark gets Roy's tone of voice across, so you wouldn't notice the vocal pattern difference.

Elan and Nale would need to be voiced by the same voice actor (most identical twins have similar voices) but they would definitely need to be acted as different people and have different vocal tones and mannerisms (because most identical twins don't have identical voices, only similar voices). This is just like you said. Though I sort of pictured (heard?) Nale has only having a melodramatic voice when he monologues, otherwise it is a regular voice. Elan, on the other hand, is often either melodramatic or enthusiastic. But your differences in laughter are probably right. (And for the reference, the movie you're thinking of is Amadeus, and it is an excellent movie.)

Oh wow, that would actually be a good idea. And Strong Mad would be such a good voice for Thog.

I'm definitely seconding that.

I would like to propose Robert Moran (www.urealms.com) (he voices Sir Schmoopy and just about everyone else on URealms) for Belkar. He would probably take Sir Schmoopy's voice and add some anger. This would result in Comedic Gold.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-08-28, 11:09 PM
(come on, tell me we've got some theatre geeks in here...)

Kristen Chenoweth for Celia, Norbert Leo Butz for, hmmm, either Elan or one-or-more of the Azure City crowd, Wilson J. Heredia for V (complete with ambiguous-gender joke for those who've seen RENT), and on that note either Taye Diggs or Jesse L. Martin for Roy. In my head Haley Starshine sounds like Hayley Williams (lead singer of Paramore), I think it's the name and the hair, but hey. Xykon...hmm. For some reason, the idea of the resident lich having a deep, booming voice cracks me up...is James Earl Jones retired yet? :P

snoopy13a
2008-08-29, 07:59 PM
Thog: Patrick Wharburton

He's Putty (or is it Puddy?) from Seinfeld, right?

I really don't know enough about voice actors or stage actors based in Broadway or London to contribute.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-29, 10:35 PM
He's Putty (or is it Puddy?) from Seinfeld, right?

I really don't know enough about voice actors or stage actors based in Broadway or London to contribute.

Yes, I believe so- I know him mostly as Joe from Family Guy. He's also Thonk (I think) from the emperor's new grove (this is what makes me know he's perfect), The Tick from the live action version and the Wolf from Hoodwink'd.

PhallicWarrior
2008-08-30, 03:49 PM
I'd willingly voice just about any of the main characters except the female ones. It makes the comic funnier when I'm reading it for my friends, but I can't do it well enough for a real production.

Still, I think I'd be best for Thog. "THOG SMASH PUNY PRISON!" and "YAY! ICECREAM!" in my booming bass are both frightening and hilarious. (Or so my friends say.)

Mando Knight
2008-09-08, 09:36 AM
Yes, I believe so- I know him mostly as Joe from Family Guy. He's also Thonk (I think) from the emperor's new grove (this is what makes me know he's perfect), The Tick from the live action version and the Wolf from Hoodwink'd.

He's also Buzz Lightyear in the somewhat short-lived Buzz Lightyear of Star Command TV show. And Brock Samson in Venture Bros. And Steve Barkin in Kim Possible. And Cash Tankenson in The Batman. And Agent T in MIB II...

Lissou
2008-09-08, 09:46 AM
I'd willingly voice just about any of the main characters except the female ones. It makes the comic funnier when I'm reading it for my friends, but I can't do it well enough for a real production.

Still, I think I'd be best for Thog. "THOG SMASH PUNY PRISON!" and "YAY! ICECREAM!" in my booming bass are both frightening and hilarious. (Or so my friends say.)

Care to link to samples so we can give it a listen?

paladin_carvin
2008-09-08, 10:46 AM
He's also Buzz Lightyear in the somewhat short-lived Buzz Lightyear of Star Command TV show. And Brock Samson in Venture Bros. And Steve Barkin in Kim Possible. And Cash Tankenson in The Batman. And Agent T in MIB II...

The interesting thing is, I actually knew those. I've gotten pretty good at knowing VAs. Well, cept the The Batman voice, since I've never seen it. I think he was a great Buzz, at least in the concept of being an actual space hero. And he's great as Brock.

Santiago
2008-09-08, 01:45 PM
Tom Kenny as :belkar:

James Wood as :xykon:

Bill Fagerbakke as :thog:

Rino Romano as :elan:

FatJose
2008-09-09, 11:04 PM
Ugh, no Phil LaMarr. as Roy. He's great and all, but he cant pull off the voice I think Roy has. I imagine Roy to have a more tough voice, not stupid tough, but he would sound like a common sense soldier. When LaMarr does voices for tough black people, they're usually are very cartoony or stereotyped. His own voice doesn't fit either in my opinion.

paladin_carvin
2008-09-09, 11:13 PM
Ugh, no Phil LaMarr. as Roy. He's great and all, but he cant pull off the voice I think Roy has. I imagine Roy to have a more tough voice, not stupid tough, but he would sound like a common sense soldier. When LaMarr does voices for tough black people, they're usually are very cartoony or stereotyped. His own voice doesn't fit either in my opinion.

Hmm... Agreed.

I did have another idea the other day. Dule Hill. I don't know if he has done voice acting, which is why I'm hesitant to add him. For those who don't know, he plays Guster on the show 'Psych' (which I am a huge fan of; also, it's shot in Vancouver, so it really isn't Hollywood). There is a certain nature to his voice that hits the 'I'm not sure if I'm ok with this madness around me' 'I am very competent, no matter who I'm with, ok!' and the ability to give quick quips and snide remarks.

FatJose
2008-09-09, 11:44 PM
Hmm... Agreed.

I did have another idea the other day. Dule Hill. I don't know if he has done voice acting, which is why I'm hesitant to add him. For those who don't know, he plays Guster on the show 'Psych' (which I am a huge fan of; also, it's shot in Vancouver, so it really isn't Hollywood). There is a certain nature to his voice that hits the 'I'm not sure if I'm ok with this madness around me' 'I am very competent, no matter who I'm with, ok!' and the ability to give quick quips and snide remarks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsALCYDbUpk&feature=related

Some clips of Psych. MAny of which have Dule Hill speaking

Selene
2008-09-10, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the clips. I'd never heard of him or the show. He could be Roy. He might even make a good live-action Roy. He makes Roy faces. LOL.

Rogue 7
2008-09-10, 03:08 PM
Jesse L. Martin for Roy.

That...might just work.

Grey DeLisle's too good a voice actress to waste on Sabine, much as she could undoubtedly pull it off. If she dropped some of the "crazy" off her Azula voice, I'd say she could easily do Miko.

paladin_carvin
2008-09-10, 03:13 PM
Grey DeLisle's too good a voice actress to waste on Sabine, much as she could undoubtedly pull it off. If she dropped some of the "crazy" off her Azula voice, I'd say she could easily do Miko.

I completely agree with your this.