PDA

View Full Version : On the Origin of Npcs: Oots -3

Lupy
2008-08-12, 10:48 PM
I was thinking about the fact that Rich has stated that he wants to write 7 books and 3 prequels when I thought: Who will that third one be about?

My thoughts:

Miko, Hinjo, and O-Chul will all get their stories, told, and we will get an OtOoPC style begining of the Linear Guild.

Other Possibilities: The Order of the Scribble's adventures, Or Roy's Dad's adventures maybe.

So what do the rest of you find likely as possibilities for the third prequel?

blackspeeker
2008-08-12, 11:06 PM
I'd love to see the order of the scribble more, mostly for the possibility of seeing a completely colored prequel/crayons of time.

Although seeing a book devoted partly to the Linear Guild, The Sapphire Guard, and Eugene's group, only because I don't know if they could each have enough on them for their own book.

krossbow
2008-08-12, 11:13 PM
i'd actually prefer to see Elan and Nale's mother and father touched up on a bit.

Heck, you know that had to be somewhat of a strange relationship.

Teatime
2008-08-12, 11:39 PM
My money's on Order of the Scribble, though the animation style may make that a bit tricky. I have a feeling the Linear Guild will be delved into during the main comic, mostly around Nale and Sabine, as Thog doesn't seem to deep a character, and every other member is consistently expendable. And I think Eugene's past was explored about as much as it's ever gunna be in Start of Darkness.

Faithless
2008-08-13, 12:06 AM
hmm. Order of the scribble seems cool, and that's what i hope it's on but it's probably going to be with the Saphire Guard(Miko etc). Their history seems like it has the biggest gap, and they are way more dominant in the story than the order of the scribble. I think Rich may have already done some vague references to each of their paths in the main comic.

Lissou
2008-08-13, 06:35 AM
I think the Linear Guild one would probably need to deal with Nale's father, which might require the online comic to be a bit further. That's the main reason while I think if it's the third book, it won't be out for a while. Or it' not the third book. (I mean original book)

Zordrath
2008-08-13, 06:37 AM
Linear Guild: Probably not, mainly because half of the original members were just expendable filler material, so learning their backstories would be kinda useless.

Nale and Elan: If Rich had wanted to show their backstory, he would have done so in OtOoPCs. He didn't, so it's probably crucial enough to be unveiled in the main comic at some dramatically appropiate point.

Order of the Scribble: Now that would be great! :smallbiggrin: However, as funny as the crayon style looked, I think it's not something to make a whole book out of it. Paying for a book of crayon-drawn stickmen, I dunno... ^^ Still, I'd be very interested in their history and adventures :)

Eugene's adventures: I wouldn't buy that. Eugene is just too much of an ass, and we already know everything important to the plot about him through SoD, OtOoPCs, and the main comic.

Sapphire Guard: It is a possibility, but it better be about more paladins like Hinjo, O-Chul and Than, not Miko or the guys in SoD... (an O-Chul story would be really great, now that I think about it...)

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-13, 08:25 AM
Linear Guild would be cool, but I have a feeling that they'd get booring after an entire book after them. I like Thog, but if I saw him in 70 pannels strait then he would loose his touch.
As for the Order of the Scribble we don't know very much about them, so it's possible that they could have there own book

But here
Originally posted by The Giant
No more new projects. The thing is, most of what I do, you guys don’t see until its finished. I didn’t announce Start of Darkness until it was completed, so no one knew that I had been working around the clock for five months on it. So while I will be taking on no new merchandise projects for a while, you should be aware that there are 4-5 existing projects that are mostly done (some of which would have been available for GenCon). These will still come out as intended, so you should expect to see some new book and board game announcements in the next few months, after which it will taper back a bit. Of course, even then, regular compilations of the online strip will continue for as long as OOTS itself does.

Diddgery
2008-08-13, 08:49 AM
An entire book about the Oracle.

Yeaaaaaah.

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-13, 10:09 AM
I think it'lls be Order of the Scribble, but it probably wouldn't be all in crayons and color.

Sylian
2008-08-13, 10:13 AM
Linear Guild: Well... No, I don't think they have done enough interesting things before meeting the OoTS that could be included in a book.

Order of the Scribble: If it was drawn as the rest of the OoTS comics, yeah, could be cool. I wouldn't want a book full of crayon, and Rich has written that crayon isn't as easy as the current art.

Eugene's Adventures: No, he isn't important enough to get a book of his own. His story was told in the other two prequels, anyway.

Sapphire Guard: Oh yeah, that one could be nice. O-Chul, Than, Miko, Hinjo, Shojo... Could be great.

hamishspence
2008-08-13, 11:34 AM
its possible that the next prequel is one of these nearly completed projects referred to. If a prequel is not one of these nearly completed projects, we won't seee one for a while.

David Argall
2008-08-13, 12:07 PM
Most of these characters do not have enough involvement in the story to justify a book. However, a short story collection seems quite possible in a couple of years. [As has been noted, Nale and Elan have some history that is being held back for book 5, and so we are unlikely to get a book dealing with them until 2010.]

hamishspence
2008-08-13, 12:19 PM
more likely to be combination. Just as SoD had Redcloak and Xykon, with mentions of others, prequel might possibly have:

Sapphire Guard, Oracle, order of Scribble. I'm guessing here, but it seems more likely than a prequel devoted to only one character.

Linkavitch
2008-08-13, 12:27 PM
I think a prequel about the OotScribble would be GREAT!:biggrin:

Zordrath
2008-08-13, 01:18 PM
more likely to be combination. Just as SoD had Redcloak and Xykon, with mentions of others, prequel might possibly have:

Sapphire Guard, Oracle, order of Scribble. I'm guessing here, but it seems more likely than a prequel devoted to only one character.
SoD had one team, Team Evil. So I don't think a book about completely unrelated characters such as the Order of the Scribble and the Oracle seems unlikely.

OOTSCribble and Sapphire Guard might be a possibility, but I don't think it's that likely, either.

hamishspence
2008-08-13, 03:18 PM
SoD also had Eugene, the oracle, and members of the Scribble and Sapphire Guard as minor characters in Team Evil's story

So, one could reasonably expect, whoever is the star of next prequel (if there is one) there will be minor characters around it.

Scribble could segue into Sapphire Guard: Soon Kim was founding member of both, after all.

Chronos
2008-08-13, 06:18 PM
I think it almost has to be the Order of the Scribble. The books are in order: Book 0 comes before Book 1, chronologically, and Book -1 comes before Book 0. So Book -2 would have to be before Book -1, and the only things significant enough to the story and substantial enough to fill a book which happened that long ago were the adventures of the Scribblers.

Nor would it be done in crayon: The crayon style is meant to indicate that we're being told old stories, passed down via oral tradition, but in the Order of the Scribble's main book, we'd be seeing things "firsthand", as it were, just like the rest of the comics. So it'd be in the same Inkscape format as the main strip.

Zordrath
2008-08-13, 06:21 PM
There's still the possible of Volume -1,5... :smalltongue:

I agree with you, though, the Order of the Scribble would indeed make the most sense, as well as being the most awesome - and also the most plot critical, as each of them plays an important part in the OOTS main story (except for Lirian, but she was crucial to SoD).

AlexanderRM
2008-08-13, 09:32 PM
Huh... I would have expected the Liner Guild to be in SoD. The fact that they weren't indicates that their backstory may not be important enough.
I think something about the Sapphire guard and its' members might be possible: that would leave us with a book about PCs, a book about villains, and a book about good NPCs, so it makes for a nice trio. I would expect order of scribble to be in crayon, for similar reasons to the way On the Origins of PCs was in black and white, so I'm doubting that. A whole book about one character also seems rather unlikely... and that's all I can think of.

Chronos
2008-08-13, 11:32 PM
I would expect order of scribble to be in crayon, for similar reasons to the way On the Origins of PCs was in black and white, so I'm doubting that.The reason OtOoPCs was in black and white is just that black-and-white printing is cheaper than color. So it doesn't really apply.

blackspeeker
2008-08-18, 09:33 AM
going back and reading the war for azure city I've recently got a strong feeling we might get filled in on what happens in the three month gap from the end of the war in484, to when it picks up again in 485

jmucchiello
2008-08-18, 12:09 PM
its possible that the next prequel is one of these nearly completed projects referred to. If a prequel is not one of these nearly completed projects, we won't seee one for a while.If book -2 is TOotScribble then it will not come out any time soon. The main comic still has plenty left to reveal about the various gates before it would be wise to reveal the back story.

As for other possibilities, I think the story of the linear guild will be entirely told in the main comic along with Elan's back story.

What history of the Sapphire Guild is there that needs to be told? They built a city over the gate and then kept to themselves. Not a lot of intrigue there.