PDA

View Full Version : Samurai PrCs: The Four Clans

Ganurath
2008-08-13, 01:48 AM
Alright, someone recently revived the Samurai Satire of the GiaMonk, and it got me thinking. The Samurai would have a lot of potential if the PrCs that allow it to multiclass weren't inhibiting it. The Ronin drives it away from its strong points, the Kensai is trying to cover the Three Lawfuls all at once, and the Knight Protector... should leave buffing to the casters.

My idea is this: Four Clan based PrCs, each of which emphasizes different elements of the Samurai class that have potential that aren't really tapped into. I only have basic concepts for the other three, but here's a little something to provide an example:

Fire Clan Berserker
Of the four clans, none have samurai more vicious and aggressive than those of the Fire Clan. Favoring lighter armor so as to allow for a swift charge, these soldiers strike with relentless speed to bring down the enemies of their lord.
The Fire Clan's lands share more border with the territories of the savage humanoids than the other three clans combined. The constant warfare and centuries of cultural bleeding have caused the warriors of the Fire Clan to emulate the tactics of the enemy, rushing into combat headlong and striking the enemy down before they can defend themselves.
Although the Clans normally only have humans among their bloodlines, the Fire Clan intermingled enough with the savage humanoids that half-orcs in the region can have the blood of a noble in their human half.
Hit Die: d10.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Fire Clan Berserker, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Race: Human or Half-orc
Alignment: Any nonchaotic.
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Initiative, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword)

Class Skills
To simplify things, take out Diplomacy and the Knowledge skills in favor of Climb, Jump, and Swim.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+0|flurry of blows
2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Bonus Feat
3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Swiftness +1
4|+4|+4|+4|+1|Accurate flurry
5|+5|+4|+4|+1|Bonus Feat
6|+6|+5|+5|+2|Swiftness +2
7|+7|+5|+5|+2|Rapid flurry
8|+8|+6|+6|+2|Bonus Feat
9|+9|+6|+6|+3|Swiftness +3
10|+10|+7|+7|+3|Perfect flurry[/table]

Flurry of Blows: A Fire Clan Berserker has the flurry of blows ability. This allows him to make a full attack with an additional attack at his highest attack bonus, but with a -2 penalty to all attacks. This penalty is reduced to -1 at 4th level and disappears at 10th level. The Fire Clan Berserker gets a second extra attack at 7th level. The Fire Clan Berserker only benefits from this feat when wearing medium, light, or no armor, and only when wielding two weapons.
Bonus Feat: At second level and every three levels afterward, a Fire Clan Berserker gets a bonus feat. The Fire Clan Berserker may select any feat for which Two-Weapon Fighting is a prerequisite.
Swiftness: At 3rd level a Fire Clan Berserker gets a +1 dodge bonus to initiative and AC so long as he's wearing light or no armor. This bonus improves by +1 every three levels.
Multiclass note: Fire Clan Berserkers may continue taking levels as Samurai, even if they are no longer lawful in alignment so long as they aren't chaotic.

The basic concepts I have for the other three PrCs are as follows:
Earth: Kiai smite + Staredown
Water: Diplomancer with a full BAB and Quick Draw as a plan B
Air: Mounted combat, potentially with lighter armor again... Mounted Archer?

Looking for comments, criticisms, ideas... As for my motive, in my IRL group's next campaign one of my fellow players, who has just discovered the samurai, will want to play it. I want him to have options to avoid sucking.

Edit: Made some adjustments to the requirements so that picking up a Samurai bonus feat isn't an issue, as well as some flavor elements. Also, made the weapon restriction dual wielding instead of the samurai weapons, so Rangers may want to take a look at this PrC.

Ganurath
2008-08-13, 12:28 PM
Earth Clan Sentinel
The Earth Clan Sentinel follows a simple code of conduct: Bring down all challengers. Endure whatever blows they bring to bear, and overwhelm them with despair through sheer force of will. It is because of this tactic the Earth Clan believes that when all else will end, their Sentinels will hold fast.
Backed by the mountains and the Dwarven Empire, the Earth Clan holds a doctrine of discipline and perserverance. Rather than fielding many warriors, they give an elite few relentless endurance training and have those elite samurai, their sentinels, defend their borders.
Like the other Four Clans, the Earth Clan only have humans of noble blood. However, since they share a border with the Dwarven Empire, some dwarves and gnomes who earned the clan's respect have managed to emulate the Earth Clan's style.
Hit Die: d12

Requirements
To qualify to become an Earth Clan Sentinel, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Race: Human, Dwarf, or Gnome
Alignment: Any Lawful
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Intimidate 9 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Spot 4 ranks

Class Skills: Take out Ride from the Samurai list, replace with Spot and Listen.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+0|+2|Diehard, Sentinel's presence
2|+2|+3|+0|+3|
3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Might +1
4|+4|+4|+4|+1|Mettle
5|+5|+4|+4|+1|
6|+6|+5|+5|+2|Might +2
7|+7|+5|+5|+2|Sentinel's vigor
8|+8|+6|+6|+2|
9|+9|+6|+6|+3|Might +3
10|+10|+7|+7|+3|Overpowering Blow[/table]

Class Features:

Diehard: Earth Clan Sentinels get Diehard as a bonus feat at first level.
Sentinel's Presence: Earth Clan Sentinel levels stack with Samurai levels for determining the number of Kiai smites per day and the progression of the staredown line of abilities.
Might: At 3rd level the Earth Clan Sentinel gets a +1 bonus on Intimidate checks, as well as a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls against demoralized opponents. This bonus imporvess by +1 every three levels.
Mettle: At 4th level, you get a very longwinded way of saying evasion for Fort and Will.
Sentinel's Vigor: An Earth Clan Sentinel of 7th level or higher uses their Con modifier in place of the normal ability score for Will saves, Intimidate checks, and the bonuses granted by using the Kiai smite.
Overpowering Blow: If a 10th level Earth Sentinel drops a foe or scores a critical hit against them while using Kiai smite, he may perform a Mass Staredown as a swift action.
Multiclass note: Samurai can multiclass freely, etc.

Spiryt
2008-08-13, 03:09 PM
Nice, nice. I don't really like idea of putting samurai's to settings, so I would probably use it as normal, "not only samurai" PrC.

Although as it's "Samurai thing " I have few observations :

If Samurai have any interesting qualities, it's certainly TWF + Heavy armor.

So why take it away? By allowing them flurry you can gave them interesting abilites, and make their TWF more original and sensible.

Ganurath
2008-08-13, 09:47 PM
Although as it's "Samurai thing " I have few observations :

If Samurai have any interesting qualities, it's certainly TWF + Heavy armor.

So why take it away? By allowing them flurry you can gave them interesting abilites, and make their TWF more original and sensible.It was mainly an asthetic point, since part of the theme of the FCB is charging in and tearing the enemy up before they can hit back, and heavier armors tend to slow one down. I'll loosen things up to medium, since anyone who can't afford mithril full plate by 9th level is doing something wrong.

Earth Clan Sentinel fully editted in. After some sleep, the Samurai becomes a Diplomancer with the Water Clan Legate.