PDA

View Full Version : 4e Enemy Templates as Paragon Paths

JackMage666
2008-08-13, 12:11 PM
So I was up last night, and I started thinking - What if templates could be added to characters like they can monsters. It would be a little unbalancing, I suppose, but what if there was a fair way to do it? Then it hit me - Paragon Paths or Epic Destinys! It's peeerfect! These would be general paragon paths, able to be taken by any class (some better combos than other) so long as the character meets the special requirements. So, here's a few attempts at me doing so.

Feyborn

Feyborn
"I am the power of the fey. I am nature. Unless you plan to defeat nature, you can never defeat me."
Prerequisites: Must have intense natural connects, such as a chosen champion of a powerful Fey.

Feyborn are the chosen of the Fey. You have unlocked your latent Fey heritage, using your natural blood to give you advantages against other creatures. Your Fey blood makes you a tricky combatant, who foes like to avoid.

Feyborn Path Features
Mistwalker's Action (11th level): You may spend an action point to turn all the movement you take in a round into teleportation, instead of taking another action.
Nature's Protection (11th level): When in a forest or jungle type setting, you receive a +2 racial bonus to your Reflex and Will defense, as well as a +2 racial bonus to any Savings throws you make.
Smite of the Feywild (16th level): In a forest or jungle type setting, the vines, trees, and other foliage strike any enemies that attack you. Whenever an enemy attacks you in melee, he takes damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Feyborn Powers
Lure of the Wild Feyborn Attack 11
You want your enemy to engage you. With a glance, he's unexplainably pulled towards you.
Encounter * Arcane, Charm
Standard Action * Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma + 4 vs. Will, Increases to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: Target is pulled 5 squares and dazed (save ends).

Step Through the Mists Feyborn Utility 12
You dissipate into mist, only to appear a short distance away.
Encounter * Arcane, Teleportation
Move Action * Personal
Effect: You teleport 3 squares and are insubstantial til the end of your next turn.

Undeniable Beauty Feyborn Attack 20
An enemy attacks you, and your force of personality not only harms them, but forces them to target someone else.
Daily * Arcane, Charm
Immediate Interrupt * Ranged 20
Trigger: A creature within range attacks you
Target: The attacking creature
Hit: 3d8 + Charisma modifier damage, and the target cannot attack you (save ends).
Miss: The target cannot attack you til the end of your next turn.

Frost Adept

Frost Adept
"Cold? You think this is cold? My heart is ice, my soul a blizzard. I'll show you a cold that freezes your very blood."
Prerequisites: Must undergo a ritual that seals you in an Arctic environment for a month. You must survive this ritual.

Frost Adepts are devout follows of the elemental cold. Your intense connection to the frozen bodies of the world allow you to carry that power with you everywhere you go, blasting your enemies with ice and absorbing any cold attacks launched at you. To you, a blizzard is tanning weather.

Frost Adept Path Features
Freezing Action (11th level): Whenever you spend an action point to take an additional attack, you add your Charisma modifier to the damage. In addition, all damage dealt is cold damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
Ice's Protection(11th level): A thin layer of ice constantly surrounds you, giving you a +2 racial bonus to your Fortitude Defense. In addition, you receive Resistance 15 Cold and a +2 racial bonus to Savings throws.
Ice Master(16th level): You may convert any attack power you have to cold. When you chooses to do so, change the powers energy keyword to cold, and change all damage done into cold energy damage, even if the attack doesn't normally deal energy damage.

Frost Adept Powers
Frozen Bolt Frost Adept Attack 11
You launch a bolt of frozen energy at an enemy, causing him to freeze in place.
Encounter * Arcane or Divine, Cold, Conjuration
Attack: Dexterity + 4 vs. Fortitude, Increases to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: 3d8 + Dexterity Modifier cold damage, and the target is stunned until the end of your next turn.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Body of Ice Frost Adept Utility 12
The ice around you expands, causing a flash freezing to an enemy that comes near you
Encounter * Arcane or Divine, Cold, Conjuration
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, any enemy that ends his turn adjacent to you is slowed until the end of his next turn. In addition, any enemy that attacks you takes cold damage equal to your Charisma modifier.
Sustain Minor: Body of Ice persists another round.

Frostburn Frost Adept Attack 20
You unleash the devastating power of elemental cold, causing a flash blizzard that hinders all in the area with ice and blinds them with snow.
Daily * Arcane or Divine, Cold, Conjuration
Standard Action * Burst 5
Target: Each enemy in Burst
Attack: Charisma + 4 vs. Fortitude, Increases to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: 5d8 + Charisma modifier cold damage, and the target is slowed and blinded (save ends both).
Miss: Half damage, and you have concealment against the target.

Lich

Lich
"I am a master of undeath. I live eternal. Now get out of my study."
Prerequisites: You must cast the Lich Transformation ritual.

Lichs are horrific undead creatures, usually spellcasters, that have sacrificed mortality for everlasting life. While not always even, it's definite that they are using unnatural means to extend their life, which make them generally hated. As a Lich, you know how to summon necrotic energies to help you survive against what can kill you - Hostile clerics and paladin that view you as a horrid abomination.

Lich Path Features
Undeath's Action (11th level): Whenever you spend an action point, you gain Regeneration 5 until you are hit with radiant damage, the end of the encounter, or 5 minutes, whichever is shorter.
Shell of Death (11th level): You receive a +2 racial bonus to you Fortitude and Will defenses, gain a +2 racial bonus to Savings Throws, and gain Resistance Necrotic 15. In addition you are immune to poison and disease. Your vision also changes to Darkvision.
Necromantic Master (16th level): An aura of Necromantic Energy surrounds you. Any enemy that begins it's turn within 5 squares of you takes 5 necrotic damage. In addition, you may convert any attack power you have to necrotic. When you chooses to do so, change the powers energy keyword to necrotic, and change all damage done into necrotic energy damage, even if the attack doesn't normally deal energy damage.

Lich Powers
Paralyzing Touch Lich Attack 11
Your touch chills the bones of your enemies.
Encounter * Arcane or Divine, Fear, Necrotic
Standard Action * Close 1
Attack: Intelligence + 4 vs. Fortitude, Increases to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: Target is stunned (save ends)
Special: If the target has resistance to necrotic energy, he may add that to his Fortitude defense against this attack. In addition, the target is dazed on a successful hit, not stunned.

Spellmaster Lich Utility 12
You are a master of energies, and use that knowledge to recall a power.
Daily * Arcane or Divine, Necrotic
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: You regain an encounter power with the Arcane or Divine keyword.

Undeath's Cruel Bolt Lich Attack 20
You throw a bolt of pure necrotic energy at the target, ripping it's soul from it's body.
Daily * Arcane or Divine, Conjuration, Necrotic
Target: One Creature
Attack: Intelligence + 4 vs. Will, Increases to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: 5d10 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage, and the target is weakened (save ends)
Miss: Half damage.

Scion of Flame

Scion of Flame
"The flame is pure, unquestioning. The flame will not judge, or care what you think. It will burn, and you will hurt."
Prerequisites: Must undergo a ritual that involves you living within 100 yards of a live volcano for a month.

Scions of Flame are worshipers of fire. You treat it in a divine nature, almost as a deity in it's own right. You use the scalding heat to burn your foes, forcing them to buckle under the power of your flame.

Scion of Flame Path Features
Flamebearer's Action (11th level): Your action points are fueled by the quick nature of flame. Whenever you spend an action point to gain an action, you gain an additional move action as well.
Flames's Protection(11th level): Your hair and eyes seem to constantly burn with unseen flame, granting you a +2 racial bonus to your Fortitude and Reflex defenses. In addition, you receive Resistance 15 Fire and a +2 racial bonus to Savings throws.
Fire Master(16th level): You may convert any attack power you have to fire. When you chooses to do so, change the powers energy keyword to fire, and change all damage done into fire energy damage, even if the attack doesn't normally deal energy damage.

Scion of Flame Powers
Ball of Flame Scion of Flame Attack 11
A blast of fire sears all foes in the explosion
Encounter * Arcane or Divine, Conjuration, Fire
Standard Action * Burst 5 within 20 squares
Target: Each creature in a burst
Attack: Charisma + 4 vs. Reflex, Increases to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: 5d8 + Charisma Modifier fire damage.
Miss: Half damage

Body of Fire Scion of Flame Utility 12
You seem to ignite, causing pain to anyone daring to attack you.
Encounter * Arcane or Divine, Conjuration, Fire
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, any enemy that ends his turn adjacent to you take 10+Charisma Modifier fire damage.
Sustain Minor: Body of Fire persists another round.

Overheat Scion of Flame Attack 20
One creature begins panting, sweating, and falls unconcious. Perhaps he couldn't take the heat.
Daily * Arcane or Divine, Conjuration, Fire
Attack: Charisma + 4 vs. Fortitude, Increases to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: 5d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage, and the target is knocked unconscious and takes ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends both). If the target takes any damage other than the ongoing damage, he is no longer unconscious.
Miss: Half damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)

Vampire Lord

Vampire Lord
"I have seen empires rise and fall, civilizations crushed and flourish, and gone through thousands of bodies for blood. What chance do you think you have?"
Prerequisites: You must undergo the Dark Gift of the Undying ritual.

Vampire Lords are powerful undead creatures that live off the blood of others. You love the taste of your enemies blood, and use it to energize your own powers. While you do not share the crippling death that sunlight gives Vampire Spawn, you greatly dislike it and would rather avoid it if possible.

Vampire Lord Path Features
Bloodsucker's Action (11th level): Whenever you spend an action point, you regain your Blood Drain encounter power, if you've expended it.
Death's Embrace (11th level): You receive a +2 racial bonus to you Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses, gain a +2 racial bonus to Savings Throws, and gain Resistance Necrotic 15. In addition you are immune to poison and disease. However, you also gain Vulnerability 10 Radiant. Your vision changes to Darkvision.
Vampire's Regeneration (16th level): You gain Regeneration 5, which only functions when not exposed to natural sunlight. In addition, if you take any radiant damage, your Regeneration does not function until the end of your next turn.

Vampire Lord Powers
Blood Drain Vampire Lord Attack 11
You sink your fangs into your enemy, drawing out his lifeblood.
Encounter * Healing, Martial
Standard Action * Close 1
Requirement: You must have combat advantage against the target.
Attack: Dexterity + 4 vs. Fortitude, Increases to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: 2d12 + Charisma modifier damage, and the target is weakened (save ends). You regain hit points as if you spent a healing surge.

Mist Form Vampire Lord Utility 12
You dissipate into a fine mist, and flee from danger to the safety of your coffin
Encounter * Arcane, Polymorph
Standard Action * Personal
Effect: You become insubstantial and gain a fly speed of 12. However, you cannot make attacks while in Mist form. The effect lasts one hours, or you can choose to end it as a minor action.

Dominating Gaze Vampire Lord Attack 20
With a glance, the target is your puppet.
Daily * Arcane, Charm
Standard Action * Ranged 5
Hit: Target is dominated (save ends, with a -2 penalty). After the target saves against this effect, the target is dazed (save ends).
Miss: Target is dazed (save ends).

Those are all I got so far. What'd you guys think?

Shishnarfne
2008-08-13, 01:30 PM
This is the sort of thing that I would have liked to have had included in the Core Rulebooks!

It seems like a fairly nice way to incorporate more player options. I'd need to look into how balanced these are compared to the actual paths available to players, but this looks like something that I might consider if a player wanted to run a character down one of these roads.:smallcool:

Ceiling009
2008-08-14, 02:55 AM
I think some of your attacks, since they're basically almost like racial powers, should be +4 versus +2, with the possibility of going +6 when you reach level 21 (possibly a feat or something). Remember, since they're kinda like racial powers you can't add weapon bonuses and more importantly, implement bonuses. It's cool though. I really like these.

The Demented One
2008-08-14, 08:09 AM
The latter two vampire powers definitely should not be martial. I think arcane would work best for them.

JackMage666
2008-08-14, 02:24 PM
I think some of your attacks, since they're basically almost like racial powers, should be +4 versus +2, with the possibility of going +6 when you reach level 21 (possibly a feat or something). Remember, since they're kinda like racial powers you can't add weapon bonuses and more importantly, implement bonuses. It's cool though. I really like these.

Yes, that's why I have the +2 in there, though it makes sense to give them a +4 as yes, it is basically racial powers. Thanks!

The latter two vampire powers definitely should not be martial. I think arcane would work best for them.

Noted. I was just kinda sad that almost everything was Arcane or Divine, and very few martial. Oh well, it happens, though, right?

Also, any requests? I can come up with all sorts of racial type templates (they must be somehow acquired or bestowed, though), so any requests are welcome!

Sequinox
2008-08-14, 02:32 PM
sweet. I plan on using these.