PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea? Warlock taking Soldier of the Faith?

Frosty
2008-08-13, 06:21 PM
My first time playing 4e. I'm planning on being a Human Warlock with Fey Pact. So I'll definitely have Eyebite. I was wondering if it would be a good use of a feat to take Soldier of the Faith (it'd be nice to have Diplomacy as a class skill) in order to get Divine Challenge as an encounter power.

I'm thinking that my extra at-will power will be Dire Radiance. If I Divine Challenge someone, and he has to attack me or take damage. A lot of people have to move closer to me to attack me. Dire Radiance says if someone moves closer to you, they take damage. I can also just keep on spamming Eyebite. I Divine Challenge a monster. Then I will constantly be Invisible to the monster. The monster can't hit me, and will get hurt if he decides to attack someone else. What do you guys think?

Also, I haven't decided on a second feat yet. Either Improved Misty Step or Light Shield Proficiency perhaps? I haven't looked at all feats yet.

Saph
2008-08-13, 06:42 PM
It could work. I generally think that Warrior of the Wild is the best multiclass feat for pretty much all classes, though, as it gives you the all-important Perception skill and a freebie of a few extra d6s of damage.

- Saph

Frosty
2008-08-13, 07:43 PM
So I'll take both Soldier of the Faith and Warrior of the Wild. It's a Warlock who's *really* in touch with nature and religion I guess.

Ashdate
2008-08-13, 07:51 PM
Sadly, one can only take one multi-class feat (pg 208 paragraph 2). So it's either one or the other.

- Eddie

Covered In Bees
2008-08-13, 07:52 PM
So I'll take both Soldier of the Faith and Warrior of the Wild. It's a Warlock who's *really* in touch with nature and religion I guess.

Can't do that. The feats have a Highlander thing going on.

AstralFire
2008-08-13, 07:58 PM
Can't do that. The feats have a Highlander thing going on.

*laughs*

Star Warlocks and Paladins have pretty good synergy, I hear (and it seems on first glance). I usually hear them referred to as the best Gish ATM.

Frosty
2008-08-13, 08:34 PM
I'll take Soldier of the Faith and Action Surge instead. My character beckons her opponent into attacking her by showing a bit of skin :smallbiggrin:

"Come on, big boy...afraid of attacking a barely-armored girl?"

Then goes invisible. Good times.

Covered In Bees
2008-08-13, 08:41 PM
I'll take Soldier of the Faith and Action Surge instead. My character beckons her opponent into attacking her by showing a bit of skin :smallbiggrin:

http://nymeria87.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/facepalm1.jpg

AstralFire
2008-08-13, 10:43 PM

"Come on, big boy...afraid of attacking a barely-armored girl?"

Then goes invisible. Good times.

http://theanteheroes.com/Humor/MassFacepalm.jpg

I'd have used 'sweatdrop' but I don't have a 'MassSweatdrop' image. >.>

(Don't take this the wrong way or anything. I still like you. Just facefaulted there.)

Tengu_temp
2008-08-13, 10:52 PM
http://theanteheroes.com/Humor/MassFacepalm.jpg

Woah, at least 5 Kyons there. But no double-facepalming Picard, for some reason.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-13, 10:53 PM
Note that Divine Challenge may only last until the end of your next turn. No errata on that yet, but they did the same thing with Hunter's Quarry for MC Ranger... and considering the sheer volume of errata that already exists for 4e, it may only be a matter of time.

monty
2008-08-13, 10:57 PM
Woah, at least 5 Kyons there. But no double-facepalming Picard, for some reason.

I see two. One near the top-left corner, and one slightly below center on the far right.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-13, 11:00 PM
I see two. One near the top-left corner, and one slightly below center on the far right.

There's one on the left side, two below Mrs. Crabapple, two in the lower right corner and one a bit to the left and up from them.

Also, the character idea is, to channel Rutee, silleh.

AstralFire
2008-08-13, 11:03 PM
There's one on the left side, two below Mrs. Crabapple, two in the lower right corner and one a bit to the left and up from them.

Where IS Rutee, anyway?

Also, who the hell is Kyon?

monty
2008-08-13, 11:03 PM

Ah, I guess I was unclear. I was referring to the existence of double Picard.

Frosty
2008-08-13, 11:09 PM
Note that Divine Challenge may only last until the end of your next turn. No errata on that yet, but they did the same thing with Hunter's Quarry for MC Ranger... and considering the sheer volume of errata that already exists for 4e, it may only be a matter of time.

As far as I can tell, Divine Challenge will last as long as I attack or stay next to the marked target.

AstralFire: Rutee was banned like a month or two ago. :smallmad:

Tengu_temp
2008-08-13, 11:12 PM
Ah, I guess I was unclear. I was referring to the existence of double Picard.

Ah yes. There are indeed two Picards there. Both are making a single facepalm, though.

Also, who the hell is Kyon?

The narrator and (arguably) main character from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. If you like anime, you should watch this show. Really.

AstralFire
2008-08-13, 11:13 PM
The narrator and (arguably) main character from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. If you like anime, you should watch this show. Really.

I... really don't. I like a rare few pieces, but for the most part I'm very picky about what I'll watch.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-14, 02:44 AM
I... really don't. I like a rare few pieces, but for the most part I'm very picky about what I'll watch.

In that case just bask in the glory of the presence of two Picards.
(I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, but it's clear which captain do I prefer.)

namo
2008-08-14, 06:26 AM
The problem with Soldier of the Faith is that it requires Str 13, and except for very specific builds a Warlock has no use for Str : you're better off maxing Cha and Int (secondary effects) and/or Dex (if you want to use Stealth).

Totally Guy
2008-08-14, 06:58 AM

I'll have to check for my game. We have a multiclass paladin and I already said that Divine Challenge was for a single turn only but I must have just carried the rule for Quarry across.

Helgraf
2008-08-14, 09:02 AM
My first time playing 4e. I'm planning on being a Human Warlock with Fey Pact. So I'll definitely have Eyebite. I was wondering if it would be a good use of a feat to take Soldier of the Faith (it'd be nice to have Diplomacy as a class skill) in order to get Divine Challenge as an encounter power.

I'm thinking that my extra at-will power will be Dire Radiance. If I Divine Challenge someone, and he has to attack me or take damage. A lot of people have to move closer to me to attack me. Dire Radiance says if someone moves closer to you, they take damage. I can also just keep on spamming Eyebite. I Divine Challenge a monster. Then I will constantly be Invisible to the monster. The monster can't hit me, and will get hurt if he decides to attack someone else. What do you guys think?

Also, I haven't decided on a second feat yet. Either Improved Misty Step or Light Shield Proficiency perhaps? I haven't looked at all feats yet.

Remember after you challenge if you don't then _in the same turn_ engage the monster, the effect wears off immediately - and since it's an encounter power for you, you don't get it back until the next encounter.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 09:04 AM

Picard FTW.

Frosty
2008-08-14, 10:53 AM
The problem with Soldier of the Faith is that it requires Str 13, and except for very specific builds a Warlock has no use for Str : you're better off maxing Cha and Int (secondary effects) and/or Dex (if you want to use Stealth).

That is correct. My stats are 13 STR 16 CON 8 DEX 16 INT 10 WIS 20 CHA

Remember after you challenge if you don't then _in the same turn_ engage the monster, the effect wears off immediately - and since it's an encounter power for you, you don't get it back until the next encounter.

Issuing a Challenge is a Minor action right? I can still attack it with a ranged attack in the same turn. Even if I miss I'm still engaging. Hell, I can Challenge it, use a Move action to Warlock Curse it, and then still Eyebite it or something.

monty
2008-08-14, 11:38 AM

I think this song (http://tborgax.homepage.dk/darkmateria_the_picard_song.mp3) summarizes my position.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 11:58 AM
I think this song (http://tborgax.homepage.dk/darkmateria_the_picard_song.mp3) summarizes my position.

YOU JERK

It's stuck in my head now, I finally got it out of there a year ago!

(Picard awesome btw.)

Frosty
2008-08-14, 01:38 PM
Picard > Sisko + Janeway

kamikasei
2008-08-14, 01:45 PM
Picard > Sisko + Janeway

No fair, Janeway's a net negative!

Picard still wins, but give Sisko his awesome due.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 02:38 PM
No fair, Janeway's a net negative!

Picard still wins, but give Sisko his awesome due.

Picard > Sisko >> Kirk > Janeway

Frosty
2008-08-14, 03:27 PM
Ok, back on topic before it's locked. This game I'm applying to seems pretty cool. It's set in the Warcraft universe right after the events of Warcraft 3. So it's like I'm playing WoW using 4e rules.

Oh dear gods...the comparisons...they'll come yet again! What have I done? :smalleek:

Keld Denar
2008-08-15, 01:53 AM
Ok, back on topic before it's locked. This game I'm applying to seems pretty cool. It's set in the Warcraft universe right after the events of Warcraft 3. So it's like I'm playing WoW using 4e rules.

Oh dear gods...the comparisons...they'll come yet again! What have I done? :smalleek:

Dude, just because there are all kinds of nearly intangible parallels between 4e and WoW, doesn't mean you have to go and rub it in all of our faces!

[/jest]

Frosty
2008-08-15, 02:42 PM
Dude, just because there are all kinds of nearly intangible parallels between 4e and WoW, doesn't mean you have to go and rub it in all of our faces!

[/jest]

Nearly intangible?

Joran
2008-08-15, 05:04 PM
It could work. I generally think that Warrior of the Wild is the best multiclass feat for pretty much all classes, though, as it gives you the all-important Perception skill and a freebie of a few extra d6s of damage.

- Saph

For fey warlocks, Cleric multi-class is also a good choice, purely for the Divine Oracle paragon path. Guaranteed crits every encounter, your entire party unable to be surprised and double rolls on every against Will attack. Heck yes!

Frosty
2008-08-15, 05:55 PM
For fey warlocks, Cleric multi-class is also a good choice, purely for the Divine Oracle paragon path. Guaranteed crits every encounter, your entire party unable to be surprised and double rolls on every against Will attack. Heck yes!

I still don't quite understand how multiclassing works. But what good paladin multiclasses would there be?