PDA

View Full Version : Does anyon else feel concerned for Varsuvius's health?

paladinofshojo
2008-08-13, 06:39 PM
(S)He recently turned into an albino in the last comic.......

keeperoflore
2008-08-13, 06:43 PM
non-red eyes =/= albino

however dry and cracked skin is a sign of very bad health...

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-13, 06:44 PM
I am very concerned. (S)He resembles a zombie.

krossbow
2008-08-13, 07:11 PM
i thought those were veins instead of cracks

Stormageddon
2008-08-13, 07:21 PM
yeah she's/he's not looking to well. I haven't seen V in the comics lately and forgot what happened to v?

The Tygre
2008-08-13, 07:22 PM
I know what you mean. I'm a little scared myself...

David Argall
2008-08-13, 07:25 PM
Expect her to look worst next time if the party does not unite soon. A traditional ending for such a running gag is that Haley walks in on V's lastest attempt to contact her, and he then rejoices in her success or gets very frustrated when told he wasted all that time.

ThreeEyedOni
2008-08-13, 07:28 PM
I seriously think that V is heading toward some form of Lichdom. V's pretty much obsessed with gaining untimate power, and it's pretty obvious that he's stopped caring about the 'short term' plan as opposed to the 'long term' one. Exactly how much he's tossing day-to-day concerns away is the thing; there's a difference between daying "*#$@ the sun" and saying "^*$# this heartbeat".

To put it another way... I'm pretty sure that (weight loss asside) V is looking much worse than B.

Warren Dew
2008-08-13, 10:52 PM
While the looks continue to degrade, it seems to me Vaarsuvius is actually feeling more cogent in this strip than recently.

Spiky
2008-08-13, 11:31 PM
Expect her to look worst next time if the party does not unite soon. A traditional ending for such a running gag is that Haley walks in on V's lastest attempt to contact her, and he then rejoices in her success or gets very frustrated when told he wasted all that time.

David,
I love how you always have an even number of V-cedent pronouns. :vaarsuvius:

EmeraldFire
2008-08-13, 11:39 PM
I can't help but feel that this deep obsession to find Haley will lead V down a road that might lead to her/him using (as Hinjo would say) "unnatural wizardry" in order to find the missing members. If that were to happen, V might find him/herself fulfilling the prophecy that was given to him/her by the Oracle.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-14, 12:06 AM
Given what the "unnatural wizardy" was... eww :smallyuk:

Although it fits right in with ThreeEyedOni's prediction :smallamused:

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-08-14, 12:25 AM
Well, obviously, V's condition will cause a lot of problems for the OOTS when they finally reunite. V won't rest until he/she contacts Haley. I think he/she's in worse shape than Belkar. I'm afraid there will be some permanent changes for V. :smallfrown:

Anyway, I hope this cleric friend of Pete's can at least contact Elan and the others if he/she can't raise Roy.

Roy needs to come back soon if the party's ever gonna get to Girrard's Gate.

Firebert
2008-08-14, 12:38 AM
V's definitely not doing well. One look at Panel 2 shows V's rapidly decreasing health. Roy needs to come back very soon, or V could get even worse.

Nevitan
2008-08-14, 12:41 AM
Given what the "unnatural wizardy" was... eww :smallyuk:

Although it fits right in with ThreeEyedOni's prediction :smallamused:

well maybe if (s)he goes the path of Tsukiko maybe we'll get some info on the Gender thing from the undead V interests hirself in...

David Argall
2008-08-14, 02:11 AM
Of course, we should note that V currently has a health problem that doesn't look curable by taking a nap.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-14, 02:15 AM
Mind Screw: V becomes a lich who travels back in time to become...

:xykon: !

Sorry, I'm just posting at 2:00 AM...

zippthorne
2008-08-14, 02:24 AM
C'mon, it's pretty obvious foreshadowing.
V is clearly going explode in an arcane eruption destroying the city of Parmpei, an island city-state near or around Girard's gate.

only1doug
2008-08-14, 04:34 AM
I was thinking along similar lines.

V's health is obviously declining, my first inclination is to say its lack of rest but my rules lawyer instinct tells me that V wouldn't be able to cast spells if he didn't get his mandatory rest...

overall i'll go with my instinct and say lack of rest, Rich won't let the DnD rules block funny or plot.

Estovus
2008-08-14, 04:58 AM
non-red eyes =/= albino

Do you have even the faintest clue what you're talking about? Human albinoes very rarely have red eyes. Usually they're either tinted with blue or, more rarely, violet. Fine, fine, she's an elf, whatever.

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks she might be dabbling in spells she really, really shouldn't be dabbling in? I think anyone who's played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic can agree that veiny, pale face = dark-sided badness.

C'mon, it's pretty obvious foreshadowing.
V is clearly going explode in an arcane eruption destroying the city of Parmpei, an island city-state near or around Girard's gate.

Too soon, man. Too soon. :P

Totally Guy
2008-08-14, 05:11 AM
V's natural eye colour is pink I thought.

At least if the recap bonus strip in Paladin Blues is considered canon.

Kaytara
2008-08-14, 08:47 AM
Personally I don't think it's a sickness of any kind, just... months' worth of trance deprivation. A human would probably die or go comatose if prevented from sleeping for that long. It's no wonder V's condition looks extreme.

I kind of wonder why V doesn't consider resting important enough to sacrifice a few hours for it every day, but if you think about it, completely forgoing rest allows him to spend 50% more time on searching for Haley than he'd be able to if he rested.

Which, of course, leaves the ever-nagging question of how V has been able to prepare spells. Maybe there's some way to dodge the resting restriction and prepare your spells by sheer mental strength alone. V's condition could be the physical repercussions of such a technique.

It's also interesting to note that V does not, in fact, seem ill. Whatever his condition is, it doesn't seem to be objectively penalising his stats or his abilities, and his mind is as sharp as ever. Granted, V has been growing increasingly cranky, cold and has been showing occasional lapses of judgement, but that could be because of the sheer frustration of failing to find a solution as likely as the lack of trancing.

The calculating coldness thing I would definitely attribute to frustration. V has spent the last several months going over and over a particular problem 24/7, it's not unrealistic that he isn't able to quickly switch back to being normal on the rare occasions when he's not researching. He's been concentrating on using his analytical mind as a tool to find a solution, it's safe to say whatever parts of his brain are responsible for actual feelings, courtesy and compassion are somewhat rusted.

In short, you could erase the veins and smooth out the hair for the entire arc and nothing would seem amiss.

Which just leads me to think that it's obviously going somewhere and whatever consequences long-term trance deprivation really has for an elf will come up soon, and at the worst possible moment.

(On the other hand, how long would be considered 'longterm' for an elf? It's obvious an elf doesn't need regular rest as badly as a human, or V would have collapsed a long time ago...)

Belkster11
2008-08-14, 09:49 AM
Well, considering V's been at it for more than three months, I would wager...eh...about five months of no trances is a bad thing. I'm not a doctor, but I think a human could only go a couple of days without rest before your body shuts down in an effort to save itself.

But the V dabbling in Dark Arts is an interesting twist. It fits nicely with him wanting to be super powerful and everything.

Lissou
2008-08-14, 10:14 AM
Which, of course, leaves the ever-nagging question of how V has been able to prepare spells. Maybe there's some way to dodge the resting restriction and prepare your spells by sheer mental strength alone.

Wasn't there a way to leave slots empty and use two of them at the last minute, or with a 10 minute preparation or something?

Pandaren
2008-08-14, 10:23 AM
Just for refrence, humans can live ten days with no rest before just dying. I forget where I read it. But yes. Considering elves need only four hours of trance a day and consdiering their long life spans, who knows how logn they can last.

AtomicKitKat
2008-08-14, 10:44 AM
Just for refrence, humans can live ten days with no rest before just dying. I forget where I read it. But yes. Considering elves need only four hours of trance a day and consdiering their long life spans, who knows how logn they can last.

Not 100% true. There have been claims from people who were completely unable to sleep. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep) Scroll down to "Longest Period without sleep".

The last time I saw so many veins on such a pale face, Willow Rosenberg was about to tear the world apart.

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 10:53 AM
I don't know how it could have happened but...
V's starting to look a little like Xykon did in SoD after contracting the disease. Poor V. :smalleek: (if that's what it is.)

hamishspence
2008-08-14, 10:59 AM
Maybe Xykon had a minor cosmetic anti-aging spell that was ended by the virus. Or maybe it was indeed the disease that caused hair to fall out and skin rash (were there any other spellcasters around?)

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 11:06 AM
Well, there was Redcloak, maybe some others, I can't remember. I think Xykon was the only one there when he contracted it though.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-14, 11:07 AM
Well, my guess is that V's CON score would be decreasing as (s)he has had so little sleep.... I Personally like the prediction V will look into being a lich. One problem being elves, even wizards, really dislike Liches. I can't remember what book their in, but maybe V want's to be a Baelnorn?

SoD spoiler
Well, I do belive that it said that Liriain's Virus caused the skin rash/hair falling out. Also, for reference, their were other spellcasters, goblin clerics, shown having divine spells failing, but Redcloak was immune do to his nicknamesake cloak. Lastly, does anyone else think it's odd that Lirian made a virus stronger then a diety?

hamishspence
2008-08-14, 11:09 AM
Monsters of Faerun has Banelich (evil), Baelnorn and Archlich (good) options. Libris Mortis has Good lich and Lichfiend (evil)

drachefly
2008-08-14, 11:20 AM
Why would V become a lich? Isn't lichdom usually taken as a route around mortality, not a straight-up power increase? This is not pressing for an elf.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-14, 11:25 AM
@^ Yes, normally, but for those with other plots underway, it can be a good increase, with a bonus to intellegance, Charisma, and Wisdom. Also, you gain Damage reduction, Immortality, immunity to Cold, Electricity, polymorph and Mind affecting attacks, as well as some +8 Skill bonuses and special attacks, so it provides a nice boost to power.

GSFB
2008-08-14, 11:44 AM
yes, but lichdom requires necromancy, which is one of V's barred schools.

no way V is becoming a lich without outside help.

also, lichdom requires many months of specific preparations including the creation of a phylactery. V has been very busy, but working on new divinations.

so no.

Moose Fisher
2008-08-14, 01:04 PM
Instead of a lich, V could rise as a ghost if she dies from exhaustion.

Ghosts don't disappear unless they're satisfied or killed in the Ethereal. Since the idea of creating a spell to contact Haley has been consuming her, she may stick around until she succeeds.

hamishspence
2008-08-14, 01:16 PM
V did point out once that V's ghost would be angry and vengeful, and retain all V's spellcasting powers.

Linkavitch
2008-08-14, 01:34 PM
I seriously think that V is heading toward some form of Lichdom. V's pretty much obsessed with gaining untimate power, and it's pretty obvious that he's stopped caring about the 'short term' plan as opposed to the 'long term' one. Exactly how much he's tossing day-to-day concerns away is the thing; there's a difference between daying "*#$@ the sun" and saying "^*$# this heartbeat".

To put it another way... I'm pretty sure that (weight loss asside) V is looking much worse than B.

All he needs to do to gain ultimate cosmic power is grab a doily!

Callista
2008-08-14, 01:42 PM
If V researched a spell that allows him/her to forego trance, it may have stat damage as part of the penalty. Something relatively low--maybe 1d2 WIS, 1d2 CON. That means that s/he gains back a point every day, so only if s/he rolls high for stat damage is there a problem. Essentially, losing 1 point every 2 days... Durkon seems like the type to cast Restorations on V every once in a while, though.

V doesn't seem the type to go for actual lichdom. S/he may be power-obsessed, but we've yet to see any indication that s/he'd be capable of the sort of extreme evil necessary for lichdom. (Even assuming you could do it without necromancy.) Not to mention: Elf. Probably not worried about mortality very much at this point. V strikes me as the sort of person who would want to be powerful rather than immortal, and that means researching ever-more-powerful spells in an attempt to reach Epic. LA +4 isn't going to help with that.

vegetalss4
2008-08-14, 01:47 PM
yes, but lichdom requires necromancy, which is one of V's barred schools.

lichdom doesn't actuly require necromancy.
But i still dont think V will become a lich

hamishspence
2008-08-14, 01:51 PM
Not unless you're using Dragon mag, which listed spells (arcane version and divine version). If you're going straight core, just needs money, time, Craft Wondrous item. None-core liches require DM's discretion (I.e. unless DM agrees, you can't become an archlich, Good Lich, or baelnorn.)

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-14, 01:52 PM
Baelnornism needs no necromancy either. Also, I doubt the Baelnorn idea will happen purely due to it's being in monsters of Faerun....
Ah well, I still liked it while it lasted -_-

hamishspence
2008-08-14, 01:54 PM
Not sure if MoF monsters are copyrighted or not. Though I think some used to be in 2nd ed main monster book.

Good lich from Libris Mortis would work as well, or maybe V is going to the dark side. or maybe, we are on the wrong track with lich and V's appearance will lead to something entirely different.

Max_Sinister
2008-08-14, 02:38 PM
If V only knew that a normal contact would be possible now. But s/he guesses of course that they're still caught in Azure City, and access is extremely difficult. He must be very pissed off once he learns the truth.

But yes, V looks extremely ****ty now. I don't know how long this can go on.

Sequinox
2008-08-14, 03:25 PM
V's my favorite character, though this obsession may end up changing my mind... Anyway, I hope that (s)he comes out of it fine.

Kaytara
2008-08-14, 09:47 PM
If V only knew that a normal contact would be possible now. But s/he guesses of course that they're still caught in Azure City, and access is extremely difficult. He must be very pissed off once he learns the truth.

But yes, V looks extremely ****ty now. I don't know how long this can go on.

Normal contact may still be impossible. We don't know exactly how strong the anti-scrying enchantment in that basement Haley & Co. are in is. And even if it isn't strong enough, Haley seems to believe that the Cloister spell hasn't worn off yet, suggesting that not enough time has passed.

B.I.T.T.
2008-08-15, 10:35 AM
My take on Vaarsuvius' lack of sleep trance thing is that it has to do with Vaarsuvius' arrogance. Vaarsuvius brags all the time about how Vaarsuvius is able to bend the forces of nature to his(or her) will.

Now Vaarsuvius is faced with a task that he (or she) can't accomplish, which is something he(or she) cannot accept and so Vaarsuvius can't rest until it's been done. Not only that but the fates of two people he/she cares about (and Belkar) hang in the balance.

It's a lot like how I'll stay up really late playing a Neverwinter Nights or something because there's this section that I just can't get past, only in V's case like I said, the fates of Haley & Roy (and the halfling) hang in the balance.

Mina Kobold
2008-08-15, 10:56 AM
SoD spoiler
Well, I do belive that it said that Liriain's Virus caused the skin rash/hair falling out. Also, for reference, their were other spellcasters, goblin clerics, shown having divine spells failing, but Redcloak was immune do to his nicknamesake cloak. Lastly, does anyone else think it's odd that Lirian made a virus stronger then a diety? its not stronger then a deity it just stop the casters ability to use magic no matter where you get the power (like cuting a phone wire) :amused:

ThreeEyedOni
2008-08-15, 11:28 AM
non-red eyes =/= albino

Nitpick: human albinos do not have red eyes.

hamishspence
2008-08-15, 12:47 PM
albinism covers a very wide range of conditions from small lack of pigment to large. Not all albinos have odd coloured eyes at all.

Mortith
2008-08-15, 09:16 PM
She/he is looking worse. I think :vaarsuvius: will go into "unatural magics" aka stuff like selling your soul, animating zombies etc.
OR
Possibly work her/himself into a coma or other incapacitating state.

Nevitan
2008-08-15, 10:01 PM
Which, of course, leaves the ever-nagging question of how V has been able to prepare spells. Maybe there's some way to dodge the resting restriction and prepare your spells by sheer mental strength alone. V's condition could be the physical repercussions of such a technique.

You don't have to sleep for you spell slots to replenish, you only have to wait for 8 hours until you can re-prepare then its just rather convenient that most people tend to sleep between 0 and 8 hours a night.

Phae Nymna
2008-08-15, 10:19 PM
I'm getting really worried for V lately. I love him to death as a character and REALLY don't want anything bad to happen.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-15, 11:48 PM
V is going to become a LICH.

Synthetic
2008-08-15, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMan

Not 100% true. There have been claims from people who were completely unable to sleep. Scroll down to "Longest Period without sleep".

I can settle this one. It takes a human not ten days, but rather 9 months of going completely without sleep before they die. As for those people who claim to have gone without sleep for years, they've been experiencing what's known as "microsleep", which is very short periods of sleep that aren't remembered, and are common to insomnia.

If you really want to know more about dying from lack of sleep. Fatal Familial Insomnia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia)

thereaper
2008-08-15, 11:54 PM
You don't have to sleep for you spell slots to replenish, you only have to wait for 8 hours until you can re-prepare then its just rather convenient that most people tend to sleep between 0 and 8 hours a night.

Ah, but you do need rest. And that's the thing, V won't rest until (s)he's found a way to solve this problem. Though there may be mitigating house rules to consider. Heck, Rich could even just say later on that it was an example of 4th edition rules sneaking in like he hinted at (though it clearly couldn't be; since he supposedly hadn't even seen the 4th ed rulebooks at the time he started this little subplot).

Nevitan
2008-08-15, 11:54 PM
I've never EVER heard of lack of sleep putting your body through a series of rituals and such infusing your soul to and item and ripping your flesh off therefore imbuing you body with negative energys and sustaining your skeleton with a part of your personality... but maybe its just me...

The Extinguisher
2008-08-16, 12:14 AM
Yeah, it's really hard to die from lack of sleep. Generally, at a week of no sleep, if you are ever not doing anything, you will sleep.

But I do see something big, crazy and permenant in V's future. He's going to do something to gain power.

thereaper
2008-08-16, 12:14 AM
Hey, I never said V was going lich. Don't lump me in those crazies. :smallwink:

Nevitan
2008-08-16, 12:16 AM
Hey, I never said V was going lich. Don't lump me in those crazies. :smallwink:

I didn't mean to aim it at you I just hit the reply button after reading like the twentieth V'S GONNA BE A LICH!!!111!1! got a bit annoyed and started typing.

Ah, but you do need rest.
hmm, ah yes, well i checked and your right I was thinking of the rules on "recently cast spells" humblest of apologies.

disorder
2008-08-16, 04:01 AM
I've never EVER heard of lack of sleep putting your body through a series of rituals and such infusing your soul to and item and ripping your flesh off therefore imbuing you body with negative energys and sustaining your skeleton with a part of your personality...

Really? If I go a few days without sleep, AND am denied access to coffee, that is exactly what happens to me.

Winged One
2008-08-16, 04:16 AM
I've never EVER heard of lack of sleep putting your body through a series of rituals and such infusing your soul to and item and ripping your flesh off therefore imbuing you body with negative energys and sustaining your skeleton with a part of your personality... but maybe its just me...Really? If I go a few days without sleep, AND am denied access to coffee, that is exactly what happens to me.

I think I have to sig this. The only thing stopping me from sigging this is the limit on sig space.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-16, 11:58 AM
I've never EVER heard of lack of sleep putting your body through a series of rituals and such infusing your soul to and item and ripping your flesh off therefore imbuing you body with negative energys and sustaining your skeleton with a part of your personality... but maybe its just me...

Same thing, bassically.

LordOfNarf
2008-08-17, 01:41 AM
A wizard dosen't have to sleep to cast spells, and spells, once prepared, don't go away. Also, IIRC, researching new spells dosen't require the casting of spells, so it is possible that V could not be sleeping, or only sleeping once/week or somesuch, as often as necessary to replentish spells, and nothing more.

Also, what is V doing in all this time? The spell research and item creation rules specifically state that only 8 hrs/day can be spent, and the rest of the hours must be spent doing "light activity"

SPoD
2008-08-17, 01:52 AM
Here's the thing that many people are forgetting: any discussions of sleep have no place here, because V is physically incapable of sleeping. Elves do not sleep, EVER. Even when subjected to a magical spell that would force them to sleep. What they do is enter a voluntary meditative trance for a few hours...but there is no indication in the core rules what happens to an elf who simply doesn't. It could be literally anything; Rich is free to make it up. All V has to do to regain spells is "rest" which does not necessarily include trancing.

Interestingly, the lack of conclusive rules about sleeping/trancing is a pet peeve of Rich's that he's addressed several times.

Nevitan
2008-08-17, 02:23 AM
Here's the thing that many people are forgetting: any discussions of sleep have no place here, because V is physically incapable of sleeping. Elves do not sleep, EVER. Even when subjected to a magical spell that would force them to sleep. What they do is enter a voluntary meditative trance for a few hours...but there is no indication in the core rules what happens to an elf who simply doesn't. It could be literally anything; Rich is free to make it up. All V has to do to regain spells is "rest" which does not necessarily include trancing.

Interestingly, the lack of conclusive rules about sleeping/trancing is a pet peeve of Rich's that he's addressed several times.

well I though about that too but after looking it up:smallsigh: it says that just because elves don't sleep doesn't mean they don't need 8 hours rest it just means they need 4 hours trance and 4 hours rest... I was disappointed too

:mitd:AWWW come on:mitd: just put it in spoilers I wanna have someone sporting my name in there sig please?:smallfrown:

... see I can be insightful...

tanonx
2008-08-17, 02:25 AM
Common sense is a material component! 'Cause demons don't make sense! Snarls and Xykon and fleet-cities and magic in general do, but you don't!

I'm not entirely sure if that was the usual sarcasim on V's part, or if his mind's fleeing in abject terror and trancelessness.

Felixaar
2008-08-17, 02:39 AM
Nope. I'm actually looking forward to what appears to be an inevitable demise.

Innis Cabal
2008-08-17, 02:42 AM

You'd be right if Elan didnt spoil that today. Even if its just precived as sleep to him. the term "sleep" can just mean rest in this sense

heroe_de_leyenda
2008-08-17, 07:25 AM
I don't know about you, guys, but V's course of action keeps giving me the feeling that his Destiny is coming closer and closer! (the "...for all the wrong reasons" oracle thing)

Emperor Ing
2008-08-17, 07:30 AM
V seems very resilient at this point. Not very many people, especially wizards, can take a direct flaming punch from a like 500 foot demon and walk away seemingly unharmed.
:smallconfused::smalleek:

Zolem
2008-08-17, 08:55 AM

I actualy figured that out mathematicly, useing the bathroom ref early in the series to compair biological eficiency. Elves can last 19 1/4 months before they die.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-17, 10:51 AM
I am extremely worried about V's health. However, I think that battling a Balor may just tire him/her out enough to fall asleep. Also, it would be fun if the component he/she ends up using is Banjo, and then he/she ends up worshipping Banjo, and Elan commands her to Trance a bit...

hamishspence
2008-08-17, 10:56 AM
Probably not a balor (they come with whip and sword standard issue) In any case, it seems more Lawful than Chaotic (and so does Qarr).

Advanced Pit Fiend more feasible. Maybe there is a bigger, stupider devil i haven't seen anywhere (or maybe its apparent doziness is for humour purposes)

I'm not sure if Epic handbook Infernal is likely, since they are very powerful, but would still need advancing to be that size. And do not have big horns.

Lunaya
2008-08-17, 11:47 AM
V seems very resilient at this point. Not very many people, especially wizards, can take a direct flaming punch from a like 500 foot demon and walk away seemingly unharmed.
:smallconfused::smalleek:

Durkon had just cast Bear's Endurance on the party.

GSFB
2008-08-17, 11:48 AM
I will still say becoming a lich requires necromancy of one sort or another. And "rule zero" trumps all book rules. My rule zero as a DM would be that a PC becoming a lich would require the intentional application of necromantic magic, either by the player, or by another on behalf of the player. For instance:

when Redcloak helped Xykon become a lich in Start of Darkness

You certainly DON'T become a lich by accident. That is, unless you accidentally create a living horcrux phylactery by botching your attempt at killing a nemesis.

I could see that happening to Belkar, maybe, but not V.

(sarcasm)

HealthKit
2008-08-17, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if V became a Baelnorn in the end.

*wonders how old :vaarsuvius: is*

TARINunit9
2008-08-17, 02:17 PM
Every time I see her I think "get some friggin' SLEEP". Speaking of which, doesn't (s)he need rest to recharge spells? After 4 month's, you'd think (s)he'd burnt them all by now.

Synthetic
2008-08-17, 05:58 PM
I actualy figured that out mathematicly, useing the bathroom ref early in the series to compair biological eficiency. Elves can last 19 1/4 months before they die.

Check the other thread where you first stated that theory. Because it is nothing more than a theory. Given that humans can go 9 months completely without sleep before dying, not the one week that you assumed, your math was completely shot.

Ikialev
2008-08-18, 09:06 AM
I don't care, he is a [insert random bad word.].

Also,

Given that humans can go 9 months completely without sleep before dying
So i believe it was tested by someone, and this someone is still alive?

Rayzin
2008-08-18, 11:31 AM
I don't care, he is a [insert random bad word.].

No one has the will power to stay up that long, its probably a theory that your body does not require sleep for 9 months. Most people would fall asleep after a few days.

snoopy13a
2008-08-18, 11:37 AM

I believe he/she meant under DnD game mechanics.

Laurentio II
2008-08-18, 11:42 AM
Every time I see her I think "get some friggin' SLEEP". Speaking of which, doesn't (s)he need rest to recharge spells? After 4 month's, you'd think (s)he'd burnt them all by now.
Or maybe that he gets some rest, but not enough anyway. It's just a theory that he NEVER meditate.
And no, Elan's comment is not conclusive.

Mortith
2008-09-18, 10:17 PM
I just was re-reading OOTS.

Strip #436

:vaarsuvius: is hit with a poisoned arrow meant for Hinjo

His/her Protection from Arrows spell stopped It, but I bet the poison might have still got to :vaarsuvius:. That, combined with not enough sleep/rest is my guess at what is making :vaarsuvius: look terrible

Njord
2008-09-19, 03:31 PM
Actually he is not hit at all, since the arrows bounces back at his protection field, besides, to be posioned you need to be hit. at least if the poison is a liquid in an metal (blade, arrows etc) and not airbone virus something :P

Now at first I truly saw some evil willow coming to V, but re-reading the oracle strip, I think It wont happen. At least, I don't think he will become a lich (even if a good one).

He have to consider: what exactly does "complete and total ultimate arcane power" means.

Is V becoming a divine being? (which would fit his gender is not a issue thing) Perhaps because of his obssession an evil divine being?

ANd ok, I agree that ultimatily, I have to pose the questios if, are the current events at all related with the oracle prediction?

I don't know, but since all the other predictions are pretty mich happening by now ( Hayley and Belkar ) perhaps V is too about to happen.

Dentarthur
2008-09-19, 04:56 PM
One problem being elves, even wizards, really dislike Liches. Not a problem. V is exactly the type to disregard such niceties if they stand in the way of greater arcane understanding/power.

Boogastreehouse
2008-09-19, 06:51 PM
I finally got around to registering for this message board, just so that I could make this observation. I'm sure this has already been suggested elsewhere, but:

Just before he was briefly killed, the Oracle was explaining that many deaths could be indirectly traced back Belkar. They were weasly arguments, but not entirely without substance. The Oracle died just as he was saying "And as for the elf—" which strongly implies that the Oracle intended to draw a line of cause and effect from actions taken by Belkar to the death of Vaarsuvius.

I would like to submit for consideration that the action taken by Belkar that will eventually lead to Vaarsuvius' death was the drunken New Year's kiss. Vaarsuvius says that she is desperately seeking Haley, but what Vaarsuvius will not admit, even to himself, is that she is actually desperately seeking Belkar. This will somehow be the death of him.

Remember that the Oracle only ever guarenteed a happy ending for Elan.

Kaytara
2008-09-20, 06:04 AM
Sorry, but that's already been suggested a zillion times before - not in this thread, though, I'll give you that. It's easy to find Belkar's fault in V's current obsession. I think the most obvious argument would be Belkar pointing out the birds for Haley to shoot, thus foiling V's latest communication attempt.

I too have wondered what Ultimate Arcane Power actually means.... I even thought about starting a thread about it at some time, but since it's such a vague thing...

One thing we can be pretty sure about, though. It's arcane power. Which, IMO, pretty much precludes becoming a god...
Of course, it does NOT preclude using said arcane power to threaten the gods into making him a deity, or using said arcane power to influence the fabric of the universe, or whatever...

I don't think V's prophecy will come true any time soon. Him becoming omnipotent at this point would solve too many problems too easily, and if it's just one brief shot of arcane power, then it wastes a perfectly good ace in the sleeve that would otherwise have been useful in the Ultimate Showdown.

Hypothesis: I think Vaarsuvius will get Ultimate Arcane Power shortly before the comic ends, and will use it to unmake the Snarl without destroying the entire world. That way the Order of the Stick would have accomplished what the Order of the Scribble could not, thus ending the story in a satisfying and ultimately happy way, no matter what sacrifices are necessary for that victory. Speaking of sacrifices, I'm already sobbing in their anticipation.

Zeful
2008-09-20, 06:25 AM
Check the other thread where you first stated that theory. Because it is nothing more than a theory. Given that humans can go 9 months completely without sleep before dying, not the one week that you assumed, your math was completely shot.

People start going into a waking dreamstate, commonly called hallucination, at 7 days. If you started doing times tables in your head to keep your brain on task, you might survive another 4-5. Science has tested how long the human body can go without sleep. No test subject lived longer than 15 days.

I've been up all night and the talk of sleep makes me sleepy, g'night.

LuisDantas
2008-09-20, 06:55 AM
Common sense is a material component! 'Cause demons don't make sense! Snarls and Xykon and fleet-cities and magic in general do, but you don't!

Actually, (s)he was sort of proven right. Vaarsuvius wasn't complaining about the Pit Fiend's existence, but about its ridiculous size, well above anything that Qarr could be expected to summon. And indeed it turned out that the Pit Fiend _was_ ridiculously big for its actual Challenge Rate. It was far more vulnerable to spells than its size would suggest. V may even have deduced that weakness out of the apparent inconsistency.

David Argall
2008-09-20, 02:19 PM
Just before he was briefly killed, the Oracle was explaining that many deaths could be indirectly traced back Belkar. They were weasly arguments, but not entirely without substance. The Oracle died just as he was saying "And as for the elf—" which strongly implies that the Oracle intended to draw a line of cause and effect from actions taken by Belkar to the death of Vaarsuvius.

There is a progression here.
Roy's death as explanation was sharp practice, but a valid argument.
Miko's death was an invalid argument, but at least the court would have to consider it.
The death of her horse was absurd and would be thrown out of court immediately.
Therefore the Oracle's "explanation" of why Belkar caused the death of V would have been entirely nonsense.

Lamech
2008-09-20, 02:47 PM
On the subject of V's health. I see him getting toasted here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html) slammed into the ground here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html). After the fight he has the lack of sleep lines, and a few marks on his robe (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html), but before the fight (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html), he had those marks too. The fire I can understand, possibly a resist elemants spell, but being slammed into the ground?!? I think it is a distinct possiblity V is messing around with his body somehow...

Baron Pineapple
2008-09-20, 03:01 PM
For my part, I keep thinking that V looks remarkably like Xykon did right before he transfigured into a lich and ripped his flesh off. I know many people are annoyed by the thought, and it is strange to consider given V's personality and previous statements, but the simililarity is uncanny.

Boogastreehouse
2008-09-20, 04:29 PM

There is a progression here.
Roy's death as explanation was sharp practice, but a valid argument.
Miko's death was an invalid argument, but at least the court would have to consider it.
The death of her horse was absurd and would be thrown out of court immediately.
Therefore the Oracle's "explanation" of why Belkar caused the death of V would have been entirely nonsense.

Y'know, I see your point, but the way in which Mr. Burlew has the Oracle cut off in mid-sentance just seems so deliberate to me that I can't shake the feeling that it was meant to be overlooked now, and significant later.

As was pointed out earlier though, I don't read the forums very often, and my theories have undoubtedly already been heavily explored.

AREA51
2008-09-20, 10:32 PM
I don't think it's simply a lack of trance, but rather the fact that (s)he's been messing around with magic for at least three months straight! Not only would (s)he be working with raw magical energy, (s)he would be working with said energy for 24 hours a day. Durkon even mentioned that she hardly ever leaves her "dark cave." Given what we've seen from V this arc, his/her determination in infallible. (S)he sees party members being taken hostage and an attacking demon only minor interruptions before going back to his/her work. This determination could very well lead to:
a) Turning to Dark Arts (previously mentioned)
b) Becoming a lich to achieve ultimate arcane power (previously mentioned) and the lacking requirements liches have for sleep (not previously mentioned)
or
c) Dropping dead from exhaustion (previously mentioned)

That's my two-bits. Take em or leave em.

Greep
2008-09-27, 03:11 PM
well V also has the exact skin coloration/crackling/eye patches as the undead dragon Xykon rides. V's got only a couple comics left tops at the current rate. I would laugh if Belkar's causing V's death ws sneezing on him ;D

Eric
2008-09-27, 03:42 PM
People start going into a waking dreamstate, commonly called hallucination, at 7 days. If you started doing times tables in your head to keep your brain on task, you might survive another 4-5. Science has tested how long the human body can go without sleep. No test subject lived longer than 15 days.

I've been up all night and the talk of sleep makes me sleepy, g'night.

I don't think anyone has died from sleep deprivation yet. 15 days is how long people have managed to stay awake.

Greep
2008-09-27, 03:56 PM
as someone said earlier, fatal familial insomnia. 7-36 months till death, people do die from insomnia (insanely rarely).

Of course, if you're fighting large demons while severely sleep deprived, you'll prolly just get sick and die, related but not caused by the insomnia.

Lowkey
2008-09-27, 04:33 PM
Given the need to rest to prepare spells, I'd imagine that V's current state is a result of failing to take care of one's self rather then not resting for months on end. The schedule is probably something like rest every couple of days only as long as necessary to recharge magic, then focus on research and study until you expend everything you had or need to learn something new. Failure to do things like shower and other basic hygiene activities coupled with little rest (rather then none at all) could easily explain V's appearance. Remember that Xykon's appearance was a result of being ill, and poor hygiene would result in many of the same issues. Right now V is the equivalent of the player who focuses on the games so much they fail to take care of their real priorities first.

I rather suspect Roy's first set of orders to V upon his return will be to command V to rest and start taking care of him/herself. Though I suspect V will have a breakdown when s/he realizes that they could just have sent out Blackwing and had him report back.

Holammer
2008-09-27, 04:46 PM
Really? If I go a few days without sleep, AND am denied access to coffee, that is exactly what happens to me.

I was up 96+ hours at one time without sleep or rest and without coffee. In fact, I had to make the decision to lay down and close my eyes because I started to worry a little. I'm still okay so no worries there. I'm not ripping off my own flesh :smallsmile:

Now, something is obviously wrong with V, from strip 504 till the most recent (596 now). He or she is looking progressively worse with each strip. Had it implied an insomnia type problem rings under the eyes would suffice to illustrate it. Here it's cracked skin or veins. Heck V is even dirty with unkempt hair and doesn't care to get wounds healed during or after the fight.
Might be a lich type thing or something really weird from some obscure source book. Only Rich knows at this point, but whatever it is it happens for a future story twist I reckon.

Kaytara
2008-09-27, 05:30 PM
Given the need to rest to prepare spells, I'd imagine that V's current state is a result of failing to take care of one's self rather then not resting for months on end. The schedule is probably something like rest every couple of days only as long as necessary to recharge magic, then focus on research and study until you expend everything you had or need to learn something new. Failure to do things like shower and other basic hygiene activities coupled with little rest (rather then none at all) could easily explain V's appearance. Remember that Xykon's appearance was a result of being ill, and poor hygiene would result in many of the same issues. Right now V is the equivalent of the player who focuses on the games so much they fail to take care of their real priorities first.

I rather suspect Roy's first set of orders to V upon his return will be to command V to rest and start taking care of him/herself. Though I suspect V will have a breakdown when s/he realizes that they could just have sent out Blackwing and had him report back.

I'm pretty sure simply not showering for six months (which might actually not be that bad for an elf, it's entirely likely they don't get filthy as fast as humans) doesn't make one have deathly pale transparent skin with every vein showing. Considering that V neglected to get himself healed - deliberately or maybe just didn't pay much heed to the damage - some kind of undeath seems more and more likely. Is it possibly to just work yourself into undeath? :P

Eric
2008-09-27, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure simply not showering for six months (which might actually not be that bad for an elf, it's entirely likely they don't get filthy as fast as humans) doesn't make one have deathly pale transparent skin with every vein showing. Considering that V neglected to get himself healed - deliberately or maybe just didn't pay much heed to the damage - some kind of undeath seems more and more likely. Is it possibly to just work yourself into undeath? :P

Six months of exhausting work, you mean.

I get pretty minging after a few hours pumping iron.

And if magic already includes such material components as Bat guano, who knows WHAT chemicals V's had to have close and constant contact with???

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-27, 07:48 PM
What I don't get is how V still has prepared spells. Wouldn't he have to sleep anyway to prepare them?

Kaytara
2008-09-27, 08:05 PM
Six months of exhausting work, you mean.

I get pretty minging after a few hours pumping iron.

And if magic already includes such material components as Bat guano, who knows WHAT chemicals V's had to have close and constant contact with???

The chemicals, I agree with.
However, it's exhausting mental work. Comparable to doing calculus 24/7 for six months, I suppose... It's probably rather straining and would explain V's irritability very well, but it simply shouldn't have such a noticeable physical effect. Which is why I'm inclined to believe it's something more... Maybe Vaarsuvius tried to use his life-force for boosting the potency of the spells? Is that even possible in DnD? I'm not quite willing to accept the baelnorn/lich explanation just yet...

What I don't get is how V still has prepared spells. Wouldn't he have to sleep anyway to prepare them?

I believe the consensus is that Vaarsuvius either doesn't actually need to trance to prepare the spells, merely concentrate for a time (the lizard arc backs this up, since V prepares spells but doesn't seem to actually rest there), or that Vaarsuvius is getting enough rest to restore the spells, but not enough to keep himself healthy.

LavenderIsGreen
2008-09-27, 08:21 PM
Y'know, I see your point, but the way in which Mr. Burlew has the Oracle cut off in mid-sentance just seems so deliberate to me that I can't shake the feeling that it was meant to be overlooked now, and significant later.

Yeah, that definitely looks like a sign that V's gonna bite it.

My pet theory--probably pieced together from other ideas I've seen on the forums, but hey--is that the "death" is actually just gaining and then losing (due to Belkar) the Ultimate-Arcane-Power-induced immortality. We already know V's getting the power, but V can't keep it, 'cause we can't have an omnipotent living being in the comicverse. Too many problems. So, lost power/immortality.

The alternative, probably permanent character death, is just depressing. Now I just have to find a rationalization for Belkar's death prophecy...

Watchdog
2008-09-27, 10:03 PM
I'm not concerned. I'm always eager to see what misfortune befalls each character.

V's health failing and becoming something of a jerk is prime entertainment for me. :smallamused:

What? I like me some character development. This is really developing V as a character.

Eric
2008-09-28, 12:52 PM
The chemicals, I agree with.
However, it's exhausting mental work.

Don't you know how much metabolic rate goes into the brain alone? Your calorific requirements can go up noticeably just by sitting down and watching telly.

Now try something that needs a super-genius level of intelligence to start.