PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Development: The Movie?

prongs43
2008-08-13, 07:52 PM
So, it has been announced. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901469/) A movie is being made based off of what was in my opinion one of the funniest shows on television that did not get what it deserved. And I for one am very excited for it. I can't wait to see 'GOB', Buster, and all of the infamous Bluths on the big screen. I also can't wait to see some of the running jokes from the series like the chicken dances, "I've made a huge mistake," and "Her?" Anyone else have other thoughts about the movie? Anyone else here a fan of the sadly cancelled tv series?

Selrahc
2008-08-13, 08:04 PM
Big fan of the series. Glad they are going to make a movie. At this point? Thats about all I can say.

Lawliet
2008-08-13, 08:06 PM
Wow, didn't see that one coming. Well, I hope it's good, i really thought the series were hilarious.

Sneak
2008-08-13, 08:34 PM
Huh. Well, that was unexpected.

The show was amazing, anyway. I can only hope they manage to transfer the hilarity into movie format.

chiasaur11
2008-08-13, 08:35 PM
Sounds good.
I just need to finish watching season three.

Gygaxphobia
2008-08-14, 04:24 PM
They wrapped it up really well in season three, the ending was fantastic.

I'm really pleased that they're all still getting work out of it, but I'm not sure it is a good idea to revive something that was 'resolved'.

UglyPanda
2008-08-14, 07:26 PM
I love the series and have all the DVDs, but I share the same apprehension. What more could happen in the equivalent timespan to four episodes?

SlightlyEvil
2008-08-15, 10:45 AM
Cautiously optimistic. I felt the show ended well, and it never lost steam like so many other great shows do late in their runs (Exhbits A, B, and C: The Simpsons). It'll probably be good, because the writing is so funny and the central cast is all excellent, but the ending of Development Arrested (the finale) doesn't leave much opening for more story.

Selrahc
2008-08-15, 11:40 AM
Uh... did things get resolved in the finale?

At the end of the episode, Lucille is on the run from the police in a cruise liner, Lindsay wants to get together with Michael, George Michael and Maebe are married but the plotline didn't really get resolved(It kind of did, but not to the extent that stuff couldn't be written on it), Michael and George Michael are in some country with George sr. plus, other stuff.

Way I see it its one of the least resolved finale episodes ever! In fact that kind of seems to be the point. Even after the show stops the family is shown to be still in the chaos it was in during the series.

And they probably did have plans for a movie even when they were writing the finale, because you know.. the last line was talking about a making a movie?

Gygaxphobia
2008-08-15, 05:23 PM
And they probably did have plans for a movie even when they were writing the finale, because you know.. the last line was talking about a making a movie?

There were a lot of jokes about needing someway to save themselves, needing sponsorship etc and I just counted the movie references as one of those. Certainly at the time there was no funding in sight for a movie.

Maybe they have got a way to tie it together without it feeling like a 'false' revival, maybe they even planned it.
I guess what I mean is that I feel like I got closure on the last season, even if it was being rushed to a finale.

Shadow
2008-08-16, 02:36 AM
In case anyone was wondering, you can watch a ton of the full episodes online on Yahoo.

I watch them often. Loved that freakin' show!

Watch 'em here! (http://tv.yahoo.com/arrested-development/show/35099/videos;_ylt=AuwF5EsgwC7RFYYmBAdvMR0BxI54)
Way I see it its one of the least resolved finale episodes ever! In fact that kind of seems to be the point. Even after the show stops the family is shown to be still in the chaos it was in during the series.If I'm not mistaken, that wasn't supposed to be a Series Finale.
It was canceled pretty much without warning, if I recall correctly.

hanzo66
2008-08-16, 10:13 AM
First Firefly (with Serenity) and now this?

Sounds... Interesting actually.

Jibar
2008-08-16, 10:38 AM
I've watched a bit of Arrested Development. At 2am. With the TV muted.
...I was doing my homework.
Anyway, it is very good. And it was strangely very easy to pick up what was going on without any dialogue.
If a movie came out, I'd go see it. Even if it's just to find out what people's voices sound like.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-08-18, 04:05 PM
I'm loving this news. I've been eagerly anticipating this ever since the rumours started not long after the cancellation. Since everyone involved in the show is returning, I'm really looking forward to an excellent movie.

If I'm not mistaken, that wasn't supposed to be a Series Finale.
It was canceled pretty much without warning, if I recall correctly.

The writing was pretty much on the wall for all of Season 3. The producers knew there was a good chance the show would be cancelled pretty much all season, and they prepared accordingly by ending the series on their own terms with that beautifully chaotic final episode.

Irenaeus
2008-08-19, 01:36 AM
They have sort of been talking about a movie since the last part of season three was aired. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Cautiously.

Jerthanis
2008-08-19, 04:09 AM
I've been under the impression this movie was a sure thing for half a year now, but it's good to hear actual concrete resolution to its creation.

I'd like to throw in my chips with the "3rd season finale resolved nothing" crowd. Going into the last two episodes I was saying to myself, "It seems like the writers know they're canceled and are wrapping everything up and concluding all their story lines." then after seeing the finale it seemed instead like they wanted to just rub the producers' faces in the fact that they could have kept going as long as they wanted.

On the one hand, I'm excited, Arrested Development was awesome, but most of its humor was self-refferential, and at this late period it's hard to imagine a person going to see the movie without having seen the show first. This sort of problem could lead to low ticket sales, which will be used as further proof against shows with clever writing in the future.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-08-19, 10:02 AM
I've been under the impression this movie was a sure thing for half a year now, but it's good to hear actual concrete resolution to its creation.

Many of the actors for quite a few months now have said either they think a movie is in the works or that it was all but in works, but until there was an official announcement I wasn't going to get my hopes up too much.