PDA

View Full Version : The Improvement Thread

Casualgamer
2006-09-27, 10:56 PM
There are those who are happy with how they draw, then there are those who are never satisfied. This thread is for all of you doodlers, sketchers, and other amateurs who want honest, cold criticism, not blatant flattery.

So, post your stuff, or come on and criticize someone elses'. This does not mean insult, this means criticize, so play honest, if not nice.

Just to kick things off, tear this piece of in-class doodling a new one:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/aznsenseiliao/art006.jpg

Brickwall
2006-09-27, 11:00 PM
I have an entire gallery up for review here (http://vriatix.deviantart.com/).

Incedentally, your "doodle" is better than anything I've ever done (evidence here). Congrats on being another instrument in the annihlation of my ego.

Casualgamer
2006-09-27, 11:33 PM
Hrm.

Where should I start.

Ah, right, stick figures.

It looks to me like you drew everything you've done free form, meaning, without structuring.

Do me a favor. Pick up an eraser. You'll need it. The first step to drawing decent humanoid figures is to determine their pose, placement, and volume BEFORE you draw them out. I like to draw stick figures (albeit anatomically correct stick figures... however that works), then add balls, cylinders, and cones on top of that to get a rough shape. Others like to draw points (like "elbow" and "wrist") then fill in the blanks.

Regardless, usually you'll need some underneath structuring (which will be erased) before you start drawing.

Second, regarding proportions, the human figure is 7-8 "heads" tall. The torso, including the neck, is three heads long (well, how I like to do it), the shoulders two heads wide (more for the buff types less for slim females and wimps), and the elbow should come exactly to the midpoint of the torso. The hand, when the arm is hanging loose, falls to the midpoint of the thigh.

Third, be keen on balance. Draw a midline for your figures. Body mass is always, unless the character is jumping, or in free fall or something, distributed evenly along this line.

Umm, thats I can think of for now. Oh yeah! Example of anatomical correctness (or at least close enough):

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/aznsenseiliao/Picture006.jpg

or

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/aznsenseiliao/Picture.jpg

Brickwall
2006-09-27, 11:51 PM
I suppose you would have trouble believing that I do an understructure? And that I do have a fairly good concept of human anatomy. I'm guessing you're one of those people who takes for granted the ability to accurately transfer the picture in your mind to what you draw on paper. I personally have been spending years developing a practically nonexistant art talent into what you see. I also have a nice, high quality kneaded rubber eraser. I'd hate to see what my stuff looked like without it.

Again, just keep in mind that I don't even have the capability of drawing a 1 cm straight line. My problems are really more developing correctly upon the understructure rather than making one in the first place. Not trying to deny your criticism here, but I am saying I've heard all your stuff before. Many times.

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-28, 12:12 AM
There are those who are happy with how they draw, then there are those who are never satisfied. This thread is for all of you doodlers, sketchers, and other amateurs who want honest, cold criticism, not blatant flattery.

So, post your stuff, or come on and criticize someone elses'. This does not mean insult, this means criticize, so play honest, if not nice.

Just to kick things off, tear this piece of in-class doodling a new one:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/aznsenseiliao/art006.jpg

When I opened that link, my jaw dropped. I hate you people and your artistic skills. I have issues drawing Bohr models of atoms.

Anyway: I liked, perhaps a bit too much shading/smudging, didn't make the armor look crisp. Understandable with the tools you had to work with. The left arm (which is on the right side of the picture, incidentally) looks a bit short and stubby and the left foot (again, on the right side of the paper) seems to be on a different plane as the right foot.

If you want critiques on style, you ain't gonna get from me because, frankly I don't know anything about that.

EDIT: Looked at your other two pics and I must say the same problems extend to those two. Perhaps it is an issue with perspective, but the left arms and/or legs just look... off to me, usually they're too small.

Vaynor
2006-09-28, 12:31 AM
Perhaps it is an issue with perspective, but the left arms and/or legs just look... off to me, usually they're too small.
I believe it's just perspective playing tricks on ya. Looks fine to me. Greta pics by the way.

Brickwall
2006-09-28, 12:36 AM
Actually, I think the left arm on the mech sketch is supposed to be constructed differently. Either that, or it's because it's not a fully done drawing.

Casualgamer
2006-09-28, 09:44 AM
I suppose you would have trouble believing that I do an understructure? And that I do have a fairly good concept of human anatomy. I'm guessing you're one of those people who takes for granted the ability to accurately transfer the picture in your mind to what you draw on paper. I personally have been spending years developing a practically nonexistant art talent into what you see. I also have a nice, high quality kneaded rubber eraser. I'd hate to see what my stuff looked like without it.

Again, just keep in mind that I don't even have the capability of drawing a 1 cm straight line. My problems are really more developing correctly upon the understructure rather than making one in the first place. Not trying to deny your criticism here, but I am saying I've heard all your stuff before. Many times.

Hm. I didn't see that coming. Then draw from reference.

I have to admit, I can't draw straight lines either, but it's not stopping me.

On the topic of my pics, trident man does have a bit of an undersized arm, this isn't the first time I've heard that. On the other pic, I think it's just perspective slappin you around. It IS a vernacular.

I have to admit (again) that despite all I've said about understructuring, for the powered armor pic I didn't understructure anything but the legs. I was just in class thinking, wouldn't it be cool... so I drew what I was thinking. Then, about halfway through, I decided I wanted the legs to look decent, so I drew an understructure for that. The weakest point of the drawing would probably be that there's no way a human could actually fit in that. He/she would have to be twisted and stretched rather painfully... That, and there's not enough range of motion possible on the head.

Brickwall
2006-09-28, 03:34 PM
Draw from a reference? That actually turns out worse every time.

Okay, I think this is leading up to me being hopeless, so let's get some other artists here, eh?

Casualgamer
2006-09-28, 10:37 PM
It's not about you immediately getting better results, its about connecting the real world (which you are probably trying to represent in one way or another) to your drawing.

Serpentine
2006-09-29, 11:28 AM
Again, just keep in mind that I don't even have the capability of drawing a 1 cm straight line. My problems are really more developing correctly upon the understructure rather than making one in the first place.
What I suggest (and often do), is draw a whole lot of lines until you get one or a combination of several that are just right, and use that, rub out the rest. This goes for straight lines and curves, especially circles or ovals. Otherwise, charcoal's great: smudge it a bit, and all the lines look deliberate and in the right place ^_^ (great for drawing cats, for some reason).