Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V,S,F
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Personal
Area: 100+10ft/level emanation centered on caster
Duration:Full Concentration, up to 4 rounds/special
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Upon casting R.A.D.A.R. invisible waves of intangible force are sent out in every direction. This force rebounds off of solid objects within the spell's range and returns to the caster giving a limited amount of information back to them. The intangible force does not penetrate through solid objects, but can travel around corners and underneath doors that have sufficient space beneath them (>.5"). The caster may concentrate for up to four rounds to gain more information on their surroundings.

end of 1st round: Force returns back giving the layout of the zone within the spell's area. (rooms in range, a general layout of a forest, location of a building)

2nd round: The force that bounced off of less-solid objects returns, giving the number of living beings in the area of effect.

3rd round: The size of the living beings in the area of effect is known to the caster.

4th round: The caster gains a vague outline of the creatures in the area of effect. (DM gives a vague description)

after four rounds of concentration, the caster may recall all fine details of the area (obstacles) and acts as if they have blindsight within that area for up to 1d4+int modifier rounds(minimum 1).

Focus: A small silver bowl worth at least 5gp

I came up with R.A.D.A.R. after much thought (mainly with the naming). There are all of these detect abilities, but none of them can really tell you the general layout of a room or corridor. I added the full concentration and allowed for spell resistance (stealth!) to keep it somewhat in balance. Knowing there are 4 large creatures around the corner of the corridor is as good of warning as any I suppose. The reason I came up with it is because often times there is no way for starting adventurers to overcome magical darkness, they have no real detection abilities to allow them surprise (that aren't set up beforehand) and this makes drawing a map of a dungeon much easier for early adventurers.