PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with new cleric.

Staven
2008-08-14, 12:55 AM
I'm starting a human cleric of St. Cuthbert at level 6. I want to do a little power-playing here, but I'm not entirely sure what feats I should be using, at this point I have only 4. I've determined that I want to use the strength and destruction domains. Can I have a little help here?

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-14, 02:03 AM
I'm guessing you want to focus on combat due to your Domains, right? One really cheesy tactic, which isn't quite availableto you at the minute, involves having 7 Turn Undead attempts while taking Extend Spell, Persist Spell and Divine Metamagic to get 24 hour Divine Power. This can be done using Glowsticks or the Extra Turning feat, but it is seen as ridiculously cheap. There is one feat which level 3 Pelor worshipers can take which adds 2d6 to all damage rolls against Evil creaures, but this is also rather cheap, so the DM may not allow it. The "Pious" feats on http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/featsform.pl are likely to be useful to you (Faith points are geerally gained by doing things which are in line with your diety's philosophy).

Curmudgeon
2008-08-14, 04:14 AM
I've determined that I want to use the strength and destruction domains. Can I have a little help here?
If you want help, I'd suggest revisiting those domain choices. Tempest Fennac already pointed out one of the easiest ways to long-term power as a Cleric. You can get there faster if you take the Planning and Undeath domains. A human cleric can get Persistent Spell and Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) at 1st level with these domain choices.

If you want immediate combat prowess, you could take the War domain -- except that isn't in St. Cuthbert's portfolio.

If you "want to do a little power-playing" you pretty much need to work backwards from that goal. You'll end up picking domains and maybe a deity based on meeting the requirements for your chosen approach to power-playing.

Darrin
2008-08-14, 07:28 AM
If you want immediate combat prowess, you could take the War domain -- except that isn't in St. Cuthbert's portfolio.

You can use the Planar Touchstone feat from the Planar Handbook to pick up the War domain granted power via the Catalogues of Enlightenment (p. 166).

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-14, 09:15 AM
Leadership feat for your Warband. If LG and Charisma wasn't a dump stat consider going Prestige Paladin if your DM will permit it from L7 to L9:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-14, 10:08 AM
First of all, what books do you have access to?

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-14, 10:27 AM
Are you sure that the Prestiege Paladin would work? It would lose a ton of caster levels, and it doesn't appear to grant any particularly useful abilities.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-14, 10:44 AM
A 3 level dip into Prestige Paladin grants the majority of the Paladin abilites and only loses a single casting level which is a pretty good deal (Full BAB for those 3 levels along with the following specials: Detect evil, smite evil 1/day, turn undead, Divine grace, lay on hands, special mount, Aura of courage, divine health). I didn't post regarding taking more than 3 levels L7 - L9. The primary cost is taking the Mounted Combat feat and any other PRC but OP seems interested in a martial type.