PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed

Neftren
2008-08-14, 06:58 AM
Since I don't feel like digging for an old thread just to gravedig, I just got the game today. It runs fine on my brother's computer, and swordfighting is pretty cool. My issue is that Vista keeps saying that Assassin's Creed won't run and will look for a solution to fix it. I clearly meet the hardware requirements, all my drivers are up to date and I have no idea what's wrong.

Any suggestions? I think it's Vista being annoying, since it worked fine in XP. It installed fine and everything, but it always crashes right after the Intro cutscene during launch. Hardware specs provided upon request, but they shouldn't matter too much.

Lord Herman
2008-08-14, 07:14 AM
That's odd. I have Vista too, and Assassin's Creed runs fine on my system. Is your Vista completely up to date?

Neftren
2008-08-16, 04:01 PM
Yep. Home Premium SP1 v6.... whatever the last few numbers are.
Oh and on a side note, the sound in Oblivion doesn't work. I wish I wasn't plagued with computer problems.

Sequinox
2008-08-18, 08:06 PM
I made an assassin's creed thread a while ago. We discussed the end of the game and then it died out. It really was a lot of fun, though. And the people who wined that it gets repetitive: I never found that about the game. It was always a lot of fun, even scaling every viewpoint after I played the game through just because I was bored.

The Orange Zergling
2008-08-18, 08:10 PM
Kind of monotonous and it has a few glaring and rather distracting visual issues (People continue to make gestures after they've finished talking for about 5-10 seconds during which time there is silence, like it was programmed in a far more wordy language and they didn't port it that well, also people's legs cut through their robes like they don't exist extremely often) for me, but overall it's good. Not great, but not bad either. I don't have a 360 so it's on the PC port, which I hear is inferior to the console version.

Shraik
2008-08-18, 08:31 PM
I thought of a sensible idea for a sequel.

And well, this game is good, try yelling at your computer until it works. Its my solution to everything

Jibar
2008-08-19, 02:40 AM
I made an assassin's creed thread a while ago. We discussed the end of the game and then it died out. It really was a lot of fun, though. And the people who wined that it gets repetitive: I never found that about the game. It was always a lot of fun, even scaling every viewpoint after I played the game through just because I was bored.

The first thread, where I discuss how much I love it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63944)
The second thread, where I discuss the sequel. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70507)
The third thread, where I defend it against the most common complaints. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74634)

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-19, 03:27 AM
Aw, Jibar...
At first, I thought shipping you and I was really wierd and off the wall... but...
Assassian's Creed. Yummy.

Yes, I am a fan.
No, repertitve planning missions don't annoy me.
Yes, I got "Blade in the Crowd" on my first Kill.
Yes, I got "Disciple of the Creed" on my first playthrough.

Yes, I got through the last area without drawing my sword except where the game made you, whereupon, I quickly put it away.
Yes, that is possible.

I can't for the life me figure out how to do the
Guy-whos-doing-a-public-execution's
Without being seen. That sill line of guard prevensts me from
blending right through, and the platform is too far away from any buildings to take a circut route

This is the second most annoying assassination in the game, IMHO, the most annoying is
guy-burning-books For obvious, non-stealth-based reasons
I've managed to kill these guys all at full health. Lack of a throwing knife kill - while canonically understandable, is frustrating
The most cannonically annoying kills are the ones
Where you have to chase the poor schmuch through the street until you get close enough to high-profile him. One scene is okay. A minimum of three is annoying.
And, for all those concerned's information:
Paranoid-guy-on-a-boat is my favorite target. I've "Blade in the crowd"'d it on a friend's game for her. She was amazed.

banjo1985
2008-08-19, 07:54 AM
Currently playing through this on the 360 and I must say I've enjoyed it immensely, despite the flaws other people have picked out. The repetition doesn't really do it much damage for me, though I do wish you didn't have to chase after so many of your targets when they catch you in an arbitrary trap.

I must agree with Thanatos in that the assassination of
the guy on the ship
is the most enjoyable and satisfying I've come across. I was able to get to the location, do the deed, and get back safely to the guild without being spotted, though admittedly on the 7th or 8th attempt. I loved that mission, it remains the highlight of the game for me as I head towards the end of the last mission.

Though I do fear I may spend frustrating hours after I've completing the thing looking for all these damn flags....I've only found the whole collection in Maseyef.......:smalleek:

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-19, 07:59 AM
Though I do fear I may spend frustrating hours after I've completing the thing looking for all these damn flags....I've only found the whole collection in Maseyef.......:smalleek:

I haven't collected any of the complete flag sets.
Nor have I killed all the templars (I refuse to use the throw-down sting maneuvere, on them too.)

Caewil
2008-08-19, 08:25 AM
For the guy with the executions have you tried blending with the group of priests (they're to the right)? If you hide amongst them, they walk you right past the guards and onto the platform. But if you go ONTO the platform, Madj spots you and yells. So you have to get off once you're past the guards and wait just below the platform. Wait for Madj to turn his back on the crowd then climb onto the platform and stealth-kill him. This can take a bit of memorizing because if he turns to face the crowd and spots you on the platform, he attacks.

And only two guys run down the streets, as far as I recall.

MammonAzrael
2008-08-25, 11:58 PM
I just finished the game, and I've been looking up the...

...various references and hints scrawled about the 2012 facility with Desmond after you complete the game. I've figured out or found what most of the writings and drawings are/mean, but there is still one that eludes me.

Does anyone know what the drawing of the several hills is supposed to represent. It's on a platform in a corner with the cooling machines. It's quite a large picture, the 6th picture in this article. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175552)

The only idea I've been able to find is if you flip it and look at it "upside-down" it looks like someone on a horse running through water. While I can see this, it doesn't really have anything to do with all the other religious and doomsday motifs throughout the rest of the writings. I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the Mayans, since there's a small Mayan temple drawn on one of the sets of stairs leading up to the drawing. But I could easily be wrong.

Does anyone know?!

mathieumg
2008-09-05, 01:01 PM
Regarding OP, I'm running it without a hitch on Vista Ultimate x64. Have you tried patching the game to the latest version? (we never know, its a step we can sometimes forget when we badly want to get a game to work...) I know one of the patches fixes issues with Vista x64, I don't know if you run Vista 32 or 64 though.