PDA

View Full Version : Arborealist 1.0(base class 3.5, critique please)

talse
2008-08-14, 11:12 AM
So here I am again with the Arborealist. I'm thinking of him as sort of a batman in that he is plan intensive with lots of gadget-esque plants. I want this class to be good, and i know this is my first attempt at full scale homebrew, so be brutal and I'll try to integrate suggestions. Everythings mutable except there can't be a concrete cap on plants per day. Even the name could change, arborealist is a bit hard to say, but arbor mancer sounds silly.

20 LEVEL SPELLCASTING BASE CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+0|
+x|
+0|
+0| Level 0 and 1 bases and modifiers |

2nd|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0 | |

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1| Set 2 mods|

4th|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1| |

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1| Level 2 bases|

6th|
+4|
+4|
+2|
+2|Class Ability|

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2| Set 3 mods|

8th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Class Ability|

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+3| Level 3 bases|

10th|
+7|
+6|
+3|
+3|Class Ability|

11th|
+8|
+7|
+3|
+3| Set 4 mods|

12th|
+9|
+7|
+4|
+4|Class Ability|

13th|
+9|
+8|
+4|
+4| Level 4 bases|

14th|
+10|
+9|
+4|
+4|Class Ability|

15th|
+11|
+9|
+5|
+5| Set 5 mods|

16th|
+12|
+10|
+5|
+5|Class Ability|

17th|
+12|
+10|
+5|
+5| Level 5 bases|

18th|
+13|
+11|
+6|
+6|Class Ability|

19th|
+14|
+11|
+6|
+6|Class Ability|

20th|
+15|
+12|
+6|
+6|Level 6 Plants| [/table]

Class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
skill points 4+int (1st level x4)

1d6 hd

Arborealist plants start with a seed that was designed by the planter. It is comprised of a base and modifiers applied when the seed is created. Seeds have a level that describes how difficult they are to grow and how long they take to mature.

Seed formation: To make a plant seed, begin by choosing one item listed below in Table: Base Seeds. You may create an unaltered seed, or you can modify it by choosing one or more of the abilities listed below in Table: Seed Modifiers. To craft a seed requires a craft(seeds) skill check DC 10+highest level plant+1 for every 2 plants. Crafting takes 2 minutes per seed.

Planting seeds: Planting a seed requires soil or earth with at least 8 hours of sunlight a day. Once planted plants take care of themselves. An arborealist can plant 2 seeds every half hour. At level 5 he can plant 4, and can plant an additional 2 with every new level of base he acquires, maxing at 10.

Maturation: A plant will take 1 day for every level to mature, 1 day minimum. Once mature it will “bloom” and act as the base describes. Mods may effect blooming and maturation. If a plant is not allowed to bloom for 3 times it’s maturation period or 5 days, whichever is longer, it will lose it’s power and wither.

Saving throws for plant abilities are 9+2Xplant level+int modifier

Abilities

Bases:

Level 0
Flash: Releasing stored photosynthesis energy nearby enemies become blinded
Creatures in 10 ft radius are dazzled for 3 turns.

Sap Burst: Stored sap and nectar flow readily from the plant upon activation.
Creatues in a 10 ft radius have move speed halved and have dex modifier reduced by 2, lasts 2 minutes

Level 1
Sun Beam: focusing stored photo synthesis energy a small beam of energy can be released on an enemy.
A 1d4 ray of strong sunlight, deals an additional 1d4 damage to creatures harmed by sunlight. Range of 50 ft

Allergen: Releasing spores the plant weakens all nearby creatures with functioning immune system.
1 dex damage in a 15 foot radius

Plant Mace I: When this plant blooms it generates a bludgeoning weapon covered in thorns. The bludgeon lasts as long as though the plant had not bloomed.
Weapon has stats of a medium Morningstar. However if exposed to fire it is ruined.

Reglow: Releasing stored sunlight the plant shines like daylight.
Bright light out to 20 ft, dim to another 20 ft for 1 hour.

Level 2
Barrier I: In a burst of accelerated growth the plant will fill 3 5ft cubes adjacent to each other. The cubes have hardness 5 and 60 hp. While impassable they are covered in thick vines and are readily climbed.

Sense: When this plant blooms the arborealist can see and hear as though they were there for the following 5 minutes.

Herbal Remedy: When this plant blooms it heals it releases life energy stored.
The nearest injured creature is healed for 2d8 HP.

Trellis: In a burst of growth vines cover the nearby surface.
A cone range 30 ft following solid ground, slows mobility to half. Can be climbed as a ladder.

Plant mace II: as plant mace, but weapon has a +1 to attack and damage rolls.

Drowsing pollen: Spores that induce sleep spread out from the plant.
Will save against sleeping for 10 minutes, radius

Level 3
Transfer: linking one plant to another, an effect can be transferred from one of these plants to the other, as if the caster were in that place.
Upon blooming a transfer plant waits to receive a spell or ability, once received any other transfer plant can be considered the origin of the ability. This lasts for 5 rounds. The transferred ability must come from within 30 ft of the first transfer plant.

Aggressive vines: Growing rapidly these vines entangle much in their path, hurting with their thorns.
A cone range 30 ft, reflex save to avoid damage of 3d6, if hit, strength check to avoid being entangled for 3 rounds.

Plant mace III: as plant mace, but weapon has a +2 to attack and damage rolls.

Level 4

Barrier II: as with barrier I, only 9 Cubes are formed.

Plant mace IV: as plant mace, but weapon has a +3 to attack and damage rolls.

Level 5

Plant mace V: as plant mace, but weapon has a +4 to attack and damage rolls.

Modifiers

Set 0
Activate: by naming the plant the arborealist can bloom the plant at will by recalling the name after it has matured, activating it’s powers. +0 levels. Blooming requires a knowledge nature check DC 10+plant level+number of dormant plants, failed check by more than 5 wastes the plant.

Set 1
Fruit bearing: a fruit bearing plant will produce a fruit when it matures, storing the effect of the plant and making it portable. The fruit can be thrown like a pebble. +1 Level.

Rugged growth: Plants can grow on bare stone.
+1 level

Set 2
Multiple charges: With extra effort plants can manifest their powers multiple times.
For each additional charge on a plant, add +2 to the DC to plant, up to 10, for 6 total uses. +1 Level

Accelerated growth: Seeds with this mod mature at an incredible rate, but are also short lived.
Plants mature in one round for every 2 days they would normally require, spoilage happens at a faster rate as well. +1 level

Set 3
Conditioning: in Lieu of blooming manually, a conditioned plant will bloom when a certain criterion is met. These plants don’t count towards dormant plants for activation DC. +0 level.

Grow anywhere: Plant life is tenacious, and will do anything to grow.
Plants with this mod don’t even need sunlight to grow. +1 level

Set 4

Everbloom: Taking longer to mature, this plant has greater stored reserves, and can manifest it’s abilities continuously, re-activating every time it’s duration is over.
At the end of a plants effective duration it blooms again, this lasts for 12 hours. The plant takes an additional 2 days to mature. +2 level

Set 5

Longevity: Extra time taken means hardier growth.
Plants maturation time doubles, but it stays healthy for 10 times it’s maturation time. +1 level

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 11:43 AM
Before, I get into balance, some housekeeping mechanical stuff:

Making seeds: an Arborealist can make up to 20 seeds a day. They are made by taking a base, these indicate what the plant will do, and then applying any mods they want to. To craft a seed requires a skill check DC 10+highest level plant+1 for every 2 plants.

This needs rewording for clarity.

Seed Formation: To make a plant seed, begin by choosing one item listed below in Table: Base Seeds. You may create an unaltered seed, or you can modify it by choosing one or more of the abilities listed below in Table: Seed Modifiers. Crafting a seed requires a ____* check with a DC equal to 10+ ________**. You can craft up to 20 seeds per day.

* You didn't mention what type of skill.
** So do you make these seeds all at once? How long does it take to make a single seed? Are retries allowed?

Planting seeds: Planting a seed requires soil or earth with at least 8 hours of sunlight a day. Once planted plants take care of themselves. An arborealist can plant 2 seeds every half hour. At level 5 he can plant 4, and can plant an additional 2 with every new level of base he acquires, maxing at 10.

They take days to grow. How many he can drop in a half hour isn't really an issue. Just say planting a seed takes X amount of time. (I suggest ten minutes, maybe a minute.)

If a plant is not allowed to bloom for 3 times it’s maturation period or 5 days, whichever is longer, it will lose it’s power and wither.

I'd drop the "or 5 days" bit.

So how are you supposed to use these seeds in combat if they wither when taken out? Do you... lure enemies to your garden? How fast do they wither after taken out? What's the action requirement to use a plant?

Saving throws for plant abilities are 10+plant levelX2-1+int modifier

Is your formula supposed to be 10+2(Plant Level-1)+Int or 10+2(Plant Level)-1+Int? If the latter, why not just say 9+2(Plant Level)+Int?

EDIT: Random suggestions: The Gardener, Drisomancer, Ecomancer, Dendritomancer, Greenwalker.

talse
2008-08-14, 11:57 AM
Seed Formation: To make a plant seed, begin by choosing one item listed below in Table: Base Seeds. You may create an unaltered seed, or you can modify it by choosing one or more of the abilities listed below in Table: Seed Modifiers. Crafting a seed requires a ____* check with a DC equal to 10+ ________**. You can craft up to 20 seeds per day.

That is a lot better, implemented.

They take days to grow. How many he can drop in a half hour isn't really an issue. Just say planting a seed takes X amount of time. (I suggest ten minutes, maybe a minute.)

I'd drop the "or 5 days" bit.

I feel like if there isn't some restraint then when he can apply the fast growing mod (at level 3) it'll be trivial to just run around filling a battle field with plants.

So how are you supposed to use these seeds in combat if they wither when taken out? Do you... lure enemies to your garden? How fast do they wither after taken out? What's the action requirement to use a plant?

Well, there's the fruit mod, makes a plant release it's power around a portable piece of fruit when it blooms, as opposed to the plant itself.
And I forgot to put down action, i think a full round action's appropriate.

Is your formula supposed to be 10+2(Plant Level-1)+Int or 10+2(Plant Level)-1+Int? If the latter, why not just say 9+2(Plant Level)+Int?

EDIT: Random suggestions: The Gardener, Drisomancer, Ecomancer, Dendritomancer, Greenwalker.
Done. Also, ecomancer does sound good...

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 12:02 PM
I feel like if there isn't some restraint then when he can apply the fast growing mod (at level 3) it'll be trivial to just run around filling a battle field with plants.

Missed that mod.

I understand that, but on a quick glance, none of your seeds are that powerful (though I may have missed something) and are largely the sort of thing that isn't actually going to help you when it finishes growing in a few days. So you have a balance issue right there, your class is largely useless in a combat until it can use level 3 mods, and even so it's highly restricted in what it's allowed to do.

You should probably specify exactly how the fruit works. When you throw it, does it instantly spring up with the thrown fruit as the point of origin? What's its range/increments? Or does it start from your hand?

talse
2008-08-14, 12:06 PM
The reason for the abilities weakness is that the arborealist has great potential to make up for that on quantity. I mean, if each plant were just as powerful as the same level spell for a wizard, then he would be able to keep it up for much longer potentially, and should he have a few days warning he could make a city unassailable.

One problem is I'm not very creative, and was hoping some people might have suggestions on fleshing out the skill tree.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 12:28 PM
Having the plants wither faster for the most part would fix that. Some of your plant abilities are very obviously meant to be fast blooming, for example:

When this plant blooms the arborealist can see and hear as though they were there for the following 5 minutes.

In fact, I would go the entire opposite route as you have - the hybridization inherent to the class has made lots of extremely short-lived, fast-blooming plants, with your special seeds that have a long maturation and duration being the exception. The reverse method makes an excellent base defender NPC (as you point out) but it's hard to balance for adventuring.

talse
2008-08-14, 12:33 PM
hmmm, seeds taking a long time to "cure" as it were. could work. but then i couldn't have the transfer plant bloom, which triggers, like, a dozen conditioned plant laser dudes to fire on it, flooding a room with photon related death.

If the plants are the fast growing variety, then conditioning, fruit, activation, heck, near half the mods get thrown out the window.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 12:40 PM
hmmm, seeds taking a long time to "cure" as it were. could work. but then i couldn't have the transfer plant bloom, which triggers, like, a dozen conditioned plant laser dudes to fire on it, flooding a room with photon related death.

If the plants are the fast growing variety, then conditioning, fruit, activation, heck, near half the mods get thrown out the window.

As they are, yes, though from a conceptual standpoint, stuff like the fruit can stay around as a way to projectile launch seeds.

Take all I'm saying with a grain of salt, of course. I have a habit of reinventing things, and this isn't my class, it's yours. I'm sure someone else has some good ideas to help. :smallsmile: