PDA

View Full Version : "Slayer" weapon enhancement opinions please (3.0)

Occasional Sage
2008-08-14, 11:46 AM
I found the Slayer feature (Magic of Rokugan, 64), and while it's very, very sexy I'm not sure how *useful* it is. Does anybody have experience with it, or have an idea of how many Sneak Attack dice you'd want to have to make it worth the very high equivalent bonus? Is it, in your opinion, balanced in 3.5 as written?

Adumbration
2008-08-14, 12:48 PM
Could you describe it, even if vaguely? I don't think very great many people have that book.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-14, 01:13 PM
It's a +5 enhancement which doubles your Sneak Attack dice. It's not valid for bludgeoning weapons.

Spiryt
2008-08-14, 01:19 PM
It's a +5 enhancement which doubles your Sneak Attack dice. It's not valid for bludgeoning weapons.

For my understaning it's very cheesy, certainly worth + 5. Two such weapons + TWF :smalleek: Even though the cost of it would be severe, the results would be bloody.

I don't know why no love for bludgeonings though. The morningstar that whenever there is opportunity for clean strike, bludgeons ribs without mercy, for example.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-14, 02:01 PM
For my understaning it's very cheesy, certainly worth + 5. Two such weapons + TWF :smalleek: Even though the cost of it would be severe, the results would be bloody.

I don't know why no love for bludgeonings though. The morningstar that whenever there is opportunity for clean strike, bludgeons ribs without mercy, for example.

Ooo, TWF, yeah.

So if you were in the market for such a weapon, how many Sneak Attack dice would you want to have? A +5 effect is a steep price; without really doing, y'know, math, and without comparing the other options, I'd ballpark four or five dice before this is a reasonable investment.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-14, 02:43 PM
Well a Flaming, Frost, Shocking, Collision weapon does +3d6+5 for the same bonus.

So anything over 5 dice makes it better. But give it to a factotum and it could add an extra 80 or so dice.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-14, 02:46 PM
Well a Flaming, Frost, Shocking, Collision weapon does +3d6+5 for the same bonus.

So anything over 5 dice makes it better. But give it to a factotum and it could add an extra 80 or so dice.

With the added benefit of getting its damage from multiple sources, making it harder to nullify. That's worth something, too.

Hey, good idea. We should get Factotum in here.

Chronos
2008-08-14, 04:01 PM
Of course, by the time you can afford +5 equivalent weapon enchantments, if you have any sneak attack at all, you almost certainly have more than 5d6. Even without Factotum, you can stack one level each of (say) rogue, psychic rogue, spellthief, sneak attack fighter, ninja, and assassin, for 6d6 at level 6, and then somewhere along the line (I can't remember the level) pick up Assassin's Stance from a feat for an extra 2d6.

Aquillion
2008-08-14, 04:07 PM
Wait, Ninja? Does Sudden Strike count as Sneak Attack for everything? I can't recall. (And at the very least, it's more limited than Sneak Attack, so one/two of your dice would be, too.)

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-14, 04:51 PM
For a level 19 Rogue it deals an extra 10d6, or an average of 35 points, of damage. For level 20 take Swordsage and Assassins stance to add in another 2d6 of extra damage.

So basically, Slayer can certainly be worth it.