PDA

View Full Version : quick question about Fighter/Rogues

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-14, 12:35 PM
Is there any thing against raw that says you can't take 2 levels of fighter and 2 levels of the Rogue variant that allows you fighter feats...

Seems like an easy way to get 6 feats at lvl 4?

And or do you think any reasonable gm would allow it?

Occasional Sage
2008-08-14, 12:40 PM
Is there any thing against raw that says you can't take 2 levels of fighter and 2 levels of the Rogue variant that allows you fighter feats...

Seems like an easy way to get 6 feats at lvl 4?

And or do you think any reasonable gm would allow it?

What Rogue variant is that?

I'm not sure why this would be a *conceptual* problem, although I can't speak for RAW; a standard F4 would have five feats anyway, or six as a human. The trade-off would be in HP and BAB (likely, although again I don't know the varient). I can't see why it would be an issue.

kamikasei
2008-08-14, 12:43 PM
I assume you mean this rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue); and no, I know of nothing preventing you from stacking them. I might well allow it, and I consider myself reasonable.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-14, 12:43 PM

I'm not sure why this would be a *conceptual* problem, although I can't speak for RAW; a standard F4 would have five feats anyway, or six as a human. The trade-off would be in HP and BAB (likely, although again I don't know the varient). I can't see why it would be an issue.

Unearthed Arcana...

or d20 srd
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 12:44 PM

Variant's from UA, d20 SRD has it.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue

I wouldn't allow it, personally speaking; those levels of rogue would be treated as though you'd picked up additional levels of Fighter, so you'd get the bonus feats you would have gotten if you'd stuck in the class. But by RAW, no, there is nothing preventing it.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-14, 12:53 PM
Oh yes, all I was thinking of was the Wilderness Rogue, which didn't fit. Thanks all! No, there's nothing in RAW to prevent that.

I wouldn't allow it, personally speaking; those levels of rogue would be treated as though you'd picked up additional levels of Fighter, so you'd get the bonus feats you would have gotten if you'd stuck in the class. But by RAW, no, there is nothing preventing it.

I think you're misreading; "Gain: Bonus feats (as fighter)" means that this Rogue variant gets a bonus fighter feat at 1st, 2nd, 4th, et cetera levels, just as a fighter. It doesn't mean for you to count these as additional fighter levels.

OP, I'd say that you're better off not doing this. You'd not only be dropping HP and BAB to do this, you also lose the Sneak Attack ability. It's not a big deal at level two, but if you plan to progress it's not (IMO) worth it. I'd suggest the standard class, personally. Not that you asked.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 12:55 PM
I think you're misreading; "Gain: Bonus feats (as fighter)" means that this Rogue variant gets a bonus fighter feat at 1st, 2nd, 4th, et cetera levels, just as a fighter. It doesn't mean for you to count these as additional fighter levels.

...I'm not misreading. I'm aware that goes against RAW. I'm just saying that's what I'd do instead, since it's the exact same feat progression and 4 levels of Rogue > 4 levels of Fighter if feats and sneak attack are taken out of the mix. (Though I do not intend for it to count as fighter levels for the purposes of qualifying for fighter feats.)

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-14, 12:56 PM
i was just thinking of some diffrent archery builds and every time i try to make one it seem i run out of feats.. and i don't mind taking the 1 hit to bab..
the hp is a bigger issue but to me is worth it for the skills.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 12:57 PM
i was just thinking of some diffrent archery builds and every time i try to make one it seem i run out of feats.. and i don't mind taking the 1 hit to bab..
the hp is a bigger issue but to me is worth it for the skills.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying that's so feat-intensive? I have limited experience with non-Falling Star archery, but seems to me it's best to focus on either Manyshot or Rapid Shot feat trees, not both.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-14, 12:58 PM
...I'm not misreading. I'm aware that goes against RAW. I'm just saying that's what I'd do instead, since it's the exact same feat progression and 4 levels of Rogue > 4 levels of Fighter if feats and sneak attack are taken out of the mix. (Though I do not intend for it to count as fighter levels for the purposes of qualifying for fighter feats.)

Ah, I see. Sorry about that!

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-14, 01:16 PM
Out of curiosity, what are you trying that's so feat-intensive? I have limited experience with non-Falling Star archery, but seems to me it's best to focus on either Manyshot or Rapid Shot feat trees, not both.

just thinking in my head... its for a low level game.. like around 4-6ish..

but then i relised (after looking at feets) that alot of them require babs of a certian level and that screws the idea...well thank you guys..

Chronos
2008-08-14, 04:50 PM
While we're at it, though, I'll just mention that Psychic Warriors also get bonus feats at 1st and 2nd levels, and every few levels after that (though not as many as fighters). And their feat options are a little more open, too: They can choose any fighter feat, or any psionic feat.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 05:26 PM
just thinking in my head... its for a low level game.. like around 4-6ish..

but then i relised (after looking at feets) that alot of them require babs of a certian level and that screws the idea...well thank you guys..

For a low level game, definitely focus on only Rapid Shot or Manyshot. (Working solely from memory, I'd say Rapid Shot is the better idea for the most part, because Manyshot has very painful penalties at low levels.)

Eldariel
2008-08-14, 05:30 PM
For one, it's not available before BAB +6.

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 05:35 PM
For one, it's not available before BAB +6.

Precizzly. Now that is a hell of a penalty.

/saveface