PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Fanfiction

twerk_face
2008-08-14, 02:02 PM
Hi, i was just wondering, is anybody here into harry potter fanfiction? cuz i generally don't like it, being obsesively loyal to the books, but i was wondering recently if there existed fanfiction set in the harry potter world, but not with the characters, and preferably not at hogwarts? like in another wizarding school, or just in another country, just nothing to do with the real characters, other than maybe a mention of voldemort in passing or something.

anybody know of any?

RabbitHoleLost
2008-08-14, 02:09 PM
I've read a few decent ones on fanfiction.net...
If you'd like, I could probably compile you a few.

hamishspence
2008-08-14, 02:09 PM
Never read it. Be warned, if you go looking you may not like what you see. Snape fanfic is probably worst culprit. Was mentioned in book: Mapping the World of Harry Potter, and I figured "I Have Been Warned" so didn't look.

Linkavitch
2008-08-14, 02:14 PM
Harry Potter fanfic is EVIL!

chiasaur11
2008-08-14, 02:18 PM
Harry Potter fanfic is EVIL!

The man speaks truth.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-08-14, 02:19 PM
You guys haven't seemed to have read what the OP asked for.
Original character fiction, which rarely includes creepy pairings involving Snape or any other actual character.

kamikasei
2008-08-14, 02:20 PM
I've been amused by some (e.g. "The Naked Quidditch Match"). But yeah, I've never thought it wise to go looking for more good among the eye-burning "HagridxPigwidgeon [nc]" stuff.

twerk_face
2008-08-14, 02:24 PM
I've been amused by some (e.g. "The Naked Quidditch Match"). But yeah, I've never thought it wise to go looking for more good among the eye-burning "HagridxPigwidgeon [nc]" stuff.

i've read that, one of the only ones i've ever read, just because it's incredibly toungue in cheek and hilarious, not taking itself seriously at all. ( the naked quidditch match that is) but yes rabbitholelost, that would be excelent. especially ones that take place outside of hogwarts.

Rogue 7
2008-08-14, 02:27 PM
I've never bothered really trawling the archives much (you find way too many bad ones for each good one you find to make it worthwhile- Naruto fanfiction taught me that), so mainly I'll read the ones recommended by TV Tropes' Fanfic recommendation page.

For OC-stuff, the only one I've read is S'Tark'an's...god, I forget what it's called. The man's a fantastic writer, but this one ends about a quarter of the way through. I'm sure it's out there, but you'll have to look hard. I recommend brainbleach.

Saying that, if you haven't already, you need to read Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4315906/1/Dumbledores_Army_and_the_Year_of_Darkness). And I do mean need to. It's the best fan fiction I've ever read, period. It's the Neville-centric tale of what happens to Hogwarts while Harry's off camping in book 7. And it's amazing.

In general, if you're looking for the stuff, check out TV Trope's recommendations (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanFicRecommendations). If it's up there, it'll be competently-written and at least sane, if not really good- and a lot of the stuff on there is fantastic.

Jayngfet
2008-08-14, 02:45 PM
What you're asking for is much rarer and a breeding ground for mary sues.

Leigh
2008-08-15, 05:58 AM
Aw, sad...
I'm actually a giant fan of HP fanfiction. :smallredface:
The ones on fanfiction.net tend to be slightly...unusual, yes. But I go to mugglenet.com [I bow down to that site] all the time and I've practically memorized some of the stories on there. Heh.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-15, 06:17 AM
I've read My Immortal. I recommend it to everyone.

Prustan
2008-08-15, 06:37 AM
There's an interesting one called 'Harry Potter and the Girl who Lived' on FanFiction.net. Unfortunately, it's not finished, and Harry's female counterpart Rose starts getting too powerful too quickly, but the author has promised to rewrite it.
Reading 'Dumbledore's Army' now. Good stuff.

13_CBS
2008-08-15, 06:58 AM
Harry Potter fanfiction is...an interesting thing.

For the most part, fanfiction that are more than 50,000 words long on fanfiction.net tend to be of high quality. Not so with Harry Potter fanfiction. Too many of them seem to be more concerned with setting up favorite characters with other favorite characters in romantic settings, while potential romantic rivals are dealt with rather harshly.

Not exactly my cup of tea. :smallannoyed:

Green Bean
2008-08-15, 06:59 AM
I've read My Immortal. I recommend it to everyone.

You shouldn't be messing with fandom newbies. It's mean. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2008-08-15, 07:05 AM
Never read online fanfic. However, In said Mercedes Lackey compilation, along with discussions of philosophy, and "harry potter drinking game" refering to repetitiveness, was a alternate outline of what that particular writer thought would happen: basically that Harry would die, but Hermione would lead the resistance, and eventually go back in time and deal with Voldemort.

More Plot outline than fanfic though.

(I liked drinking game reference to overused phrase "Harry felt a small jerk behind his navel" "We would like to know who this small jerk is and what he is doing behind Harry's navel")

chiasaur11
2008-08-15, 09:55 AM
You shouldn't be messing with fandom newbies. It's mean. :smallwink:

It teaches them paranoia and fear. Valuable skills for anyone.