PDA

View Full Version : "Good day, you've already met me, but allow me to introduce you to me." [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-14, 04:48 PM
Fragmented Mind
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/Mindbender-1.jpg
Tessla the Venal, fragmenting his mind into an Ogre.

The minds of some are weak, and to most this is an obstacle for one to overcome on their own. Fragmented minds believe these weak psyches are meant for nothing than exploitation and theft. Fragmented minds are psions who are adept at not only stealing psychic power, but imposing their own mind on their weak-minded victims. Many fragmented psyche's are hunted down once figured out their less-than-beneficial use of others bodies, but many of the most powerful fragmented minds allow one body to be found so the other may escape and continue to spread themself.

HD: d6

Requirements
Alignment: Any nongood
Skills: Concentration 10 ranks, Psicraft 10 ranks
Feats: Strong Mind (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Strong_Mind,all), Twin Power
Manifesting: Must have access to 4th level telepathy powers, including mindlink, psionic suggestion and psionic dominate.
Special: Must have examined a real humanoid brain with your own hands and senses.

Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Psicraft and Sense Motive
Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special Abilities|Psionics
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Fragment psyche, telepathy|--
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Telepath +1|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Bonus feat|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Mindthief|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Split personas|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Telepath +2|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Mettle, mindseed|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Bonus feat|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Greater mindthief|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|True split personas|+1 of existing psionic manifesting class
[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Fragmented minds receive no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Manifesting: At every level but first, a fragmented mind gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of fragmented mind to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a fragmented mind, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of fragmented mind for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Fragment Psyche (Ps): At first level, you gain the ability to remove a small piece of your own mind and implant it into the mind of another, allowing your own to take over the weaker psyche. By taking a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, you can impose your psyche fragment into any foe within the range of your telepathy(see below), so long as they have hit dice less than or equal to yours. Using this ability requires the expenditure of as many power points equal to 3+the HD of the victim(minimum 4), and they are allowed a Will save (DC 10+Half your manifester level, rounded down+Cha or Int modifier). If they fail, they become a mental clone of you in their own body.
The victim is treated as being under the effects of the mind switch power, except you now possess your own body and the body of the victim simultaneously and their mind is kept in their body and is simply suppressed, though you do not share a mental link, and the victim is effectively a different mind. You may both manifest powers, though you share the same powers known and draw from your own power point reserve. The victim is only allowed a single standard action or any action that takes less effort than that(move, swift, free) and takes 1 point of Wisdom burn every time he manifests one of your powers that has a cost of 5 power points or more. If they take enough Wisdom burn to bring them down to 0, they are freed of your fragment psyche. You may, as a standard action, remove the effect and absorb the psyche from them and back into yourself, letting you see their memories but not gaining the XP or otherwise. Dying frees the victim of your stranglehold on his psyche, be it your death or theirs.
Having the victims hp increase beyond yours does not free them of your fragment, but anything that dispel or diminish a telepathy power does. This ability is usable at will, and has a duration of 24 hours. These mental clones are incapable of using your fragmented psyche class feature. This is a mind-affecting telepathy power. You are only allowed to have one victim with a fragment of your psyche at a time. This number increases to 2 fragments at 5th level, and 4 at 10th level.

Telepathy (Su): At first level you learn the basics of spreading your mind to others. You gain telepathy out to 100 feet and can communicate with any creature that shares a language with you.

Telepath (Ex): At 2nd level, you are more adept at influencing others through telepathic powers. Any discipline telepathy power you manifest have a +1 to the DC to resist it. At 6th level, this bonus increases to +2.

Bonus Feats: A fragmented mind gains a bonus feat at 3rd and 8th levels. This feat must be a psionic feat, a metapsionic feat, or a psionic item creation feat.

Mindthief (Su): At 4th level, you are capable of reaching back into minds that have tried to reach into yours, returning with a bit of their psionic power. If someone uses a telepathy power against you and you pass your save DC against it, you steal from them as many power points equal to the level of the power used on you. You cannot steal a higher number of power points than your manifester level.

Split Personas (Ex): At 5th level, you are capable of empowering your own ability to split your mind into multiple bodies. Select a single victim which you've already turned into a mental clone with your fragment psyche class feature. This creature no longer is restricted to only standard actions or less, the number of power points it takes to cause Wisdom burn for them increases to 9, the duration of your ability on them increases to permanent and they are allowed to create more mental clones, but the two of you cannot have more than the normal amount of mental clones that you could have alone. Additionally, if you die, your mind transfers to the new body for 24 hours. If you are able to receive a raise dead or resurrection spell within these 24 hours, you do not lose a level for being raised or resurrected.

Mettle (Ex): At 7th level and above, a fragmented mind can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If they make a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping fragmented mind does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Mindseed (Sp): At 7th level, you are capable of using the effects of your power to a slightly greater degree, but over a much longer time. Once per day you can use mindseed as a psi-like ability with a manifester level equal to your own(maximum 20th). This ability does not have an XP cost.

Greater Mindthief (Su): At 9th level, your ability to steal psionic power increases. This functions just as the mindthief class feature, except the number of power points you can steal is equal to the number of power points it took to manifest the power(with the same restriction on power points equal to your manifester level. This overlaps and replaced the mindthief class feature.

True Split Personas (Ex): At 10th level, you are capable of making a perfect clone of your mind in the body of another. Select a single victim that you have used the fragmented psyche and split personas class features on. This creature is now treated as being under the effects of the true mind switch, permanently suppressing the mind of the victim and mentally recreating your psyche in them. They no longer take Wisdom burn for manifesting your powers and are as before, not restricted to standard actions or less. If you die, your mind is transferred into the new body and if you are raised or resurrected at any point where your second persona is still alive, you do not take level loss.
Additionally, be concentrating, either persona is capable of perceiving through the senses of the other as if they were their own, though they have no control over the other. This mental link does not work from other planes.

Robert Frost
2008-08-14, 05:47 PM
What would prevent you from inserting your pscyhe into the enemy and then having them, say, stand helpless as you coup de grace them?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-14, 05:50 PM
What would prevent you from inserting your pscyhe into the enemy and then having them, say, stand helpless as you coup de grace them?

Because a duplicate is better than a corpse?

Robert Frost
2008-08-14, 05:57 PM
I was asking...

Lets say the party comes across a group of 15 monsters. You mind control one, force it to kill it's friends, then slit it's own throat.

Weezer
2008-08-14, 06:04 PM
I was asking...

Lets say the party comes across a group of 15 monsters. You mind control one, force it to kill it's friends, then slit it's own throat.

I think because you dont have control over the monster you mind control, you put a copy of yourself in its mind, so it has all your memories, emotions and motivations, but I dont think that you would want to kill yourself even if you knew you were only a copy, or would you??

Occasional Sage
2008-08-14, 07:51 PM
There is nothing that specifically states that the mindslave can't make more mindslaves, which allows this to be spammed. Granted everything draws from the same points pool, but that needs to be tightened up a bit.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-14, 08:00 PM
There is nothing that specifically states that the mindslave can't make more mindslaves, which allows this to be spammed. Granted everything draws from the same points pool, but that needs to be tightened up a bit.

Ah I hadn't thought of that. I'll tighten that, thanks.

arguskos
2008-08-14, 08:42 PM
Two things.

One, I love it. Very cool.

Two. Though I love the feel, I'm wondering how this works, fluff-wise. Do you control your fragments? Or are they you to the letter? Basically, I'm wondering if your fragment could resent it's existence, and attempt to attack you, or somehow weaken you so someone else could kill you, and it could take your place. Of course, I don't understand psionics, esp not the mind switch power, so I might just be completely off-base here.

-argus

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-14, 09:30 PM
Two things.

One, I love it. Very cool.

Two. Though I love the feel, I'm wondering how this works, fluff-wise. Do you control your fragments? Or are they you to the letter? Basically, I'm wondering if your fragment could resent it's existence, and attempt to attack you, or somehow weaken you so someone else could kill you, and it could take your place. Of course, I don't understand psionics, esp not the mind switch power, so I might just be completely off-base here.

-argus

They aren't under your control, they're simply weaker copies of you(with the exception of the capstone). They have all the same memories and motives as as you, but they're independent.

arguskos
2008-08-14, 09:37 PM
Ah... I see (said the blind man, who really needs to grab the XPH sometime).

-argus

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-14, 09:40 PM
Ah... I see (said the blind man, who really needs to grab the XPH sometime).

-argus

Though I agree with that sentiment, it really has little to do with the mechanics of psionics. It's just a feature of the class itself.

arguskos
2008-08-14, 09:42 PM
Though that is true, this implies I could answer my own questions if I had the XPH:

The victim is treated as being under the effects of the mind switch power
Anyhoo, I'm done being a nuisance. Thanks for humoring my sillyness. :smallsmile:

-argus

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-14, 09:46 PM
Though that is true, this implies I could answer my own questions if I had the XPH:

Anyhoo, I'm done being a nuisance. Thanks for humoring my sillyness. :smallsmile:

-argus

Ah I see, that's a whole new thing altogether. The mind switch power just removes you from yourself and into a whole new body, this one maintains both.

JoshuaZ
2008-08-14, 10:17 PM
If I had any levels in this class all my copies would be too busy having existential crises about their nature to get anything done. Of course, that was true for all those copies I made with Mind Seed. They never helped me at all. Complete waste of an 8th level power.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-08-15, 07:16 AM
If I had any levels in this class all my copies would be too busy having existential crises about their nature to get anything done. Of course, that was true for all those copies I made with Mind Seed. They never helped me at all. Complete waste of an 8th level power.

:smallsigh:

How would that be? They're you now. Unless you have continual existential crisis, I don't the problem here. (Especially once you Mindseed them)

JoshuaZ
2008-08-15, 11:09 AM
:smallsigh:

How would that be? They're you now. Unless you have continual existential crisis, I don't the problem here. (Especially once you Mindseed them)

Well, but what is the real me then? And do my memories dictate who I am or is something else? These powers raise all sorts of thorny issues.

Anyways, I suppose I should say something productive about the class so I'll just comment that I'm not sure it needs to lose a manifester level at 10th level.

Also, the Telepath descriptor needs clarification if this is anything from the Telepath discipline list or the any power with from the Telepathy discipline (I think it is meant to the second but clarification would be good).

Stycotl
2008-08-15, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure it needs to lose a manifester level at 10th level.
seconded.

They aren't under your control, they're simply weaker copies of you(with the exception of the capstone). They have all the same memories and motives as as you, but they're independent.

independent of you (pc), but controlled by you (player), and not the dm, right? i gotta make sure i'm reading you here correctly, because the mindswitch description pretty much makes it a dominate other power, if they are not also controlling your body.

mindthief and greater mindthief: is the amount stolen calculated before or after metapsionic level adjustment?

i hate that the fragmentation is based on hit points. that doesn't make sense to me on nearly any level. i'd use hit dice, or wisdom score, or wisdom modifier, or something. also, is that normal (total) hit points, or current? so could you and your party nearly kill a great wyrm with 600 hit points, and then you fragment your mind into it, and then your party cleric heal it back to full hit points?

ok, that said, this is one of the coolest in a long line of cool classes, krimm. i love psionics, i love telepaths, and i love this idea. very nice. this has immediate build potential for one of the characters i have been working on forever. standing ovation.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-15, 03:53 PM
independent of you (pc), but controlled by you (player), and not the dm, right? i gotta make sure i'm reading you here correctly, because the mindswitch description pretty much makes it a dominate other power, if they are not also controlling your body.

Controlled by the PC, yes. Some DM's might not agree, but the intent was for the player to have copies of the player's control, if not the character.

mindthief and greater mindthief: is the amount stolen calculated before or after metapsionic level adjustment?

After, the restriction I put on it was just manifester level.

i hate that the fragmentation is based on hit points. that doesn't make sense to me on nearly any level. i'd use hit dice, or wisdom score, or wisdom modifier, or something. also, is that normal (total) hit points, or current? so could you and your party nearly kill a great wyrm with 600 hit points, and then you fragment your mind into it, and then your party cleric heal it back to full hit points?

I was thinking about the power word spells, but those don't really have much to do with this. I'll alter that to HD.

ok, that said, this is one of the coolest in a long line of cool classes, krimm. i love psionics, i love telepaths, and i love this idea. very nice. this has immediate build potential for one of the characters i have been working on forever. standing ovation.

:biggrin:

wadledo
2008-08-15, 04:52 PM
Mindbender needed a Psionic version.
The statement still stands.