PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) VII [D&D 3.5e and all other games]

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Kredine
2008-09-02, 12:32 PM
I am not sure what you mean by weapon properties?
If you mean proficiency then it is retained whether from class or race, since class features are always kept and the errata is based on alternate form, which does not change the type.

I meen like. Flaming. Frost, etc, is there anyway to have th properties on a weapon apply to natural attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-02, 12:58 PM
A. 108 Continued

I meen like. Flaming. Frost, etc, is there anyway to have th properties on a weapon apply to natural attack.

You need a special magic item (or class) for that such as the Necklace of Natural Weapons found on page 58 of Savage Species.

monty
2008-09-02, 01:39 PM
Q 114a

I thought I once saw some ability or feat that gives undead their Cha bonus to HP like a living creature gets Con. Is there actually such a thing, and if so, where is it?

114b

Would an undead with the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat get their Int bonus to HP, since they don't normally get Con?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-02, 02:09 PM
A. 114a

There are a few monsters in Libris Mortis and MM 3 with that ability, but no feat to my knowledge.

On a side note, Improved Toughness grants hp based on HD and is avaiable to Undead also.

A. 114b

It is not that they do not get con to hp, but that they lack a con score to modify hp, so yes, they could benefit from the feat. (But it is a bit strange for most Undeads)

rickvoid
2008-09-02, 02:59 PM
Q. 109, Continued.

Okay, I get that for regular wands, but what about the eternal variety? They can be used twice per day, and never run out. I can't imagine the cost would be for merely 50 castings.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-02, 03:06 PM
A 109, continued

The Magic Item Compendium does not, IIRC, provide a formula for creating custom eternal wands. It merely lists costs for particular levels of spells without expensive material components. Thus there is no RAW answer to your question unless some later source has provided it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-02, 03:13 PM
A. 109 Rather

I would rather say that the RAW answer is that any wand, regardless of material components, follows the rules laid out in the table on page 159 of the MIC.

rickvoid
2008-09-02, 03:18 PM
A. 109 Rather

I would rather say that the RAW answer is that any wand, regardless of material components, follows the rules laid out in the table on page 159 of the MIC.

So an Eternal Wand of Identify is only 820 gold and uses no material components when cast. Sweet. Yet another must-have dungeon crawling item. :smallbiggrin:

Bayar
2008-09-02, 05:12 PM
Can you attack another thing while you are swimming? More precisely, can you throw a harpoon from water while swimming to a person on shore ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-02, 11:48 PM
A. 110

Can you attack another thing while you are swimming? More precisely, can you throw a harpoon from water while swimming to a person on shore ?

Only if you are at the surface, but the attack is not made during your move, it is made as a standard action or full round action.
Without a swim speed you would have to make your swim check to prevent you from sinking each round.

Ranged Attacks Underwater: Thrown weapons are ineffective underwater, even when launched from land. Attacks with other ranged weapons take a –2 penalty on attack rolls for every 5 feet of water they pass through, in addition to the normal penalties for range.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-03, 10:56 PM
Q115

If you somehow make a vampire afraid of bats, and he transforms into a swarm, will the swarm scatter and kill the vampire?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-03, 11:45 PM
A. 115

I am not sure this is covered by RAW, at all.

loopy
2008-09-04, 09:00 AM
Q. 116

What is that armour that is good for arcane casters? Twilight Mithril something? And where can it be found. Cheers. :smallsmile:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-04, 09:55 AM
Q. 116

What is that armour that is good for arcane casters? Twilight Mithril something? And where can it be found. Cheers. :smallsmile:

A. 116

Twilight mithral chain shirt. The twilight property is in Player's Handbook 2 and in the Book of Exalted Deeds, I believe. And, no doubt, in the Magic Item Compendium.

monty
2008-09-04, 10:38 AM
A. 116

Twilight mithral chain shirt. The twilight property is in Player's Handbook 2 and in the Book of Exalted Deeds, I believe. And, no doubt, in the Magic Item Compendium.

More specifically, mithral reduces ASF by 10% (and some other stuff) as a special material, and twilight IIRC takes another 10% for a +1 enchantment, which negates the 20% from a chain shirt.

ocato
2008-09-04, 10:56 AM
Q 117

If a reserve feat grants a bonus to someone based on the highest healing spell they have ready to cast, does the Cleric's spontaneous casting ability count towards having a healing spell ready to cast or must it be specifically prepared to grant the bonus?

jcsw
2008-09-04, 12:02 PM
Q118

Can I convert a move action into a swift action like I can convert a standard into a move?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-04, 12:21 PM
A. 117

No, it just needs to be available to cast, not necessarily prepared if "spontaneous access" is possible.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-04, 12:22 PM
A. 118

No, I am afraid you only have one available each round (subject to other limitations of course).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-04, 02:20 PM
Q. 119 The Spell Compendium spell "Summon Elysian Thrush" doubles the "normal natural healing rate." How does that interact with Fast Healing, and would it therefore double the benefit of Vigor, Lesser?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-04, 02:42 PM
A. 119

Fast Healing is just like natural healing unless otherwise noted and thus would benefit from things that affect natural healing.

FAST HEALING

... Except for what is noted here, fast healing is like natural healing.

monty
2008-09-04, 11:12 PM
Q 120

Does the Alternative Source Spell feat qualify you for prestige classes? For example, would a Wizard 1/Cleric 5 with the feat qualify for a class requiring the ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells? Going by a literal interpretation, I'd say that yes, you can cast arcane spells of that level (that is, even though it uses a cleric spell slot, it's still an arcane spell), so you qualify, but I still have doubts about it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-04, 11:42 PM
A. 120

Yes.

Greyen
2008-09-05, 05:35 AM
Q121 Ok this may have been asked before but my search-the-forum-fu is weak today.

Using the feats Improved Trip, Combat reflexes, and Hold the Line, can a character using a reach weapon trip a charging opponent as an AoO? I think it can but I am at work and no where near my books or access to any other sites to do further research.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-05, 07:03 AM
A 121 Yes.

Frosty
2008-09-05, 03:50 PM
Q 122: If I have a spell resistance and my ally tries to cast a healing spell on me, does my ally have to succeed on a caster level check/do I have to a take a standard action to lower my SR? OR can I just selectively let spells through without lowering my SR?

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 04:10 PM
A 122

You have to take a Standard Action to lower your SR for 1 round. You can't selectively let spells through.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-05, 04:13 PM
A. 122

Yes, I am afraid so.
If the spell header says that spell resistance applies to the spell it always applies when others are trying to cast on you (even if the spell is harmless to you) and you would have to actively lower it.

A creature with spell resistance must voluntarily lower the resistance (a standard action) in order to be affected by a spell noted as harmless.

AmberVael
2008-09-05, 04:28 PM
Q. 123

In DnD 3.5, do the temporary hit points from the Energy Drain ability stack with themselves?
Such as: if a creature hits someone, dealing 1 negative level (and gaining five temp. HP), and then hits someone again, dealing 2 negative levels (and thus gaining 10 temp. HP), does this creature now have 10 or 15 temp HP?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-05, 04:37 PM
A. 123

Temporary HP from the same source (such as your Energy Drain) do not stack, they overlap.
Temporary HP from different sources stack and uses the FIFO method and are thus tracked separately.

The FAQ explains this in greater detail (aka using more words).

Do temporary hit points from two applications of the
same effect stack? What about from different effects? If I
have temporary hit points from multiple sources, how
should I apply damage?
Temporary hit points from two applications of the same
effect don’t stack; instead, the highest number of temporary hit
points applies in place of all others. Temporary hit points from
different sources stack, but you must keep track of them
separately.
For example, imagine a character who gained 15 temporary
hit points from an aid spell. After taking 8 points of damage,
she has 7 temporary hit points left from the spell. If another aid
spell were cast on the same character granting 12 temporary hit
points, this total would replace the other spell’s total, meaning
the character would now have 12 temporary hit points (rather
than 19). If the character then cast false life on herself, she
would add the full benefit of that spell to the temporary hit
points from the aid spell.
This also applies to temporary hit points gained from
energy drain and similar special abilities. Each successful
attack counts as one application of the effect (meaning that an
attack that bestows 2 or more negative levels still counts as
only one application of the effect). For example, a wight gains
5 temporary hit points each time it bestows a negative level
with its slam attack. If it bestows another negative level while it
has 2 temporary hit points remaining from the first attack, the
new temporary hit points would replace the old ones.
Temporary hit points are “first-in, first-out.” Damage
should be taken off the oldest temporary-hit-point-granting
effect first; when that effect is exhausted, apply damage to the
next oldest effect. For this reason, you must track each supply
of temporary hit points separately.

Lochar
2008-09-05, 04:43 PM
Q. 124

If as a wizard with a 10-12 Con, I polymorph(the specific spell here) into a troll, do I gain bonus HP from now having a 23 Con?

The bone of contention is this phrase.

Polymorphed creatures gain the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution of their new forms, as well as size, extraordinary special attacks, movement capabilities (to a maximum of 120 feet for flying and 60 for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons, racial skill bonuses, and other gross physical qualities such as appearance and number of limbs. They retain their original class and level, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, hit points, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and alignment.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-05, 04:58 PM
A 124

The general rule is that your hit points are adjusted by your Constitution modifier. However, the specific statement in the Polymorph spell description overrides this. You retain your original hit points despite any change in CON. The new CON does improve your Fortitude saves and Concentration skill checks, of course.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-05, 04:59 PM
A. 124

I am not sure where your quote is from, but HP is never addressed directly by polymorph except for the notes on healing as if having rested.

This means that new rules introduced with the PHB II about the Polymorph subschool removed the original (PHB I, pre-PHB II rules if you will) effects on HP from a constitution change leaving you with no increase from an increase in Constitution.

Lochar
2008-09-05, 05:04 PM
My quote comes from the SRD, under the Polymorph special ability, which references the polymorph spell.

Emperor Tippy
2008-09-05, 05:07 PM
A. 124

This means that new rules introduced with the PHB II about the Polymorph subschool removed the original (PHB I, pre-PHB II rules if you will) effects on HP from a constitution change leaving you with no increase from an increase in Constitution.

That is actually unclear. Whether or not your new con effects your HP is debatable but since the rules don't specifically make any statment to the effect that the con change doesn't effect your HP and all other changes to Con (no matter how temporary) do effect your HP there is more justification for the position that your HP are effected by your new Con score.

monty
2008-09-05, 05:10 PM
I thought they said in an errata that your HP do not change, even if Con does.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-05, 05:16 PM
That is actually unclear. Whether or not your new con effects your HP is debatable but since the rules don't specifically make any statment to the effect that the con change doesn't effect your HP and all other changes to Con (no matter how temporary) do effect your HP there is more justification for the position that your HP are effected by your new Con score.

It says outright "The target retains its own hit points." (PHB II, page 95). This is reiterated in the RC.

Lochar's "SRD" quote, however, did not appear in the original 3 CORE rulebooks and thus pre-PHB II the constitution change would effect your HP.

My quote comes from the SRD, under the Polymorph special ability, which references the polymorph spell.

I doubt it appears in the original SRD by WotC, but the text is probably close enough to the actual rules to be helpful. :smallsmile:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-05, 05:16 PM
I thought they said in an errata that your HP do not change, even if Con does.Only for Wildshape, where it is specifically called out. That would imply that they do change for Polymorph, but how that interacts with injury/repeated transformations is a rules nightmare.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-05, 05:24 PM
Only for Wildshape, where it is specifically called out. That would imply that they do change for Polymorph, but how that interacts with injury/repeated transformations is a rules nightmare.

You just have to track accumulated damage and HP. If your HP drops below your accumulated damage you are probably in trouble.

However, as I wrote above; the PHB II explicitly mentions HP.

Lochar
2008-09-05, 07:10 PM
We've included PHB2 in our campaign, so I'll go with that then.

Thanks!

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2008-09-05, 08:12 PM
Q 125

In Mutants and Masterminds, can a container power (such as alternate form or device) grant a feat, usable only when that power is active?

For example: a Hero who transforms into an octopus-like creature gains a number of dexterous tentacles (well-suited for grappling), and wishes to gain the grappling finesse and improved grab/improved pin feats. Is this permissible?

Demons_eye
2008-09-05, 10:24 PM
Q: 126
What are the stats and la for a dragon born?

Frosty
2008-09-06, 02:08 AM
Q. 127 Can you cast Holy Sword or Lawful Sword on a shield, since a shield is a weapon you can Shield Bash with?

Q. 128 Do weapon crystals (from the Magic Item Compemdium) function while in a weapon that has Holy or Lawful Sword cast upon the weapon?

Lyndworm
2008-09-06, 02:19 AM
Q: 126
What are the stats and la for a dragon born?

A: 126

+2 Str, -2 Dex
Humanoid (Dragonblood)
+2 Dodge bonus against monsters of the Dragon type
Immunity to Frightful Presence
Draconic Aspect (Heart (Su), Mind (Ex), or Wings (Ex))
+0 LA

However, there's quite a ritual, and it's more like a template than a race.

Zack

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-06, 04:10 AM
A. 127

Yes.

A. 128

No, all powers are rendered inoperative.

Gorbash
2008-09-06, 08:31 AM
Q 128

Are creatures with spell-like abilities subject to -4 penalty on will saves versus Feeblemind, as arcane spellcasters are?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-06, 09:07 AM
Q 129

Are creatures with spell-like abilities subject to -4 penalty on will saves versus Feeblemind, as arcane spellcasters are?A 129 Generally no.

Though a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name, it is neither arcane nor divine. The penalty applies only to arcane spells. There is a case of creature with SLAs that's different, though:
Some creatures are actually sorcerers of a sort. They cast arcane spells as sorcerers do, using components when required. In fact, an individual creature could have some spell-like abilities and also cast other spells as a sorcerer. If the creature description specifically states that they are using arcane spells as a sorcerer does, the Feeblemind penalty applies.

Gorbash
2008-09-06, 09:22 AM
So, Glabrezus aren's subject to the penalty. Thanks.

Q 130

Reverse Gravity - I'm a bit unsure how it works. In case of the said Glabrezu, his area of effect is 7 10-ft cubes. But how are they positioned? One on top of the other and then the top of the area would be 70 feet and would affect creatures in that 10 ft cube?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-06, 10:32 AM
A. 130

They are shapeable, so you can stack them in a tower like that or make some otehr shape.

(S) Shapeable: If an Area or Effect entry ends with “(S),” you can shape the spell. A shaped effect or area can have no dimension smaller than 10 feet. Many effects or areas are given as cubes to make it easy to model irregular shapes. Three-dimensional volumes are most often needed to define aerial or underwater effects and areas.

Gorbash
2008-09-06, 10:52 AM
Aww, that's too bad. I thought once you cast Reverse Gravity in an area, they fall into Space. :smallbiggrin:

RS14
2008-09-06, 11:09 PM
Q 131

Does non-magic armor worn by a manifesting ghost provide a bonus against attacks by non-ethereal opponents? Does magic armor?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-07, 01:50 AM
A. 131

Not unless it has the Ghost Touch property.

Anxe
2008-09-07, 10:56 AM
Q 101
I know that Cursts lose their spellcasting abilities upon becoming Cursts, but would they be able to start over once they have become undead?

Q 102
Can Cursts use spell-liked abilities they gain from the Spell-stitched template?My two questions never got answered, so I figured I'd move them up. Something I forgot to mention that may help is that Cursts are listed in the appendix of Monsters of Faerun.

MeklorIlavator
2008-09-07, 02:40 PM
Q 132, Dnd 3.5
Is the movement speed bonus granted by the Celerity(Compete Divine) domain a an enhancement bonus, thus not stacking with Haste and other similar spells?

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-07, 08:34 PM
Q133 Mutants and Masterminds 2e

Is there a way to make a heroic minion Gargantuan sized while keeping in a PL7 limit?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-08, 08:31 AM
A 132

It's an unnamed bonus (Spell Compendium page 271), so it'll stack with everything.

UglyPanda
2008-09-08, 10:27 AM
Q 134. A player has 10 hit dice and 37 max HP. He takes 8 damage and then 6 CON damage. Is he at -1 HP or 2 HP since he still gets 1 HP per level?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-08, 10:38 AM
A. 134

2 for the reason you noted.

If a character’s Constitution score drops, then he loses 1 hit point per Hit Die for every point by which his Constitution modifier drops. A hit point score can’t be reduced by Constitution damage or drain to less than 1 hit point per Hit Die.

Orran
2008-09-08, 01:08 PM
Q 135. Are there any published stats for the dire template?

chevalier
2008-09-08, 01:28 PM
Q 136.

In 3.5, how do I tell if a creature is immune to sneak attacks in RAW?

Creatures that are immune to critical hits are so designated under their type or subtype (undead, constructs, plant-type).

Those rare creatures that cannot be flanked have this listed in their MM entry.

What about sneak attacks? I know that critical hits are not the same thing as sneak attacks, but how do I tell when a creature that is immune to the former is also not subject to the latter?

Thanks,

C.

RTGoodman
2008-09-08, 01:38 PM
A 135

Necromancer Games, a well-known third-party publisher, included a Dire Animal template in their Tome of Horrors, and luckily for you the 3.5 update booklet is available as a PDF online. You can check it out here on pg. 12: http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/ToHDire.pdf

Douglas
2008-09-08, 01:56 PM
A136
From the rogue class description:

Sneak Attack
If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.
Emphasis added.

Any and all creatures that are immune to critical hits are also immune to sneak attacks. Concealment also grants immunity to sneak attacks, though it is not generally a property of a creature. RAW also mentions the possibility of a creature with vitals too far away for the rogue to reach, but does not mention how to determine when this is the case.

Chronos
2008-09-08, 02:10 PM
A 136 continued: Note also that "cannot be flanked" does not automatically render a creature immune to sneak attack (though it does make it more difficult). A rogue can still sneak attack such a target that is denied its dex bonus to AC, as, for instance, if the rogue is invisible.

chevalier
2008-09-08, 02:45 PM
Thanks for A 136.

Siosilvar
2008-09-08, 05:39 PM
Q 137. Do you have to be actively using a weapon to benefit from special abilities (defending, deflecting [CW p. 134]), or simply wielding it (say a character is holding a +1 deflecting dagger in his off hand and using his other weapon exclusively)?

Demons_eye
2008-09-08, 07:15 PM
Q 138 & 139

Is an attack and a str check the same?

Dose the marshals arua add to your attack (str check)?

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-08, 08:11 PM
A138
No. A strength check only uses your STR modifier while an Attack Roll uses your Base Attack Bonus + Your STR for melee/DEX for ranged + any other applicable modifiers.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-08, 08:26 PM
A 137

The weapon enhancement descriptions state how you can obtain their benefits, but that's not always clear. For instance, most of these benefits obtain to the weapon's wielder, but the game doesn't define "wield". Dictionary definitions for the term suggest both "use" and "carry", with "handle" (which is derived from "hand") as a synonym. So the most consistent definition would provide the benefits if you carried the weapon in your hand, whether you actively fought with it or not.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-08, 08:31 PM
Q 139

Dose the marshals arua add to your attack (str check)?
A 139

The Marshal's Major Aura (Motivate Attack) adds to your melee attacks. It does not add to Strength checks. Note that melee attacks usually use Strength as their primary ability, but with Weapon Finesse they can instead use Dexterity -- and Motivate Attack applies to both types of melee attack roll.

Greg
2008-09-09, 05:00 AM
Q140
Does a blessed book remove the cost of scribing for a geometer? I would assume so, but I wanted to check.

Alveanerle
2008-09-09, 07:00 AM
Some 3.5 questions, if i may.

Q. 141
Blindfighting vs invisibility.

Blindfighting allows for checking miss due to concealment twice, and picking a better result. Does it also apply to blindly attacking a tile with invisible creature? In other words – if a fighter does NOT have the location of a foe pinpointed, and attacks a tile basing on a guesswork, will he also check for the concealment twice due to blindfighting?

Q. 142
Granting wish in combat.

Noble Djini and Efreeti can grant three wishes as a spell like ability. Now things get complicated if this is done in combat situation

A. What would be the action required on the genie side? 1 stadard action I assume, as per casting time of the spell.
B. What action (if any) would be required from the receiving party to utilize those wishes?
C. Would granting/receiving of those wishes be possible to be performed on the distance, or would both parties need to be adjacent?
D. What about initiative? Genie grants a wish, and then it needs to wait till the initiative of the receiving party to have them worded and executed? Or granting/wording/execution would all fall into the Genie’s initiative?

Q. 143
Lesser restoration vs wand

How long does it take to use one charge from a wand of lesser restoration? 1 standard action or 3 rounds as the spell casting time would indicate?

Q. 144
Ride-by attack and mount attacks.

Can mount attack during the ride-by attack action performed by the rider? I think no, unless the mount also possesses the “ride-by attack” feat, but I’d like to make sure what’s the official standing here.

Q. 145
Can “spur” (one of uses of a ride skill) be used in combination with charge?

Q. 146
How to deal with situation when one party of the mount-rider pair gets knocked down or knocked back? Say there is a strong enough wind, and after solving its effects the mount stands still untouched, but rider gets knocked back by several tiles. Or the other way around. Or when rider or the mount gets hit with n awesome blow and is flung in a random direction.

Q. 147
Spirited charge & cleave

When one falls an enemy as a result of a spirited charge, and receives another attack due to one of the Cleave family feats, does the additional attack also get multiplied by the “spirited charge” factor?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-09, 10:00 AM
A. 140

It removes the cost for all classes that have to scribe spells like a wizard.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-09, 10:24 AM
Q. 141
Blindfighting vs invisibility.

Blindfighting allows for checking miss due to concealment twice, and picking a better result. Does it also apply to blindly attacking a tile with invisible creature? In other words – if a fighter does NOT have the location of a foe pinpointed, and attacks a tile basing on a guesswork, will he also check for the concealment twice due to blindfighting?

Yes, every time you miss because of concealment you get to re-roll. Obviously, the DM should have you re-roll even if the square is empty.

Q. 142
Granting wish in combat.

Noble Djini and Efreeti can grant three wishes as a spell like ability. Now things get complicated if this is done in combat situation

A. What would be the action required on the genie side? 1 stadard action I assume, as per casting time of the spell.
B. What action (if any) would be required from the receiving party to utilize those wishes?
C. Would granting/receiving of those wishes be possible to be performed on the distance, or would both parties need to be adjacent?
D. What about initiative? Genie grants a wish, and then it needs to wait till the initiative of the receiving party to have them worded and executed? Or granting/wording/execution would all fall into the Genie’s initiative?

Speaking can be performed even when it is not your turn, so it is possible to request a wish and then having the genie grant it on its turn. Of course, the length of the wish may require the use of more than one round if it gets lengthy.

Q. 143
Lesser restoration vs wand

How long does it take to use one charge from a wand of lesser restoration? 1 standard action or 3 rounds as the spell casting time would indicate?

The casting time is the same as for the spell unless otherwise noted.

Q. 144
Ride-by attack and mount attacks.

Can mount attack during the ride-by attack action performed by the rider? I think no, unless the mount also possesses the “ride-by attack” feat, but I’d like to make sure what’s the official standing here.

You are correct.

Q. 145
Can “spur” (one of uses of a ride skill) be used in combination with charge?

Yes, the speed of the creature is what is affected.

Q. 146
How to deal with situation when one party of the mount-rider pair gets knocked down or knocked back? Say there is a strong enough wind, and after solving its effects the mount stands still untouched, but rider gets knocked back by several tiles. Or the other way around. Or when rider or the mount gets hit with n awesome blow and is flung in a random direction.

The RAW is a little grey in this area as there is no special rules for this situation. However, being tripped of a mount is covered under the tripping rules and can be used for the more moderate effects such as simply being knocked to the ground.
Blown away is probably not so easy to avoid, but a lenient DM may still want to include a ride check to avoid the effects in case the save fails.
Having the mount experience the effects should probably always include the rider being knocked off and then perhaps blown away (If in the air a ride check might mitigate the falling off, but again it is subject to DM adjudication).

Q. 147
Spirited charge & cleave

When one falls an enemy as a result of a spirited charge, and receives another attack due to one of the Cleave family feats, does the additional attack also get multiplied by the “spirited charge” factor?

Strictly speaking no, since you are not charging that creature.

Corbin Jenkins
2008-09-09, 11:47 AM
Q. 148

Can the harpoon from frostburn be used as a melee weapon? It doesn't say, but the flavor text said it was a spear...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-09, 08:03 PM
Q. 149
I remember hearing about a race of Cats in D&D. Not the Catfolk from RotW, but actual intelligent cats. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I crazy?

Corbin Jenkins
2008-09-09, 08:11 PM
Q. 149
I remember hearing about a race of Cats in D&D. Not the Catfolk from RotW, but actual intelligent cats. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I crazy?

Tibbits from Dragon Compendium?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-09, 08:19 PM
Yes, thank you. I knew they started with a T.

RTGoodman
2008-09-09, 08:32 PM
A 148

If the Harpoon is listed as an Exotic Thrown/Ranged weapon, RAW I don't think it can be used in melee as per this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#meleeandRangedWeapons):

Ranged weapons are thrown weapons or projectile weapons that are not effective in melee.

I'll check against in Frostburn when I get back to my books later just to make sure there's nothing hidden there, though.

Thurbane
2008-09-09, 09:24 PM
Apolgies in advance if these have already been asked and answered:

Q. 150
Does movement though a threatened square provoke AoO if you are Invisible, or otherwise cannot be detected?

Q. 151
If someone destroys a Mirror Image with a melee attack, does this activate a Cleave ability, as if they had dropped an opponent?

Corbin Jenkins
2008-09-09, 10:06 PM
A 148

If the Harpoon is listed as an Exotic Thrown/Ranged weapon, RAW I don't think it can be used in melee as per this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#meleeandRangedWeapons):

I'll check against in Frostburn when I get back to my books later just to make sure there's nothing hidden there, though.

Q 148b(I guess)

It seems to me it would use the same rules as the javelin. Which begs the question of how I could overcome that penalty?

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-09, 11:03 PM
Q149

When applying the half-ogre template to a medium creature, it says...

If the Base Creature was of Small or Medium size, its size is
increased by one category, with all the appropriate changes to its
ability scores, etc., plus a +10’ improvement to base movement.
These changes are in addition to the bonuses and penalties listed.
Does this mean that in addition to the +4 STR, -2 INT, -2 CHA, +2 natural armor; It gets the +8 STR -2 DEX, +4 CON, and +2 Natural armore from moving up to large size?

Mooch
2008-09-09, 11:32 PM
does two weapon fighting and improved two weapon fights stack with a monks flurry of blows

monty
2008-09-09, 11:44 PM
Q. 150
Does movement though a threatened square provoke AoO if you are Invisible, or otherwise cannot be detected?

A 150
You can't make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed, so if they can't detect you, they can't attack you.

Q. 151
If someone destroys a Mirror Image with a melee attack, does this activate a Cleave ability, as if they had dropped an opponent?

A 151
A Mirror Image isn't a creature, so Cleave doesn't apply.

If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop...

Emphasis mine.

monty
2008-09-09, 11:48 PM
Q149

Does this mean that in addition to the +4 STR, -2 INT, -2 CHA, +2 natural armor; It gets the +8 STR -2 DEX, +4 CON, and +2 Natural armore from moving up to large size?

A 149
I believe those numbers only apply to size increases from advancing RHD, not all size increases. So, you'd only get the racial modifiers.

Edit: or I could be wrong.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-09, 11:50 PM
A. 152 (let's call this)

Q149

Yes, that is what it says in the part you quoted. :smallsmile:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-10, 12:03 AM
A. 151 Continued

A 151
A Mirror Image isn't a creature, so Cleave doesn't apply.

Emphasis mine.

While your literal interpretation strictly speaking is correct, the intend is to treat them as creatures for the purpose of attacks and spells.

If that was not the case, the treatment would be inconsistent.

Are the multiple figments from a mirror image spell
legal targets for cleaving? That is, if you have the Cleave
feat and you hit an image and destroy it, can you then
attack another target within reach (such as another figment
from the spell or perhaps the spell user)? What about
Whirlwind Attack? Can you use this feat to attack all the
images around the spell user? What about spells that allow
multiple targets, such as magic missile? Can you aim magic
missiles at different images?

For all intents and purposes, the figments from a foe’s
mirror image spell are your foes. You aim your spells and your
attacks at the figments just as though they were real creatures.
Any spell you can aim at a creature you can aim at an image.
When you use a spell that allows you to select multiple
creatures as targets, such as magic missile, you can choose
multiple images as targets.
If you have the Cleave or Great Cleave feat, destroying an
image with a melee attack triggers the feat (and your cleaving
attack might well strike the spell user instead of another
image). Likewise, you can use Whirlwind Attack to strike at
any image you can reach. A Whirlwind Attack almost certainly
will allow you to strike once at the spell user.

Alveanerle
2008-09-10, 06:47 AM
Q. 153
Would quickened scorching ray break through a spell immunity [schorching ray]?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-10, 09:03 AM
A 150

By RAW, yes, the movement provokes an AoO. And being visually undetectable only denies the opponent their DEX bonus to AC; it does not make them flat-footed.

That said, the rules don't make it easy for your opponent to take advantage of the AoO. Other senses (scent, tremorsense, and the like) can let the opponent attack. But most characters will need to rely on their reactive Spot and Listen check results to detect you moving through their threatened area. You'll need to make a Move Silently check.

A Spot check result higher than 20 generally lets you become aware of an invisible creature near you, though you can’t actually see it. The DM should roll both opponent checks to determine if they know to take the AoO. If the AoO occurs, they'll still have the 50% miss chance for attacking into your square without being able to see you.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-10, 09:19 AM
A 153 No.

As stated on page 170 of the PH, metamagic feats “are not taken into account when determining whether a spell can be countered.” A Scorching Ray with the Quicken Spell metamagic feat applied is still the same spell; it's just quicker to cast.

Griffin131
2008-09-10, 11:35 AM
A 150

By RAW, yes, the movement provokes an AoO. And being visually undetectable only denies the opponent their DEX bonus to AC; it does not make them flat-footed.

That said, the rules don't make it easy for your opponent to take advantage of the AoO. Other senses (scent, tremorsense, and the like) can let the opponent attack. But most characters will need to rely on their reactive Spot and Listen check results to detect you moving through their threatened area. You'll need to make a Move Silently check.
The DM should roll both opponent checks to determine if they know to take the AoO. If the AoO occurs, they'll still have the 50% miss chance for attacking into your square without being able to see you.

Wrong.
You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies.
Invisible creatures are stated to have total concealment.

It has total concealment; even if an attacker correctly guesses the invisible creature's location, the attacker has a 50% miss chance in combat.

Douglas
2008-09-10, 12:07 PM
A150 continued
Of course, if the enemy in question has See Invisibility, blindsight, or some other way of ignoring the total concealment provided by invisibility, then he does get an AoO. Blindsense and other abilities that reveal the square but do not negate the miss chance are not sufficient, however.

Chronos
2008-09-10, 12:22 PM
does two weapon fighting and improved two weapon fights stack with a monks flurry of blows
Please number your questions. Let's call this Q154

A 154: Yes, as long as you have two weapons and both are eligible for Flurry (an unarmed strike and a nunchuk, for instance, or two kamas). You get two extra attacks (or three extra, with improved two-weapon fighting), and the penalties stack.

Note that, even though you can hit with many different parts of your body, "Unarmed Strike" only counts as a single weapon.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-10, 12:41 PM
Note that, even though you can hit with many different parts of your body, "Unarmed Strike" only counts as a single weapon. The most recent FAQ says otherwise:
Can you use the two-weapon fighting rules to make an extra unarmed attack if your first attack was also an unarmed attack?
In the Sage’s opinion, yes. Unarmed attacks are described as using any part of your body to attack in several places, so using two parts of your body to attack, like both hands, seems permissible.

Chronos
2008-09-10, 02:17 PM
I believe that in this case, the Sage is wrong. By the same reasoning, you could claim that you can TWF with a halberd, using the blade and the point at the end. Just as the blade and point of a halberd are two different parts of the same weapon, a monk's knee and fist are two different parts of the same weapon.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-10, 02:39 PM
I believe that in this case, the Sage is wrong. I don't disagree with you. Just providing a reference.

ocato
2008-09-10, 11:55 PM
Q155 Do scrolls, wands, staves, or other UMD items suffer from ASF?

Q156 Can I warforged artificer enchant/imbue his armor/slam attack the same way one would enchant/imbue a regular magical armor/weapon?

Q157 Is there anything stopping a Warforged from wearing regular nonmagical clothing or is the fact that 99% of pictures show them 'naked' a flavor thing?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-11, 01:36 AM
A 155 No.

Activating such items via Use Magic Device is a skill use; it's not casting a spell.
Arcane Spell Failure

Armor interferes with the gestures that a spellcaster must make to cast an arcane spell that has a somatic component. As you're (at least for the moment) a skill user rather than a spellcaster when you activate a device via UMD, ASF is not an issue.

Frosty
2008-09-11, 01:56 AM
Q. 158 Can the Combat Rhythm option of the Stormguard Warrior feat be used in ways such as destroying doors or walls? First round: Make 6 or 7 touch attacks against the door. Next round, each attack (which will most likely hit unless you roll a 1) against the door will deal an extra 30 or 35 attack (plus however much you wish to Power Attack), making it fairly easy to break.

Xenogears
2008-09-11, 11:14 AM
A156 A warforged's armor can be enchanted just like a regular set of magical armor according to the MMIII. So assumadly yes although there is no mention of enchanting himself as a weapon so that one is unclear.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-11, 12:20 PM
A. 157

Possibly the tailor's union, otherwise no.

ocato
2008-09-11, 12:25 PM
Q 159

Do Warforged ever suffer non-proficiency penalties for composite plating that is heavier than their class normally allows? I know they can't use special abilities such as druid or monk powers if their wearing too heavy armor, but could a Warforged with medium armor proficiency take the Adamantine Body Feat or would he be considered not proficient with himself?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-11, 12:29 PM
A. 158

Unless the door is threatening you and wants to take your lunch popcorn I would not regard is an "opponent" and thus it would not be possible to use Combat Rhythm against it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-11, 12:33 PM
A. 159

He would qualify for the feat, but he is considered wearing heavy armor, so without proficiency he would also suffer the penalties.

Nonproficient with Armor Worn: A character who wears armor and/or uses a shield with which he or she is not proficient takes the armor’s (and/or shield’s) armor check penalty on attack rolls and on all Strength-based and Dexterity-based ability and skill checks. The penalty for nonproficiency with armor stacks with the penalty for nonproficiency with shields.

Chronos
2008-09-11, 05:14 PM
A 155 correction: Using a scroll of an arcane spell via UMD does involve arcane spell failure. From the description of Use Magic Device (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm), the skill check is part of the normal action for activating the device, and from the description of scrolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#activatetheSpell),
Using a scroll is like casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure chance.

Wands and staves, however, do not require an ASF check, regardless of whether they're used normally by a spellcaster or UMDed.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-11, 07:53 PM
A 155 debate

There are two problems with your argument, Chronos. The first is that Arcane spell failure chance is class-dependent, and not tied to a particular spell or scroll.
Armor restricts the complicated gestures that a wizards or sorcerer must make while casting any spell that has a somatic component (most do). The armor and shield descriptions list the arcane spell failure chance for different armors and shields.

By contrast, bards not only know how to wear light armor effectively, but they can also ignore the arcane spell failure chance for such armor. Once scribed, a spell on a scroll has no association with its scriber; it's merely arcane or divine. An Eyebite scroll scribed by a Bard is no different from an Eyebite scroll scribed by a Wizard. So your answer would raise the question of whether a Rogue in armor activating an Eyebite scroll would suffer the ASF of a Wizard or of a Bard. The game provides no answer for this, because the question arises from a flawed premise.

The second problem is that a Wizard, Bard, or Rogue in armor using Use Magic Device to activate an Eyebite scroll does not suffer from Arcane Spell Failure because the skill user doesn't actually perform any casting actions (indeed in the case of the Rogue doesn't know how to do so), and is merely skillfully tricking the scroll into activating. Here's what is required without UMD:
Spell Completion

This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on). By contrast, this is all that the UMD skill says about actually activating scrolls (as opposed to emulating requirements):
Use Magic Device allows you to use a scroll as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. Use Magic Device has no mention of words or gestures under Use a Scroll. There can be no finishing of the spellcasting by a Rogue, because the Rogue is never a spellcaster. And if the Rogue activating a scroll does so as other than a spellcaster, the same applies to all other classes utilizing UMD's Use a Scroll function. Arcane Spell Failure only applies to spellcasting.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-11, 09:10 PM
Q 160-
Does Crown of White Ravens from the Tome of Battle- Book of Nine Swords merely grant knowledge of a maneuver, allowing it to be readied, or does it grant use of a maneuver as if it was readied normally, but without taking up a readied maneuver slot?

Thurbane
2008-09-11, 09:27 PM
Q. 161
Other than the Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone, or a Statue spell, are there any spells, items or abilties that allow a character to exist without air, say in a Bag of Holding?

RTGoodman
2008-09-11, 09:33 PM
A 161 Partial

There's the bottle of air (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bottleofAir), from the DMG/SRD, and I do believe that certain races (Warforged) don't require you to breath.

Douglas
2008-09-11, 09:37 PM
A161 partial
These two don't technically allow you to exist without air, but they do provide air so that you don't have to: the Necklace of Adaptation (core item), and Deep Breath (Spell Compendium spell).

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-11, 09:38 PM
A 161-

Q. 161
Other than the Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone, or a Statue spell, are there any spells, items or abilties that allow a character to exist without air, say in a Bag of Holding?

Amulet of Adaptation does that easily, if I recall. All it costs is a neck slot and 9000 gold. 18,000 if you go slotless

tyckspoon
2008-09-11, 09:38 PM
A 161 Extension

The Necklace of Adaptation also provides air, even in vacuum. Additionally, creatures of the Construct, Elemental, and Undead types do not need to breathe.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-11, 11:21 PM
Q 162

I want to know if I'm doing this right. A continuous magic item of a spell measured in hours/level has a price of Spell Level*Caster Level*2000/2. So, by that formula, an Amulet of Continuous Mage Armor would cost 1000 GP. Am I missing something? The various AC bonus costs don't seem to apply to an Armor bonus that isn't enhancement on a set of armor. Is this the Widget of True Striking all over again, or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-11, 11:46 PM
A. 162

The rules for creating custom magic items are just rough guidelines. The most important pricing guideline is to compare the effects to already existing items rather than using the formula. The pricing rules for ac bonuses are well-established and should be used in this case.

monty
2008-09-12, 09:47 AM
A 162 continued

Also keep in mind that all custom magic items are up to the DM to allow, and to decide the price. If you are the DM in this case, and it seems too cheap, just make it more expensive.

Copacetic
2008-09-12, 07:51 PM
Q 163

The Maze (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/maze.htm) Spell doesn't affect Minotaurs. Why?

monty
2008-09-12, 07:57 PM
A 163

In Greek mythology, the Minotaur lived in a labyrinth, and presumably was able to find its way around to eat the virgins (I think that was what it ate, anyway; I don't remember exactly). Then Theseus killed it and married the king's daughter or something like that.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-12, 09:35 PM
Q164

Where can I find the rules regarding the creation of epic spells.

tyckspoon
2008-09-12, 09:41 PM
A 164

In the Epic Level Handbook, a 3.0 splat that was, to the best of my knowledge, never completely updated. Alternately, in the Epic Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm) section of the SRD; d20srd incorporates errata and updates, so those should be as up-to-date as they ever will be.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-12, 11:12 PM
Q. 165

Are there any Finesseable Martial Weapons with reach?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-13, 02:55 AM
A. 165

I doubt it.

Gorbash
2008-09-13, 04:01 AM
Q 166

Do effects of the Knowledge Devotion feat apply to Ray spells? For example, Scorching Ray.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-13, 04:29 AM
A. 166

Yes, they also require attack and damage rolls.

Maxymiuk
2008-09-13, 04:31 AM
Q 167.

Does Spell Resistance apply against beneficial/ally spells cast in combat? If so, are there rules regarding raising/dropping Spell Resistance?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-13, 04:38 AM
A. 167

Yes, spell resistance does not discriminate and most be actively lowered to avoid risking resisting beneficial spells.

SPELL RESISTANCE

Spell resistance is the extraordinary ability to avoid being affected by spells. (Some spells also grant spell resistance.)

To affect a creature that has spell resistance, a spellcaster must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) at least equal to the creature’s spell resistance. (The defender’s spell resistance is like an Armor Class against magical attacks.) If the caster fails the check, the spell doesn’t affect the creature. The possessor does not have to do anything special to use spell resistance. The creature need not even be aware of the threat for its spell resistance to operate.

Only spells and spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance. Extraordinary and supernatural abilities (including enhancement bonuses on magic weapons) are not. A creature can have some abilities that are subject to spell resistance and some that are not. Even some spells ignore spell resistance; see When Spell Resistance Applies, below.

A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Once a creature lowers its resistance, it remains down until the creatureÂ’s next turn. At the beginning of the creature’s next turn, the creature’s spell resistance automatically returns unless the creature intentionally keeps it down (also a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity).

A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities.

A creature with spell resistance cannot impart this power to others by touching them or standing in their midst. Only the rarest of creatures and a few magic items have the ability to bestow spell resistance upon another.

Spell resistance does not stack. It overlaps.
When Spell Resistance Applies

Each spell includes an entry that indicates whether spell resistance applies to the spell. In general, whether spell resistance applies depends on what the spell does:

Targeted Spells: Spell resistance applies if the spell is targeted at the creature. Some individually targeted spells can be directed at several creatures simultaneously. In such cases, a creature’s spell resistance applies only to the portion of the spell actually targeted at that creature. If several different resistant creatures are subjected to such a spell, each checks its spell resistance separately.

Area Spells: Spell resistance applies if the resistant creature is within the spell’s area. It protects the resistant creature without affecting the spell itself.

Effect Spells: Most effect spells summon or create something and are not subject to spell resistance. Sometimes, however, spell resistance applies to effect spells, usually to those that act upon a creature more or less directly, such as web.

Spell resistance can protect a creature from a spell that’s already been cast. Check spell resistance when the creature is first affected by the spell.

Check spell resistance only once for any particular casting of a spell or use of a spell-like ability. If spell resistance fails the first time, it fails each time the creature encounters that same casting of the spell. Likewise, if the spell resistance succeeds the first time, it always succeeds. If the creature has voluntarily lowered its spell resistance and is then subjected to a spell, the creature still has a single chance to resist that spell later, when its spell resistance is up.

Spell resistance has no effect unless the energy created or released by the spell actually goes to work on the resistant creature’s mind or body. If the spell acts on anything else and the creature is affected as a consequence, no roll is required. Creatures can be harmed by a spell without being directly affected.

Spell resistance does not apply if an effect fools the creature’s senses or reveals something about the creature.

Magic actually has to be working for spell resistance to apply. Spells that have instantaneous durations but lasting results aren’t subject to spell resistance unless the resistant creature is exposed to the spell the instant it is cast.

When in doubt about whether a spell’s effect is direct or indirect, consider the spell’s school:

Abjuration: The target creature must be harmed, changed, or restricted in some manner for spell resistance to apply. Perception changes aren’t subject to spell resistance.

Abjurations that block or negate attacks are not subject to an attacker’s spell resistance — it is the protected creature that is affected by the spell (becoming immune or resistant to the attack).

Conjuration: These spells are usually not subject to spell resistance unless the spell conjures some form of energy. Spells that summon creatures or produce effects that function like creatures are not subject to spell resistance.

Divination: These spells do not affect creatures directly and are not subject to spell resistance, even though what they reveal about a creature might be very damaging.

Enchantment: Since enchantment spells affect creatures’ minds, they are typically subject to spell resistance.

Evocation: If an evocation spell deals damage to the creature, it has a direct effect. If the spell damages something else, it has an indirect effect.

Illusion: These spells are almost never subject to spell resistance. Illusions that entail a direct attack are exceptions.

Necromancy: Most of these spells alter the target creature’s life force and are subject to spell resistance. Unusual necromancy spells that don’t affect other creatures directly are not subject to spell resistance.

Transmutation: These spells are subject to spell resistance if they transform the target creature. Transmutation spells are not subject to spell resistance if they are targeted on a point in space instead of on a creature. Some transmutations make objects harmful (or more harmful), such as magic stone. Even these spells are not generally subject to spell resistance because they affect the objects, not the creatures against which the objects are used. Spell resistance works against magic stone only if the creature with spell resistance is holding the stones when the cleric casts magic stone on them.
Successful Spell Resistance

Spell resistance prevents a spell or a spell-like ability from affecting or harming the resistant creature, but it never removes a magical effect from another creature or negates a spell’s effect on another creature. Spell resistance prevents a spell from disrupting another spell.

Against an ongoing spell that has already been cast, a failed check against spell resistance allows the resistant creature to ignore any effect the spell might have. The magic continues to affect others normally.

SPELL RESISTANCE

Spell resistance is a special defensive ability. If your spell is being resisted by a creature with spell resistance, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) at least equal to the creature’s spell resistance for the spell to affect that creature. The defender’s spell resistance is like an Armor Class against magical attacks. Include any adjustments to your caster level to this caster level check.

The Spell Resistance entry and the descriptive text of a spell description tell you whether spell resistance protects creatures from the spell. In many cases, spell resistance applies only when a resistant creature is targeted by the spell, not when a resistant creature encounters a spell that is already in place.

The terms “object” and “harmless” mean the same thing for spell resistance as they do for saving throws. A creature with spell resistance must voluntarily lower the resistance (a standard action) in order to be affected by a spell noted as harmless. In such a case, you do not need to make the caster level check described above.

ocato
2008-09-13, 12:53 PM
Q 168

Can a person take Weapon Focus (Wand) or something similar and have a +1 to all attack rolls made with a wand (rays, touch attacks, etc) or must you simply weapon focus rays, touch attacks, etc separately?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-13, 01:20 PM
A. 168

Weapon Focus applies to ranged spells or touch spells as per the rules on weapon-like spell on page 73 of Complete Arcane.

Altair_the_Vexed
2008-09-13, 01:23 PM
Q169
What core rules can I use if a Huge or similarly big creature wishes to pick up a Medium or similarly smaller creature and throw them? Specifically I'm wondering about distance, damage and opposed checks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-13, 01:47 PM
A. 169

In CORE I think the feat from the MM Awesome Blow is what comes closest to what you want to model.

Eldariel
2008-09-13, 08:18 PM
Q170:

Eh, I'm probably just overthinking this, but if there's an effect that says one gets an AoO (such as Karmic Strike when the target of a hitting attack) and the target the AoO would be targeted against has cover/total concealment, does the statement "you can make an attack of opportunity" in such an ability override the normal "total cover/concealment" restriction?

I'm assuming stuff like Robilar's Gambit with the wording "provokes an AoO" automatically fall under the normal rules for handling whether an AoO can be taken, but the wording of Karmic Strike seems to suggest it bypasses the normal limitations an AoO experiences.

Jastermereel
2008-09-13, 08:32 PM
Q. 171

For a one-off monster campaign, I'm looking at the interaction of three things: a character being in a swarm form (as if from the Master of Flies class in Savage Species), Warshaper (CWar), and Soul Eater (BoVD).

The Soul Eater's main ability is a level drain - requiring a touch attack. Swarms don't make attack rolls, so a 'normal' swarm with Soul Eater levels wouldn't be able to do level drains. The question regards Warshaper's effects.

A) Swarm damage is based on HD. Does that go up with character level, and how does Warshaper's increase in natural weapon size affect that?

B) Warshapers can grow additional natural weapons that their form didn't already have. Could a warshaping swarm collect some of its members to form, say, a claw capable of making active attacks, thus getting back that Soul Eater touch ability?

Bob
2008-09-13, 09:17 PM
Inhales deeply

Q. 172
How is a double-weapon regarded for the purpose of power attack?

Q. 173
How is a double-weapon regarded for the purpose of disarm attempts, the giving and recieving of?

Q. 174
Can a character make an unarmed melee touch, lets say to trip attack, while having both of her hands occupied, lets say by a greatsword?

Q. 175
If a monk was fighting with gauntlets would she be able to use her unarmed damage bonus?

Q. 176
Would gauntlets, even though they do not confer an armor bonus, be regarded as armor for a monk's abilities?

Q. 177
What area is threatened by a large character with a reach weapon?

Q. 178
If a character with levels in a particular prestige class no longer fulfils the requirements of that prestige class what happens?

Q. 179
Is the harpoon from stormwrack a one-handed or two-handed weapon?

Q. 180
What would be an example of an attack that could be used to preform a coup de grace on a helpless troll?

Q. 181
Can disjunction be cast from within an antimagic field?

Q. 182
How do players character create or procure poisons?

Q. 183
What penalty should a good wizard recieve for regularly using evil spell such as animate dead?

Q. 184
Would a character with a reach weapon and armor spikes be able to use the spikes as an off-hand weapon and threaten adjacent squares?

swoons

*thud*

tyckspoon
2008-09-13, 10:07 PM
You should look into improving your Con.

List!
A 172-173
Double weapons:
When fighting with both ends of the weapon, a double weapon is treated as a one handed weapon plus a light weapon. If fighting with only one end of the weapon, it will generally be treated as a two-handed weapon. This line-

A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.
implies that it could also be wielded as a one-handed weapon, but it's not very explicit about it and it's rather hard to imagine. For purposes of disarming, I would always treat a double weapon as a two-handed weapon when resisting a disarm attempt. If making one, follow the same rules as for attacking with it; ie, it's a one-handed weapon if you used it to two-weapon fight and a two-handed weapon if you are only using one end.

A 174
Yes. Unarmed attacks may be made using any part of the body. In the specific case of a trip attempt you could be trying to kick the opponent's legs out or simply push them over with greater strength.

A 175-176: Monks
Yes, a Monk could use his unarmed strike damage with a gauntlet. No, they will not interfere with his other abilities; Gauntlets are a kind of weapon in the D&D rules, not armor.

Note: Gauntlets are a Simple weapon that the monk is, by strict RAW, not proficient with. Homeruling otherwise is recommended, for much the same reason that nobody seriously tries to enforce proficiency regarding Unarmed Strikes, which are also a Simple weapon that the Monk is not specifically proficient in.

A 177
A Large creature with a reach weapon threatens the area from 10 to 20 feet away from him. The effect of a reach weapon is to double your natural reach, whatever it is. A Huge (tall) creature bearing a reach weapon would threaten from 15 to 30 feet.

A 178
Ask your GM. Complete Warrior, IIRC, contains a sidebox stating that you lose all abilities from the prestige class. However, there are some classes that would null themselves if this rule were enforced- Dragon Disciple requires you to not be of the Dragon type and turns you into a Half-Dragon, while Ur-Priest requires you to have no divine casting and immediately grants said. In light of such situations it cannot be said with certainty that the C. War rule should apply. The core rules simply require that you meet the prerequisites when you get the first level of that PrC and is silent on what happens afterward.

Not an answer to 179
I don't have Stormwrack near to check. Sorry.

Any weapon may coup a troll; they are not immune to critical hits. However, they will simply inflict a very large pile of non-lethal damage. Assuming you are asking about the clause in Regeneration regarding killing an unconscious regenerating monster: the most generous reading is that you need only perform a coup that inflicts any sort of lethal damage at all, and it will bypass the normal Fortitude save and kill the troll. The weapon itself need not inflict fire/acid damage with its base dice. In this reading, any weapon enchanted with the acidic or flaming properties will do, as will a simple lit torch applied as an improvised weapon. I believe this is probably the intent, as it is fairly normal procedure when dealing with trolls to dispose of them by scorching the body after beating them unconscious.

A stricter reading would require a weapon that actually deals flame damage, in which case you must resort to spells like Flame Blade and class features like the Pyrokineticist's Fire Lash.

A 181
Yes. The explanation for this is long, contentious, and would over-extend an already long reply. No doubt somebody else will explain more in depth or be along shortly to explain why I'm wrong. :smallamused:

A 182
Poisons may be purchased like any other item, subject to a character's ability to locate a supplier. Prices and effects can be found in the DMG or in the Poison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison) section of the SRD. Certain books also contain rules for crafting poisons; try the Book of Vile Darkness. Additionally, extra poisons and homebrew rules for making poisons can be found all over the Internet.

A 183
This is primarily a roleplaying situation; the rules do not say very much about it. Mechanically, all casting [Evil] spells does is slowly move the caster's alignment toward Evil. The exact effects of this are up to the player and his GM to determine.

A 184
Yes. The same can be done with an Unarmed Strike or a natural weapon, such as a bite. Claws and Slams, which are usually performed with the arms, are typically already engaged in holding the weapon.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-13, 10:57 PM
A 170

Yes, you're overthinking this. The statements about you not being able to make an AoO under these circumstances are absolute.
You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.
You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies. The wording of Karmic Strike ("You can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent that hits you in melee.") says you can make the AoO, but the rules of cover and concealment say you cannot. You take the intersection of the Venn diagram, and the result is you can make the AoO only when there's not total cover/concealment.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-14, 01:17 AM
A. 171

The abilities of those class features are separate. Think of it as a creature with a claw wildshaping/polymorphing into a shape without claws or even arms. Without a claw in the form you are not making claw attacks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-14, 01:52 AM
A 181
Yes. The explanation for this is long, contentious, and would over-extend an already long reply. No doubt somebody else will explain more in depth or be along shortly to explain why I'm wrong. :smallamused:

The explanation is actually not that long, just a little counter intuitive perhaps.
AMF does not block line of effect, does not not prevent casting and does not counter magic. It suppresses magic for the duration of the AMF, which means that many instantaneous effects effectively are countered, but you are free to cast outside the area of the AMF or cast spells that have a longer duration inside.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-14, 02:21 AM
A. 179

It is not specified, so it seems reasonable to assume that it is one-handed for throwing purposes at least. The control issue would on the other hand benefit from two-handed use, but this is not specified either.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-09-14, 06:47 PM
Q.185
In what book is the variable buckler (the one that changes into other shields) in? I just saw it in one of my books and now I can't it. p.s. I have PHB, DMG, CAD, CAR, MIC.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-15, 01:17 AM
Q186

When creating a weapon out of special materials and of a size larger than medium, is the material cost multiplied too?

i.e. If I wanted to buy a Large Adamantine Greatsword, would the cost be (Base Weapon Cost) + (Special Material Cost) x 2

SoD
2008-09-15, 02:22 AM
Q. 187, on racial substitution levels and alternate class options:

For a dwarven clerics racial substitution levels (apart from other things) they have a d10 hit die. Would that also apply to a Cloistered Cleric?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-15, 10:44 AM
A. 185

Page 15, MIC.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-15, 10:48 AM
A. 186

It depends on the material. If the price of the special material is given as a fixed modifier, like in your Adamantine example, it is not affected by the size change, but if it says that costs are multiplied, like in the Cold Iron case, price of the special material addition is also increased.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-15, 10:55 AM
A. 187

If Cloistered Cleric levels are allowed for meeting the prerequisite of the dwarven substitution level for clerics all the features would apply including the d10 HD.

Matthew
2008-09-15, 01:02 PM
Q. 188

Is there any errata regarding readied actions and "following" an opponent? The question came up in this Readied Actions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91098) thread. As far as I can see, if an opponent uses a full action to withdraw or run away, a character could not ready an action against the actual movement itself (since the the readied movement action would have to take place prior to the movement action of the opponent).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-15, 01:09 PM
A. 188

You have to word your trigger carefully and would have to make it contingent on the other party having moved.

Say you have 30 feet speed and wants to follow someone else you could ready an action saying if the other party moves 30 feet or more away from you you want to follow in the same direction.

Matthew
2008-09-15, 01:21 PM
A. 188, Commentary

Yeah, that's what I figured, though I think it requires some interpretation to get from the text. Best catch all in that case is probably:

"I attack this opponent if at any point he has moved 5' away from me."

...which would allow the attacker to interrupt a moving, withdrawing or fleeing character, as well as a character taking a five foot step to take a full round action.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-15, 01:34 PM
A. 188 Further Commentary

Indeed, but girls and boys and other nondescript creatures, remember that often time when you have to think about wording a triggering action; full attacking is often what gets you home to the popcorn munching the fastest. :smallcool:

KevLar
2008-09-15, 06:57 PM
Q. 189

The Scout "deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet". Does it have to be a normal move (walk, run, fly) or can you also teleport? And does skirmish damage apply when riding a mount?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-15, 07:31 PM
A 189

Teleporting is relocating without moving, so that would require an especially generous DM.

Errata for Complete Adventurer have stated that you cannot qualify for skirmish damage while mounted.

monty
2008-09-16, 11:04 AM
Q 190

Could a character with the Alternate Source Spell feat create a divine scroll of a normally arcane-only spell (or vice versa)? If so, could an Archivist then learn said spell?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-16, 12:04 PM
A 190 Yes, and yes.

Adjust the scroll price to account for the 1-level disparity required by the feat.

(If you find any DMs who have NPCs scribing such scrolls in their worlds, stay upwind to avoid the Limburger stench.)

Gorbash
2008-09-17, 08:31 AM
Q 191

In areas where summoning doesn't work, say area with Forbiddance on it, when you try to summon something, does the spell fails automatically when you try to cast it (consequtively is that spell/action wasted?), or the monster that you're supposed to summon doesn't appear in the next round when it should have, or you instinctively know that you can't summon anything, so when you start your summoning you can use your round for something else?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-17, 09:40 AM
A. 191

It fails, as in you cast the spell and nothing happens.

Such effects simply fail automatically.

Shazzbaa
2008-09-17, 10:43 AM
Q 192

When a Neutral Cleric of a Neutral deity (or no deity) picks whether to cure/turn or inflict/rebuke, does that also affect what alignment-based spells he can cast, or is he free to cast from any extreme alignment since he opposes neither?

As a Good cleric, you wouldn't be able to cast a spell with the [evil] descriptor, but is a Neutral cleric who chose to heal/turn under the same restrictions, mechanically-speaking?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-17, 10:53 AM
A. 192

There is no such RAW restrictions. It is determined base on alignment of the cleric and the deity (if there is one).

Curmudgeon
2008-09-17, 10:53 AM
A 192

The choice to turn/rebuke has no bearing on your ability to cast alignment-specific spells. You're still neutral, and thus may cast any aligned spell.

Dode
2008-09-17, 01:16 PM
Q. 193

What is the reach of a Large-sized creature wielding a whip?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-17, 01:23 PM
A. 193

The RAW is not clear and it has not been clarified IIRC.

It seems natural to treat it as tripling your natural reach, but the RAW never comes out to say that.

Quietus
2008-09-17, 03:42 PM
Q. 194

The Intuitive attack feat - is it an Exalted feat, or just in the BoED? Also, does it require BAB at all, and am I correct in recalling that it works only with simple weapons?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-17, 03:57 PM
A 194

It is Exalted, requires BAB +1, and works only with simple and natural weapons.

Dode
2008-09-17, 04:21 PM
Q.195 If I have the Telling Blow feat (PHB2) and crit someone while making a sneak attack, do I apply the sneak attack damage twice?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-17, 04:30 PM
A 195 No.

It's the same situation with Telling Blow as it is for sneak attacking someone you flank who's also denied their DEX bonus to AC: you never apply sneak attack damage more than once per attack.

Darkgryfyn
2008-09-17, 06:18 PM
Q. 196

Somewhere, I have seen a magic item property, I think it was called Skilled. Whatever it was called, it granted the wielder of the weapon with proficiency in said weapon. Does anyone remember this, and if so where was it?
Thanks!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-17, 11:17 PM
A. 196

Skillful, Complete Arcane.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-18, 01:09 AM
Q. 197

In the SRD entry on mithral, it says:
Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0)...Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.My question is if mithral's -3 to Armor Checks includes the -1 from it being a Masterwork set of armor. Strict reading would seem to indicate no, but I'd like another opinion.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-18, 01:13 AM
A. 197

Yes, all the relevant statistics are included in the mithral entry, including masterwork stats.

Boo
2008-09-18, 02:32 AM
Q.198

Is it possible to make a construct character?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-18, 02:41 AM
A. 198

Most constructs are not suiatable for PC and lack the requisite LA, but there is always the warforged.

Boo
2008-09-18, 02:59 AM
A. 198

Most constructs are not suiatable for PC and lack the requisite LA, but there is always the warforged.

Q. 199

2 questions here...

Is it possible for a character's soul/mind to be placed in a construct? If so, how might that affect the characters attributes other than granting them a natural hardness? (Guessing on the hardness thing, really)

Sorry if this is a big question. I'm relatively new to pen & paper DnD.

squishycube
2008-09-18, 03:26 AM
A199
I don't think it is possible by RAW, but if I would allow it to happen in a game of mine (probably not) I would let the 'soul' keep it's mental stats and get all physical properties of the construct.

Matthew
2008-09-18, 07:10 AM
Q. 200

Temporary Hit Points

Regdar has 18 hit points
Regdar takes 6 hit points damage
Regdar gains 6 temporary hit points
Regdar is healed for 6 hit points

Does Redgar now have 18 hit points or 18(24) hit points?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-18, 10:55 AM
A. 200

18 HP and 6 temporary HP.

SoD
2008-09-18, 10:41 PM
Q. 201 regarding feats and subtypes.

Just say I want to play a dragonwroght kobold dragonfire adept.

Dragonwrought changes your type to dragon, and you loose the dragonblood subtype.

1st level Dragonfire Adept, you gain Dragontouched as a feat, which gives you the dragonblood subtype.

So...do I have the dragonblood subtype or not? Can I choose weather to have it or not (as a permanant choice, obviously)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-18, 11:58 PM
A. 201

Blood is weaker than type. after you have changed type there is no scaling it back, unless you gain a completely different type of course.

Fishy
2008-09-19, 01:03 AM
Q. 202

An archivist uses his starting gold to buy a scroll of a spell that is specific to the Paladin list, and adds it to his prayer book. Does he qualify for the Battle Blessing feat, from Complete Champion, at level 1? If not, then later in his career? Does the feat apply to Cure Light Wounds and other spells that are on both the cleric and Paladin lists?

SoD
2008-09-19, 02:16 AM
A. 201

Blood is weaker than type. after you have changed type there is no scaling it back, unless you gain a completely different type of course.

A. 201, debated.

But I'm not scaling it back, I'm getting it back from a completely different source.

Thurbane
2008-09-19, 04:10 AM
A. 201

Yes, but only with spells that are exclusive to the Paladin spell list.

RAI (intended) is another matter...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-19, 08:41 AM
A. 201, debated.

But I'm not scaling it back, I'm getting it back from a completely different source.

While it probably is not spelled out directly, it follows naturally from the hierarchy of types outlined in Savage Species for instance.

Being a Dragon overrides anything granting you something lesser than the dragon type.

Frosty
2008-09-19, 11:10 AM
Q. 202 If you are a Chameleon using the Divine focus, and you prepare Paladin spells, can you take the Battle Blessing feat to cast all of your spells as Swift actions?

Chronos
2008-09-19, 12:31 PM
A 202: Any ability gained from the Chameleon's aptitude focus cannot be used to qualify for feats, prestige classes, etc., so that alone would not qualify you to take Battle Blessing. If, however, you had levels in paladin (or archivist), you could take Battle Blessing, and apply it to spells cast via your divine focus.

Dode
2008-09-19, 06:32 PM
Q. 203 Transdimensional Spell + Summon Monster X: what happens?

Vazzaroth
2008-09-19, 06:36 PM
Q. 204

In d20 Modern, if a person has a Rifle, and someone provokes and AoO, such as a grapple attempt, can they take the AoO with the Rifle Butt because it's a simple weapon? I always liked the idea of being able to grapple or disarm someone easier if they have a gun instead of a Knife or something, but does it work?

monty
2008-09-19, 06:44 PM
A 203(1)

Complete Arcane says:

You can cast spells that affect targets lurking in coexistent planes and extradimensional spaces whose entrances fall within the spell's area.
Since a Summon spell doesn't affect any of those targets, it wouldn't do anything.

Galileo
2008-09-19, 07:56 PM
Q. 205
If I'm playing a Sorcerer then switch to Paladin, what happens to my familiar? Can I have both a familiar and a paladin mount, or do I have to get rid of one of them?

monty
2008-09-19, 08:18 PM
A 205

Since they're distinct features, you get both.

Chronos
2008-09-19, 09:30 PM
Q 206: What is the LA for the Axiomatic and Anarchic templates? Crystalkeep lists them as +4 and +5 respectively, but Crystalkeep is known to have typos in things like that, and they seem roughly equivalent to Celestial and Fiendish (both +2).

monty
2008-09-19, 09:42 PM
A 206

Unless my copy of Planar Handbook is defective, +4 and +5 are correct.

Idea Man
2008-09-19, 10:29 PM
Q 207: When counterspelling dispel magic with dispel magic, is it assumed to be automatically successful (as they are the same spell), or do you have to roll for counterspelling (as listed under the description of the spell)?

monty
2008-09-19, 10:36 PM
A 207

Normally, countering with Dispel Magic is a special function of the spell; it isn't a "true" counterspell. If you use it to counter normally, treat it as any other spell.

Rubicon
2008-09-20, 01:00 AM
Q208:
A warforged enchants his body, making it +1 Shadow armour. He now has an armour bonus of +3 and a +5 competence bonus to Hide checks. After this, Mage Armour is cast on him. The +4 armour bonus granted by the spell replaces his normal AC bonus. Does the warforged still gain the benefit of the Shadow enhancement, or is it negated for the duration of the Mage Armour spell?

Q209:
An epic psionic character does not gain more than 20 levels of bonus power points. Suppose a character was Psion 15/Psychic Warrior 15, with Psion taken at odd levels and Psychic Warrior taken at even levels. The character's Int bonus is higher that his Wis bonus. How are his bonus power points determined?

A: In the order he gained psionic class levels (10 levels based off Int for Psion, and 10 levels based off Wis for Psychic Warrior)?

B: In the way most beneficial for the character (15 levels based off Int and 5 levels based off Wis)?

C: Other?

SoD
2008-09-20, 01:40 AM
A. 208.

The effect from Mage Armour doesn't replace the armour bonus from his body, it overlaps (and does not stack) with it. He, for the spells duration, has a +4 armour bonus and +5 bonus to hide checks.

A. 209.

His power points are determined seperatly, similar to how a wizard and a sorcerers spells are determined speratly, with bonus spells from int and cha (for each class). Or so I assume, don't have acess to my psionic books for the moment.

Douglas
2008-09-20, 01:51 AM
A209
Base power points do not increase past 20th level in any single manifesting class, but bonus power points have no such limitation. Additionally, the base progression ends separately for each manifesting class at level 20 in that class.

A Psion 15/Psychic Warrior 15 would have a power point total of:
195 (base psion) + 67 (base psychic warrior) + 7.5 * int bonus (psion bonus) + 7.5 * wis bonus (psychic warrior bonus).

A Psion 30 would have 343 (base level 20) + 15 * int bonus power points.

Ultima
2008-09-20, 01:55 AM
Q210

Okay; this is probably somewhere really simple and I've overlooked it, but I want to know how much gold to give my players when they start if they don't take the starting package. I think I've looked everywhere... can anyone help? Oh; I should add that I'm playing 3.5 edition.

Douglas
2008-09-20, 02:12 AM
A210
For PHB classes at level 1, there is a table on page 111. In other books this information may be harder to find or even completely missing. I just checked 3 of the Complete books and was unable to find starting gold for any of the base classes introduced in them, for example.

For higher levels, ignore class and see the table on page 135 of the DMG.

Rubicon
2008-09-20, 02:36 AM
A209
Base power points do not increase past 20th level in any single manifesting class, but bonus power points have no such limitation. Additionally, the base progression ends separately for each manifesting class at level 20 in that class.

A Psion 15/Psychic Warrior 15 would have a power point total of:
195 (base psion) + 67 (base psychic warrior) + 7.5 * int bonus (psion bonus) + 7.5 * wis bonus (psychic warrior bonus).

A Psion 30 would have 343 (base level 20) + 15 * int bonus power points.

Q209 Clarification

Bonus power points are limited to 20 levels. My confusion stems from this:

Epic psionic characters do not gain additional bonus power points above 20th. They may still gain more power points as their key ability score increases.

I assume the 20th mentioned above refers to the total levels in manifesting classes, and hence, the levels of bonus power points the character has. Of course, it may refer to individual classes, potentially giving the character 20 levels of bonus power points for each manifesting class. In my original question, it would mean the Psi 15/PsW 15 would gain 15 levels of bonus power points from Psion and 15 levels from Psychic Warrior.

Douglas
2008-09-20, 02:47 AM
A209 continued
Oops, I neglected to check the part at the top before the individual class entries.

As written it is ambiguous. I believe the intent was for the limit to be 20th level in a particular manifesting class, which would mean you get the full 15 levels worth for each class. On the down side, your manifester level is a great deal lower than it would be for a single class character and the limit on how much you can augment powers is correspondingly low. Sure, you can keep manifesting all day with your extra power points, but you can't do as much in a short time.

Rubicon
2008-09-20, 03:52 AM
As written it is ambiguous. I believe the intent was for the limit to be 20th level in a particular manifesting class, which would mean you get the full 15 levels worth for each class. On the down side, your manifester level is a great deal lower than it would be for a single class character and the limit on how much you can augment powers is correspondingly low. Sure, you can keep manifesting all day with your extra power points, but you can't do as much in a short time.

I wasn't suggesting such a build would be playable, but a character with 20+ levels of Psion could benefit from a 4 level dip in another psionic class to pick up extra power points (and apparently bonus points by RAI). If he took the Practiced Manifester feat, he could retain full Psion manifester level.

Swooper
2008-09-20, 01:03 PM
Q211
Does either the Paladin's Divine Grace (Charisma bonus to all saving throws) ability or the Crusader's Indomitable Soul (Charisma bonus to will saves) stack with the Hexblade's Arcane Resistance (a bonus equal to his Charisma bonus to saving throws vs. spells and spell-like effects)? Which of those would stack with the Marshal's Demand Fortitude, Watchful Eye and Force of Will minor auras (the Marshal's charisma bonus to Fortitude, Reflex and Will saves respectively)?

Douglas
2008-09-20, 01:14 PM
A211
Of the abilities listed, the only combination that does not stack is Divine Grace and Indomitable Soul. The only reason those two do not stack is that Indomitable Soul specifically states it does not stack with Divine Grace; all of the others stack fully, including with one (but only one) of Divine Grace and Indomitable Soul.

However, you would have to either be using a variant paladin or get Divine Grace from some other source in order to have both that ability and Arcane Resistance at the same time due to conflicting alignment requirements for the Paladin and Hexblade classes, along with both classes losing the relevant ability if you ever violate the alignment requirement.

Swooper
2008-09-20, 01:36 PM
A211
Of the abilities listed, the only combination that does not stack is Divine Grace and Indomitable Soul. The only reason those two do not stack is that Indomitable Soul specifically states it does not stack with Divine Grace; all of the others stack fully, including with one (but only one) of Divine Grace and Indomitable Soul.

However, you would have to either be using a variant paladin or get Divine Grace from some other source in order to have both that ability and Arcane Resistance at the same time due to conflicting alignment requirements for the Paladin and Hexblade classes, along with both classes losing the relevant ability if you ever violate the alignment requirement.
Thanks. :smallsmile: I know about the alignment conflict and mainly had DG in there for completeness, since variant paladins can have alignments that don't conflict.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-21, 11:31 AM
Q212

What are the rules regarding a phobia (specifically Hemophobia)? If they cannot be discussed here, which book/page can I find them?

Lossarim
2008-09-21, 12:32 PM
Q 213
Isn't there a feat in one of the many 3.5 books that allows spellcasters to aquire familiars as a wizard or sorcerer?

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-21, 12:42 PM
A213

Obtain Familiar (Complete Arcane Page 81)

Prerequisites: Arcane Caster 3rd level, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks.

You may obtain a Familiar as if you were a Sorcerer or a Wizard.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-21, 05:04 PM
Q214

If a monk were wearing spiked gauntlets, which damage value would be used? The monk's unarmed strike damage, or the spiked gauntlet damage?

If it is only the spiked gauntlet damage, is there any way to pernamently enhance your unarmed strike with a weapon enchantment?

Rubicon
2008-09-22, 04:07 AM
A214

A monk wearing spiked gauntlets uses either the gauntlet's damage or his unarmed strike damage. Furthermore, the spiked gauntlet is not listed in the monk's weapon proficiency list, so a monk attacking with a spiked gauntlet would suffer the non-proficiency penalty to attacks and be unable to use his flurry of blows ability. A gauntlet is considered an unarmed attack, whereas the spiked gauntlet is considered an armed attack (simple light weapon).

Gauntlet: This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack.
Gauntlet, Spiked: Your opponent cannot use a disarm action to disarm you of spiked gauntlets. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. An attack with a spiked gauntlet is considered an armed attack.

However, a monk's unarmed strike can be considered a manufactured weapon for the purpose of spells or effects (such as an enhancement bonus).

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

As an alternative, the spell Magic Fang, Greater is a candidate for Permanency. This enables the monk's unarmed strike to gain an enhancement bonus in the same way as any other natural weapon.

RTGoodman
2008-09-22, 11:36 AM
A 214 Continued

Also, there's the amulet of mighty fists (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#amuletofMightyFists) from the DMG/SRD that gives enhancement bonuses to hit and damage, and I think a necklace of natural attacks or something like that in Savage Species that actually lets you enchant your natural attacks.

Magnor Criol
2008-09-22, 12:32 PM
Q 215

The illumian vaul power sigil grants a bonus on "Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks." Does this apply to the Marshal's minor auras?

Adumbration
2008-09-22, 01:05 PM
Q. 216

In the first round of combat, before you've acted, you are flat-footed. Since casting Nerveskitter is an immediate action, and you can't use immediate actions while flat-footed, is the spell actually invalid?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-22, 02:33 PM
A 216

Errata for Spell Compendium have added this line to the description of Nerveskitter:
Unlike other immediate actions, you can cast this spell while flat-footed. (Note: Though Complete Arcane redefined Feather Fall as an immediate action spell, no exception has been made for that spell, so by the updated RAW you can't cast it while flat-footed.)

Curmudgeon
2008-09-22, 02:42 PM
A 215 Mostly no.
Minor Aura: A minor aura lets allies add the marshal's Charisma bonus (if any) to certain rolls.
Accurate Strike: Bonus on rolls made to confirm critical hits.
Art of War: Bonus on disarm, trip, bull rush, and sunder attempts.
Demand Fortitude: Bonus on Fortitude saves.
Determined Caster: Bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance.
Force of Will: Bonus on Will saves.
Master of Opportunity: Bonus to Armor Class against attacks of opportunity.
Master of Tactics: Bonus on damage rolls when flanking.
Motivate Charisma: Bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks.
Motivate Constitution: Bonus on Constitution checks and Constitution-based skill checks.
Motivate Dexterity: Bonus on Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks, and initiative checks.
Motivate Intelligence: Bonus on Intelligence checks and Intelligence-based skill checks.
Motivate Strength: Bonus on Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks.
Motivate Wisdom: Bonus on Wisdom checks and Wisdom-based skill checks.
Over the Top: Bonus on damage rolls when charging.
Watchful Eye: Bonus on Reflex saves.
A Charisma bonus added to a non-Charisma check doesn't make it a Charisma check, so the vaul sigil doesn't help with the Marshal's Minor Aura. Motivate Charisma is the obvious exception.

Chronos
2008-09-22, 04:13 PM
Motivate Charisma is the obvious exception.Even that's not an exception: The aura itself isn't improved by the sigil at all, since it's not a check. It's just that the aura and the sigil will both improve the same thing.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-22, 04:40 PM
You're correct, Chronos. The sigil doesn't help the Minor Aura directly at all. It provides a related benefit when the aura is used to Motivate Charisma, and no help with the other aura properties.

Ponce
2008-09-22, 06:49 PM
Q217

Looking for an item that I heard of. It is supposed to grant Improved Two-Weapon fighting if the wearer has TWF already. Any such item exist?

Epinephrine
2008-09-22, 07:26 PM
Q217

Looking for an item that I heard of. It is supposed to grant Improved Two-Weapon fighting if the wearer has TWF already. Any such item exist?

Gloves of the Balanced Hand, MIC, page 105

SoD
2008-09-23, 12:58 AM
Q. 218

I know that there are some ways to get feats without meeting the pre-reqs (monk stunning fist, ranger TWF, etc.). Is there any way to get Combat Expertise without int. 13?

Q. 219

Can you qualify for feats like Combat Expertise with an ability-boosting item to reach the required ability score? And if so, you would presumably qualify for a prestige class that needs that feat. What happens to:
A) The feat when you take the item off?
B) The Prestige Class you've already taken which has the feat as a pre-req?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-23, 01:11 AM
A. 218

I do not think so.

A. 219

Yes.

A.) You can no longer benefit from the feat.

B.) You no longer qualify for the prestige class, cannot progress further and lose the benefit of all class abilities derived thereoff.

Thurbane
2008-09-23, 02:03 AM
Q. 218

I know that there are some ways to get feats without meeting the pre-reqs (monk stunning fist, ranger TWF, etc.). Is there any way to get Combat Expertise without int. 13?

A. 218

I believe the "Passive Way" fighting style for Monks from Dragon 310 does so.

Frosty
2008-09-23, 02:08 AM
A. 218

I do not think so.

A. 219

Yes.

A.) You can no longer benefit from the feat.

B.) You no longer qualify for the prestige class, cannot progress further and lose the benefit of all class abilities derived thereoff.

So if a class (like Frenzied Berserker I think) requires Power Attack, and someone fires a Ray of Enfeeblement at you, dropping you below 13 strength, then you're suddenly without any of your Frenzied Berserker abilities?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-23, 02:21 AM
So if a class (like Frenzied Berserker I think) requires Power Attack, and someone fires a Ray of Enfeeblement at you, dropping you below 13 strength, then you're suddenly without any of your Frenzied Berserker abilities?

Complete Warrior IIRC introduced the rules regarding meeting prerequisites for prestige classes at all tiems and not just at the point of entry. They have also been supported by the FAQ.

However, there are prestige classes where these rules would contradict the whole prestige class, that is; by taking the prestige class you violate the prerequisites.

This contradiction is often used to argue against the whole set of rules or to argue that they are not general.

While I can understand the motivation for such attempts to discount the RAW, the more natural conclusion would be that any prestige class that violates its own prerequisites would be an exception to the general rules.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-23, 08:07 AM
So if a class (like Frenzied Berserker I think) requires Power Attack, and someone fires a Ray of Enfeeblement at you, dropping you below 13 strength, then you're suddenly without any of your Frenzied Berserker abilities? There is little doubt about Frenzied Berserker; you lose your abilities.

The rules about continually meeting PrC entry requirements appeared in just two places: initially on page 16 of Complete Warrior, and in a slightly different fashion in Complete Arcane. The prestige classes in these two books don't have any cases where class features would invalidate the PrC entry requirements (unlike, say, the core Dragon Disciple PrC).

Differing from Silvanos's position on this matter, I think the best take is to apply those rules only to the PrCs in the books in which they appear. My reasons:
The official Errata Rule:
When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. The Dungeon Master's Guide, which contains the Dragon Disciple PrC, is the primary source for rules about prestige classes. The CW page 16 rule would make the Dragon Disciple class invalid, so the primary source rule either
invalidates the CW page 16 rule entirely, or
reduces the scope to where there is no conflict.

The two rules are different. The CW rule says you lose class abilities and special features of the PrC. The CA rule says you only lose special features, so would, for instance, retain spells per day and spells known -- the primary benefits of those arcane PrCs.
Following Silvanos's opinion you're still in a quandary because the later CA rule reduces the scope of the CW page 16 rule by not stripping class features -- so which version of the rule applies? (If that's intended to be an actual update, the Complete Warrior Dervish class would retain its AC bonus under the less stringent Complete Arcane rule.) With my take you simply apply each rule to the book in which it appears, and there's no conflict.

Unless you take the extreme viewpoint and say that the primary source rule renders both of these invalid, the Frenzied Berserker still suffers the penalty because it's in Complete Warrior and thus subject to that book's penalty for not continuing to meet entry requirements.

poignant123
2008-09-23, 09:02 AM
Does fast healing from multiple sources stack?

Douglas
2008-09-23, 12:40 PM
You can no longer use the feat but you do still have it. The prerequisites for the class are thus still satisfied and you can still advance in the class and still gain full benefit of all class features - provided said class features don't require using the feat to get any benefit. To go with the Frenzied Berzerker hit with RoE example, you would not be able to use Supreme Power Attack but you would still be able to Frenzy. In the (very likely) event of Frenzy bringing your strength back up to 13 or higher, you would then be able to use Power Attack and whatever improved version of it you've got again.

wadledo
2008-09-23, 03:07 PM
Q. 221 Are there any full manifester PRC's other than Anarchic Initiates and Arch Psion?

@V: His is 220, not 221.

RTGoodman
2008-09-23, 03:46 PM
Q. 221 Are there any full manifester PRC's other than Anarchic Initiates and Arch Psion?

A 221

Well, there's the Cerebremancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/cerebremancer.htm), which is full manifesting, but it'll require you to spend some levels to get level 2 arcane spells.

Also, as an honorable mention, (Illithid) Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) only loses one level of manifesting but gets a bunch of other abilities.

If you're willing to go with 3rd party stuff, I'd be willing to bet that Untapped Potential by Dreamscarred Press probably has some.

EDIT: Stupid numbers...

Dode
2008-09-24, 12:20 AM
Q. 222 Let's say I'm a Spirit Shaman who has gotten his hands on turning attempts somehow. When I apply Divine Metamagic to a spell, do I apply the metamagic when I retrieve my spells for the day as per Spirit Shaman's unique metamagic rules? If not, why?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-24, 01:19 AM
Q. 223

How do Natural Attacks, Two-Weapon Fighting, and multiple attacks from BAB work with each other?

Frosty
2008-09-24, 01:42 AM
Q. 223

How do Natural Attacks, Two-Weapon Fighting, and multiple attacks from BAB work with each other?

A. 223 It depends on the natural attack. Some NAs can be done alongside attacks with manufactured weapons (or unarmed strike). In those cases, your BAB attacks is youe primary weapon, and are done normally. After that, you make attacks with all the natural attacks that are capabable of working with BAB attacks. Those are considered secondary attacks, nad all have a straight -5 penalty.

In terms of Two-weapon-fighting, that's all part of the standard BAB full-attack routine. The -2 you take whileTWF does not even affect your secondary natural attacks.

SoD
2008-09-24, 05:09 AM
Q. 224-on the Arcane Disciple of Boccob.

What book is this in? Or have I made up another Prestige Class trying to remember one?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-24, 08:34 AM
A 224

Perhaps you mean the Arcane Devotee? It's on page 48 of the Player's Guide to Faerûn (3.5) and page 40 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3.0).

Failing that, check the online Prestige Class Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc).

Chronos
2008-09-24, 12:00 PM
A 224 continued: There's a feat called Arcane Disciple, which requires you to worship a god, and adds the spells from one of that god's domains to your arcane spell list (with some restrictions). So a wizard who worshipped Boccob (a common choice for wizards) could take the feat to add the spells from the Knowledge domain, or Trickery or Magic, to his spell list. It'd be an odd choice, though, since most of those spells are already on the wizard list anyway.

monty
2008-09-24, 04:35 PM
Q 225

Can a contingency be used to counterspell? In other words, could I cast a contingency of X on the condition "when someone casts X" and then use it to counter the spell when it's activated? Also, can a contingent spell be countered, either through another contingency or a normal counterspell?

Q 226

When using UMD to emulate an ability score to cast from a scroll, does the effective score also apply to the DC, or only your regular ability score?

Chronos
2008-09-24, 05:20 PM
A 225: The spell stored in a Contingency must be one that targets you. So no, a contingent counterspell wouldn't work.

A 226: A spell cast from a wand or scroll is treated as having the minimum possible ability score, regardless of the score of the creator or user. A staff can use the ability score of the user, if it's higher, but there's some debate about how this interacts with UMD.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-24, 08:04 PM
Q 225

Can a contingency be used to counterspell?
A 225 Only indirectly.

Contingency can be used to trigger a spell that targets you. Battlemagic Perception (Heroes of Battle page 125) and Duelward (Spell Compendium pages 74-75) are spells that let you counterspell "on demand" -- i.e., without using a readied action. You would need to have a third spell, such as Dispel Magic, available for the actual counterspelling.

vargen
2008-09-25, 12:33 AM
Q227

When playing a race with 4 or more arms, can I use for example two bows and use normal feats on both of them like Manyshot? I think I need to take the multitask feat to be able to use both bows at the same time, or is there any other feat I should take?-.

Adumbration
2008-09-25, 05:10 AM
Q. 228

How does high BaB and natural attacks play together? Say I had four natural attacks, of which I can use two at a time according to the entry, and 10 BaB. What is the largest number of attacks I can get?

I'm playing the Abyssal Drake from Draconomicon, if you're curious.

SoD
2008-09-25, 05:32 AM
A. 228

You don't get extra natural attack from high BAB. However, all your primary natural attacks are a full attack, with your secondary attacks at -5.

The primary weapon is given in the creature’s Attack entry, and the primary weapon or weapons is given first in the creature’s Full Attack entry. A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus. Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a -5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a -2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity.

Q. 229 regarding the Asthetic Rogue.

Pre-reqs: improved unarmed strike, sneak attack +xd6.
Monk/Rogue level stack for unarmed damage, sneak attack, get special stunning fist stuff.

It looks like you don't actually need levels in monk. Can a straight rogue take this feat for good unarmed strike damages?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-25, 12:57 PM
A 229 No.

If you have levels in rogue and monk, those levels stack for the purpose of determining your unarmed strike damage. The Benefit section stipulates that you need levels in both classes to boost your unarmed strike damage.

Note: There is no such feat or class as "Asthetic Rogue" or "Aesthetic Rogue", though these seem to be popular aberrant spellings.

Curmudgeon
2008-09-25, 01:17 PM
A 227

If you have 4 or more hands you can fight with two bows simultaneously during a full attack without taking any extra feats (limited by your BAB for the primary bow, and to just one shot for the other). However, you will suffer -6 to all attacks with the bow that uses your primary hand, and -10 to the other bow, so you should take the Multiweapon Fighting feat (from the Monster Manual) to reduce those penalties to -4/-4. Improved Multiweapon Fighting and Greater Multiweapon Fighting are analogous to the TWF feats, and allow you to get more shots with your second bow.

You should note that some feats (like Manyshot) require a standard action to use and thus won't allow you to use your second bow. Other feats (like Rapid Shot) give their benefits per bow, not per arrow, so they're usable during a full attack and thus better suited to your aims.

EDIT:
I think I need to take the multitask feat to be able to use both bows at the same time
There is no "multitask" feat that I can find. Perhaps you were thinking of Multitasking, from Savage Species. The problem with this feat is that its benefit is stated in terms of partial actions -- a 3.0 rules convention -- and thus doesn't work with 3.5 D&D. Perhaps you could work with your DM to make appropriate 3.5 updates to Multitasking.

Chronos
2008-09-25, 10:28 PM
Note: There is no such feat or class as "Asthetic Rogue" or "Aesthetic Rogue", though these seem to be popular aberrant spellings.There is, however, such a thing as aesthetic rouge.

ColonelFuster
2008-09-26, 01:40 PM
Simple question... is Complete Scoundrel the only book with skill tricks in it, or can I find more?

RTGoodman
2008-09-26, 01:56 PM
A 230

Simple question... is Complete Scoundrel the only book with skill tricks in it, or can I find more?

(Please number your questions.)

As far as I know, there aren't any other WotC-published books that include Skill Tricks. There may be some obscure third-party books that do, but I've not heard of any.

Kredine
2008-09-26, 02:08 PM
Q231
What LA+0 Races are there that grant a charisma bonus?

RTGoodman
2008-09-26, 02:21 PM
A 231 Partial

Star Elves from the Forgotten Realms setting have -2 Con, +2 Cha, and some other stuff for +0 LA.

The Lesser Aasimar, from the Player's Guide to Faerun, is basically the same as the normal Aasimar but without the Outsider type and with no LA.

Spirit Hellbred (from Fiendish Codex II) have +2 Cha, -2 Con.

The Magic-Blooded template appeared in some Dragon Magazine issue and gives +2 Cha, -2 Wis for no LA.

For more, skim through THIS THREAD (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=697653) of LA +0 races.

TigerHunter
2008-09-26, 07:59 PM
Q232

Blindsense (Ex): A bat notices and locates creatures within 20 feet. Opponents still have 100% concealment against a creature with blindsense.

Could someone explain the italicized part?

(DnD 3.5 MM p. 269)

Douglas
2008-09-26, 08:04 PM
A232 (please remember to number your questions)
The bat knows what square everyone within 20' is in, but this does not negate any other benefits of whatever concealment any enemies may have. If the bat attacks an invisible opponent, it still has a 50% miss chance, cannot make sneak attacks or attacks of opportunity against that opponent, etc.

The blindsense ability takes care of the "find the opponent's square" part of dealing with invisible opponents, but no more than that.

TigerHunter
2008-09-26, 08:09 PM
A232 (please remember to number your questions)
The bat knows what square everyone within 20' is in, but this does not negate any other benefits of whatever concealment any enemies may have. If the bat attacks an invisible opponent, it still has a 50% miss chance, cannot make sneak attacks or attacks of opportunity against that opponent, etc.

The blindsense ability takes care of the "find the opponent's square" part of dealing with invisible opponents, but no more than that.
Much appreciated.

Frosty
2008-09-26, 09:34 PM
Q. 233 Where can I find the rules for Encumberance, Armor types, and flying capabilities? Some creatures can't fly when carrying more than a light load or something and I need to know these rules.

Rubicon
2008-09-27, 04:43 AM
A233
Encumbrance and carrying capacity are described on pages 161-162 of the PHB. The relevant information is tabulated on page 162, Tables 9.1 and 9.2

Flying and maneuverability is described on page 20 of the DMG, with Table 2.1 describing aerial maneuverability.

Frosty
2008-09-27, 02:04 PM
But none of that has the rules on what encumberance has on flight.

RTGoodman
2008-09-27, 02:33 PM
A 233 Continued

According to the Rules Compendium:

Fly
[...]
Most creatures can't fly if carrying a medium or heavy load. A creature's description takes precedence over these general rules.

Basically, it's on a creature-by-creature basis for the most part, with the general rule just being that you have to have less than a medium load to fly.

I know there are specific rules in the Dragon Wings-type feats in RoDragon that apply to Dragonwrought Kobolds with wings, but I can't think of any other specific mentions of encumbrance/armor and flying off the top of my head.

Douglas
2008-09-27, 02:34 PM
A233
That little detail is hidden away in the Monster Manual glossary on page 312 under Movement Modes. A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly)

Flight under a medium or heavy load is not generally possible, but armor does not appear to have any effect other than having its weight count towards the light load limit. If you have enough strength to wear full plate as a light load, you can fly unhindered even though it is heavy armor.