PDA

View Full Version : Making shirtlessness effective (3.5)

Glyde
2008-08-14, 10:15 PM
So, I've got all the mechanics down for an NPC except for one thing. He doesn't wear a shirt.

It's a big burly sailor with a harpoon, whose chest hair sadly cannot be used for AC. Almost all the books are available, but I'm pretty stumped on making him not get hit by a stiff breeze, and I'm trying hard not to house-rule anything.

Ryuuk
2008-08-14, 10:20 PM
Have the rope around his trousers be a Monk's Belt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#beltMonks)

Ganurath
2008-08-14, 10:20 PM
Give him heavily armored pants. Xena teaches us that armor can leave parts of the body uncovered and still be functional so long as it looks good.

Deepblue706
2008-08-14, 10:21 PM
Dodge. Combat Expertise. Two-Weapon Defense (The Tip and the Butt of the Harpoon obviously make two weapons). Amulet of Natural Armor. Ring of Protection. Fighting Defensively. Monk's Belt.

This class: The Unstoppable Force (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59097&highlight=Unstoppable+Force) (grants CON to AC).

The Demented One
Glamered armor, use a bit of DM fiat to have him either disguise it, or have it appear as something like tattoos or body hair.

Xyk
Swordsage? If he's big and burly, maybe use some tiger claw and stone dragon moves. level 2 gives wisdom bonus to AC.

EDIT: Glamered armor seconded.

The_Werebear
A level of Monk would give you wisdom to AC. If you can't do that, give him a monk's belt which will help. Random magic items like amulets of natural armor and rings of protection can give additional boosts.

Edit.
Wow, multininja.

shadow_archmagi
2008-08-14, 10:23 PM
Glamered armor, use a bit of DM fiat to have him either disguise it, or have it appear as something like tattoos or body hair.

Glass chain mail!

Or, how about:

When he was very young his mother gave him a protective magical tattoo where it wouldn't show.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-14, 10:24 PM
A high Dex score, bracers of armor, amulet of natural armor, ring of protection... hmm? Maybe Combat Expertise?

Dang, mega-ninja'ed...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-14, 10:31 PM
Make the Trident a Defending Parrying weapon. (Can let the weapon's +x apply to AC instead of attack, and +1 insight to AC and saves).

Collin152
2008-08-14, 10:31 PM
Dipped in the River Styx as a child?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-14, 10:36 PM
I know you said no homebrew, and the fluff and crunch probably wouldn't fit, but didn't Tayla make a Vow of Nudity for her Sorceress? Worth looking into.

Meat Shield
2008-08-14, 10:39 PM

Or, work with the DM to actually give him magical tattoos that give an armor bonus of some sort. Pay for them like you would normal armor plus a little maybe.

EDIT: darn, missed the 'no homebrew if possible'

Double Edit: shadow_archmagi said pretty much the same thing above. My bad.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-08-14, 10:41 PM
When he was very young his mother gave him a protective magical tattoo where it wouldn't show.
Ooh. I like it. It would be a homebrew, of course, which borders on a house rule. It could be either a feat or a magic item. I might stat one up later on, if you're interested.

Riffington
2008-08-14, 10:50 PM
Mage armor? (possibly his albatross has a level of Sorcerer)?

AstralFire
2008-08-14, 10:52 PM
My half-orc swordsage has gigantic adamantine gauntlets that he blocks attacks with. They are mechanically the same as a chain shirt.

Glyphic
2008-08-14, 10:53 PM
Buy armor, get the AC, then forget totally that you're wearing it. Especially if you fall off the boat.

Talanic
2008-08-14, 10:59 PM
Use the Naked Defense rules from Portable Hole full of Beer. Codpiece and bikini armor are fully effective then, as long as you are wearing nothing else; doubtless, a shirtless, burly sailor would count.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-14, 11:09 PM
Use the Naked Defense rules from Portable Hole full of Beer. Codpiece and bikini armor are fully effective then, as long as you are wearing nothing else; doubtless, a shirtless, burly sailor would count.

Best answer yet. :smalltongue:

Crow
2008-08-14, 11:10 PM
Bracers of Armor!

A pair of short, worn leather bracers would probably look good on this guy.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-08-14, 11:10 PM
I kinda just wanted to make this. No pressure to use it, though some brief (though not thread de-railing) critique appreciated.

Mark of the Sea
A powerful gift assigned to the lineages of people that have a strong bond to the ocean, the Mark of the Sea is a coveted boon to many sailors. The Mark manifests as a prominent tattoo of an ocean that covers the majority of the bearer's torso. The ocean features one marine creature of particular importance to the bearer, be it a sea serpent, a swordfish, an albatross, or any other creature appropriate to the bearer. The Mark offers several benefits to its bearer, all centered around survival at sea.

While immersed in any large body of water or traveling through it in a boat, ship, or submersible, the bearer of the Mark gains a +4 luck bonus to Armor Class and a +2 luck bonus to all saves while the tattoo is uncovered (any armor or vestment covering the torso negates these effects). In addition, the bearer is granted a +2 insight bonus to all Swim, Profession (Sailor), Profession (Fisherman) checks and Survival checks at sea. Finally, a bearer of the Mark of the Sea does not drown in any large body of water. If the bearer would die of drowning in such waters, he is instead rendered unconscious and is carried by the ocean to the most convenient location for assistance, possibly over the course of several days. This may be the nearest shore, a passing merchant ship, or an deserted island well-stocked with wild vegetation (all at DM discretion).

Strong Abjuration. Mage Armor Caster Level 5, 50,000 gp.

Irreverent Fool
2008-08-14, 11:17 PM
Bracers of Armor!

Surprised nobody mentioned that sooner. I second this. My warblade is currently wearing bracers of armor +8 (after a nasty incident with an ooze destroyed his platemail). The best part was, I'd been putting ranks into tumble, so as soon as the armor was off, the party sees the formerly slow and stompy bastard-sword wielding warblade start making with the tricky rogue-like combat moves.

Fun times.

There is also a build floating around here for the frostrager that allows CON bonus to AC twice.

The Demented One
2008-08-14, 11:19 PM
Bracers of Armor!

Or just use them, and fluff them as pants of armor.

Job
2008-08-14, 11:29 PM
If I recall correctly, there is official rule on one of the online recourses for ‘armor-less’ settings (nautical, renaissance, etc.) that give and intrinsic AC bonus dependent on a classes BAB progression. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit:Bingo! (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedDefence.html)

Lemur
2008-08-15, 12:06 AM
Without magic, there isn't much practical reason not to wear armor- in most environments. A sailor, for example, has good reasons not to wear armor, so I recommend having your NPC take advantage of this. If it were me, I'd have the character attack with his harpoon in most cases, or grapple if he's caught in close range and can't tumble away (an unarmored character definitely needs tumble and anything else that makes him more mobile, especially if he has a special ranged weapon).

Then, the water should become his ally. In a grapple, he should try to toss his opponent, or drag his opponent along with him, into the water, where he'll have the advantage as an unarmored character with ranks in swim. With the harpoon, he can use the rope to control the opponents movements in a similar manner, attempting to drag the opponent into the water, then climbing back into the ship/onto the docks.

He should also try to stay out of reach to use his ranged weapon, perhaps climbing the ship's rigging (the Thief-Acrobat prestige class might help with this) and attacking from generally hard to reach locations.

All this will take a backseat to magic of course, I'm just giving some suggestions in the case that your campaign setting isn't saturated with magic items.

sikyon
2008-08-15, 12:58 AM
So, I've got all the mechanics down for an NPC except for one thing. He doesn't wear a shirt.

It's a big burly sailor with a harpoon, whose chest hair sadly cannot be used for AC. Almost all the books are available, but I'm pretty stumped on making him not get hit by a stiff breeze, and I'm trying hard not to house-rule anything.

Obviously he's not meant for combat. You don't go into combat without armor unless you are extremly deterous/wisdom to AC/magic etc.

So fight in situations where no armor is a good thing. If he's a sailor, then have the fight take place in a storm on the deck of the ship. Dex check every round or be knocked prone, armor obviously kills the dex bonus.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-15, 01:45 AM
Fey Heritage/fey skin will net you some DR/cold iron. DR stacks if you combine it with a dip into warlock.

Thurbane
2008-08-15, 02:23 AM
Permanently invisible breastplate? :smallbiggrin:

only1doug
2008-08-15, 03:21 AM
As others have already said:

Bracers of Armour or an item granting Mage Armour (1/day should be enough for a sailor)

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-15, 03:35 AM
Easy solution. Have him go ninja. He doesn't wear a shirt? Woooo! He's invisible!

Tengu_temp
2008-08-15, 05:12 AM
Easy solution. Have him go ninja. He doesn't wear a shirt? Woooo! He's invisible!

A ninja pirate, you say?

JackMage666
2008-08-15, 05:19 AM
Maaaybe this. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) You'd have to talk your DM into allowing it, of course, but it's probably one of your safest bets - It's in Unearthed Arcana if he needs a WOTC book reference.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-15, 07:27 AM
Dipped in the River Styx as a child?

Phaugh! Bathed in dragon-blood.

Srsly though: bracers of armor, ring of protection, amulet of natural armor, and gloves of dexterity (or boots of dexterity).

Spiryt
2008-08-15, 07:32 AM
Make him go duelist.

Glyde
2008-08-15, 09:35 AM
Maaaybe this. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) You'd have to talk your DM into allowing it, of course, but it's probably one of your safest bets - It's in Unearthed Arcana if he needs a WOTC book reference.

Well, I *am* the DM for this. That defense bonus thing might be a little too much and might outshine the PCs by accident. I'll give it some thought though.

The NPC will be an ally to the PCs (Hopefully. It depends entirely on the group's decision). I'm probably going to stick with the 'very hard to hit' and houserule the harpoon being a double weapon for Two-Weapon defense.

Also, that mark of the ocean is pretty damn cool. I'll look into it.

He's totally domesticated a shark that follows the ship around, so for class he might have dipped into ranger. His role on the ship is to protect it from threats both in and out of the water, so being able to ride it would be pretty amazing.

The reason I'm trying to go for as many legit (Official, I should say) things here is because the players are relatively new, and I'm keeping NPC character sheets public so they can see what I've done to create these characters.

Aaand that Unstoppable Force PRC is very, very tempting. I may just have to slip it in:smallwink:

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 09:44 AM
Well, I *am* the DM for this. That defense bonus thing might be a little too much and might outshine the PCs by accident. I'll give it some thought though.

The NPC will be an ally to the PCs (Hopefully. It depends entirely on the group's decision). I'm probably going to stick with the 'very hard to hit' and houserule the harpoon being a double weapon for Two-Weapon defense.

Also, that mark of the ocean is pretty damn cool. I'll look into it.

He's totally domesticated a shark that follows the ship around, so for class he might have dipped into ranger. His role on the ship is to protect it from threats both in and out of the water, so being able to ride it would be pretty amazing.

The reason I'm trying to go for as many legit (Official, I should say) things here is because the players are relatively new, and I'm keeping NPC character sheets public so they can see what I've done to create these characters.

Aaand that Unstoppable Force PRC is very, very tempting. I may just have to slip it in:smallwink:

The defense bonus is always lower than what you could get from wearing the best armor for your class until 9th level and can never give you DR, which is much better than AC. Just a note.

Glyde
2008-08-15, 09:45 AM
Something I remember seeing a while back was a feat that allowed range disarms. Does anyone remember what book that would be in?

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 09:46 AM
Something I remember seeing a while back was a feat that allowed range disarms. Does anyone remember what book that would be in?

Complete Warrior. Also has ranged pin and I think ranged sunder.

Signmaker
2008-08-15, 09:53 AM

"He hurls his deadly harpoon at you, forged to slay mighty whales and sea creatures..."
"Aw crap!"
"It delivers a harsh blow to your hand, knocking your weapon away."
"DAMN-wait, what?"

Arcane_Snowman
2008-08-15, 10:21 AM
Complete Warrior, Range Disarm is the name of the Feat.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-15, 11:30 AM
Make him go duelist.

Way specialized, and you'll still need those bracers, rings, etc. Only now you'll also need maximized Int, too.

Arbitrarity
2008-08-15, 11:37 AM
"He hurls his deadly harpoon at you, forged to slay mighty whales and sea creatures..."
"Aw crap!"
"It delivers a harsh blow to your hand, knocking your weapon away."
"DAMN-wait, what?"

I had a Bloodstorm blade who took disarming strike, and wall of blades. He then dueled an archer (using IH class)

"I shoot you with an arrow... Natural 20! I roll to confirm... 35!"
"I knock your arrow off target with my spear."
"So.. no crit?"
"No"
"Fine, you take 14 damage"
Silly, but funny. He threw spears ridiculous distances, and they always came back. He disarmed at long range, dazed, and blocked arrows with a spear.

Glyde
2008-08-15, 12:42 PM
Alright, he seems to be done. A crazy strong burly sailor with a defending harpoon +3. I kinda ruled it that the rope is wrapped around his chest and that's the extra AC, heh.

I got him up to 23 AC with items, feats and ability bonuses, without the defending weapon. I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions in making this guy actually play as tough as he looks.

Human Fighter 8 / Unstoppable Force 1

Leewei
2008-08-15, 12:58 PM
Leadership feat; Awakened parrot cohort with Mounted Combat feat.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-15, 01:02 PM
Make the Parrot a multiclass Bard/Crusader focusing on White Raven, and First Mate.

Recaiden
2008-08-15, 01:05 PM
Ooh. I like it. It would be a homebrew, of course, which borders on a house rule. It could be either a feat or a magic item. I might stat one up later on, if you're interested.

Actually, that exact idea is given in the DM's Guide, and it suggests double the cost for a normal protective item.

Glyde
2008-08-15, 01:29 PM
He isn't the captain, so Leadership isn't part of his build.

He does ride a shark though.

Sebastian
2008-08-15, 01:39 PM
A level of Monk would give you wisdom to AC. If you can't do that, give him a monk's belt which will help. Random magic items like amulets of natural armor and rings of protection can give additional boosts.

Edit.
Wow, multininja.
Or you could re-fluff the monk to make it a kind of brawler class (and, no, I don't consider refluffing or minor changes to a class, to let him use his harpoon, for example, to be homebrew, I remember that on 3.0 thee was a paragraph/text box that suggested somethink like it (the one with move silently= footpading= rice-paper walking) You should change the higher level class abilities, maybe.

or else, give him an earring of protection. ;)

nargbop
2008-08-19, 11:25 PM
Body paint magical armor. Permanent Mage Armor.

Fizban
2008-08-20, 03:25 AM
That mark of the sea is indeed quite cool. How does one go about acquiring it? Would make a great excuse for "there's no way he could survive that"/ "left him for dead..."

I know what book you've been reading.