PDA

View Full Version : Eclectic Learning

Thurbane
2008-08-15, 02:34 AM
Just curious: how many of you houserule Eclectic Learning (PHB II p.67) for other classes (Beguiler, Dread Necromancer etc.) as well as for the Warmage? If so, how did it work out for you?

On a related note, how does this look as a homebrewed feat:

ECLECTIC LEARNING [GENERAL]

Prerequisites: Advanced Learning class feature, Spellcraft 6 ranks

Benefit: Each time you gain access to your Advanced Learning class feature, you may instead add one spell of any School of Magic from the Sorcerer / Wizard Spell List to your list of Known Spells. The spell counts as one level higher than normal, so Mirror Image would be a 3rd level spell (instead of a 2nd as usual).

Special: You may alternate between ‘Advanced Learning’ and ‘Eclectic Learning’ as desired.

Burley
2008-08-15, 07:59 AM
I actually really like that feat, Thurbane. I'm gonna suggest that to my beguiler player. Maybe he'll stop ending my encounters with his ridiculous save-or-ruintheencounter spells.

Kaelaroth
2008-08-15, 08:03 AM
I actually really like that. Next time my lot do a 3.5 campaign, I'll try and get the DM to houserule it in.

Decoy69
2008-08-15, 08:40 AM
It looks useful and like it would actually work. Not too powerful that everyone would want it. And not too restrictive either.

Good Job.

Person_Man
2008-08-15, 08:59 AM
I've never allowed it before. But I'd be open to it. It'd depend on the overall power level of the party. Sometimes the party is all melee and Skill focused, in which case something like a well played Beguiler is the most potent member without any house rule help. But if its a Tome of Battle and full caster jamboree, then I'd allow it.

Sinfire Titan
2008-08-15, 10:30 AM
I actually really like that feat, Thurbane. I'm gonna suggest that to my beguiler player. Maybe he'll stop ending my encounters with his ridiculous save-or-ruintheencounter spells.

Its not a feat, its an alternate class feature from the PH2. Normally, its only available to Warmages.

Te'Shen
2008-08-15, 11:24 AM
Just curious: how many of you houserule Eclectic Learning (PHB II p.67) for other classes (Beguiler, Dread Necromancer etc.) as well as for the Warmage? If so, how did it work out for you?. . .Fine actually. The one spell level penalty balances the versatility quite well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-08-15, 11:27 AM
I've played a Beguiler and a Dread Necromancer, and I wouldn't have used that for either character. Beguiler already gets plenty of versatility in picking from Illusion or Enchantment spells, and I prefer to play Dread Necromancer as an entourage and there are quite a few Necromancy spells from several sources that are fairly necessary to pull it off (Awaken Undead). If made available as a class feature variant to be taken if desired just like for Warmage I'd maybe consider using it for one of those classes, but it definitely would not be worth spending a feat on.

Thinker
2008-08-15, 11:47 AM
Its not a feat, its an alternate class feature from the PH2. Normally, its only available to Warmages.

The OP has a homebrewed feat in the first post.

JaxGaret
2008-10-15, 06:08 PM
I'm actually happier just allowing the player to customize the entire spell list themselves - still must be thematically appropriate, and with DM approval, of course.

Sorry about the off-topicness here. Your idea is just fine, of course, OP :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2008-10-16, 02:01 AM
Thanks. Your idea certainly has merit, but is a lot more dependant on a lenient DM.

Kaiyanwang
2008-10-16, 05:47 AM
I use Eclectic Learning as PHII for every class has advanced learning. It's quasi-official, IMHO (and makes game better). I allow it to one of my player, rolled a Beguiler (gestalt Ranger//Beguiler actually)

(ehr..noticed now the topic, sorry for my slow reaction :smallredface:)