PDA

View Full Version : A New Kind of Pokemon

Burley
2008-08-15, 08:33 AM
I'm not gonna lie: I love Pokemon. I always have, and I hopefully always will. However, since I've played SSB:Brawl, I've been yearning for more than just a bunch of text and mild animation. I want interactivity. Synergocity, y'know?

I think, the next great Pokemon game should be like that of the SSB series: A platform combat game. I'm tired of just picking one of four attacks, and having nothing else. Are you telling me that once my pickachu has better moves, he completely loses the ability to bite or scratch? NONSENSE! I say, you make your 4 special moves your B-button moves, and your A-button is the normal attacks. Of course, the pokedex may be a little more limited in this game, but a remake of Blue/Red in this style would have me waiting in line three days before the release date.

What do y'all think? Am I too crazy to be crizazy?

Istari
2008-08-15, 08:40 AM
I agree, it would have to be 3d of course which would allow players to take advantage of the enviorntment when battleing.

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 08:43 AM
The Mystery Dungeon games are (vaguely) like this. I prefer the games as they are for strategy (just wish the single player wasn't so damn repetitive), but I wouldn't mind a PokéBrawl side game.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-08-15, 08:55 AM
I believe this to be an awsome idea.

I liked the Pokemon series, but I've gotten pretty bored of it since it's now the EXACT same game over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over andoverandoverandoverandoverandover............... .
(The mystery dungeon games, to a certain extent, brake this rule. They are origanal but I doubt they will be for much longer.)

The Pokemon guys need a new kind of game! Pokebrawl sounds like the next logical step.

I'd buy it.

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 09:07 AM
I believe this to be an awsome idea.

I liked the Pokemon series, but I've gotten pretty bored of it since it's now the EXACT same game over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over andoverandoverandoverandoverandover............... .
(The mystery dungeon games, to a certain extent, brake this rule. They are origanal but I doubt they will be for much longer.)

The Pokemon guys need a new kind of game! Pokebrawl sounds like the next logical step.

I'd buy it.

The mystery dungeon games are by no means original, they're a long series of mostly carbon-copy dungeon crawl games that only recently made it over here.

The multiplayer aspect's far from stale, though, D/P was a particularly exciting generation in that respect.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-08-15, 10:54 AM
The mystery dungeon games are by no means original, they're a long series of mostly carbon-copy dungeon crawl games that only recently made it over here.

Well, I thought the story of the myster dungeon games were origanal compared to the other Pokemon games. And I haven't really played any of these "dungeon crawl games" so the gameplay is new to me, ad least.

Geno9999
2008-08-15, 12:58 PM
I'm not gonna lie: I love Pokemon. I always have, and I hopefully always will. However, since I've played SSB:Brawl, I've been yearning for more than just a bunch of text and mild animation. I want interactivity. Synergocity, y'know?

I think, the next great Pokemon game should be like that of the SSB series: A platform combat game. I'm tired of just picking one of four attacks, and having nothing else. Are you telling me that once my pickachu has better moves, he completely loses the ability to bite or scratch? NONSENSE! I say, you make your 4 special moves your B-button moves, and your A-button is the normal attacks. Of course, the pokedex may be a little more limited in this game, but a remake of Blue/Red in this style would have me waiting in line three days before the release date.

THAT... just might work. Custom selection of moves for a said pokemon, keeping the standard moves.

Burley
2008-08-15, 01:15 PM
It would actually give reason to actively trying to get new moves, or keeping old ones.
Imagine... Oh yes! The moves! The beatutiful Dragon Rage, Hyper Beam, and...oh... Double Team...

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 01:18 PM
It would actually give reason to actively trying to get new moves, or keeping old ones.
Imagine... Oh yes! The moves! The beatutiful Dragon Rage, Hyper Beam, and...oh... Double Team...

Well, a lot of the best moves are actually pretty hard to get. It's not like R/B where you're set once something has a Fire Blast, Surf, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Body Slam, Ice Beam or Earthquake TM attached to it.

Atomsized
2008-08-15, 01:59 PM

You know, that might not be a bad idea :smallwink:. If it came out, i would be willing to try it. Though I'm assuming you mean a spin-off of some sort, not actually replacing the line of series that is going on right now.

Rogue 7
2008-08-15, 02:35 PM
In my opinion, that's how pokemon stadium should have been. I remember, back in the day, the first Pokemon league finals from the anime. That's the style of battle I want- fast, fighting game-esque. Speed and reflexes would probably dominate, making certain pokemon kind of useless, and double team would be a pain in the rear to program in. Saying that, I'd love to play something like that.

Sledge_bro
2008-08-15, 03:16 PM
They could do it in the form of a jump ultimate stars style game. Crisp 2D Pokemon Sprites means that there won't be any blocky 3D.

That would be awesome :smallcool:

Mr._Blinky
2008-08-15, 03:25 PM
Now see, what I really want is a Pokemon MMO.

Think of the possibilities...

Burley
2008-08-15, 03:57 PM
Pokemmon? No, I would probably picket that. There are too many annoying people on the Diamon/Pearl areas. Having the entire internet open up?
I don't want to ever see things like "Ur Rhinox is teh Suxorz!!!1!!111onebanana!"
I hate that so much, and I don't want my ever-evolving critters to be slandered by such filth!

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 03:58 PM
Pokemmon? No, I would probably picket that. There are too many annoying people on the Diamon/Pearl areas. Having the entire internet open up?
I don't want to ever see things like "Ur Rhinox is teh Suxorz!!!1!!111onebanana!"
I hate that so much, and I don't want my ever-evolving critters to be slandered by such filth!

I've been MMOing for years and I have to say the preponderance of dumb speech is actually pretty easy to avoid.

Revlid
2008-08-15, 05:49 PM
I've been MMOing for years and I have to say the preponderance of dumb speech is actually pretty easy to avoid.

Sure, by blocking EVERYONE. :-/

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 05:51 PM
Sure, by blocking EVERYONE. :-/

Or by finding a group of people you like and sticking primarily around them. The random idiocy is hard to avoid in decentralized gaming networks because clans, guilds, monarchies, etc are nearly impossible to build in that environs. A full MMO does not have these issues.

GryffonDurime
2008-08-15, 06:51 PM
For my money, I think the biggest leap they could make to take the series in a new direction while remaining faithful to the spirit of the franchise would be a 3-D roaming world with Pokemon battling of their own accord once you let them loose. Granted, we'd need to deepen the personalities in full-fledged AIs, but trainers could still call strategy in battle, with some pokemon being more loyal than others.

That, for my money, would probably be the best--especially if you could actually do some organic training with your pokemon to increase their capabilities and their loyalty. Maybe even hide the statistical numbers altogether! It would certainly make Breeders ala Brock, those who just enjoy raising pokemon, a viable archetype.

Likewise, if the modelers would get wiser with 3-D, there's a lot of little randomizers that could lead to varied appearances of any given species of pokemon.

...None of this will ever happen.

Zeful
2008-08-15, 07:15 PM

If this happens I will buy the game and name my new fire-type Mario. This could be the best thing to happen to the franchise in a long time. You'd have to either remove the 2 vs. 2 element or just assign an Ai to your second. (or leave it for the multiplayer only.)

Also you could make the A button four phyisical moves, stuff like quick attack and tackle, and then B as any special or TM/HM moves, like blizzard or Cut.

It would be so cool.

Knaight
2008-08-15, 07:26 PM
I like it, and I'm thinking if it were 2d it would work really well. Much like super smash bros really, but where you can replace moves. As for 2v2, multiplayer would work here.

Zeful
2008-08-15, 07:42 PM
You can even have the trainers get hit for funny effects (freeze, burn, smoking and so forth). No damage or death just lol factor.

I'd find it funny the first couple of times.

chiasaur11
2008-08-15, 08:06 PM
For my money, I think the biggest leap they could make to take the series in a new direction while remaining faithful to the spirit of the franchise would be a 3-D roaming world with Pokemon battling of their own accord once you let them loose. Granted, we'd need to deepen the personalities in full-fledged AIs, but trainers could still call strategy in battle, with some pokemon being more loyal than others.

That, for my money, would probably be the best--especially if you could actually do some organic training with your pokemon to increase their capabilities and their loyalty. Maybe even hide the statistical numbers altogether! It would certainly make Breeders ala Brock, those who just enjoy raising pokemon, a viable archetype.

Likewise, if the modelers would get wiser with 3-D, there's a lot of little randomizers that could lead to varied appearances of any given species of pokemon.

Could be fun.
Has some similarities, with my limited knowledge of the latter series, with monster rancher.

Copacetic
2008-08-15, 09:15 PM

It would be, without a doubt, the biggest step to making a better pokemon game. Of course, this will never happen for exactly that reason. The game makers don't want to take steps to making a better game, they want to copy+paste the exact same game from the last generation and give it new sprites.

That idea also has merit.

Oeep Snaec
2008-08-15, 09:55 PM
What might also be good is allowing you to have access to more than 4 attacks, and being able to pick and choose certain combinations of 4 attacks for different battles. This way you could have attacks that paralyze and put to sleep for boss monster battles, and your power moves for the elite 4, all from the same pokemon.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-15, 10:17 PM
It sounds alot better then a nethack style game.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-15, 10:26 PM
Good spinoff game. But changing the Version formula is going to make people upset more than it will please people. It works for a reason. The games are fun as is.

I'd love to see some more real-time pokemon battles, but not in the main games.

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 10:59 PM
It would be, without a doubt, the biggest step to making a better pokemon game. Of course, this will never happen for exactly that reason. The game makers don't want to take steps to making a better game, they want to copy+paste the exact same game from the last generation and give it new sprites.

This is again, only the case if you're only playing Pokemon for the single player. The multiplayer metagame has gone through an extremely drastic change with each version, though Gen II --> Gen III remains the biggest shake-up.

Zeful
2008-08-15, 11:12 PM
How was the change from Gold/Silver to Ruby/Sapphire the biggest changeup?

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 11:22 PM
How was the change from Gold/Silver to Ruby/Sapphire the biggest changeup?

1) The big one. Stat EXP being replaced with Effort Values. Previously it was possible for your pokemon to achieve their maximum stat value in every category. In RSEFrLg you could only max out two of your stats at max, though stat growth came a lot faster. This meant that you couldn't run max Defense, S. Defense, and HP all at once along with superhigh attack.

The result was that the metagame in GSC which was extremely stall-heavy (and often considered boring as a result) went to a fast, more sweeper-dependent style. (Although the mixed sweeper went for the same reason mixed walls did.) In GSC, you -needed- a heal beller/aromatherapist, anything that could learn recover DID take recover (except maybe Starmie and even that was iffy) and Rest was great because Toxic teams couldn't hurt you while you were sleeping.

2) Abilities adding a new dimension entirely to each pokemon beyond their stats, move pools, and types.

3) As with every generation, new pokés, new moves, and new type combos.

D/P, while a big shake-up with its Phys/Special redistribution, has not nearly changed as much. Wobbuffet, Blissey and Skarmory are practically the only three pokemon who walked out of GSC and into RSE with virtually the same roles as they did prior with approximately the same effectiveness. By contrast, many of the overused sweepers from RSE (Salamence, Tyranitar, Machamp, Gyarados, etc) remain so in DP, while some of the new additions (Garchomp) play similarly.

DPs biggest contribution was dethroning the overpopulation of Bulky Slow Water types, completing the redistribution from superdefense to balanced defense and offense.

Diddgery
2008-08-16, 10:50 AM
They just need to change the formula. The basic gameplay mechanics can stay the same, but the reason Pokemon has become stale is because every game has the same story in a different region. You get your starter and travel the world to collect eight badges and defeat the Elite Four to become the League Champion, occasionally taking stops along the way to fight with an evil Team of some sort who may or may not plan to summon a legendary Pokemon that you will then fight after the seventh gym.

Of course, when they tried something different (Colosseum and XD), it wasn't received all too well. I think the problem with that was the Shadow Pokemon deal, though. It was a cool idea, but being almost unable to catch any regular wild Pokemon makes it very difficult to vary your team. Also the areas in that game were kind of boring, but that's just me.

Uncle Festy
2008-08-18, 09:27 AM
That… actually sounds like a cool idea. It might actually manage to get me interested in Pokemon again.
Of course, since it would be on a non-PC gaming system (and I don't have one, other then an outdated GBA), the whole point is moot anyways.
Ah well. Still a cool idea.

Oeep Snaec
2008-08-18, 11:25 AM
I think a first-person pokemon game similar in style to the elder scrolls series would be fun on PC

coston89
2008-08-19, 12:17 AM
A combat style a la FFT would be good for the series in my book by the terrain having a large effect in battle, more than four moves available at one time(but with some kind of limit of course :smalltongue: ), and larger scale battles would be awesome although I hope for a Pokemon MMO sometime in the future.

Sam
2008-08-29, 02:53 AM
Honestly, a new direction for pokemon would be nice... something like Pokémon Adventures level of plot with a mallable environment.

Anyway, the series has become iconic- in a few years I can even picture it "I choose you Abrams!"

Now, if I can only find the person who said it first... I steal ALL my jokes from them.

Triaxx
2008-08-29, 06:17 AM
Pokemon FFT style? Now that's an awesome idea. Four moves is nice, but if you take them and split them into offense and defense? Much better.

Drascin
2008-08-29, 06:30 AM
Pokemon FFT style? Now that's an awesome idea. Four moves is nice, but if you take them and split them into offense and defense? Much better.

Yeah. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Something ala Mystery Dungeon where you control only the pokemon, but instead of being a pair of pokes in a roguelike-style, being able to have a whole brigade of them and use them in tactical battle in FFT fashion. Also, I can foresee flying types being most awesome, despite their many and common weaknesses, in such setup - yay ignoring obstacles.

chiasaur11
2008-08-29, 12:04 PM
Yeah. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Something ala Mystery Dungeon where you control only the pokemon, but instead of being a pair of pokes in a roguelike-style, being able to have a whole brigade of them and use them in tactical battle in FFT fashion. Also, I can foresee flying types being most awesome, despite their many and common weaknesses, in such setup - yay ignoring obstacles.

I'd say ghosts with Levitate would be even better, if you could get them.

Walk through walls, fly over walls, whichever.

They'd be able to get anywhere.

Triaxx
2008-08-29, 01:16 PM
Hmm... FFT turn based? Or TO:KoL Turn based? Merits to both. But when you realize you can actually run it in a three-dimensional battle space, instead of mere 2D? And the ability to have the full six pokemon team on the field at once?

Not to mention certain attacks, like Blizzard or Earthquake which can effect the entire area at once. Or Rain Dance that lets you turn the tide of battle, literally.