PDA

View Full Version : Masque of the Red Death

Verderben
2008-08-15, 08:35 AM
Hello, everyone.
The RPGA Living Death website had a free .pdf of rules pertaining to the Masque of the Red Death campaign setting, an offshoot of the Ravenloft line set in Gothic Earth.
However, the website is now defunct and the .pdf consequently unavailable. Does anyone retain this .pdf or know where I can find a functional copy?
Thank you very much and have a wonderful day!

hamlet
2008-08-15, 08:45 AM
Try the secrets of the kartagane website (www.kartagane.com).

They might have something.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-15, 09:10 AM
One hears that eMule is an amazing source of out-of-print RPG books/scans/ebooks, although it will take patience, luck, and time. But you can get things that went out of print in the 70s there.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-15, 11:08 AM
I was surprised to discover that I couldn't find the TSR Masque of the Red Death at RPGNOW for a $4.95 PDG just the $17.50 Sword and Sorcery PDF.

bosssmiley
2008-08-15, 11:53 AM
paizo.com - $4 old edition pdfs ("Thaaaarsands ov 'em!").

I betcha they have it. :smallwink:

SpikeFightwicky
2008-08-15, 12:48 PM
Am I the only one that bought the book? Cool setting, but I never once found a group to play it.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-15, 01:21 PM
No I have it probably my favorite among the Ravenloft series really like the "A Guide to Gothic Earth" expansion book.

hamishspence
2008-08-15, 01:29 PM
I have the Dragon mag with small Masque article, but not 2nd ed setting.

Verderben
2008-08-16, 09:31 AM
Thank you all for your prompt responses.
While the original second edition Masque of the Red Death book(s) would certainly be interesting, the .pdf in question was a third edition update of the setting with new rules. It was never technically in print, so purchasing it may not be an option.
As for the kartagane website, I remember having seen the site before, but I cannot seem to open it. Instead, I find the same screen as when I attempt to open the original RPGA Living Death campaign website, telling me that the website cannot be found. If you can still open the kartagane website successfully, then perhaps the problem is with my browser.
Either way, thanks for your help, and if anyone does find this particular .pdf, I would very much appreciate a location.
Have a wonderful day!

AndromedaRPG
2008-08-16, 12:21 PM
Try www.archive.org. That may have the site available in its archives, and therefore you may be able to download the PDF.

It's worth a shot, at least :smallbiggrin:

Verderben
2008-08-17, 03:28 PM
Whoa...

You weren't kidding. That archive is awesome!

Thanks so much!

AndromedaRPG
2008-08-17, 05:40 PM
Whoa...

You weren't kidding. That archive is awesome!

Thanks so much!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

ken-do-nim
2008-08-17, 05:51 PM
Am I the only one that bought the book? Cool setting, but I never once found a group to play it.

Yup I have the 2nd edition Masque of the Red Death supplement and I really like it - though some of the adventures in typical Ravenloft fashion have railroad endings that I'd have to change.

I think it is a direct challenge to Call of Cthulhu. That is the H.P. Lovecraft 1920s rpg, so this is the Edgar Allen Poe / Arthur Conan Doyle 1890s rpg.

hamlet
2008-08-18, 07:24 AM
Yup I have the 2nd edition Masque of the Red Death supplement and I really like it - though some of the adventures in typical Ravenloft fashion have railroad endings that I'd have to change.

I think it is a direct challenge to Call of Cthulhu. That is the H.P. Lovecraft 1920s rpg, so this is the Edgar Allen Poe / Arthur Conan Doyle 1890s rpg.

The problem that Masque of the Red Death had was the same problem that most mid to late TSR products (and pretty much ALL WOTC products) had: it had a plot railroad running through it that woke the neighbors.

However, the setting was astonishingly good, especially if you put the kibosh on running it like a standard campaign and settled into an episodic, pulp horror sort of thing where the situations between adventures are glossed over entirely with a few lines of exposition. Don't worry about a story, just make something up to get them from one adventure to the next. It works better.

Thank you all for your prompt responses.
While the original second edition Masque of the Red Death book(s) would certainly be interesting, the .pdf in question was a third edition update of the setting with new rules. It was never technically in print, so purchasing it may not be an option.
As for the kartagane website, I remember having seen the site before, but I cannot seem to open it. Instead, I find the same screen as when I attempt to open the original RPGA Living Death campaign website, telling me that the website cannot be found. If you can still open the kartagane website successfully, then perhaps the problem is with my browser.
Either way, thanks for your help, and if anyone does find this particular .pdf, I would very much appreciate a location.
Have a wonderful day!

You can also check out amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Masque-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Ravenloft-Campaign/dp/1588469794/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219062122&sr=1-3

I've never read this book, but it bills itself as the same thing but with 3.x stats.

Personally, I wouldn't be playing d20 system in Ravenloft, most certainly not in the Gothic Earth setting. It just . . . rubs the wrong way. But then again, I'm the guy who played a Gothic Earth mini-campaign where, instead of 3d6 for stats, everybody rolled 2d6. It made things very . . . interesting.