PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Leaf on the Wind and dead catgirls

The New Bruceski
2008-08-15, 01:05 PM
Leaf on the Wind, Warlord 1E, lets you or an adjacent ally swap places with the target. It's nifty, quite useful, but it works oddly with reach weapons. With a longspear I can get quite a bit more mobility out of the power, but anywhere the enemy has cover it breaks down, as written.

Imagine I'm using it to attack over an ally, and then switch positions with the enemy; that's reasonable because the ally would cooperate. What if the space between us was occupied by an enemy? Have I just managed to waltz around a guy trying to kill me? Similarly there is an issue if there's static cover in the way. One situation that came up the other day was a barricade of spears--pointed against me but enough space between to not be full cover. Does LotW somehow allow me to bypass the obstacle, plopping the hobgoblin who was relying on it on the other side?

Note: this is for thinking about, not a character in risk of total collapse. In my campaign the DM and I have agreed to keep it to common sense, and if I go to far he's allowed to say "you can't do that" without me whining.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-15, 01:07 PM
Stab the enemy on your spear. Make your friend grab the other side. Spin.

Basically, I'd imagine that this power involves some crazy kung-fu when you're doing it with a reach weapon. Nothing bad in Warlords doing that, if you ask me - they're already made from Rule of Cool.

chiasaur11
2008-08-15, 01:09 PM

A spear in the middle of "A leaf in the wind." How appropriate.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-15, 01:13 PM
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/baw.PNG

Worira
2008-08-15, 01:14 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Stabhochsprung_Aufrollen.jpg

Crow
2008-08-15, 01:15 PM

Great visual!

chiasaur11
2008-08-15, 01:15 PM
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/baw.PNG

Ahhahaha! Mine is an evil laugh.

Siegel
2008-08-15, 01:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Stabhochsprung_Aufrollen.jpg

You sire have epic win. Thank you, i had a good laugh :smallbiggrin:

TwystidMynd
2008-08-15, 02:00 PM
Does LotW somehow allow me to bypass the obstacle, plopping the hobgoblin who was relying on it on the other side?

In my games, I treat the rules as written as long as there's a perceptible chance at it happening.

If a friendly is between you and your target: leaf on the wind can be desribed as above, using the spinning spear maneuver.
If an enemy is between you and your target: leaf on the wind can be described as using the two ends of your spear to fend both enemies off, and then grabbing your target, tossing him backwards, and then darting behind his ally before stabbing at him.
If a corner is between you and your target: leaf on the wind can be described as feinting your enemy until he's not in cover, then diving in for the strike in a dramatic 2-second wrestle, until you two have spun, and then you both duck behind cover again (having switched places).
If a wall that doesn't grant superior cover is between you and your target: leaf on the wind can be described as pole-vaulting and then kicking the opponent back towards where you came.

People who have more creative minds may come up with more plausible, realistic explanations, but if it *could* be done, then I usually allow it. Since the rules are designed around the abilities working as written, plus the fact that the PCs are supposed to be able to accomplish awesome, heroic feats which we cannot accomplish ourselves, I'm willing to give a bit of leeway.

Hzurr
2008-08-15, 02:14 PM
I'm willing to give a bit of leeway.

More like, "A little leafway!"

*Bad-dum chhhh*

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

spamoo
2008-08-15, 04:33 PM
More like, "A little leafway!"

*Bad-dum chhhh*

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

Not if I have anything to say about it...

Erk
2008-08-15, 06:23 PM
I actually rather liked a suggestion I saw once: in such relatively difficult to envision circumstances, require the player to describe exactly what s/he is doing with the spear. If the player can't think of a description, then s/he is limited to using close-reach weapons to do the Leaf on the Wind power.

your mileage may vary, of course.

Bandededed
2008-08-15, 06:47 PM
Don't allies grant you cover from enemies? Then enemies must grant cover to their allies, thus if you couldn't target an enemy behind an enemy, if that makes sense.