PDA

View Full Version : Need New (Good!) Books

Pearl
2008-08-15, 01:53 PM
The Story Thus Far: At a low point in my life, on a thursday school day I wasn't in class, I hit up a bookstore looking for a quick, cheap, reader's high. I went straight for the fiction section, specifically, the part of the store where adjusted for inflation a quick hit is but a dime away.

I bought a Marvel Ultimates book. It tickled my OCD fancies and I lost my troubles in the time it took to read, re-read, and think over the convoluted and engaging stories.

A year and a half later I wake up with several bookshelves crammed with super-hero crap and an empty wallet. I mean, I had six volumes of Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther and Jeph Loeb's Wolverine: Evolution. Things had to change. But I still loved comics; it's a medium that I can really connect with and has a lot of unique advantages, some of which are helped by the average book's obscurity.

What I now plead of the posters here is a list of essential, modern, comics. I'm not looking to be an indie kid or a marvel zombie, but I do want to read the best stuff put out today regardless of publisher.

My list of books I would have liked without the haze of obsessive, blind purchasing:

Alan Moore
1.Watchmen (but of course!)
2.V for Vendetta
3.League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (1 & 2)

The Ultimates

Supreme Power

Chris Priest's Black Panther

Phonogram

Army of Darkness (But it's a weakness)

Sin City

Interested in:
Y: The Last Man
100 Bullets
Loveless
Sandman (I guess)
Brian K Vaughn's stuff, Warren Ellis'
Vertigo overall

I know there's a lot more than that, though. This thread is your excuse to blabber endlessly about how good your pet book is, because I want to hear about it.

Modern is a plus, by the way. I'd rather read a good book that came out last week than last decade's classic. Comics as they are over how they were and all that.

TopRamen
2008-08-15, 02:05 PM
Sandman (I guess)
You guess? No hope for you...

For purely fun comics, I loved the Cable/Deadpool series. I think they made TPBs outta them at some point.

I've read all the Y series and about 20 of the 100 bullets(so far) and I'd recommend them both highly. I felt Y kinda slacked off at the end, but, meh, maybe that's just me.

WitchSlayer
2008-08-17, 12:35 AM
I can highly recommend Superman: Up Up and Away.

Parlik
2008-08-18, 04:04 AM
Well if you are into Vertigo, there is the Lucifer series, should be able to pick all of them up as tpb now, I collected it as it came out and rather enjoyed it. Sandman is a must though if you like Vertigo, hmm what else is there from Vertigo... The two limited Death series, and the one they published where there was a story about each of the Eternals in it, name eludes at the moment, should pick up and read the Sandman first though, great story.

tetsubo
2008-08-18, 07:05 AM
Walking Dead. I just reasently reas the whole run. Amazing series. I belive that most of it is out in trade as well.

If you like Brian K Vaughn's stuff I would recomend Ex Machina as well and also Runaways. Volume 1 more then volume 2 but two was good as well.

As for Warren Ellis the first 2 traded of authority is good as well but it has lost some of its impact now that its older.

Joss's run on Astonishing X-men is great too. I would definatly go with the first trade. After that it seemed to decrease for me in quality after that.

sikyon
2008-08-18, 10:41 PM
I would strongly advise the Ultimate Spiderman series. Also, ultimates 3 is terrible. Current Thor is beautiful in art and good in story.

BRC
2008-08-19, 08:23 AM
I highly recommend Transmetropolitan by warren Ellis.

Finn Solomon
2008-08-19, 08:30 AM
I can attest to the addictive power of Vertigo. Y the Last Man is a fantastic, smart read with plenty of humour and an awesome story. Compared to Ultimates 2 which I bought with high hopes but ended up pretty much not liking it. Millar is a simplistic writer and his stories are standard and straightforward, whereas guys like Vaughan and Ellis will give you a read that you will think about long after you've put down the book.

comicshorse
2008-08-20, 06:39 PM
I'd actually like to take a controversial step and NOT recommend one of your choices.
100 Bullets- while the writer does a fine hard boiled detective story, he does the SAME hard-boiled detective story over and over.

For me I'd recommend Fables and Garth Ennis's run on the Punisher (r.i.p.)

tetsubo
2008-08-21, 06:48 AM
I'd actually like to take a controversial step and NOT recommend one of your choices.
100 Bullets- while the writer does a fine hard boiled detective story, he does the SAME hard-boiled detective story over and over.

For me I'd recommend Fables and Garth Ennis's run on the Punisher (r.i.p.)

I agree, I tried 100 Bullets and got about 30 issues in and I just gave up. I just started reading fables which is good so far as is the punisher.

chiasaur11
2008-08-21, 11:55 AM
Hmm...
Astro City is awesome, as is Superman: Secret Identity.

And if you want some basic robot vs. Nazis, Pyramids, and giant insects fun, there's Atomic Robo.

And Hellboy is always fun.

Hzurr
2008-08-21, 01:07 PM
I was pleasently suprised with Sandman when I finally got around to picking it up (mainly because of its repeated praise here on the forums). I wasn't really expecting a lot, but I really enjoyed it (read at least the first 4 TPB. If you aren't hooked by then, don't bother with the rest).

If you like good humor, but slightly grittier/adult-aimed comics, I definately recommend Powers by Brian Bendis. Given the books you've listed already, I think you'd definately enjoy it.

In addition, Bendis' run on Daredevil (plus the first 2 TPB of Ed Brubaker after he took over for Bendis) is amazing. It's the reason DD is one of my favorite superheroes around.

Ultimates 1 and Ultimates 2 are pretty good (I don't have nearly as negative opinion on Ultimates 2, because I didn't pick it up until after they had finished the entire thing, so wasn't stuck waiting for months at a time between issues.) These two volumes are the reason I no longer mock Thor and Captain America.

As far as DC stuff goes, I am not a big fan of most Superman books, with the exception of Superman: Red Son (alternate Universe where Superman is a soviet hero? Simultaniously the most silly and most awesome thing I'd read in a long time).

Good Batman books to read are Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween/Dark Victory and Killing Joke. A lot of people are big fans of Batman: Year One, but it never really struck me as being as good as all the hype around it was.

I've read some of Y, but never got a chance to finish it (it's on my list).

Watchmen is fantastic. I struggled a bit the first time through it, but when I finally finished it, I was blown away. I recently re-read it, and this time through was able to pick up on a lot more of the symbolism, foreshadowing, etc., and was blown away again.

V for Vendetta is on my list, so I can't really comment on that

Dryken
2008-08-21, 08:50 PM
Check out Fell And Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse. Ben Templesmith's art is amazing and both Warren Ellis and Templesmith are amazing writers.

Gavin Sage
2008-08-21, 09:53 PM
Okay a list of good stuff to buy if you are interested in comics, organized by publisher but no particular order. Most of this requires very little to no background info to enjoy:

VERTIGO:

Sandman- One of, if not the best comic series ever. Its trippy while remaining cool. Cosmic, yet down to Earth. I'd agree with reading at least the first four volumes. Most people would put special emphasis on the Season of Mists arc, but I think the indivdual stand alone issues can be where the series shines brightest.

Hellblazer- There is good reason people hate Constantine. This book is the reason, since it is all things the movie is not at all but the most superficial levels.

Fables- Fairy tales living in NYC as refugees from a brutal war and mericiless adversary, what's not to love? Subversion at its finest with guys like Prince Charming being thrice divorced to three different women for his philandering. And that's just a start.

DC:

Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus- Old old school now, and more then a little silly what with Jimmy Olsen headlining one of the four books collected here. You can't beat the King of Comics though, still mind-bendingly cool today. And features some of comics finest characters in Darkseid, Orion, Mister Miracle, Big Barda, and Metron among others. (Special bonus, timely tie-in with current Final Crisis event)

Crisis on Infinite Earths- This is what every comic event since then has wanted to be. The most epic scale of epics out there. Pretty much the most important event in DC comics history. Worth reading if one wishes to get into DC at all, ever.

Green Lantern: Rebirth, Green Lantern Corps: Recharge- Included together to note the best order to read these in. Rebuilds a major portion of DC almost from the ground up. And is fairly classic comic goodness to boot. Plenty of interesting new characters in the latter of this pair, all of whom are excellent.

Sinestro Corps War- Another Green Lantern series, but with a scale that merits major event status. One of the best things DC has put out in recent years. And contains (for a DC fan) one of the most awesome panels of all time. Its great superhero reading in any case. After reading this start picking up Green Lantern issues.

52- Four writers tell in real time the story of the DCU for a year without Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. Every issue sequentially follows a week of that year, while every other DC book at the time jumped forward past the end of it. Features several lesser known characters getting chances to absolutely shine. Complex, and cool.

Kingdom Come- A story set decades into the future, from the grim and gritty 1990s. As the world despairs over superpowered anti-heroes run amok, where Superman is a hermit, and the most familar superheroes have withdrawn from saving the world; Pastor Norman McCay is visited by an angel of God's wrath after recieving visions of Armageddon. Beatiful, beatiful artwork by Alex Ross and a story that explores what it really means to be a superhero. (Avoid its sequel like the plague though)

Superman: Red Son- What if Superman's rocket had landed in the good ol' USSR? This story is what, and despite a disappointing ending is one of the coolest things you'll read. Doubles as an exploration of the danger of what a man like Supes could be. The Comrade of Steel and Batmankoff are not to be missed in any case.

Action Comics- The recent run by author Geoff Johns (behind the two GL events I've mentioned, and part of 52) has been very well regarded. It won't be out in trade for awhile yet, but I highly recomend the current Brianiac arc in particular. Highlights include Supergirl's scenes, and a few panels involving a woman name Cat Grant, surgery, and how Clark Kent really is from another world.

MARVEL:

Captain America- Specifically Ed Brubaker's run from the latest numbering/naming restart now several years back. The guy that runs my local comic book shop has been reading Cap since the 70s, and he claims this to be the best run of Cap ever read. And by general acclaim I'd say he's right. One of the best comics I've ever read. For his first act Ed Brubaker does the impossible, and it isn't horrible nay it is excellent. For his second act Brubaker kills Cap and its tremendous. I've read the Death of Superman, the death of Captain America is better. Pick this up in trade paperbacks then keep reading. This story isn't done, but it keeps being awesome. The best comic Marvel is putting out.

Annhilation- Recent cosmic epic of war in space. A cast you've never heard of except for the Silver Surfer and his boss (yes in the present tense) Galactus. Oh and you should have heard of Thanos too, he's there too. A really great tale of space. I would also recomend its quasi-sequel Conquest, and highly recoment the new Nova series. Along with the brand spanking new Guardians of the Galaxy, which won't have a trade out but should be findable in issue form. While heroes on Earth have been having a pissing contest, the rest of the universe has been busy with more important issues like fighting for survival.

Thor- Specifically the recently restarted series, where all you really need to know is that Ragnorak happened and now Thor is making a new future for Asgard. In Okalahoma. Which only increases the awesome. Includes a very satisfying beatdown of Iron Man too. And Loki as a woman.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga- In its own quiet way Chris Claremont decade writing for the X-men is not only the reason they are cool, but why comics are cool. The Dark Phoenix Saga is just the tip really, but I know it is availible. If you can find old X-men comics by Claremont, chance are good they are worth reading. (His more recent ones much less so, however Kitty Pryde's Mechanix is a fun little mini-series. Because Kitty Pryde is one of the most underrated characters in comics)

Dode
2008-08-22, 01:41 AM
New X-Men Omnibus
Earth X
Scalped
Why I Hate Saturn
Ellis' Thunderbolts run

tetsubo
2008-08-22, 07:13 AM

Not to comment on 52 itself as I never read it but to get the full effect don’t you need to read Identity Crisis too? And even if the answer is no I would still recommend it.

Superman: Red Son
Agreed. One of the best Superman stories around. Although Birthright is ok and so is the Last Son Trade that Johns and Richard Donnor worked together on.

Captain America- Specifically Ed Brubaker's run. The best comic Marvel is putting out.
100% agreed. I am a sucker for pretty much anything Brubaker's done. Gotham Nights was great too and it had Greg Rucka on it too.

Brubaker and Matt Fractions run on Iron Fist was also really good. It’s too bad they left to go do X-men which so far seems to be really lackluster.

Thor
I did not want to recommend this first as I am horribly biased against all things Norse but since other people have I will echo their comments.

Also Northlanders from Vertigo is good too. It based in "real life" about a Varangian who turned his back on his old life only to return to claim his recently dead father’s wealth.

chiasaur11
2008-08-22, 12:02 PM
Thor- Specifically the recently restarted series, where all you really need to know is that Ragnorak happened and now Thor is making a new future for Asgard. In Okalahoma. Which only increases the awesome. Includes a very satisfying beatdown of Iron Man too. And Loki as a woman.

Although it may be quite good (I haven't read it) there is no way in Hel, Valhalla, or Midgard it's half as good as Walt Simonson's legendary run on the title. Thor as a Frog, the first other person worthy to wield the hammer Mjolnier (Beta Ray Bill), epic wars against demon armies, great scenes with the warriors three, an issue consisting entirely of splash panels, and much much more. It's one of the best (if not THE best) runs on a title in the history of the medium. And I include Swamp Thing by Moore in that group.

sikyon
2008-08-22, 01:00 PM
Although it may be quite good (I haven't read it) there is no way in Hel, Valhalla, or Midgard it's half as good as Walt Simonson's legendary run on the title. Thor as a Frog, the first other person worthy to wield the hammer Mjolnier (Beta Ray Bill), epic wars against demon armies, great scenes with the warriors three, an issue consisting entirely of splash panels, and much much more. It's one of the best (if not THE best) runs on a title in the history of the medium. And I include Swamp Thing by Moore in that group.

No it's pretty much better. The only old thor I read before current thor was walt simonson's run (specifically for beta ray, but I read all of it) and current thor is even better.

mentatzarkon
2008-08-22, 03:50 PM
I'd highly recommend Invincible - I'm a couple issues behind at this point, but I absolutely loved every bit of what I read.

kolvar
2008-08-22, 04:07 PM
Artesia (will it ever be finished?)
The Middle Man
Rex Mundy
We had Hellblazer and Sandman, so we should include the Books of Magic
The Boys
Midnight Nation

chiasaur11
2008-08-22, 06:34 PM
No it's pretty much better. The only old thor I read before current thor was walt simonson's run (specifically for beta ray, but I read all of it) and current thor is even better.

You. Lie.
Liar.

How can it compete with Frog Thor?

It can't.

Gavin Sage
2008-08-22, 06:50 PM
Not to comment on 52 itself as I never read it but to get the full effect don’t you need to read Identity Crisis too? And even if the answer is no I would still recommend it.

Identity Crisis I've only peeked at sporadically and not terribly missed it.

However if you meant Infinite Crisis then yes that's fairly good to have as a set-up book. I just can't recomend it terribly much. Wiki it and be done.

chiasaur11
2008-08-22, 07:03 PM

However if you meant Infinite Crisis then yes that's fairly good to have as a set-up book. I just can't recomend it terribly much. Wiki it and be done.

Hey, what about Booster Gold?

It's a follow up to 52, and it's fairly good.

comicshorse
2008-08-22, 08:04 PM
Check out Fell
Yes, how did I forget this. Definitely recommend this.
And 'The Boys' if you like your humour dark and sick

Gavin Sage
2008-08-22, 09:17 PM
Hey, what about Booster Gold?

It's a follow up to 52, and it's fairly good.

Well I could recomend plenty of running titles, but tried to stick more to trade you could collect and be done with. And keep the list of moderate size to let other people recomend stuff.

chiasaur11
2008-08-22, 09:31 PM
Well I could recomend plenty of running titles, but tried to stick more to trade you could collect and be done with. And keep the list of moderate size to let other people recomend stuff.

Makes sense. The first 12 issues won't be in trade for a bit yet.

tetsubo
2008-08-22, 10:19 PM

I did mean Identity Crisis but your correct about the order. For some reason I thought 52 was the run-in into Infinite Crisis not the other way around. I do agree about Infinite Crisis unless you are steeped in the DC world just skip it.

Hzurr
2008-08-25, 02:13 PM

Identity Crisis is AMAZING, however, it starts off really slow. Trust me, if you force your way through the first half of the book, you will be more than rewarded by the second half.