PDA

View Full Version : Faintly disturbing thoughts in the playground

Tamburlaine
2008-08-15, 04:20 PM
Recently watching QI, I was reminded that the interior of an atom is mostly empty space. Thus realising that, when you think about it, this means we (and everything else) are by volume mostly made up of nothing at all, mild disquiet ensued.
Anyone else been vaguely creeped out by something recently?

Kaelaroth
2008-08-15, 04:22 PM
Well, I just watched that too. At the same time. And also just went onto GitP. Disturbing, eh? EH?! EH?!

But, here's one. One day, everything you've accomplished, are accomplishing, and will accomplish, will be meaningless, and non-existant.

Player_Zero
2008-08-15, 04:22 PM
Also think about the average particle density of space.

Matter makes up an insignifigant volume of the known universe.

happyturtle
2008-08-15, 05:02 PM
That stuff on your teeth? That's bacteria poop.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-08-15, 05:06 PM
Your eyelashes have tiny crocodile like creatures on them. It's true! :smalleek:

Kaelaroth
2008-08-15, 05:20 PM
Your eyelashes have tiny crocodile like creatures on them. It's true! :smalleek:

Your towels, and eyebrows to. And my book called them crocodile-like centipedes.

thubby
2008-08-15, 05:29 PM
you will inhale/swallow many insects without realizing it throughout your lifetime, including spiders.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-15, 05:32 PM
you will inhale/swallow many insects without realizing it throughout your lifetime, including spiders.Sorry, but this one only exists as urban legend.

Alleine
2008-08-15, 05:48 PM
you will inhale/swallow many insects without realizing it throughout your lifetime, including spiders.

Not true. I do it all the time on purpose. I ALWAYS realize it.

In 130 years 100% of the human population will be dead
130 might be excessive, but its just to be on the safe side.

Also, everyone is going to die.

snoopy13a
2008-08-15, 05:52 PM

Spiders aren't insects :smalltongue:

How about:

Dust is partly made up of your dead skin cells.

Om
2008-08-15, 05:56 PM
But, here's one. One day, everything you've accomplished, are accomplishing, and will accomplish, will be meaningless, and non-existant.Seez who?

My nemesis Captain Character Limit strikes again

Pyrian
2008-08-15, 06:33 PM
I saw this thread right next to the thread titled just "Coconuts" and cracked up laughing. :smallcool:

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-15, 06:46 PM

oh? proof, please as I can see none.

Alleine
2008-08-15, 06:56 PM
oh? proof, please as I can see none.

Well, unless you know of an immortality drug or cryo-freeze method that works, we're all gonna die.

Also, the oldest living person I can think of is 121 years old I think. So assuming no one is going to live much past that, everyone alive now will be dead in 130 years. That means 100% of the population. Of course, in that amount of time there will be sufficient replacements so that the human race keeps going. I mean, we're here now, so obviously it works.

Yeah, I know I probably could've worded it better. But it sounds disturbing, right?

evisiron
2008-08-15, 07:17 PM

I read this and thought "Either they mean 100% of the human population that is currently alive, or they know something I don't".

My faintly disturbing thought? An act of kindness could directly or indirectly lead to your death.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-15, 07:23 PM
A Dog's mouth is cleaner than a Human's mouth.

Pyro
2008-08-15, 07:26 PM
Hah this thread sorta creeps me out, but morbid curiosity makes me continue reading.

But, here's one. One day, everything you've accomplished, are accomplishing, and will accomplish, will be meaningless, and non-existant.

Now that one really scares me. I hate it when I bust my butt on a project and it's like in 1 year this won't even matter. That's why I hope to go into a science field because even collaborating on R&D with a team of 100...well that's something that will impact the future and make the world a better place.

Ok my turn. All the problems of today are caused by your parents generation (assuming mosts people here are teens). Your life in a way will be devoted to correcting your parents' screw ups. I've had two teachers tell me this already and it's only been a week in school.

Lupy
2008-08-15, 08:24 PM
One percent of people*who use the internet for more than one hour a day die at age**twenty?

*Who play runescape
**Age=Level

Collin152
2008-08-15, 08:34 PM
Any given person you talk to on the internet could be naked while doing so.

Siosilvar
2008-08-15, 08:43 PM
One percent of people*who use the internet for more than one hour a day die at age**twenty?

*Who play runescape
**Age=Level

I think I made it to 46...

Occasional Sage
2008-08-15, 08:52 PM
Any given person you talk to on the internet thinks they should be naked while doing so.

Fixed that for you! :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-15, 09:03 PM
The phrase "rule of thumb" originated as a guideline for beating your wife with a stick, i.e., you shouldn't beat her with a stick bigger around than your thumb.

Collin152
2008-08-15, 09:07 PM
There is blood inside of you.
Right now.
Warm, living blood.
Moving.
Oozing, almost.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-15, 09:07 PM
The phrase "rule of thumb" originated as a guideline for beating your wife with a stick, i.e., you shouldn't beat her with a stick bigger around than your thumb.

EDIT: Getting rid of that link because it's very anti-feminist. I'll find a better one. It's not true, in any case.

EDIT2: This one is better. (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html) So again, thankfully not the case.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-15, 09:08 PM

Yeah, THAT one I never wanted to know about. I had assumed, before a friend gave me your (correct) history, that it referred to the "rule of thumb" in checking for the done-ness of meat. Now I'm sad and my soul cringes when I use the phrase.

Phae Nymna
2008-08-15, 09:12 PM

*Who play runescape
**Age=Level

Yes! I live past my thirties! WOOHOO, SEVENTY YEARS BIZNITCHES!

Jack Squat
2008-08-15, 09:49 PM

Now they can't do much damage with that, can they? Maybe it should have been rule of wrist.[/BoondockSaints]

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-15, 09:52 PM
Grrr. It (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html) is (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html) not (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html) true (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html). :smalltongue:

SilentNight
2008-08-15, 09:55 PM
Every three seconds, twelve babies are born and less than twelve people die.

Devin
2008-08-15, 10:09 PM
Your whole family is made out of meat.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-15, 10:11 PM
Grrr. It (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html) is (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html) not (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html) true (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html). :smalltongue:

Thanks for that!

I'll go back to thinking that it's about meat now.

ETA: That's true, Devin, *and* I know where they live! :smalltongue:

Collin152
2008-08-15, 10:13 PM
Your entire body used to be food.
And before that? It was dirt and gas and such.

Lupy
2008-08-15, 10:13 PM
That anyone you talk to on the internet could be a man twice your age with a drinking problem who finds *your sex and sage here* attractive? :smalleek: :smallwink:

Occasional Sage
2008-08-15, 10:14 PM

Really, we're all nuclear waste. If you go back far enough.

Phae Nymna
2008-08-15, 10:15 PM
Did one know that one can contract the Ebola virus from a minimum of only 5 particles of the virus?

Collin152
2008-08-15, 10:16 PM
Really, we're all nuclear waste. If you go back far enough.

Ah, but this isn't even looking back too far.
A decade before your birth, you were most likely dirt. Maybe some of you was food already.
You used to be feces.

bibliophile
2008-08-15, 10:16 PM
One of the main problems with transfering your mind into a computer is the fact that you can't. You may create a perfect copy of you with all your memories, idiosyncracies, and goals, but that doesn't mean it's you. There is no continuity of conicousness. You from your perspective, doesn't change. Now for the creepy part.

There is no continuity of conicousness when you sleep.

Is that person who gets out of your bed in the morning really you? Or is it just someone you acts exactly like you, with your habits and memories? Is the length of your life only a few hours?

Lupy
2008-08-15, 10:17 PM
I'm made of Star dust personally, who knows about the rest of you. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Biblio, that is the first truly disturbing thing here, I'm afraid to sleep now... Why is there no continuation of consciencnous if you are dreaming though?

Occasional Sage
2008-08-15, 10:18 PM
Ah, but this isn't even looking back too far.
A decade before your birth, you were most likely dirt. Maybe some of you was food already.
You used to be feces.

And will be again, before too long.

Also, I still am food. Just, nothing lower on the food chain has developed the courage to try for me yet.

Hairb
2008-08-15, 10:18 PM
The next Frank Miller-written Batman comics will be entitled "Holy Terror, Batman!" and feature Batman fighting Al-Qaeda. I wish I was joking, I honestly do.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-15, 10:20 PM
The next Frank Miller-written Batman comics will be entitled "Holy Terror, Batman!" and feature Batman fighting Al-Qaeda. I wish I was joking, I honestly do.

With my fingers firmly in my ears, I refuse to believe that you are not joking. If necessary, I will continue refusing with my fingers in my eyes. I will follow no links without checking the destination first.

Collin152
2008-08-15, 10:20 PM
And will be again, before too long.

Also, I still am food. Just, nothing lower on the food chain has developed the courage to try for me yet.

The carbon in your body may have once been through a human digestive tract.
It may have gone through several human digestive tracts.

Swok
2008-08-15, 11:10 PM
On the whole topic of consciousness, it could easily be said that you memories are you. Meaning that if you created a perfect copy of yourself with all you memories, it would be you. The only necessary thing would for it to keep changing over time, which if it was a program that could learn, would change.

Also, antibacterial soap only kills 99.9% of all germs. That .1% is immune, or at least resistant enough to survive. Antibacterial soap is supercharging the evolution of bacteria (much of which is relatively harmless). Antibiotics do much of the same thing. Our own amazing advances may doom us all due to overuse as the end result could easily be a modern drug immune super bacteria.

bibliophile
2008-08-15, 11:18 PM
Same thing with antibiotics in livestock feed.

On your other topic, I disagree. A perfect copy of you is a copy, not you.

Collin152
2008-08-15, 11:21 PM
From its perspective, it would be you, and it would have worked.

Hairb
2008-08-15, 11:30 PM
With my fingers firmly in my ears, I refuse to believe that you are not joking. If necessary, I will continue refusing with my fingers in my eyes. I will follow no links without checking the destination first.

Man I straight up am not kidding, much to my own towering sense of disgust. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Terror,_Batman!)

Swok
2008-08-15, 11:32 PM
On your other topic, I disagree. A perfect copy of you is a copy, not you.

As a corollary of sorts to my point above, since a person is their memories, essentially, a person that loses all their memories would not be the same person. If you, for example, lost all of your memories, you would essentially cease to exist, as everything cognitive that makes you you would be gone.

Another somewhat disturbing though: Right now a star somewhat close (close enough to catch us with the explosion from going nova or supernova) to us could have gone nova or super nova, and a complete annihilation could be descending upon us as we have this conversation. And there would be very little warning before the end of the world was upon us.

Another eerie thought is that many of the stars we can see right now are could be already dead, but so far away light from their past existence is still traveling to us.

expirement10K14
2008-08-15, 11:33 PM
CERN's hadron collider could create a black hole on October 21st, killing us all.

But its okay, Stephen Hawkings said it wouldn't happen.

mangosta71
2008-08-15, 11:46 PM
My faintly disturbing thought? An act of kindness could directly or indirectly lead to your death.

This is why I cleverly never perform acts of kindness.

There is blood inside of you.
Right now.
Warm, living blood.
Moving.
Oozing, almost.

Stop. You're making me hungry.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-08-15, 11:48 PM
Everywhere around you is bacteria, there's even a few million of the buggers in your digestive track eating what you eat. There are more dust mites in an average room than people on the planet. The government in lying to you about aliens. The truth of the matter is they made them up to cover up for themselves. A bird probably chocked on some plastic you carelessly threw away.

[/random][deepbreath=Yoga]

All matter is energy. Matter has a wavelength which is infinitesimally small, but this means it must also have the properties of a wave as well. It could, potentially, be possible to create destructive interference with matter, simply phasing it out.

A kilogram of matter and antimatter would annihilate each other and produce 180,000,000,000,000,000 Joules of Kinetic Energy. For equivalence, that'd be 47 megatons of TNT. In comparison, the largest nuclear device ever detonated created an estimated 57 megatons of TNT using hundreds of kilograms of nuclear material. High energy cosmic rays that hit the Earth regularly produce particles of antimatter.

More physics lessons to come :smallsmile:

EDIT:

CERN's hadron collider could create a black hole on October 21st, killing us all.

On the whole, a miniature black hole is nearly identical to an electron. Some theories are that some electrons could be black holes.... In either case, something the size of an electron has absolutely no concerning gravitational pull.

Innis Cabal
2008-08-16, 12:01 AM
Even if there are movies about it

Its wholey possible for someone, to go to your house several states away, and kidnap/harm you. No motive, no connections. Only some DNA from more then a state or two away, tire and foot prints could be removed.

kaptainkrutch
2008-08-16, 12:12 AM
Your whole family is made out of meat.

That's not disturbing. That's just... weird.

Swok
2008-08-16, 12:19 AM
That's not disturbing. That's just... weird.

There are certain people/things that would just view it as delicious.

...Actually, that could count as a disturbing thought all on it's own.

Alleine
2008-08-16, 12:22 AM
That's not disturbing. That's just... delicious.

Fixed it for you.

EDIT:

There are certain people/things that would just view it as delicious.

...Actually, that could count as a disturbing thought all on it's own.

whoops:smallredface:
What, people taste like bacon... I mean, I've HEARD that people taste like bacon.

TigerHunter
2008-08-16, 12:30 AM
Every single drop of water on the planet has likely passed through a human urethra at one point.

Swok
2008-08-16, 12:34 AM
It is possible that there is a world much like our own somewhere in the universe where an identical copy of yourself exists.

Astronomically unlikely in every way, but possible.

TFT
2008-08-16, 12:36 AM
Anything you are thinking right now will become the past in the next moment. The second you realise that your in the present, that is now in the past. It creeps me out a bit, at least.

TigerHunter
2008-08-16, 12:36 AM
Astronomically unlikely in every way, but possible.
Infinite universe. The existence of anything is not only possible, but a guarantee.

Tamburlaine
2008-08-16, 05:07 AM
What, people taste like bacon... I mean, I've HEARD that people taste like bacon.

Slightly sweeter than bacon, I think.

Infinite universe. The existence of anything is not only possible, but a guarantee.

Ah, but conversely, an infinite universe would mean that all the cool things guaranteed to exist are so far apart, we'll never know for sure if they do exist or not.

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-16, 07:59 AM

AHHHHHH!!

But its okay, Stephen Hawkings said it wouldn't happen.

oh that's all right then :smallbiggrin:

Samakain
2008-08-16, 08:13 AM

This is a lovely thought, but if its true theres a planet out there completely made of chocolate pudding, or planet full of Mr.Potato Heads? a whole world where the game of Operation in anatomical fact. I find this a disturbing thought all its own..

...another was while browsing youtube i found a few people raving about may 12 2012, or something, saying that a planet is supposed to hit earth. meteor storm? big one? sure i can survive that, plague? sure no worries, war? PAH, but a mother freaking planet, you can't hide from that people.

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-16, 08:20 AM
This is a lovely thought, but if its true theres a planet out there completely made of chocolate pudding, or planet full of Mr.Potato Heads? a whole world where the game of Operation in anatomical fact. I find this a disturbing thought all its own..

...another was while browsing youtube i found a few people raving about may 12 2012, or something, saying that a planet is supposed to hit earth. meteor storm? big one? sure i can survive that, plague? sure no worries, war? PAH, but a mother freaking planet, you can't hide from that people.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/Sharde/Relax.jpg

Wraithy
2008-08-16, 08:31 AM
Your flesh (and most of the food you've ever eaten) contains worms.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-08-16, 08:33 AM
Slightly sweeter than bacon, I think.

I had heard that it, in fact, tasted something like mutton. That we carried out a brief chat about the taste of human should be disturbing on it's own..

I believe that it was December 21st 2012, and they would be referring to the Mayan Long Count Calander which will reach its 13th cycle. This happens every 5125 years. There isn't a whole lot the Mayans mention about the date except for how to calculate dates better and, oh yeah, this is when we transition from the current world to the next. Odds are most likely that it's metaphor and everyone that freaked out because of it will jump of a building.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-16, 08:37 AM
There is a theory that a red dwarf which is orbiting the sun called Nibiru could cause a cataclysmic pole shift in 2012 (this sort of thing has supposedly happened before, and it hads been blamed for a lot of large mythological disasters).

Dr. Bath
2008-08-16, 09:03 AM
Um...there aren't any stars that orbit the sun.

The pole shift thing happens fairly regularly. (It's how geologist worked out the age of the Earth) It doesn't cause massive natural disasters as far as I know (I can't see how it would). The biggest problem would be that any electrical equiptment that relies on the electromagnetic feild of the Earth would fail to work/need recalibrating. Not too much to worry about.

Pyrian
2008-08-16, 09:53 AM
That anyone you talk to on the internet could be a man twice your age with a drinking problem who finds *your sex and sage here* attractive? :smalleek: :smallwink:I do not have a drinking problem! :smallmad: :smallbiggrin:

TigerHunter
2008-08-16, 09:19 PM
After following a link in the "If you had to die..." thread:

Anything and everything found on cracked.com

Vella_Malachite
2008-08-16, 10:26 PM
Frankly the only ones that disturb me are the ones about astrophysics...my brain is not capable of handling massive, earth-shattering final truths about our scarily finite/infinite eternal/imminently ending universe/planet. The ones about the taste of human flesh just make me curious and the ones about how everything was waste/fecal matter once don't bother me at all.

The thought that when you die, your consciousness ceases to exist has always creeped me out.

Oh, and from my current Science project: Even if you screen for CF and neither you nor your partner have CF, either as a carrier or a sufferer, you can still have a CF-suffering child. We just don't have the technology to scan for all 600 different gene mutations causing CF.

Scarier when you first think about it...

Ashtar
2008-08-16, 10:27 PM
I hope this hasn't been posted before in this thread, but I think this applies here:

Large Hadron Collider (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM) explained in a different format ^^

mikeejimbo
2008-08-16, 10:48 PM

Much of your body IS food. Meat is food.

Collin152
2008-08-16, 10:49 PM
Much of your body IS food. Meat is food.

It's not something most other humans would eat.

Xyk
2008-08-16, 10:51 PM
Your thoughts are probably nothing. A random series or electrical current running through the brain contains everything you do. You are absolutely and totally meaningless and non-existent.

Collin152
2008-08-16, 10:55 PM
Your thoughts are probably nothing. A random series or electrical current running through the brain contains everything you do. You are absolutely and totally meaningless and non-existent.

Cogito, ergo sum.

mikeejimbo
2008-08-16, 10:55 PM
It's not something most other humans would eat.

True, but humans aren't the only meat-eaters in the world.

Collin152
2008-08-16, 10:57 PM
True, but humans aren't the only meat-eaters in the world.

One rarely calls things a human doesn't eat food without clasifying it as food for that other thing.

mikeejimbo
2008-08-16, 10:58 PM
One rarely calls things a human doesn't eat food without clasifying it as food for that other thing.

This only goes to show that humans are extraordinarily self-centered. Don't worry, I am too.

Lupy
2008-08-16, 10:59 PM
I read somewhere that 70% of small bills (($1and $5)) have been in a strippers thong... :smalleek:

Innis Cabal
2008-08-16, 11:02 PM
And most 100's lined with crack

Collin152
2008-08-16, 11:03 PM
That's it, I'm only working with 20's and 50's from now on!

mikeejimbo
2008-08-16, 11:05 PM
Some other disturbing physics thoughts:

We don't exactly know what holds atoms together.
We don't exactly know how gravity works.

alchemyprime
2008-08-16, 11:35 PM
That we think out world is the example of the laws of physics.

Our own English language has many laws with more exceptions.

What if Earth is the exception to the laws of physiscs?

mikeejimbo
2008-08-16, 11:40 PM
What if Cat were spelled D-O-G?

Sorry, sorry. Cookie for the reference.

Collin152
2008-08-16, 11:46 PM
The problem with the law of physics is in believing that it's constant.
How long have we been observing reality, trying to notice the patterns, forming 'laws' regarding how events must transpire?

How long has reality been reality? How long has existance existed?
Four years from now, some cosmic shift on some level we can't perceive may occur, and all the things we thought we knew about physics and reality are no longer true. We'd probably die, but we'd die utterly shocked.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-16, 11:46 PM
I read somewhere that 70% of small bills (($1and $5)) have been in a strippers thong... :smalleek:

Ah, the smell of money! :smallamused:

I could do it, you know. I have a knife. I could butcher myself right now, on the spot.
Dead.
Kaput.

No-one will even notice until I don't show up to work tomorrow.

Xyk
2008-08-16, 11:51 PM
Cogito, ergo sum.

I humbly disagree...sort of...I haven't worked out the details because doing so would defy the point. Speaking from an absolutely logical standpoint, the human is a series of carbon and water (among other things) in a pattern. There are tiny electrical charges running through it. These charges would probably look absolutely random and probably are. It is probably impossible to fully comprehend these things because doing so would mean comprehension is possible.

I am confused, but reasonably confident.

mikeejimbo
2008-08-16, 11:52 PM
I could do it, you know. I have a knife. I could butcher myself right now, on the spot.
Dead.
Kaput.

No-one will even notice until I don't show up to work tomorrow.

Oh, even more disturbing - the fact that I could kill myself brings comfort to me...

Collin152
2008-08-16, 11:57 PM
I humbly disagree...sort of...I haven't worked out the details because doing so would defy the point. Speaking from an absolutely logical standpoint, the human is a series of carbon and water (among other things) in a pattern. There are tiny electrical charges running through it. These charges would probably look absolutely random and probably are. It is probably impossible to fully comprehend these things because doing so would mean comprehension is possible.

I am confused, but reasonably confident.

Ah, but my point is, I think i exist, so how is it any differant from existing? Your mind makes it real. If I, for example, were to suddenly be under the belief that I was in a castle made entirely of cake, with all of my senses, but to everyone else I was lyign in catatonic slumber, is not this world of cake-castles real to me, as long as it persists?

TigerHunter
2008-08-17, 12:04 AM
Ah, but my point is, I think i exist, so how is it any differant from existing? Your mind makes it real. If I, for example, were to suddenly be under the belief that I was in a castle made entirely of cake, with all of my senses, but to everyone else I was lyign in catatonic slumber, is not this world of cake-castles real to me, as long as it persists?
Depends. Have we always been at war with Eurasia?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-17, 12:09 AM
Depends. Have we always been at war with Eurasia?

How dare you even question this fact? You should be ashamed of yourself, for even suggesting that our Eastasian allies were once our enemies!
This is blasphemy!
This...
This is Thoughtcrime!
Doubleplusungood!
I'll have you vaporised!

Xyk
2008-08-17, 12:11 AM

I have little comeback, but that reminded me of a form of hallucinating that sounds really cool.

Basically you find a tank of saltwater at exactly your body temperature, a soundless, pitch black room. You lose all of your senses so your brain makes stuff up. Anything. You feel, smell, see, and hear everything like it was happening to you. I haven't tried it but it sounds super-cool.

mikeejimbo
2008-08-17, 12:12 AM
Orwell would have loved Paranoia.

Collin152
2008-08-17, 12:12 AM
I have little comeback,

So... does that mean I win?

mikeejimbo
2008-08-17, 12:13 AM
So... does that mean I win?

Well, the thing is, if you think you've won, is it any different than winning?

Collin152
2008-08-17, 12:17 AM

Well, all things I perceive would have to agree with the premise of my victory.
See, if my opponant concedes as far as I am aware, but from his own perspective the reverse is true, we have both won.

Guyinthestreet
2008-08-17, 12:17 AM

If I thought that I won at some sweepstakes and went up to claim my prize (without actually having the betting ticket), they'll lock me up in an asylum.

mikeejimbo
2008-08-17, 12:19 AM
If I thought that I won at some sweepstakes and went up to claim my prize (without actually having the betting ticket), they'll lock me up in an asylum.

Only if you let your senses tell you that you've been locked in an asylum.

Guyinthestreet
2008-08-17, 12:22 AM
Only if you let your senses tell you that you've been locked in an asylum.

Ah, so the rats scratching I hear around the place (which is NOT an asylum) are imaginary.

Xyk
2008-08-17, 12:23 AM

lolz. But no, collin, I thought of something. "I think". You said that, but it's really not possible. Your logic determines that you do, even if it might make absolutely zero sense. Electrical currents in your brain fire in a seemingly random order.

I have taken 9th grade science, and no physics or philosophy classes, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. That is my understanding of humans in theory. In practice, I agree with you, obviously.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-17, 12:24 AM
Ah, so the rats scratching I hear around the place (which is NOT an asylum) are imaginary.

GITS here has a good point.
I say we kill him.

Please note that I am, indeed, just joking. <Take that Government monitoring my keystrokes!>

Collin152
2008-08-17, 12:26 AM
lolz. But no, collin, I thought of something. "I think". You said that, but it's really not possible. Your logic determines that you do, even if it might make absolutely zero sense. Electrical currents in your brain fire in a seemingly random order.

I say I think, but if I do not think, I have never thought.
Therefore, what I believe to be thinking, isn't.
Therefore, what I do do is thinking.
Q.E.D., I think.

Xyk
2008-08-17, 12:30 AM
I say I think, but if I do not think, I have never thought.
Therefore, what I believe to be thinking, isn't.
-----
-----
Therefore, what I do do is thinking.
Q.E.D., I think.

It's that step that bothers me. Really, they don't seem to be related. What you believe is thinking, isn't thinking. But you do think. Does not compute.

Cruxador
2008-08-17, 12:32 AM
Offtopicness abounds.....

On topic:
Think of some guy you know. doesn't matter who. Picture him. He has a penis.

Doesn't disturb me, but this one girl I know, it really freaks her out.

Collin152
2008-08-17, 12:32 AM
It's that step that bothers me. Really, they don't seem to be related. What you believe is thinking, isn't thinking. But you do think. Does not compute.

What I thought was thinking, isn't thinking.
Yet I do something.
And that something is what I believed is thinking.
It just isn't thinking.
See, we're operating under two definitions of "thinking".
The basic idea here is, I do something, and call it thinking.

On topic:

That's only disturbing to me when I think about the fact that women have women-parts.

All of them...

Everyone is either a sex object or a disturbing anomaly! There's no middle ground!

Xyk
2008-08-17, 12:37 AM
That computes better. The bad thing here is I am tired and will now retire to my bed for sleeping time. I will not be able to sleep because I am "thinking" very much.

I am still pretty sure I am right. Also this conversation was super-fun to me, we should do it again sometime. :smallwink:

Collin152
2008-08-17, 12:39 AM
I am still pretty sure I am right.

That nesecitates your ability to think, doesn't it?

Also this conversation was super-fun to me, we should do it again sometime. :smallwink:

...Are you asking me out?

mikeejimbo
2008-08-17, 12:45 AM

On topic:

Haha, I came to this realization about the other sex when I was like, 12, and it just made me think 'hot'. :smalltongue:

turkishproverb
2008-08-17, 01:43 AM
and...the world's most disturbing thought.

What if the hokey-pokey is what it's all about?!

Xyk
2008-08-17, 10:19 AM
That nesecitates your ability to think, doesn't it?

...Are you asking me out?

I told you, in practice I agree with you, but in theory I am right. I''m not asking you out, sorry I got your hopes up.

bibliophile
2008-08-17, 10:36 AM
I told you, in practice I agree with you, but in theory I am right. I''m not asking you out, sorry I got your hopes up.

I've been following your debate Xyk, and I strongly disagree with your conclusion. Your positition (please correct me if I am wrong) is that we don't think, only that electrical impulses fire randomly in our brain, creating an illusion of awareness.

The one thing we can never deny is that we think. We are aware of our own conicousness all the time we are concious. If our awareness of ourselves is an illusion, who is being deceived?

Zeta Kai
2008-08-17, 12:46 PM
Some other disturbing physics thoughts:

We don't exactly know what holds atoms together.
We don't exactly know how gravity works.

Replace "exactly know" with "really have a clue" for increased accuracy.

For the cookie, you were referencing Revenge of the Nerds 2.

To get back on topic, here's a thought: anytime you smell feces/flatulence, particles of feces/flatulence are already in your nose. Sleep tight.

Xyk
2008-08-17, 03:56 PM
I've been following your debate Xyk, and I strongly disagree with your conclusion. Your positition (please correct me if I am wrong) is that we don't think, only that electrical impulses fire randomly in our brain, creating an illusion of awareness.

The one thing we can never deny is that we think. We are aware of our own conicousness all the time we are concious. If our awareness of ourselves is an illusion, who is being deceived?

What I was getting at is that there is no 'us'. Just a pile of matter with some energy and chemical reactions mixed in randomly. Random electrical charges all throughout the body, especially in what appears to be the brain.

bibliophile
2008-08-17, 04:18 PM
What I was getting at is that there is no 'us'. Just a pile of matter with some energy and chemical reactions mixed in randomly. Random electrical charges all throughout the body, especially in what appears to be the brain.

There is no "us"? To whom am I speaking? If you and I are illusions, who is being decived by the false idea that we exist?

"especially in what appears to be the brain"

Appears to be the brain? What do you think it actually is?

Leigh
2008-08-17, 06:05 PM
Oh, this thread made me laugh out loud realllly hard.
How's this:

When you look in the mirror, your reflection might be a real person whose job is just to mimic you. Or maybe it's your job to mimic them, you just don't know it... ever thought that there's a different world inside a mirror? Or maybe that the real world is inside the mirror, and our world is just the imitation? And yes, I do have a morbid fascination with mirrors...:smallbiggrin:

OHohoh, and...
Every second that passes is a second of your life that you'll never be able to get back.

Collin152
2008-08-17, 06:06 PM
There is no "us"? To whom am I speaking? If you and I are illusions, who is being decived by the false idea that we exist?

Well, all of reality is an illusion.
After all, as I said before, an illusion is reality to you as long as it persists.
Does it not hold, therefore, that reality is merely an illusion of particularly great length?

As far as I know, I am nothing more than my ability to think.
Everything else could be a deception placed upon that. I may not even really exist as an individual, but I perceive that I do.

Well, as far as illusions go, it's not half bad.

Pyro
2008-08-17, 06:38 PM
and...the world's most disturbing thought.

What if the hokey-pokey is what it's all about?!

So are you saying that the meaning to life, the universe, and everything is the hokey pokey? Hell, I think that beats out the original answer.

And points for complete randomness. I burst out laughing at that.

Prophaniti
2008-08-17, 08:28 PM
Pull up Google Maps. Type in your address. Zoom all the way in. It's cool, you can see your family's car and everything. Then zoom out, one click at a time. Be sure to count the houses around you. When you get to the point that your hometown is entirely visible, start panning around a bit, counting the cities and suburbs around you. Zoom out a bit more, keep panning. Try to contemplate just how many people you're looking down on. Then zoom out a bit more. Keep going. The key is to continually try to keep in mind how many people are present under this satellite photo at any one time. Try to think of them as individuals, instead of as a collective. Once you get out to the point where you can see a state line, you should be at least a little disturbed at this point.

Seriously, try it. I did this at work the other day when I was bored. The world is FRIKKIN' HUGE! You just don't fully comprehend this normally, from day to day.

For added feakiness, or for people too jaded to get anything from that, add the flash progression that cycles through our solar system size comparisons, then goes on to ever larger and larger stars out there. Then pull up Google again and zoom back in to look at your family car.

Recaiden
2008-08-17, 08:48 PM

It could actually be a computer, containg a copy of our self, which may or may not be us, running a simulation of reality.

However, when you realize that, as far as anyone knows, we can all pecieve our own consciousness, it kinds of proves that, you, at least think. It is possible that it is possibl that other people do not think. That they are "philosophical zombies", who act exactly like normal people, but do not think or have consciousness. No way to know for sure.

Collin152
2008-08-17, 08:55 PM
It could actually be a computer, containg a copy of our self, which may or may not be us, running a simulation of reality.

However, when you realize that, as far as anyone knows, we can all pecieve our own consciousness, it kinds of proves that, you, at least think. It is possible that it is possibl that other people do not think. That they are "philosophical zombies", who act exactly like normal people, but do not think or have consciousness. No way to know for sure.

We don't know we exist, but we know we think we do.
We probably exist, barring outside variables.

It all makes sense to me, but there's no way I could explain it.

bibliophile
2008-08-17, 08:56 PM
Well, all of reality is an illusion.
After all, as I said before, an illusion is reality to you as long as it persists.
Does it not hold, therefore, that reality is merely an illusion of particularly great length?

As far as I know, I am nothing more than my ability to think.
Everything else could be a deception placed upon that. I may not even really exist as an individual, but I perceive that I do.

Well, as far as illusions go, it's not half bad.

Reality as it is perceived by our senses may be an illusion. But we cannot deny that we think because we are self aware. An illusion no matter how realistic is still not reality though, somethings is either real or not real. If an illusion is real then its not an illusion.

bibliophile
2008-08-17, 09:00 PM
We don't know we exist, but we know we think we do.
We probably exist, barring outside variables.

It all makes sense to me, but there's no way I could explain it.

We, as the above poster pointed out, don't know that other people are real thinking entities. We do know we exist in some form, exactly because we think we do. After all there must be something doing the thinking, yes?

Copacetic
2008-08-17, 09:03 PM
Maybe our so Called "Sentience" is actually just a twisted imitation of intillegence, and their are some hyper-smart beings up there laughing at out greatest philosophers.

Also, if locked in a room whit 100 other people, how many would resort o cannibalizim to survive. Would you?

Recaiden
2008-08-17, 09:06 PM
Reality as it is perceived by our senses may be an illusion. But we cannot deny that we think because we are self aware. An illusion no matter how realistic is still not reality though, somethings is either real or not real. If an illusion is real then its not an illusion.

The thing is that there is know way to show reality or know for certain what is real. We may all be figments of our own or someone else's imagination.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-17, 09:08 PM
I'm behind you. Yes, you. No, not you, frigs, I'm talking to Krimm here.

Collin152
2008-08-17, 09:09 PM
We, as the above poster pointed out, don't know that other people are real thinking entities. We do know we exist in some form, exactly because we think we do. After all there must be something doing the thinking, yes?

Whose to say your thoughts are your own? That you aren't simply some kind of observing force, following the thoughts of some other being as though you were they?

And if this were the case, would it be any differant from you beign the peron whose thoughts you read?

Copacetic
2008-08-17, 09:10 PM
I'm behind you. Yes, you. No, not you, frigs, I'm talking to Krimm here.

Jeebas! How did you know I was going to reply to this post! Unless..... Your An Alien! A Smart one at That! *head-Asplode*

*Cough*

bibliophile
2008-08-17, 09:22 PM
Whose to say your thoughts are your own? That you aren't simply some kind of observing force, following the thoughts of some other being as though you were they?

And if this were the case, would it be any differant from you beign the peron whose thoughts you read?

I think there would be a difference. You think, you conicously iniate your thoughts, if you didn't make them, then there someone elses's thoughts. You would be the same person, you'd be some mind reading.... thingy.

On the other brain lobe, we're starting to derail the thread, so something really disturbing:

"think about how stupid the average person is, now realize that half of everybody, is stupider than that"
-George Carlin (badly paraphrased)

Anyone who doubts the truth of this, can just remember: OJ got aquitted.

Xyk
2008-08-17, 09:30 PM
I don't believe I have explained my point thoroughly, or I am possibly wrong (can't happen). I would compare humans to squishy rocks that were struck by lightning. "We" are really just matter like rocks. (This sort of thinking is what leads me to believe frankenstein had some merit.) No more complicated than rocks. Our concept of thought is nothing. Nothing we do is anything more than moving matter around. Sentience is a myth.

Another disturbing thought tht is totally unrelated:

all the water you have ever drank has been drank by something else at some point.

bibliophile
2008-08-17, 09:58 PM
I don't believe I have explained my point thoroughly, or I am possibly wrong (can't happen). I would compare humans to squishy rocks that were struck by lightning. "We" are really just matter like rocks. (This sort of thinking is what leads me to believe frankenstein had some merit.) No more complicated than rocks. Our concept of thought is nothing. Nothing we do is anything more than moving matter around. Sentience is a myth.

Another disturbing thought tht is totally unrelated:

all the water you have ever drank has been drank by something else at some point.

I understand your point perfectly well, and still respectfully disagree. I will take your statements one at a time.

"We" are really just matter like rocks.

Of course, matter is matter. Or are you denying the existance of the soul? I cannot discuss that too much without brushing the forum rules, but belief in an immaterial soul is not needed to recignize that you exist and are aware. Just ask Ayn Rand.

No more complicated than rocks.

I've studied more than enough biochemistry to tell you this is most certainly not the case. Humans are more complicated than rocks in every sense of the word complicated, chemicly, pyschologicly. Or do you mean philisophicaly? You're not too clear here.

Our concept of thought is nothing.

Are you trying to say concepts don't exist, or that our concept is incorrect?

Nothing we do is anything more than moving matter around.

I believe in an immaterial soul, but as I have said above, materialism still allows (and indeed logic requires), a knowladge of one's own coniciousness.

Sentience is a myth.

You still haven't aswered my question, if sentience is a myth, a lie, who is being lied to? what is being decieved? If we are not aware, if you do not think, then your words have no meaning, correct? Your above post is thus, according to yourself, the babblings, the random noise, of nature. If we really are having a philisophical disscusion here, then our words have meaning. They are given meaning by your thoughts.

You think. If you think, "I don't really think" you still prove my point. You are either an automaton, whose words are without meaning, or not, and have deceived yourself. You can be truly certain of nothing but the fact you think, because you experience it directly.

Xyk
2008-08-17, 10:12 PM
Humans are not psychologically more complicated than rocks, was a major point of mine. Chemically perhaps.

I'm trying to say concepts don't exist.

The in-existence in an immaterial soul is one of my beliefs but I'll not go into that.

Sentience being a myth ties into the lack of souls, I don't mean a lie or deception, but something that just hasn't ever been there.

Yes, this theory is pretty much impossible to believe in practice. I believe it in theory, but not practice.

SadisticFishing
2008-08-17, 10:18 PM
Concepts don't physically exist, no, but that's what makes them concepts.

Psychology is a concept, and we are FAR more psychologically complex than rocks, as rocks do not have thoughts at all (which is what psychology is about). Makes them rather simple, really.

You're right in that our thoughts are just electrical impulses that travel in our brain. But that is not to say that thoughts do not exist.

It's similar to saying that "communism" and "logic" do not exist. They don't, physically, but they are terms that we have defined, and thus given an abstract form of existance. But existance nonetheless.

Concepts (thoughts) work much the same way, as they are not things that exist physically, but the patterns in them. If you write the words "these are words" on a sheet of paper, on a physical level, it is just ink on a sheet. But to us, as thinking beings, we see the sheet as a sheet with words on it. Words do not exist, except as patterns and correlations between things that do exist.

It's the step from physical to metaphysical.

Collin152
2008-08-17, 10:22 PM
as rocks do not have thoughts at all

As far as we know.
Rocks could be sapient, intelligent things, but incapable of expressing that.
And we'd never know.

Just to be safe, I always treat Rocks with respect.

bibliophile
2008-08-17, 10:25 PM
Humans are not psychologically more complicated than rocks, was a major point of mine. Chemically perhaps.

I'm trying to say concepts don't exist.

The in-existence in an immaterial soul is one of my beliefs but I'll not go into that.

Sentience being a myth ties into the lack of souls, I don't mean a lie or deception, but something that just hasn't ever been there.

Yes, this theory is pretty much impossible to believe in practice. I believe it in theory, but not practice.

Either you believe in it or not.

The statement "concepts don't exist" is a concept.

Weather or not the soul exists is immaterial (get it? hahaha) to the fact that you cannot escape the fact that you think. The philosopher Ayn Rand, is a noted proponent of that view, her arguments can be found on wikipedia. I don't agree with her every point, but her logic is unassable on that point.

Yes, I understand the phrasing, but I think I think; don't I? Since I don't truly think, I decieve myself, but I am not aware, I have no opinions, so I am not decived. This is a contradiction, which cannot be. How do you explain this self contradiction of your view?

Xyk
2008-08-17, 10:58 PM
I am trying to differentiate the material from the personal. They are different. I agree entirely with you on the personal level, but the material level is seldom explored.

It is all just a pile of matter, with naught but elemental differences from rocks. Thoughts exist on the personal level, not the material one.

bibliophile
2008-08-18, 12:00 PM
I am trying to differentiate the material from the personal. They are different. I agree entirely with you on the personal level, but the material level is seldom explored.

It is all just a pile of matter, with naught but elemental differences from rocks. Thoughts exist on the personal level, not the material one.

Now you're confusing me. Are you saying I have convinced you that you are self-aware? Now (if I understand you) you are saying our bodies are made of matter, correct? I've never said our bodies aren't made of matter.

The theory of vitalism* was disproved more than a century ago, no-one denies that our bodies opperate according to the laws of physics.

but the material level is seldom explored.

Yes, it is. That is the whole purpose of the field of biochemistry, to explore the chemical structure of the body.

*For more information, please see: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitalism>

AKA_Bait
2008-08-18, 12:15 PM

Well, just for the record, the human brain also operates at a much higher energy rate than rocks left to themselves (meaning not superheated etc.). The brain has numerous electrical discharges, for example, which rocks do not. That's not just an elemental difference, it's an energy difference as well.

What bibliophile is getting at though is that the mere fact of a statement is proof of something making a statement. As such, the fact that a statement is made makes statements like "There are no statements" automatically false. In terms of existence, it's not that far from Descartes old Cogito point. The fact of there being material bodies which have material expressions of these processes is secondary. It is also possible to take the position that consciousness and material-form are correlations but not caused by eachother or linked other than by coincidence.

mangosta71
2008-08-18, 01:47 PM
Bah. I'm gonna go with Douglas Adams and say that you're all just figments of my deranged imagination.

SadisticFishing
2008-08-18, 05:33 PM
Mhmm, the human brain is the most technologically** advanced thing on the planet (well, it's entirely possible that another sort of brain is more advanced). So even materially, we're more complicated.

But yes, your point is valid - we are all composed of matter.

**: Misnomer.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-18, 05:46 PM
And I say 42.:smalltongue::smallwink::smalltongue: :smallamused:

Bryn
2008-08-18, 06:11 PM
After reading this thread, I most definitely conclude that it needs moar xkcd.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/philosophy.png

Khanderas
2008-08-19, 05:27 AM
Biologically speaking, your only worth is reproduction.

The sheer number of laws of physics that need to work to even begin forming a universe. No gravity = No planets ever. Without the massive amounts of Hydrogen = no suns.

The universe has no beginning or end, in size or time. Add to that, if it goes though cycles of big bangs, where do the energy for that come from ? Are all the rays etc from those explotions all reassembled into the next "big bang egg" or is there a spill ? If there is a spill of <any amount greater then 0> times infinity = THE UNIVERSE LOSES INFINITY MASS an infinity years ago.

Perverts, rapists and murderers were babies ones. Cute, happy babies.

The Y-chomosome is always carried down on the male side, it always comes from your father, who got it from his father and so on back to pre-monkey times. Cool thought until you get pointed out that genetically it has nothing to compare / repair itself with. (double X and all other chromosomes, being doubled can "compare and repair", or so I am told). In a future will it break down ?

Wraithy
2008-08-27, 07:16 PM
The mascots for the Bone Marrow Transplant Fund and Kool aid look suspiciously similar (I couldn't find any images of the BMT mascot, so you're just going to have to take my word for it on this one :smallfrown:).

UncleWolf
2008-08-27, 07:23 PM
After a year 10% of a pillows weight is made up of dead skin cells, the mites that feed on them, and their excrement.

Collin152
2008-08-27, 07:26 PM
After a year 10% of a pillows weight is made up of dead skin cells, the mites that feed on them, and their excrement.

And after, say, 7?

UncleWolf
2008-08-27, 07:27 PM
I really don't want to think about that.:smalleek:

mangosta71
2008-08-27, 10:08 PM

As long as they're soft, I don't particularly care. :smalltongue:

Semidi
2008-08-27, 10:12 PM

You also breath it in all the time.

I wonder how many mites and how much of their **** I've ingested over the years.

TigerHunter
2008-08-27, 10:18 PM
You also breath it in all the time.

I wonder how many mites and how much of their **** I've ingested over the years.
I believe it was touched on earlier in this thread that the most disgusting things you eat are contained in food.

Khanderas
2008-08-30, 06:33 AM
In every breth you inhale, millions of molecules was once exhaled by a Syphilis ridden 60+ year old toothless homeless alcoholic.

Wraithy
2008-08-30, 07:18 AM
In every breth you inhale, millions of molecules was once exhaled by a Syphilis ridden 60+ year old toothless homeless alcoholic.

Oh yeah? Well some of us like that thought!

Gem Flower
2008-08-30, 07:35 AM
I am one person. The other 6.3 billion people have just as complicated thoughts and feelings as me. I know this sounds self-centered, but think about it.

Khanderas
2008-08-30, 08:12 AM
I am one person. The other 6.3 billion people have just as complicated thoughts and feelings as me. I know this sounds self-centered, but think about it.
Sounds like the opposite of self-centered to me.
Edit: also, how is it disturbing ?

Gem Flower
2008-08-30, 08:16 AM
Faintly disturbing. It's just so...odd. We understand ourselves better than anyone else, and sometimes other people are unreal to us. Thinking about how many other people there are in the world just makes my brain go weird. Like right now.

mangosta71
2008-08-30, 11:51 AM
Wow, we're up to 6.3 billion worthless pawns? May have to do something about that.

TigerHunter
2008-08-30, 12:45 PM
Faintly disturbing. It's just so...odd. We understand ourselves better than anyone else, and sometimes other people are unreal to us. Thinking about how many other people there are in the world just makes my brain go weird. Like right now.
Big numbers always do that to me.

Though it's not the number of the people in the world that weirds me out the most, it's the size of it all. Watching galaxies fly by during the videos we watched in astronomy last year and realizing that calling Earth a speck of dust on one little galaxy would be flattering.

Also, when a quasar emits a pulse, the radiation released kills off every living thing in whatever galaxy the quasar is a part of. Entire civilizations and millions of species are being wiped out daily.

Wow, we're up to 6.3 billion worthless pawns? May have to do something about that.
Want to play chess?

Kneenibble
2008-08-30, 07:28 PM

The players who call pawns worthless are the easiest to defeat.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-30, 08:14 PM
We could be wiped out by a Quasar, and we wouldn't even know. You could be dead the second you finish this sentence, which is why I'm not putting a period at the end

TigerHunter
2008-08-30, 08:25 PM
The players who call pawns worthless are the easiest to defeat.
Why do you think I want to play him?

Phae Nymna
2008-08-30, 09:11 PM
The human body has about 6 quarts of blood in it.
Every time you donate a pint of blood, you lose about 8% of your blood.

Plan on cutting your wrists anytime soon? Don't.

The pain won't numb, and you might not have a chance to bleed out before it clots. 40+ stitches won't be fun, and you can be immediately committed to a mental hospital upon the whim of an emergency doctor because you attempted suicide. I quote a certain scandalous doctor here,"Dying is not a crime." It might not be, but you're considered mentally unstable for attempting to. Also, the heart pumps about 1-1.5 GPM (4-6 LPM), so your attempt to end it all will last about a minute give or take a few seconds, be excruciatingly painful to no end, and there's a chance you might survive due to your wounds clotting, in which case you can be instantly committed to a comfy, padded, soundproof room cell in a mental hospital where you may be placed in a straight jacket or sedated so as to prevent you from harming yourself more.

Collin152
2008-08-30, 09:15 PM
in which case you can be instantly committed to a comfy, padded, soundproof room.

I thought this is where people go when they die?

Phae Nymna
2008-08-30, 09:31 PM
I thought this is where people go when they die?

I fixed it. ^^

Vella_Malachite
2008-08-30, 09:32 PM
My friend gave me one that stopped the conversation dead:

What if there's no-one else in the world? What if you're the only one, all alone, and everyone else is a figment of your imagination. You'd never be able to tell.

Your parents don't exist, your dog/cat doesn't exist, the love of your life doesn't exist...
And you'd never know.

Collin152
2008-08-30, 09:40 PM
I fixed it. ^^

But isn't that where most people go when they die, and realise it was all just a simulation?

Jorkens
2008-08-30, 10:10 PM

What if there's no-one else in the world? What if you're the only one, all alone, and everyone else is a figment of your imagination. You'd never be able to tell.

Your parents don't exist, your dog/cat doesn't exist, the love of your life doesn't exist...
And you'd never know.
"All this is a dream. Still, examine it with a few experiments."
Michael Faraday, 1849.

Collin152
2008-08-30, 10:19 PM

And you'd never know.

Ah, but then, they'd never have existed.
But then, they're no differant than they were when you thought they did.
So what does it matter? The perfect illusion is reality, so long as it persists.

Can I get my name attatched to that line yet? I say it often enough.

bibliophile
2008-08-30, 10:27 PM
We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

-Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7 (Subject termination advised)

from Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri

Cyrano
2008-08-30, 10:37 PM
Meat.

No, really. Think about it.

Pyro
2008-08-30, 10:42 PM
snip

I can imagine a situation where someone who plans on cutting their wrists reads this and becomes even more depressed at the futility of the "easiest" to commit suicide.

Collin152
2008-08-30, 10:47 PM
I can imagine a situation where someone who plans on cutting their wrists reads this and becomes even more depressed at the futility of the "easiest" to commit suicide.

I thought the easiest way was to will your heart to stop beating?
Or am I the only one who can do that?

Pyro
2008-08-30, 10:57 PM
I thought the easiest way was to will your heart to stop beating?
Or am I the only one who can do that?

You too!?!?! Man I was sitting here all this time thinking I was the only one...:smalltongue:

Durp
2008-08-30, 11:52 PM
every second. 1 baby/mother dies in birth. :smallfrown:

KerfuffleMach2
2008-08-30, 11:57 PM
Everything you see, feel, taste, smell, and hear, everything you think and do is simply electro-chemical messages running through your nerves.

Suzuro
2008-08-31, 12:43 AM

Lucky I don't use pillows....

Oh, and on the LHC, I think the big issues is creating strangematter which will create an 'ice-9' effect (Vonnegut anyone?)

-Suzuro

UncleWolf
2008-09-01, 10:46 PM
Every year a person can end up eating 2 pounds of bugs.
most of this is in peanut butter and pasta sauces.

banjo1985
2008-09-02, 03:21 AM
In 8 days the worlds biggest Hadron Collider actually gets tested after several delays...get ready for the black hole people!

UncleWolf
2008-09-02, 08:31 AM
In 8 days the worlds biggest Hadron Collider actually gets tested after several delays...get ready for the black hole people!

You have to wonder, will we know when we get sucked in or will everything just sto

chiasaur11
2008-09-02, 01:52 PM
Maybe our so Called "Sentience" is actually just a twisted imitation of intillegence, and their are some hyper-smart beings up there laughing at out greatest philosophers.

Also, if locked in a room whit 100 other people, how many would resort o cannibalizim to survive. Would you?

No.
Most people don't taste nearly as good as you'd think.

Also, those viruses and fungi that take over brains.
One that could infect humans would probably, by now, learned to make itself undetectable...