PDA

View Full Version : somthing wrong

xelliea
2008-08-15, 04:44 PM
my elven cleric called X was rasied by lizardmen ( at the age of 10 he was lost alfter his village was attacked by orcs, some lizardmen found him with a rattel that looked like an egg thier god's holy sybol and as thier phrophecy fortold he would do great things so their high preist rasied him as a cleric at the age of 103 he sneaked out of the tribe after he saw he was not a lizardman, he went to the city andwas sent with the fighter and the monk to colanise the north) and the monk has a heart symbol

so what do we find a dead lizardman lizardman with a silver heart around his neak

any idears on what will happen next and what is going on:smallconfused:

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 04:46 PM
my cleric was rasied by lizardmen and the monk has a heart symbol

so what do we find a lizardman with a siver heart around his neak

any idears on what will happen next:smallconfused:

Captain Planet?

Er, seriously, having a little trouble understanding (is that severed heart or silver heart) and that is -not- enough context by any stretch of the imagination.

Spiryt
2008-08-15, 04:48 PM
Sorry, but in the first place, I have no idea what your post is about.

Can you make it a bit clearer?

Jayabalard
2008-08-15, 04:51 PM
Just so you're aware, D&D (especially 1eAD&D like you're playing) isn't a unified game. The campaign you're playing has nothing to do with with anyone else's game. You can't go out on the web and look up how to beat the quest that you're on, or how to win fights unless you give extremely detailed information to explain what is going on. You can't just throw out a couple of details of your campaign and expect to get any meaningful advice on what to do.

Matthew
2008-08-15, 05:06 PM
...unless you are playing a published module.

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 05:11 PM
...unless you are playing a published module.

And the DM follows it perfectly. The few times I've used published modules I have altered them.

Matthew
2008-08-15, 05:17 PM
And the DM follows it perfectly. The few times I've used published modules I have altered them.

Indeed. Personally, I tend to just "play the module", mainly because if I am using one it is because I was too busy to prepare for the regular game, but I know a lot of people use modules chiefly for inspiration or customise them to fit in with their campaign. All laudable approaches.

Spiryt
2008-08-15, 05:34 PM
Stating it clearly - it's nothing that we can say, as we have no idea what's in your DM mind. And what you wrote really isn't any popular trope or something.

And, BTW, 103 years is quite a long time for realising that oneself isn't a lizardman. :smalltongue:

FoE
2008-08-15, 05:35 PM
Perhaps your character's main concern should be not dying of old age. :smalltongue:

So what race is your cleric? You didn't actually say.

monty
2008-08-15, 05:38 PM
Perhaps your character's main concern should be not dying of old age. :smalltongue:

You never know, he could be an elf or something.

But I agree. Even elves aren't dumb enough to not notice that for 103 years.

AstralFire
2008-08-15, 05:50 PM
Indeed. Personally, I tend to just "play the module", mainly because if I am using one it is because I was too busy to prepare for the regular game, but I know a lot of people use modules chiefly for inspiration or customise them to fit in with their campaign. All laudable approaches.

Oh, I can understand that. I just have this palpable fear that someone will notice that I was in such a panic I hit DriveThru RPG or Wizards.com for a module so I -must- change the module so they will never know.

:D

FoE
2008-08-15, 05:52 PM
Son: Hello father. Are we going to go hunting today?
Father: Sit down son. It's time we have a chat.
Son: :smallconfused: What about, father?
Father: Son ... it's time for you know ... you're not a lizardman.
Son: WHAT?! Father, is this some kind of joke?
Father: :smallfrown: No, son, it's not.
Son: So ... so you've been lying to me this whole time?
Father: Umm, well, we kind of thought you'd pick up on your true nature by now.
Son: And how would I do that?! I've been raised as a lizardman my whole life; why would I think I was any different?
Father: For one thing, you have pink skin. And hair.
Son: What if I have a rare medical conition that keeps me scaleless?!
Father: You can't eat any of the same foods that we do.
Son: I have a finicky palate.
Father: You're warm-blooded and don't lay eggs.
Son: Maybe I'll grow into it! :smallfurious:

Glyphic
2008-08-15, 05:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, I know some species are like this.. but I don't think the son can be faulted for his inability to lay eggs.

RebelRogue
2008-08-15, 06:02 PM
If a player comes up with a background story, in which his parents/family/whatever are slain by orcs, I ask him/her to rewrite it! Too much of a cliche!

Hurlbut
2008-08-15, 06:10 PM
If a player comes up with a background story, in which his parents/family/whatever are slain by orcs, I ask him/her to rewrite it! Too much of a cliche!If the orcs are in your world and you didn't change their demeanor much, there will be always survivors from orc attacks and villages will always get sacked by orcs. :smalltongue:

RebelRogue
2008-08-15, 06:33 PM
If the orcs are in your world and you didn't change their demeanor much, there will be always survivors from orc attacks and villages will always get sacked by orcs. :smalltongue:
I'm not doubting the logic of such people existing. I'm just saying "Please! You can do better than that!"

chiasaur11
2008-08-15, 06:34 PM
You never know, he could be an elf or something.

But I agree. Even elves aren't dumb enough to not notice that for 103 years.

I'm not sure.
I mean, Elves.

On the other hand, he could be a Kobold or other scaly race. Less likely to notice the small differences.

Mewtarthio
2008-08-15, 06:38 PM
I'm not doubting the logic of such people existing. I'm just saying "Please! You can do better than that!"

To whom? The players or the orcs?

FMArthur
2008-08-15, 07:34 PM
103 years and still at Int 3. Sad.

chiasaur11
2008-08-15, 08:09 PM
To whom? The players or the orcs?

The Orcs.
I mean, considering the number of orphans, they must miss half of any given village!

Waspinator
2008-08-15, 08:51 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of ways to handle published modules. One of the big decision points involves the inevitable town that's featured in the thing that the adventure is based out of. Whether or not you insert that town into your campagin world or modify the adventure to fit a previously-existing town is pretty much just the DM's call.

Also, there's the possibility of a DM using the encounters from a module as-is but changing the reason why you're there. It might still be a collapsed dungeon full of goblins or whatever, but maybe you're there because they stole something from the town or because they kidnapped someone or because your characters are racist jerks or any number of possible other reasons.

RebelRogue
2008-08-15, 08:54 PM
The Orcs.
I mean, considering the number of orphans, they must miss half of any given village!
:smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-15, 09:01 PM
I make my characters orphans as self-defense. I have a DM that will use anything you tell him about your character against you, so I make sure to give him nothing, and that has become automatic for me now. Though I never have the family killed. It's usually just disease/starvation/living in a midevil time period without good medicine. My characters are usually adults, so it's not unheard of for their parents to have died, and with the usual infant mortality rate, no siblings is not uncommon. It's only when you look at my gaming as a whole you notice that none of my characters have any potential hostages for the GM to use. At all. Just in case he decides to be a bastard to me that session.

Chronos
2008-08-15, 10:37 PM
...unless you are playing a published module.Regardless of the point about modifying modules, though, it doesn't look likely that the DM is following a module (at least, not for whatever this situation is), because it sure looks like, whatever is going on, it involves the backstory xelliea made up himself.

As for "discovering he's not a lizardfolk", that could also mean "discovering that it's relevant that he's not a lizardfolk". Like, maybe, he just hit puberty (at whatever age that happens for whatever his real race is), and is suddenly realizing that none of the female lizardfolk are interested in him.

Bassetking
2008-08-16, 12:06 AM
If a player comes up with a background story, in which his parents/family/whatever are slain by orcs, I ask him/her to rewrite it! Too much of a cliche!

In a convention game with pre-generated characters, I was handed a half-elf to play, and told that I could not change my race on grounds of "Extreme wussiness".

So, I gave him a backstory where his poor village was looted and burned by a rampaging tribe of aristocratic, snooty, pointy-eared, tree-hugging hippy-elves, and that he was the unfortunate offspring of the actions the elves took that night. That all his life he had been shunned and ostracized from this farming village due to his frailty and effeminate features. That none of the other lads of his village would ever let him join in their sporting events, and the frequent shame he brought upon his family, by demanding to exercise his hereditary cultural practices of playing the Lute, and composing ballads.

You know; wholly subverting the whole "Half-orc" archetype backstory.

...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

Good times.

Swok
2008-08-16, 12:09 AM
...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

Nothing to contribute to this thread but...Can I sig that?

xelliea
2008-08-16, 04:18 AM
i thought you would know that only elves can live to be that old

i took him a few years to manage to escape

Bassetking
2008-08-16, 12:24 PM
Nothing to contribute to this thread but...Can I sig that?

You certainly may.

Aneantir
2008-08-16, 12:44 PM

Well, other races can live to be that old and older. Right out the PHB, Dwarves don't reach venerable age until 250, gnomes at 200, half-elves at 125, halflings at 100 but live 5d20 years after, so they reach, at the minimum, 105 before dieing of old age.

Then, if you take a look at the XPH, you're looking at 250 years for duergar, 120 for half-giants, 220 for Maenads, 120 for Xephs, and a titanic 1000 years for Elans.

So, we really had no idea what race you were, as those are only a few options out of so many more.

Ecalsneerg
2008-08-16, 04:34 PM
Elans got errata'd. They never die of old age.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-08-16, 04:39 PM

According to d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight), they still have a Venerable age though.

Aneantir
2008-08-16, 06:11 PM
Whether they die of old age or not isn't in question, the point is they can become really, really old, as with many other races. So, xelliea, you should not expect us to automatically assume that just because a race is old, or that it has a long life span, that it would be an Elf.

FMArthur
2008-08-16, 06:28 PM
Why was it necessary to change the Elan's age limit?

OP: I don't think it's all that clear what you are asking in this topic. Do you want guesses as to what might happen, or were you hoping for more than just guesses?

Ecalsneerg
2008-08-16, 06:32 PM
Why was it necessary to change the Elan's age limit?

It was originally intended to be immortal, they just printed it wrong in the book.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-16, 08:52 PM
Son: And how would I do that?! I've been raised as a lizardman my whole life; why would I think I was any different?

:smallbiggrin: That's awesome.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-16, 09:09 PM

Well, there's also the possibility that 103 was a typo; while it would be odd, it's doable on a numeric keypad and not out of line with the OP in general.

So again, are you looking for random guesses, or canonical theories, or...?

Also, re: sons laying eggs, maybe these lizardmen change gender when there's an imbalance in the tribe. Some critters do I seem to recall hearing... frogs iirc, maybe others? But generally, a small thing vs the greatness of FoE's post.

Lyndworm
2008-08-17, 12:27 AM
Just frogs and fish. I can't recall hearing about any reptiles that swicth sexes, but that doesn't neccisarily mean that there aren't any.

Zack

paladinlady
2008-08-17, 01:26 AM
I wonder why a silver heart was mentioned....May be it was stolen from some one else... and is important to the game :smallsmile:

Helgraf
2008-08-17, 01:38 AM
I make my characters orphans as self-defense. I have a DM that will use anything you tell him about your character against you, so I make sure to give him nothing, and that has become automatic for me now. Though I never have the family killed. It's usually just disease/starvation/living in a midevil time period without good medicine. My characters are usually adults, so it's not unheard of for their parents to have died, and with the usual infant mortality rate, no siblings is not uncommon. It's only when you look at my gaming as a whole you notice that none of my characters have any potential hostages for the GM to use. At all. Just in case he decides to be a bastard to me that session.

Ahh, the "no connections" character.

Where does he go when he has a problem?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-17, 01:40 AM
Ahh, the "no connections" character.

Where does he go when he has a problem?

The nearest tavern :smalltongue:

arguskos
2008-08-17, 01:46 AM
The nearest tavern
Cue campaign beginning. :smallwink:

-argus

xelliea
2008-08-17, 04:27 AM

nice that is very good

xelliea
2008-08-17, 04:39 AM
I wonder why a silver heart was mentioned....May be it was stolen from some one else... and is important to the game :smallsmile:
the monk has one

Waspinator
2008-08-19, 01:00 PM
He has a silver heart? You should have a doctor look at that, it might be serious. :smallbiggrin:

Burley
2008-08-19, 02:48 PM
my elven cleric called X was rasied by lizardmen ( at the age of 10 he was lost alfter his village was attacked by orcs, some lizardmen found him with a rattel that looked like an egg thier god's holy sybol and as thier phrophecy fortold he would do great things so their high preist rasied him as a cleric at the age of 103 he sneaked out of the tribe after he saw he was not a lizardman, he went to the city andwas sent with the fighter and the monk to colanise the north) and the monk has a heart symbol

so what do we find a dead lizardman lizardman with a silver heart around his neak

any idears on what will happen next and what is going on:smallconfused:

I think it's safe to say that Nobody here has any idears on what will happen next, nor do we have any idears on what is going on. All I can infer is that the story will probably never end, because there is no punctuation. Also, the entire world is missing letters.

What exactly are you wanting to know? Are you the DM and are looking for advice? Are you a player and asking for a spell that could help you divine the future? What is going on?

EagleWiz
2008-08-19, 06:35 PM
I know exactly whats going on.
Someone rolled a natural 1 when saving against intoxication.

Dr Bwaa
2008-08-19, 07:53 PM
I think it's safe to say that Nobody here has any idears on what will happen next, nor do we have any idears on what is going on. All I can infer is that the story will probably never end, because there is no punctuation.

Not quite true, if you look closely you'll find two parentheses, a comma and an apostrophe. If you look even more closlier, you'll find two colons as well! :smallbiggrin:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-19, 08:08 PM
Not quite true, if you look closely you'll find two parentheses, a comma and an apostrophe. If you look even more closlier, you'll find two colons as well! :smallbiggrin:

Ewwwwww... looking at two colons is two too many for me :smalltongue:

Occasional Sage
2008-08-19, 08:43 PM
Ewwwwww... looking at two colons is two too many for me :smalltongue:

You're on the internet. There are lots of colons around here.

monty
2008-08-19, 11:48 PM
You're on the internet. There are lots of colons around here.

Must...resist...urge to link to goatse!

Leon
2008-08-20, 02:35 AM

Just of boredem

Khanderas
2008-08-20, 03:30 AM
Intresting backstory, especially if he as an elf, actually holds on to his Lizardfolk heritage, such as hold true their gods, views of honor and would take offense to eating eggs, killing kobolds or other scalefolk for xp and such things (depending on what Lizardfolk actually do in that setting).

I think it would be quite a big waste of backstory to have him raised by Lizardfolk to just as soon as he gets big enough to stand on his own, immediatly walk to the nearest "civilised" town and from thereon live as any other elf with no more mentions to Lizardfolk.

I found it strange too that it took him 103 years to realise he was not a Lizardfolk, but Chronos raises a valid point. Being basically a kid all that time it would not be important. Pehraps his adopted parents died of old age, as well as their kids (his brothers and sisters), would push him to leave the village as he is saddened by the fact he does not age at the same rate, not to mention biological incompatability (but perhaps not taste.... :smallwink:)

Kid or not, 100 years is enough to pick up important lessons from the Lizardfolk, such as basic herbology, perhaps a level or so in druid, and wilderness survivial and such things more civilised races might not bother with in general.

bosssmiley
2008-08-20, 05:42 AM

Old Elans don't die; they just fade away (aka: turn invisible by removing all their clothes (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)). :smalltongue:

xelliea
2008-08-28, 06:33 AM
sorry, i play 1st edition so i only really know elves who get that old while only young

BobVosh
2008-08-28, 06:56 AM
Elves get to 103 without learning basic survival skills, unlike almost every other race. This means "this is an elf," and "this is a lizardfolk" is appropriately timed. Knowing what you are vs what they are is a very basic concept...yet so is using a fork.

"Becoming physically mature by the age of 25 and emotionally mature at around 125"

He is actually a fast learner. All praise those incrediably intelligent dangerous foes that are surpeme wizards...most magically adept window lickers!

my elven cleric called X
The second word implied he was an elf, by explicitly stating it. :P

Did he go back and edit it in or something?

nagora
2008-08-28, 07:59 AM
Well, other races can live to be that old and older. Right out the PHB, Dwarves don't reach venerable age until 250, gnomes at 200, half-elves at 125, halflings at 100 but live 5d20 years after, so they reach, at the minimum, 105 before dieing of old age.

He's playing 1e, so venerable ages are:
Dwarves: 351
Mtn Dwarves: 401
Dark elves: 801
Gray elves: 1501
High elves: 1201
Wood elves: 1101
Gnomes: 601
Half elves: 251
halflings: 145
Humans: 91

Ethdred
2008-08-28, 11:09 AM
And, BTW, 103 years is quite a long time for realising that oneself isn't a lizardman. :smalltongue:

Have you never seen The Jerk?

xelliea
2008-08-28, 11:26 AM
can you all stop bugging me sorry i did not say he was an elf at first

Knaight
2008-08-28, 05:21 PM
I seem to remember you asking for help. That said, if your looking for advice for what your character would do, taking the pendant, and talking to the monk and your tribe makes sense from what I know of your character.

Prometheus
2008-08-28, 06:03 PM
Sorry, but in the first place, I have no idea what your post is about.

Can you make it a bit clearer?
I think he wants us to continue the story.

On a more serious note, I think your DM is probably having an NPC threatn the party with a warning to you and the monk.

chiasaur11
2008-08-28, 07:27 PM
Have you never seen The Jerk?

Yes, but I remember relatively few lizardmen.

It was one of the film's few flaws.

sciencemile
2008-08-31, 03:09 PM
I just thought of the best plot twist for this....

...Orcs didn't really burn his village down, that was a lie; the Lizardfolk burned his village down, and the prophecy is that the chosen child has to be sacrificed once he has come of age to bring a new age of prosperity to the dwindling Lizardfolk tribe. :smallbiggrin: