PDA

View Full Version : Coconuts

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-15, 05:25 PM
I just opened up a young coconut, but this one looks different than any coconut I've seen before. The water is a rather deep pink color, and the meat is a pinkish-purplle color. This is my first time dealing with a young coconut, and I can't find anything describing how the stuff is supposed to look like, so I thought I'd ask the playground. Anyone know if this is normal? Or is something wrong with the nut?

Kneenibble
2008-08-15, 05:47 PM
I just opened up a young coconut, but this one looks different than any coconut I've seen before. The water is a rather deep pink color, and the meat is a pinkish-purplle color. This is my first time dealing with a young coconut, and I can't find anything describing how the stuff is supposed to look like, so I thought I'd ask the playground. Anyone know if this is normal? Or is something wrong with the nut?

Just remember: be gentle, and listen.

Heh.
I've never seen that colour in a young coconut when I've been in coconut-rich areas, but go by smell. Coconuts smell like ammonia when they're bad. Also, is the flesh still like jelly, or is it crunchy? Crunchiness is a sign of age.

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-15, 05:59 PM
Its still jelly, and it smells coconut-y, so I guess its good. Thank you.

Midnight Son
2008-08-15, 10:25 PM
Take a picture before you eat it...for science.

Ego Slayer
2008-08-15, 10:35 PM
And tell us what you're doing with a young coconut, anyway? Just a for-the-hell -of-it or is there something special about young ones? :smalltongue:

alchemyprime
2008-08-15, 10:37 PM
I have a question:

Did you, perchance, put a lime in a coconut? I heard it had amazing results.

Midnight Son
2008-08-15, 10:50 PM
And tell us what you're doing with a young coconut, anyway? Just a for-the-hell -of-it or is there something special about young ones? :smalltongue:Some things are better left unknown, Ego. What a man does with coconuts, young or otherwise, behind closed doors, is better imagined than revealed.:smallyuk:

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-15, 11:16 PM
Young Coconuts (http://images.google.com/images?q=young%20coconuts&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)

That's what it looks like (the second image). The difference between it and mature coconuts(the normal, hairy brown things) is that the green/white husk isn't removed, and the shell isn't brown. Oh, and the meat is like jelly, instead of hard. The main reason is that I saw one in the grocery store and thought that it might be neat to try it.

And wow. That comes off in a completely different manner if read as thinly veiled sex talk.... Thanks for bringing that side up, Midnight Son :smallyuk:.

Austran
2008-08-16, 04:15 AM
AH! Here in Brazil we call it green coconut (you can figure why)! They have more juice than older coconuts, the shell isn't fully developed, that's why it's soft, and the meat is quite tasty.

dish
2008-08-16, 09:56 AM
I have a question:

Did you, perchance, put a lime in a coconut? I heard it had amazing results.

Now I have the soundtrack to Reservoir Dogs in my head.

Actually, it's a pretty good soundtrack. :smallsmile:

alchemyprime
2008-08-16, 02:34 PM
Some one noticed the song reference! Props to dish!

Raiser Blade
2008-08-17, 02:34 AM
You put the lime in the coke you nut!

I've got a lovely bunch of... something... what was it again?

I can do this all day. :smalltongue: