PDA

View Full Version : Necrozeppelin! [Creature]

The Demented One
2008-08-15, 06:00 PM
Necrozeppelin
Colossal Undead
Hit Dice: 50d12+100 (425 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: Fly 125 ft. (25 squares) (clumsy)
Armor Class: 30 (-8 size, -2 Dexterity, +40 natural), touch 0, flatfooted 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +25/+53
Attack: Death Ray +24 ranged touch (1d6 negative levels) or Necrobomb +19 ranged (10d8)
Full Attack: Four Death Rays +24 ranged touch (1d6 negative levels) and 6 Necrobombs +19 ranged (10d8)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Death rays, living artillery, necrobombs
Special Qualities: All-around vision, desecrating aura, damage reduction 30/epic and piercing or slashing, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 20, immunity to cold, resistance to acid 40 and electricity 40, spell resistance 32, telepathy 100 ft., undead traits
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +22, Will +27
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 6, Con –, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 1
Skills: Bluff +25, Hide +12 (+24 in clouds), Intimidate +35, Knowledge (Arcana) +33, Knowledge (Geography) +33, Knowledge (Religion) +33, Listen +46, Martial Lore +33, Move Silently +28, Search +33, Sense Motive +33, Spot +46
Feats: HoverB, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Ability Focus (Death Ray), Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Improved Precise Shot, Positive Energy Resistance (http://www.realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Energy_Resistance,LM),
Epic Feats: Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Epic Fortitude, Superior Initiative, Uncanny Accuracy, Epic Prowess (x2)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or mixed group of undead
Challenge Rating: 20
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Neutral Evil
Advancement: 51-75 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: –

The Necrozeppelins are pinnacles of necromantic art, warships of unliving flesh commanded by disembodied brains awakened by dark magics. Each Necrozeppelin is a small warship, 30 ft. in length, with a hull of stitched-together skin, covered in eyes. From the underbelly of the Necrozeppelin, four cannons known as death rays extrude, capable of firing lancing beams of negative energy to strike at enemies on the ground or in the air. Though Necrozeppelins require a huge number of corpses to be animated and cooperative efforts between multiple powerful necromancers, their extraordinary power makes them one of the greatest servants a necromancer could have. Necrozeppelins are of above-average intelligent, but have no emotion and little sense of self. They are able to communicate telepathically, typically doing no more than shouting out threats of extermination to intimidate their foes. Most necromancers will pair a Necrozeppelin with an army of other undead, allowing the Necrozeppelin to rain down its death rays while the lesser undead tear their weakened foes apart.

Death Rays (Su)
A Necrozeppelin has four cannon-like structures, carved from animated bone and reinforced with bands of obsidian, that protrude from its underbelly. These are its death rays, capable of firing beams of focused negative energy with a range of 60 ft. Any creature hit by a death ray gains 1d6 negative levels. The save DC to remove the negative levels is 30, and is Charisma-based. Any creature that dies while it still has negative levels from a death ray attacks rises immediately as a ghoul under the Necrozeppelin’s control. Because of the arrangement of its death rays, a Necrozeppelin can never attack the same creature with more than two of them at one time.

Living Artillery (Ex)
A Necrozeppelin adds its Intelligence modifier on all ranged attack rolls and initiative checks instead of its Dexterity modifier.

Necrobombs (Ex)
A Necrozeppelin can extrude tumor-like portions of animate flesh from its body that explode on impact. When a Necrozeppelin attacks with a necrobomb, it must target a square, and make an attack roll against DC 20. If it succeeds, the necrobomb detonates in that square; if it fails, it detonates in a randomly chosen adjacent square. All creatures within a 30-ft. radius of the necrobomb take 10d8 damage, Reflex DC 30 for half. Half of this damage results from negative energy, while the other half is cold damage. When a Necrozeppelin attacks with multiple necrobombs in one round, the squares it targets must be at least 30 ft. away from each other. The save is Charisma-based.

All-Around Vision (Ex)
A Necrozeppelin’s exterior is covered in animated eyes, providing a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks. A Necrozeppelin can’t be flanked.

Desecrating Aura (Su)
A Necrozeppelin give off a 60-foot radius emanation of utter desecration, imbuing its surroundings with negative energy. This ability works much like a desecrate spell, except that Necrozeppelin is treated as the shrine of an evil power. All undead within 60 feet of the Necrozeppelin (including the creature itself) gain a +2 profane bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws, and +2 hit points per HD. (The Necrozeppelin Hit Dice, attack, and save entries given here include these profane bonuses.) Charisma checks made to turn undead within this area take a -6 penalty. A Necrozeppelin’s desecrating aura cannot be dispelled except by a dispel evil spell or similar effect. If the effect is dispelled, the Necrozeppelin can resume it as a free action on its next turn. Its desecrating aura is suppressed if a Necrozeppelin enters a consecrated or hallowed area, but the Necrozeppelin’s presence also suppresses the consecrated or hallowed effect for as long as it remains in the area.

Skills
A Necrozeppelin gains a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks, and a +12 racial bonus on Hide checks made to hide in cloudy or stormy areas.

Creating a Necrozeppelin
Creating a Necrozeppelin is a lengthy and difficult process, requiring three major steps: animating the hull, constructing the death rays, and creating the ship’s brain.

Constructing the body of the Necrozeppelin requires assembling the corpses of 64 Medium creatures, or an equivalent mass of creatures of different sizes. A DC 50 Craft (Shipbuilding) check is required to assemble the hull. Once that is done, six 20th-level spellcasters must each cast create undead on the hull, all at the same time. Doing so animates the ship, but it cannot move or act until a brain has been placed within it.

The next step is assembling the death rays. Each death ray is a wondrous item, requiring the energy drain spell to create, and with a base market price of 30,000 gp (although this is an abstraction, as they are almost never sold). The death rays are powered by a Necrozeppelin’s desecrating aura, and thus do not function individually. Installing each death rays requires a DC 40 Craft (Shipbuilding) check. A standard Necrozeppelin can have only 4 death rays installed on them, although it is possible to make one with less. However, an advanced Necrozeppelin can have more installed, one additional death ray for every 12 additional HD.

The final step is creating the ship’s brain. The brain must come from a corporeal creature of Medium to Colossal size, with both Intelligence and Wisdom scores of at least 16. A 20th level spellcaster must then cast create greater undead on the brain, followed by awaken undead. The brain must then be placed within a preservative tank, and then inserted into the heart of the Necrozeppelin. With that complete, the Necrozeppelin is fully animated.

Kiren
2008-08-15, 06:41 PM
Nice, I like the idea,

Fako
2008-08-15, 07:10 PM
Undead Flagships! I like ^_^

One question though: What does Spell Resistance XX equate to?

The Demented One
2008-08-15, 07:13 PM

One question though: What does Spell Resistance XX equate to?
It equates to I need to go back in and edit in the actual value.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-15, 07:28 PM
Gruesome! A ghastly gas-ship to ground the heroes to the gristly grunge music!

It's harder than it looks.

Lappy9000
2008-08-15, 09:50 PM
Man, that name lives like a necro zeppelin!

Led Zeppelin references aside, I like the feel to this one.
I really wish I would have seen this before I gave my party an airship from the nation dealing with necromancy and undead armies :smallannoyed:

The Demented One
2008-08-15, 09:52 PM
Man, that name lives like a necro zeppelin!

Led Zeppelin references aside, I like the feel to this one.
I really wish I would have seen this before I gave my party an airship from the nation dealing with necromancy and undead armies :smallannoyed:
Maybe the Necrozeppelin's just stored somewhere in the ship, ready to be deployed at a moment's notice...

Devin
2008-08-15, 09:56 PM
I'm imagining the interior as a "Living Dungeon" with lots of organic ooze and pulsing flesh.

SilentNight
2008-08-15, 09:59 PM
Nice. I'm seeing hordes upon hordes of skeletons with tons of these flying overhead. Very nice.

The Demented One
2008-08-15, 10:10 PM
I'm imagining the interior as a "Living Dungeon" with lots of organic ooze and pulsing flesh.
While I didn't want to give any specifics on the interior, that'd be a neat interpretation to use; that or a barracks full of ghouls. The zep's small size is a bit of a hindrance, but the DM should feel free to advance its size and just handwave it.

Atticus Bleak
2008-08-15, 10:27 PM
My good Demented one, my most recent character thanks you. I've been playing a Monk/Necromancer/Enlightened Fist, and being that I sell coffins i ride around in a cart with a huge skull (won from a BBEG) as a lid, and a skeletal horse (a gift from a necromancer in Undermountain) pulling it, but now i have a way to torment the world from the sky! I mean...Save people...From the...Flying doom ship! XD Anyway, good work man, this is quite the beast. Hats off, my Gallifreyian friend.

expirement10K14
2008-08-16, 12:16 AM
The Demented One, you have a gift.

This is perfect for a campaign- fill the inside with oozes, undead and aberrations, and it is the perfect mobile living dungeon.

Great Job.

DracoDei
2008-08-16, 01:30 AM
Great idea.
The execution on the Necro-bombs need some work. Make them splash weapons (keeping the 30' radius) with a range increment of 50 feet (or maybe less) unlimited maximium range (although with more scatter if the standard splash weapon rules don't cover that), and use the standard scatter rules (vs AC 5 for a square), and state that the target location must be at least twice as far below the creature as it is to one side (since these are bombs, and not catapult stones!). You might want to change the degree to which it can lob them, but other than that I really feel that the way I have phrased it is the way to go... High altitude bombing should be possible but inaccurate IMHO, and re-inventing the wheel as far as AC to hit a target square and such seems pointless....

Also, 60 feet seems VERY short range for the death rays... gives them a service altitude of about 30 feet in massed battle... make it 30' range increment (max 150') or something...

Bhu
2008-08-16, 03:45 AM
Undead blimps......

eeeeeeeexccellent....

Scaboroth
2008-08-16, 05:11 AM
Death literally raining from the skies.

Hell to the yeah.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-16, 05:34 AM
...and here I thought the Corpse Gatherer was cool.

If I had an Internet, I would present you with one...

JoshuaZ
2008-08-16, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure the CR is accurate. It maybe should be a little higher given the Death Rays and "damage reduction 30/epic and piercing or slashing". This should probably be CR 22 or 23.

Also minor nitpick, in Necrobombs "tumor-like portions of animate flesh from" "animate" should probably be "animated".

D Knight
2008-08-16, 03:15 PM
dude i just want to thank you for creating the Necrozeppelin becuase now i have a airship to airship battle being planed as i type this. so aging thanks for the airship and the amazing work you did.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-16, 10:37 PM
Totally neat idea. Nothing says 'floating doom fortress' like an undead zeppelin. Here's a thought: how about, since we're going with the necro motif (necrozeppelin, necrobombs) you give it a necrodrive, and feeding people to it empowers its necromantic energies to heal itself or make it move faster, or something? Just a thought.

I'd also like to see a living version of this ship, something aberrations might cruise around in. More of a Zerg-type motif.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-16, 11:11 PM
Duuuude!

This is awesome. This is beyond awesome. You win as many Internets as you can carry.

chaiyo
2008-08-25, 09:44 PM
Wow. This is the best way to hang the destruction of a slew of living zeppelins over my PCs' heads. I can just see a BBEG laughing maniacally at the helm.

I'd also like to see a living version of this ship, something aberrations might cruise around in. More of a Zerg-type motif.

I had exactly that in mind when I wrote the zeppelids! (Running a Ravnica campaign) I'll reference this thread if I ever get the stats up.

Anyway, a few on-topic things. I understand that the construction of one of these behemoths is rather non-standard, but could there be a summary of materials? Just wondering. Also, the SR seems a couple points low for a CR 20 creature, though you could have just intended it to be a little more penetrable than average ones. Lastly, I would also recommend raising the CR to 22.

The Demented One
2008-08-25, 10:19 PM
Anyway, a few on-topic things. I understand that the construction of one of these behemoths is rather non-standard, but could there be a summary of materials?
The corpses of sixty-four Medium creatures (or 32 Large creatures, or 128 Small creatures, and so on
Shipbuilding tools
120,000 gp, used in creating the death rays
The brain of a corporeal creature of Medium to Colossal size, with Intelligence and Wisdom scores of at least 16
17,500 gp of spell components

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-08-25, 10:40 PM
*gapes... and weeps*

imp_fireball
2008-08-25, 10:59 PM

Although a frigate from eve-verse could nail it pretty awesomely. :P

Asheram
2008-08-26, 04:07 AM
A necro-blimp... The image I get in my head is a small Zerg Overlord...

munchlord
2008-08-26, 04:19 AM
AWESOMESAUCE! if I get the time (and I do) then the abberation version will be made :D

chaiyo
2008-08-26, 05:18 PM
The corpses of sixty-four Medium creatures (or 32 Large creatures, or 128 Small creatures, and so on
Shipbuilding tools
120,000 gp, used in creating the death rays
The brain of a corporeal creature of Medium to Colossal size, with Intelligence and Wisdom scores of at least 16
17,500 gp of spell components

Thanks! Another thing I noticed was that none of the weapons specify whether their target is just Air to Ground, or if they can fire Death Rays and bombs in Air to Air combat, though the latter would have less of a success rate except if fired directly downward onto an air target. That wouldn't be so different, though, so mainly the question is for the former.

Nightblade
2008-08-28, 07:23 PM
I hope my DM doesn't see this, once I realized what it was, it gave me a little shiver down my spine >.>