PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Lists & Public Groups?

Zeta Kai
2008-08-15, 08:37 PM
Does anybody use these things? If nobody uses them (or only an insignificant number of people do), could we eliminate these features? We could perhaps trade them out for a return of the polls, which seems to have been a popular feature.

Rawhide
2008-08-15, 09:04 PM
There are no public groups, "___ is not a member of any public groups" just appears in the profile because there is no setting to remove it. Polls, as I've said before, will never return, not in the form that they were before.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-15, 09:11 PM
Polls, as I've said before, will never return, not in the form that they were before.

Now that's an interesting hedge. Is there meaning to that, or is it just a CYA in case things change before the heat death of the universe?

Ego Slayer
2008-08-15, 09:28 PM
Does anybody use these things? If nobody uses them (or only an insignificant number of people do), could we eliminate these features? We could perhaps trade them out for a return of the polls, which seems to have been a popular feature.
No one is tradin' my Buddy List for anything! <<

It's actually important/useful. >>

Occasional Sage
2008-08-15, 09:30 PM
No one is tradin' my Buddy List for anything! <<

It's actually important/useful. >>

How so? I've never messed with it, it seemed minimally-useful when I looked at it back in the day and I've never gone back.

Rawhide
2008-08-15, 10:19 PM
Now that's an interesting hedge. Is there meaning to that, or is it just a CYA in case things change before the heat death of the universe?

It means, mods can make polls and will on occasion for official/important reasons, but the free form polls of old are gone.

Ego Slayer
2008-08-15, 10:22 PM
How so? I've never messed with it, it seemed minimally-useful when I looked at it back in the day and I've never gone back.
Main thing would be is you can set it so that only people on said list can PM you. Which can actually be a useful thing.

B-Man
2008-08-15, 11:30 PM
Main thing would be is you can set it so that only people on said list can PM you. Which can actually be a useful thing.

Also, not to mention, that it shows you if people are on-line if they are on your Buddy List. It's semi-useful for those that still remember the "Who's On-line" box we used to have.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-16, 11:50 PM
Also, not to mention, that it shows you if people are on-line if they are on your Buddy List. It's semi-useful for those that still remember the "Who's On-line" box we used to have.

I can see whenever a particular poster is online; for instance, none of the previous posters to this thread are online when I posted this. Can't you see this?

Ego Slayer
2008-08-17, 12:01 AM
There's a difference between having to hunt down a post from whoever you're looking for, opposed to just looking at the list.

B-Man
2008-08-17, 12:02 AM
I can see whenever a particular poster is online; for instance, none of the previous posters to this thread are online when I posted this. Can't you see this?

Yes I can, but I was meaning a group of people instead of individuals. Instead of looking for their most recent posts, you are able to see if they are on-line (if they aren't set to invisible, like I am).

EDIT: Bah, simu'd à la quicker typing.

Rawhide
2008-08-17, 12:04 AM
There really needs to be no discussion about this. Buddy lists are not going away, polls are not coming back and public groups don't exist.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-17, 09:17 AM
There really needs to be no discussion about this. Buddy lists are not going away, polls are not coming back and public groups don't exist.

Thank you for the clarification. Now we know, & knowing is half the battle.:smallwink:
I can only assume that the other half of the battle involves a weapon of some sort.