PDA

View Full Version : Mindflayer Matrix

Solaris
2008-08-15, 09:09 PM
After a player asked me to start running a psionic-based campaign, I came up with the idea of: The Mindflayer Matrix.
Basically, it's an illithid empire that sticks a fair number of captured slaves in what amounts to virtual reality pods to keep them from escaping or going bad while they hold onto them and wait to eat 'em. The squiddies just abduct people, erase memory of the abduction, and then the people wake up in the illithids' Matrix-type deal to carry on their lives as 'normal' until a mind flayer gets hungry. Cue logical extrapolation from there.

The Demented One
2008-08-15, 09:15 PM
That would actually make rather more sense than in the Matrix itself; the Illithids cold use the Matrix to stimulate the abductee's brains, give them time to get nice and full of tasty, tasty knowledge. Now, would the players be rescuing people from the pods, or would they start out in the Matrix, and have to escape?

Mewtarthio
2008-08-15, 09:19 PM
As an added bonus, the power already exists. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/microcosm.htm)

Fostire
2008-08-15, 09:45 PM
Well illithids are supposed to be super intelligent so eventually they had to discover agriculture, except, you know, with brains.

Scaboroth
2008-08-16, 04:21 AM
See and now I'm picturing a hillbilly mindflayer (hillbillithid?) in overalls, with a straw hat, and a pitchfork. I think his name is Jed...

bosssmiley
2008-08-16, 05:30 AM
That would actually make rather more sense than in the Matrix itself; the Illithids cold use the Matrix to stimulate the abductee's brains, give them time to get nice and full of tasty, tasty knowledge. Now, would the players be rescuing people from the pods, or would they start out in the Matrix, and have to escape?

Oh nice.

A variation on this: you could have the Illithids use the Flaytrix to indoctrinate their slaves into seeing the 'flayers as the secret guardians of 'their world'. The awakened slave could be preconditioned to believe he is working (either as a Thought Policeman within the dream world, or as a favoured thrall in the outer world) to help the Illithids protect 'his world' from the insane outer menaces who would destroy it. Said menaces being the enemies and rebellious elements designated by the Illithids.

Possible origin story for the Gith and their development of psionic abilities: this isn't the first Flaytrix. :smallcool:

The Demented One
2008-08-16, 08:36 AM
See and now I'm picturing a hillbilly mindflayer (hillbillithid?) in overalls, with a straw hat, and a pitchfork. I think his name is Jed...
Poor telepath, barely kept his victims 'flayed?

Zeful
2008-08-16, 10:00 AM
After a player asked me to start running a psionic-based campaign, I came up with the idea of: The Mindflayer Matrix.
Basically, it's an illithid empire that sticks a fair number of captured slaves in what amounts to virtual reality pods to keep them from escaping or going bad while they hold onto them and wait to eat 'em. The squiddies just abduct people, erase memory of the abduction, and then the people wake up in the illithids' Matrix-type deal to carry on their lives as 'normal' until a mind flayer gets hungry. Cue logical extrapolation from there.

This is cool. I may use it in my own game someday...

expirement10K14
2008-08-16, 11:25 AM
Flaytrix
Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Psion/Wilder 9
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Medium, 100ft +10ft/caster level
Target: Room, up to 10,000 square feet.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 20

This power turns an area into the Flaytrix. Any helpless creature, or a creature at less than half its hit points, that enter the area are instantly rendered unconscious and enter the Flaytrix. The Flaytrix is almost identical to the material plane, but only a specified part of it. This power erases all memory of the targets capture.

The Flaytrix does not affect Mind Flayers or any mindless creatures.

Done quickly, but it works.