PDA

View Full Version : Optimized Wildshaper

Lyndworm
2008-08-15, 10:15 PM
I'm looking for a PVP build compatible with both one on one and team battles. My character concept is a wildshaper of some sort (variant classes are allowed, so it doesn't neccisarily have to start out as a Druid). Unfortunately, no spells are allowed.

I'm thinking of going Master of Many Forms and Warshaper, form Complete Adventurer and Complete Warior, respectively.

Gestalt, ECL 15, and no multi-class penalties, but I am still bound by alignment restrictions.

Books allowed are Complete Aventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Warrior, Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack, Tome of Battle, and Magic Item Compendium in addition to the SRD. I have access to all of these, as well.

My stats are 18, 17, 16, 15, 12, 10. These can be applied to any stat.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87720) is the link to the recruitment thread.

Hopefully I remembered everything. Thanks a lot, guys.

Zack

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-15, 10:23 PM
Shifter Monk 1/Warshaper 4/MoMF 10//Druid 15. The same build works with Changeling, but Shifter is better for it. Max Wis and Con, proceed to win. Alternatively, Barb 1/Swordsage 4/Warshaper 4/Swordsage 6//Druid 15. Make it an Anthro Bat or something(I like Jermaline, from MMIII), and again, win.

Edit: Missed the books allowed part. No bat, and no shifter. That makes the first build junk. Huh, I'll think about this.

Lochar
2008-08-15, 10:25 PM
No spells, sstoopid. So I'd suggest ranger wildshape variant on the other side instead of druid 15.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-15, 10:38 PM
Did I not read the first post? I must be more tired than I thought.

So, Druid 9/MoMF 6//Barb 1/Warblade 4/Warshaper 4/Warblade 6. Full Wildshape, 12th level initiation, and all the benefits from Warshaper and MoMF 6. 18 Con, 17 Int, 16 Wis, 15 Dex, 12 Str, 10 Cha. Rearange levels as needed for initiating, but fully legal, and lots of benefits that last while transformed. Pick up Wilding Heavy Armor, put all your level boosts into Con, and prepare to beat the Barb up in 2 rounds.

Lyndworm
2008-08-15, 11:58 PM
Thanks a lot, Sstoopid, I'll look into that. In which book is Wilding armor? (I can't recall for the life of me.)

Any other suggestions, such as feats, maneuvers, stances, or alternate builds, would be greatly appreciated.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a race that raises Intelligence and Constitution?

Zack

Ionizer
2008-08-16, 02:32 AM
Thanks a lot, Sstoopid, I'll look into that. In which book is Wilding armor? (I can't recall for the life of me.)

Any other suggestions, such as feats, maneuvers, stances, or alternate builds, would be greatly appreciated.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a race that raises Intelligence and Constitution?

Zack

Wild Armor is in the DMG on page 219. Alternatively, here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#wild).

You may also want to look into Beastskin Armor. It can be found on page 127 in CAdv. This is it's ability:
Beastskin
When using Wild Shape, you may expend an additional daily use
to make the armor reshape to fit your new form (instead of
merging with your body). You gain all the bonus & penalties of
your armor (such as Armor Check penalty).
Strong Transmutation; CL13; Craft Arms & Armor, Ironwood; Price: +2 bonus

If your Armor has any special abilities, such as Fire Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fireResistance), Ghost Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#ghostTouchArmor), or Fortification (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification), those abilites will only work in Wild Shape if the Armor is Beastskin (and you activate it by expending an extra Wild Shape), not if it's Wild.

Also, according to Crystal Keep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php), there is no race that gives a bonus to both Int and Con.

Lyndworm
2008-08-16, 02:50 AM
Thanks a lot, Ionizer. I'll probably go with your suggestion of Beastskin armor. I don't really need to save my wildshape uses in arena style combat, and it's cheaper.

Too bad about there being no Con/Int race... To the homebrew forums!

Zack

Iku Rex
2008-08-16, 03:32 AM
If the Unearthd Arcana part of the SRD you probably want to use wild shape ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) to qualify for MoMF.

Nature's Warrior (CAdv) works well with MoMF.

Keep in mind that wild shape lasts a long time. If you know you're getting into a fight you have plenty of time to put on armor and equipment. You can even be permanently in wild shape, taking off and putting on your gear every few hours. A called (MIC) armor lets you put on armor in seconds. Skin of ectoplasmic armor (MIC) might work even after a wild shape.

What wild shape form(s) are you planning on using?

Siegel
2008-08-16, 04:00 AM
Monk 1 / Totemist 14 //

on one side, gives you more natural attacks and "items" while you are wildshaped

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-08-16, 04:21 AM
You want to take the feat Frozen Wild Shape from Frostburn and be in the form of a 12-headed Cryohydra at all times. If you had PHB2 allowed I'd say use Robilar's Gambit, but with those books you'll have to settle for Karmic Strike (CW) to get a 12-bite AoO every time you're attacked. Put your highest stats on Wis and Con and get a Monk's Belt, or take a few levels of Monk since it is gestalt.

Lyndworm
2008-08-17, 10:12 PM
Does anyone recall where the Sizing weapon quaity is? If the weilder changes size, the weapon changes with them. I know I read it somewhere, but I can't remember. It's really bugging me.

Zack

Eldariel
2008-08-17, 10:44 PM
Complete Adventurer.

Chronos
2008-08-17, 11:34 PM
Monk 1 / Totemist 14 //

on one side, gives you more natural attacks and "items" while you are wildshapedGood idea, but Magic of Incarnum isn't on the list of allowed books.

Lyndworm
2008-08-18, 02:50 AM
Complete Adventurer.

I looked there but didn't see it. I'll check again, thanks.

Zack

Iku Rex
2008-08-18, 02:56 AM
Sizing is most recently in the MIC. +5000 gp, change to any size category as swift action.

Eldariel
2008-08-18, 03:17 AM
In CAdv, it's page 127. But Iku Rex is right, it's in MiC and that's the newer version, which takes precedence. It's also far better as it's a set price instead of a +1, and a swift action instead of a standard action.

Talic
2008-08-18, 05:06 AM
I'm looking for a PVP build compatible with both one on one and team battles. My character concept is a wildshaper of some sort (variant classes are allowed, so it doesn't neccisarily have to start out as a Druid). Unfortunately, no spells are allowed.

I'm thinking of going Master of Many Forms and Warshaper, form Complete Adventurer and Complete Warior, respectively.

Gestalt, ECL 15, and no multi-class penalties, but I am still bound by alignment restrictions.

Books allowed are Complete Aventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Warrior, Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack, Tome of Battle, and Magic Item Compendium in addition to the SRD. I have access to all of these, as well.

My stats are 18, 17, 16, 15, 12, 10. These can be applied to any stat.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87720) is the link to the recruitment thread.

Hopefully I remembered everything. Thanks a lot, guys.

Zack

Stats: Str: 10. Dex: 12. Con: 18. Int: 16. Wis: 17. Cha: 15.

Classes: Druid 15 // Warblade 5/Master of many forms 7/Warshaper 2/Nature's Warrior 1.

Nature's Warrior - Grab Serpent's Coils ability.

Warblade - Tiger's Claw. Swift action jump. Other abilities to taste.

Warshaper - Extra reach.

Now, you can start a round 20-30 feet from something, swift jump to it, grapple, pin, damage. Cut off speech. Or swift action jump in, followed by full attack.

In team play, couple with a class that has access to Antimagic field, or powerful dispelling for Freedom of Movement Removal.

Alternately, Replace Warshaper 5 with fighter 5, and go for the Shocktrooper/Ubercharge route with an animal that has pounce. I like Dire Tigers. Best of all, with multiattack, your secondaries (all of them) only have a -2 penalty to hit, and all get power attack. When combined with Leaping attack, they'll all get 1 for 2.

So, in tiger form, if you have a +23 to hit, you'll have +23 (bite), +21 (claw), +21 (claw), +21 (rake), +21 (rake).... All with 5' extra reach, and, assuming a +12 BAB, +24 damage.

That's 120 damage before even factoring the damage in the SRD entry.

You can have Freedom of movement up yourself in that instance, and, on your action, Swift action jump back, followed by charge 2.

Swooper
2008-08-18, 05:41 AM
In CAdv, it's page 127. But Iku Rex is right, it's in MiC and that's the newer version, which takes precedence. It's also far better as it's a set price instead of a +1, and a swift action instead of a standard action.
(Emphasis mine)

Powergamer's rule #5: If the latest version or errata is better than the old version, use it. If not, it's perfectly fine to have no idea that there's an errata :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Edit: I suppose this has nothing to do with the thread, sorry about that :smallredface:

Lyndworm
2008-08-22, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the help, guys. I've got down my stats, classes, and feats. I'm working on my items, still. Three things elude me at the moment. The first is fractional base saves, which I've never used before. The second and third are stances and maneuvers. I'm new to Tome of Battle, and to be honest, I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm not sure of what types of abilities I should be selecting, or of quite how many I get.

My progression is:
Wildshape Barbarian/Druidic Avenger 1 (Good Fort and Will, poor Ref)
Wildshape Barbarian/Warblade 4 (Good Fort, poor Ref and Will)
Wildshape Barbarian/Master of Many Forms 4 (Good Fort and Ref, poor Will)
Warblade/Master of Many Forms 3 (Good Fort and Ref, poor Will)
Warblade/Warshaper 3 (Good Fort, poor Ref and Will)

This leads to:
Wildshape Barbarian 9, Druidic Avenger 1, Warblade 10, Master of Many Forms 7, Warshaper 3

Obviously I have a full good Fort, but Ref and Will... I'm not so sure.

For the record, a Wildshape Barbarian (WsB) is a Barbarian with wildshape (Small-Medium only, but the MoMF gives Tiny, Large, and Huge), favored enemies, and no rage. Everything else is standard, though gestalt.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for all the work you've already done.

Zack

monty
2008-08-22, 04:37 PM
Obviously I have a full good Fort, but Ref and Will... I'm not so sure.

If you're not sure, it might be simpler to use the fractional variant. That is, every level of a class with a good save is +1/2 (and another +2 at level 1, for 2 1/2 at first level), and every level of a poor save is +1/3. Add it up and round down. This also works for BAB, using 1, 3/4, and 1/2.