PDA

View Full Version : [4e] First session recap or "I'm having a lot of fun!"

Ashdate
2008-08-15, 10:38 PM
(I'm sure there are some other threads similar to this, but I did not find one within the first 5 pages of posts, thus was figuring starting this one was okay)

After a few months of vacations ruining everything, we got underway with our first 4e campaign (1st level). I was playing a Dwarven Fighter, very much set up to tank (Battleaxe and Shield, Tide of Iron, Cleave, Passing Attack, and Comeback Strike, with the Soldier of Faith cross-class ability). We also had a human wizard, a dwarven cleric (battle orientated. He had an 18 str! I dunno if that was worth him having a 10 con...) and an elven ranger. With us was a temporary Warlord PC who was helping us get through some underdark tunnels so we could all escape being executed the next morning :)

I've got to say, I was absolutely love being the fighter. I've been chomping at the bit to play him for months, and in action he's performing almost exactly as I expected him to. The only thing I missed was that to keep a target marked with Divine Challenge, you need to attack it (difficult without pulling out one of my handaxes) or end your turn next to it. Even still, it allows me to mark a target, and as long as I stay near it, which I'm sure will come in handy.

It's also extremely satisfying to ask the DM when he attacks someone else with a creature I've marked. Twice this session it prevented an attack from hitting, which is extremely rad. Otherwise, my high AC (19) and fort (15) has made a few attacks which would surely hit another PC fail.

Finally, on the fighter side, being a Dwarf is awesome. Second Wind as a free action is pretty keen, and the "Stand Your Ground" ability is pretty swell too, preventing 3/4 of the knockdown effects that session from happening.

I've also got to say that what we fought was pretty challenging! First was some Hobgoblin warlock or something, some scorpions, a pair of dire rats, and a goblin sneak (tough fight!). Second was two swarms of lizard things (thank you 19 AC) followed by a skeleton/ mechanical wolf thing (who were pretty easy).The damage and "to hit" the monsters seem to be a little higher than the PC's. I really wasn't expecting to get hit for 20 damage at level one, when I've only got 31 total (thank goodness for Comeback Strike, with some help from the cleric and warlord). Yeah, my damage isn't anything impressive, but I don't mind. My thing is about battlefield control, and so far that's worked pretty well. It went a little slow, but the rules seem a lot simpler than 3.5 so I'm hoping that combat will speed up a little next session, especially once everyone can figure out their attacks without referring to the book.

(Big time ball drop by Wizards: the pre-made character sheets for the Shadowkeep preview were brilliant. Why not create two sheets, one for 'non combat' and one for combat, where one can list their powers out in full like the book does? that would save a lot of time. The current one is adequate but could be so much better like that)

No skill challenges yet. That's fine, since I'm a combat guy anyway :)

- Eddie

Swok
2008-08-15, 10:42 PM
Nice to see you're having so much fun. The paladin in the group I'm playing in is having a blast with Champion of Order. He gets the normal paladin challenge punishment, and he gets an OA. He's quite the beast.

We haven't actually used skill challenges though, as we mostly freeform roleplaying up to a point (we still can't do things the character doesn't know, for example).

Starbuck_II
2008-08-15, 11:27 PM
(I'm sure there are some other threads similar to this, but I did not find one within the first 5 pages of posts, thus was figuring starting this one was okay)

After a few months of vacations ruining everything, we got underway with our first 4e campaign (1st level). I was playing a Dwarven Fighter, very much set up to tank (Battleaxe and Shield, Tide of Iron, Cleave, Passing Attack, and Comeback Strike, with the Soldier of Faith cross-class ability).

So why the cross classing/multiclassing?

Finally, on the fighter side, being a Dwarf is awesome. Second Wind as a free action is pretty keen, and the "Stand Your Ground" ability is pretty swell too, preventing 3/4 of the knockdown effects that session from happening.

Really, what caused the knockdowns?

But yeah, Dwarfs do seem good with second wind. I can't count how many times I wish my Tiefling in a game could only use Second Wind and still attack.

Sounds like a fun campaign so far.

Helgraf
2008-08-16, 01:53 AM

Minor but important nitpick. Dwarven Resilence makes taking your second wind a Minor action, not a Free one.

Ashdate
2008-08-16, 05:22 AM
So why the cross classing/multiclassing?

Really, what caused the knockdowns?

Mostly because the ability to mark another target as a minor action seemed pretty good. Also, it allows me to pick a Paladin Paragon class, which mostly all seem better suited for the 'tanking' role.

The Knockdowns were caused by those lizard swarms I mentioned. They could make on their turn a fortitude attack to pull someone down. The DM said they'd do extra damage if they attacked someone whom was prone; luckily my fort save is pretty good too.

And yes, Helgraf is completely right, it is a Minor Action to use Second Wind. That's how we played it, I just flubbed it when I was talking about it.

- Eddie

Ned the undead
2008-08-17, 12:17 AM
Mostly because the ability to mark another target as a minor action seemed pretty good. Also, it allows me to pick a Paladin Paragon class, which mostly all seem better suited for the 'tanking' role.

The Knockdowns were caused by those lizard swarms I mentioned. They could make on their turn a fortitude attack to pull someone down. The DM said they'd do extra damage if they attacked someone whom was prone; luckily my fort save is pretty good too.

And yes, Helgraf is completely right, it is a Minor Action to use Second Wind. That's how we played it, I just flubbed it when I was talking about it.

- Eddie

Iron Vanguard.

Helgraf
2008-08-17, 01:19 AM
Iron Vanguard.

Sure, if you happen to already be paragon level, that works.

Ashdate
2008-08-17, 04:26 PM
Iron Vanguard.

This is getting a little off topic but...

... Iron Vanguard as a 'tanking' class seems poor. It's 11th level abilities make you a little harder to kill, but I feel a good 'tanking' paragon path should be more about preventing your allies from taking damage, than worrying about you taking damage.

I'm going to be building my character with as much AC and fort/ref/will defense as I can muster. Gaining a few hitpoints whenever I kill an enemy (which isn't probably going to be too likely, my focus isn't on pumping out damage) and the odd +4 to all defenses isn't likely to protect my allies as much as either the Astral Weapon or Champion of Order's are.

Astral Weapon has the immediate negative associated with attacking a tank's allies. Yes, it's other 11th level ability is kind of useless, but it's first presents a big disincentive to attacking anyone other than me. The Champion of Order has a neat 11th level ability that allows me to make an opportunity attack whenever they make an attack that does not include me (that I've Divine Challenged). The way my DM reads it, a creature marked by Divine Challenge is considered marked for being a warrior too, thus it would also give me an immediate interrupt attack action as well! None Shall Pass ups my Divine Challengeness, which isn't too bad.

Anyway, it's certainly a matter of preference. There doesn't seem to be a 'best' tanking class (except maybe a Hospitaler, wow!), but given how I like the Utility of the Paladin class-specific feat I think the Paladin's Paragon paths are worth looking into.

- Eddie