PDA

View Full Version : Favorite imported video game?

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-16, 09:20 AM
There are quite a few games that are only released in Japan, or, on occasion, Europe.

Sometimes, the games are later included in compilations of U.S. releases, or rereleased in the U.S. with extra features. They may even be put up for purchase on the Wii's virtual console.

As for me, my favorite of these would probably be Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (http://www.vc-reviews.com/games/nes/bio_miracle_bokutte_upa).

I didn't think too much about it when I first saw it, (the game's protagonist was a baby, after all,) but after watching a gameplay video and reading various reviews, I decided to give it a try.

It was a fantastic little platformer. Konami really did a great job making this game stand out. The gameplay is unique, as instead of jumping on enemies you inflate them, and ride them as platforms until they explode. You can also push the inflated enemy towards other enemies as a weapon (this is how you defeat bosses.) The music was also quite catchy, the controls were very smooth, and some of the levels were just plain crazy.

There's even a world that takes place inside a giant computer, with the Konami logo visible on the microchips. One level in this world is upside down, and requires that you stay on the ceiling to avoid falling upwards into the "sky" of the computer world, which is basically a bottomless pit.

There's also a world made entirely out of school supplies. No joke.

What's your favorite imported game?

Diddgery
2008-08-16, 10:45 AM
MOTHER3.

I don't think any more needs to be said.

The Evil Thing
2008-08-16, 10:46 AM
Fate/Stay Night imported from the Far East set me back £60 and it's worth every penny.

Tsukihime comes a close second, but I didn't import that, I bought it off eBay.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-16, 02:04 PM
Mother 3, no question about it.
FE 6 is pretty good, as is Doshin the Giant. Not much else comes to mind.

Geno9999
2008-08-16, 02:22 PM
Well... Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (2 in Japan)
This game is Hardcore HARD, it was released in America only by Super Mario All-Stars, which gave the game it's "Lost Levels" name. It's also for Wiiware for 600 points. WARNING! Again, this is a prime example of Nintendo Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard). Play at your own risk (of pulling out all of your hair).

freerangetroll
2008-08-16, 03:02 PM
I don't know if these technically count since they do get released stateside (albeit fairly long after their over seas releases), but I would have to say any of the games in The Romance of the kingdoms series.

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-18, 06:13 PM
Well... Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (2 in Japan)
This game is Hardcore HARD, it was released in America only by Super Mario All-Stars, which gave the game it's "Lost Levels" name. It's also for Wiiware for 600 points. WARNING! Again, this is a prime example of Nintendo Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard). Play at your own risk (of pulling out all of your hair).

I have that game. I never got past world 4.

I agree, this game is tough, and that probably explains why we got Doki Doki Mario instead.

Poison_Fish
2008-08-19, 12:23 AM
Disgaea for being utterly awesome.

Dairun Cates
2008-08-19, 12:38 AM
Hmm... That's a toughie. It's a toss-up between Ouendan 2 or Jump Ultimate Stars. They're both sequels, but they're just so damn well-put together. On top of that, they're not so text heavy that my 2 semesters of Japanese can't handle.

One's a shockingly solid fighting game in the vein of Smash Bros. with a crazy innovative comic panel system, and the other is just a music game made of pure win.

Really hard to say.

Ghal Marak
2008-08-19, 12:57 AM
One of mine would have to be Shining Force EXA, a close second being Mana Khemia: Alchemist of Al-Revis.

Triaxx
2008-08-19, 06:06 AM
Bahamut Lagoon. Awesome game.

BanjoTheClown
2008-08-21, 02:56 AM
I second Bahamut Lagoon. Also, that one Tales game i cant remember the name of right now.

Silfir
2008-08-21, 02:59 AM
Sins of a Solar Empire.

Don't look at me like that. We get different games imported depending on where we live :)

Drascin
2008-08-21, 04:19 AM
Disgaea for being utterly awesome.

But Disgaea did get realased mostly worldwide, didn't it? :smallconfused:

Anyway, cast another vote for Ouendan 2. Yay WJT games

Tengu_temp
2008-08-21, 06:35 AM
Bahamut Lagoon, as two people already mentioned, or Super Robot Wars: Original Generations for PS2. I only know what characters are saying because I played the English GBA version, and it's still extremely cool.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-21, 11:50 AM
Cossacks: European Wars was fun... So was Heroes of Might and Magic 5. They were technically imported to here although both were originally made in my original country...

black_Lizzard
2008-08-25, 07:38 PM
I guess this technically doesn't count, but i bought Sacred:Gold off amazon.com. Apparently i ordered it from some game store in England because the original game was rated T, but this one had tons of blood. Was tons of fun to play an archer, you could get multiple shot and exploding arrow and some enchantment to pierce through enemies on the same shot. So I would herd a bunch of monsters into a small area, shoot that combo, and enjoy as 20-40 enemies just exploded in a shower of blood. :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-25, 10:39 PM
Bahamut Lagoon, as two people already mentioned, or Super Robot Wars: Original Generations for PS2. I only know what characters are saying because I played the English GBA version, and it's still extremely cool.Most SRW can be counted here, I think. I particularly want Alpha 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epALdu0bdVo&fmt=18) at some point, but not knowing how to mod a North American PS2 properly, I can give my direct recommendations to A(dvance) and R(eversal) for the GBA. J(ustice) is next on my list.

Shikton
2008-08-26, 01:06 AM
Suikoden 3 and Xenogears here in Europe. Easily.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-26, 03:41 AM
Most SRW can be counted here, I think. I particularly want Alpha 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epALdu0bdVo&fmt=18) at some point, but not knowing how to mod a North American PS2 properly, I can give my direct recommendations to A(dvance) and R(eversal) for the GBA. J(ustice) is next on my list.

Well, I only played OGs.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-26, 02:10 PM
So get a GBA and J, genius. Or W, if you have a DS (I don't).

Handheld games are, overall, the easiest ones to import.

EDIT: Ooh, or Advance Portable if you happen to have a PSP for some unholy reason.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-26, 02:38 PM
You misunderstood me. I cannot list SRW other than OGs here, because I didn't play them. If I wanted to play them, I'd get them. But I don't for now.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-26, 09:08 PM
That's why I'm telling you to get them, duh. I've only played two, and don't really have anything else to contribute to this thread besides "I want the other ones also".