PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Who?

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-16, 10:21 AM
Hey, anyone here like Dr. Who? (That's a stupid question, but, y'know.) Honestly, I've never seen an episode, but it looks interesting, but again, it's a case of "show older than I am with a continuity I have no idea about," so, is it on DVD or anything? Also, is there anything I should really know before I go into it?

Jibar
2008-08-16, 10:26 AM
David Tennant is the sex.
Seriously? His hair is lush. And he's Scottish! Bonus Accent Sexiness.
That's an opinion shared by me and all my female friends.
Fun Fact: I'm not gay. David Tennant is just really attractive.
So yes, yes. It is very good.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-16, 10:28 AM
Doctor Who is very good. Very good indeed (a few new series episodes are a bit naff and a the later classic episodes are poor, but on the whole it is the awesomesause).

The program name is Doctor Who BTW, not Dr. Who?

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-16, 10:32 AM
The program name is Doctor Who BTW, not Dr. Who?

I know. I was being clever/:smallwink:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-16, 10:33 AM
The Dr. contraction is not what caused me to comment, the BBC has done that, but the ? has no place there.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-16, 10:36 AM
I know. I meant, that I was trying to be like, 'I don't know who the doctor is.'

DeathQuaker
2008-08-16, 10:48 AM
Hey, anyone here like Dr. Who? (That's a stupid question, but, y'know.) Honestly, I've never seen an episode, but it looks interesting, but again, it's a case of "show older than I am with a continuity I have no idea about," so, is it on DVD or anything? Also, is there anything I should really know before I go into it?

The "classic" series ran from 1963-1989, and each story was in a serial half-hour format made up of several episodes. Many of these stories are packaged on DVD with commentary and a number of behind the scenes extras, but by no means are all the stories released yet, because there's a TON.

The new series began in 2005 and is still being made (though the upcoming year is only going to be 5 specials rather than a full 13 episode season). Each episode is about 45 min long and are usually single stories, with a few multiparters. It obviously has much higher production values than the old series (but as pioneers of oldskool special effects, classic Who can't be beat :smalltongue:). Although NuWho has plenty of nods to the old series, they're done in such a way that you don't have to know what they are--it's basically a wink to the people in the know while the story is completely comprehensible by a new audience.

If you want to start with the new series, the first three seasons are out in DVD boxset. The fourth will probably be released this November or thereabouts.

If you want to read a lot of babble, I recently made a list of my favorite/recommended episodes of both old series and new on my livejournal: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com/41397.html -- which may serve as a start of a guide if you're looking into oldWho as well as nuWho (but note that it is spammed full of my personal opinion, not an objective guide).

Other Doctor Who related stuff: there's also a "for adults" spinoff called "Torchwood" whose quality varies from episode to episode (the 2nd season is generally better, YMMV), and a "for kids" spinoff called "The Sarah Jane Adventures" which stars a woman who used to be one of the Doctor's companions in the early 70s. Of the two, I've found TSJA to be better written with more likeable characters and consistent storytelling.

thegurullamen
2008-08-16, 01:06 PM
Although NuWho has plenty of nods to the old series, they're done in such a way that you don't have to know what they are--it's basically a wink to the people in the know while the story is completely comprehensible by a new audience.

Quoted for Truth. Pretty much all you need to know going in. Bonuses include A) writing by Steven Moffat (of Coupling fame), B) humor along the same lines as HHGttG and C) notable actors and great performances throughout the Nuseries (Though YMMV).

Cespenar
2008-08-16, 04:36 PM
Contrasting almost the whole Doctor Who community, I prefer Christopher Eccleston to David Tennant as the Doctor. Not by much, but really, he was way more badass than Tennant, who I think to be emphasizing the "fun" factor of the Doctor more than his "badass" factor.

But really, nice show. The speech of the Daleks cracks me up every time.

Dr. Bath
2008-08-16, 04:39 PM
@^ That is exactly what I think. No one I know will agree with me though. Silly Eccleston, shoulda stayed around a bit longer.

But yeah. New series are pretty cool. Some of the old ones too.

DeathQuaker
2008-08-16, 05:08 PM
I like both Eccleston AND Tennant equally, so there. :smalltongue:

But my favorite is Peter Davison. :smallwink:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-16, 05:13 PM
My Doctor hierarchy is 10, 1, 9, 6, 5, 7, 2, 3, 4, 8

Closet_Skeleton
2008-08-16, 05:27 PM
My Doctor hierarchy is 10, 1, 9, 6, 5, 7, 2, 3, 4, 8

I can understand putting the 1 who appeared once last, but putting Tom Baker second to last and then putting Collin Baker (the most unpleasant of the lot) as fourth favourite is an odd choice.

Cespenar
2008-08-16, 05:49 PM
Unfortunately I missed the "classic" series. How are they in comparison to the new series? Frankly, I'm a bit biased against old science fictions (in TV), since the visuals can be so cheesy.

factotum
2008-08-17, 01:31 AM
Well, the REALLY old Dr. Who didn't have cheesy visuals--they were just crap. And it was always odd how most alien planets looked like a quarry somewhere in the Home Counties. SFX improved mightily later on--in fact, they had a Dalek flying up stairs during the McCoy era, so it came as no surprise when they started doing the same in the new series!

However, it was always the story that kept you watching. Something like "Genesis of the Daleks" is just an awesome story, ropey special effects be damned!

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-17, 03:16 AM
Hey, I liked Eccleston better than Tennant. Mainly because it Eccleston is funny and amusing. Tennant seems to be there to amuse himself and because he's really bored and we're just watching him do it.

PS: never seen the old series.

But I picked up great from the new series (As long as you see the first episode, Doctor and Rose, you're okay, it explains pretty much everything).

Kaelaroth
2008-08-17, 08:01 AM
Love it. Love it. And, although I don't have as much of a crush on Tennant as everyone else, I can appreciate it. Eccleston was my sci-fi-candy. :smalltongue:

DeathQuaker
2008-08-17, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately I missed the "classic" series. How are they in comparison to the new series? Frankly, I'm a bit biased against old science fictions (in TV), since the visuals can be so cheesy.

It was a BBC show on a cheap budget, so yes, the visuals are going to be awful in some cases (but when you think about what they had to work with, it's impressive to see what they came up with at times). They will tell you there is less focus on the characters, which is true to some extent, but the better companions still have good backstory and there's a lot of fantastic banter throughout. Plots vary from serial to serial, but some are still fantastic, IMHO.

The 1960s serials have some fantastic stories to them--the only thing is they were long, half-hour-episode series, so if you watch a single story (made up of 4-8 episodes) you'll find the pacing to be VERY slow by modern standards, so YMMV. One thing you'd have to get used to is the First Doctor is rather irascible and very non-heroic--he actually essentially kidnaps his first human companions (because, not being that familiar with Earth yet, he's afraid they'll report him and the TARDIS to the authorities, so he just takes off with them in the TARDIS). The characters are generally wonderful, with some of the first companions in my mind still being among the best--the gentle yet headstrong Barbara who gives the Doctor what-for when he needs it (a template for Donna), the stubborn science teacher Ian who discovers bravery within him and becomes a noble protector, the young but bright Vicki who becomes a protege of the Doctor's after he leaves his granddaughter on Earth to marry... etc. The Daleks in their first story weren't a mockery of alien baddies who always survive despite being asskicked over and over agian---they were monsters literally mutated by war, presented in a story exploring the possible results of nuclear holocaust.

The Second Doctor was gentler and more silly, and brilliant in his own way. Shame a lot of his episodes were lost, but the ones that exist are fantastic. "The Invasion" and "Tomb of the Cybermen" are--including comparisons to the new series' eps--some of the best Cybermen stories ever, IMO. Also, Zoe and Jamie are wonderful companions.

The 70s I find YMMV for the Early part. Personally, the Third Doctor is my least favorite as I find him arrogant and too "perfect" in what he's capable of---but other people will tell you he is the best and only Doctor ever. The early stories were almost entirely Earthbound, with the Doctor working with UNIT, a multinational organization designed to protect Earth from alien invasion. He had an awesome hot-scientist companion Liz, a ditzy companion Jo, and then comes Sarah Jane, whom everyone claims is brilliant and feminist and feisty, and she just seems like a screamer to me, always hiding behind the Doctors' coattails. I'd say the Third Doctor's best stories include "Inferno" (he falls into an alternate universe and sees how a scientific project could end in disaster and he has to convince people on his own plane what would happen. His biggest enemy isn't the monsters, it's the stubbornness of the corporation and military folks involved in the project).

Then comes the Fourth Doctor, the famous scarf wearing Tom Baker. Goofy yet falling back to old-skool irascibleness at times. After Sarah Jane and medic Harry Sullivan, comes scantily clad warrior woman Leela. If you hate hot women in loincloths defeating aliens with knives, don't watch this era of Doctor Who. If it intrigues you, I suggest "The Robots of Death" and the "Talons of Weng Chiang" and "The Horror of Fang Rock." (these are what's out on DVD). Then the Doctor goes on an absolutely brilliantly executed and written quest for the Key to Time (big ass DVD box set) with fellow Time Lord (Lady) Romana, who is TEH HAWT and also TEH AWESMOE. Romana changes into someone cuter and blonder, and they hunt spaghetti-headed monsters in Paris--also good fun ("The City of Death").

We come into the Eighties which has a fun cast (gentle youth Peter Davison as the Doctor) but very "YMMV" scripts. Some stories hold together well--"Four to Doomsday," "Earthshock", "Enlightenment"--and others are frankly a load of silly nonsense ("Time Flight," "Black Orchid", even to some degree "Arc of Infinity" just for a lot of implausibility). There's a lot of companions in this era, which is supposed to be hearkening back to the 60s TARDIS crews, except the writers don't handle the larger ensemble cast as well. (When they do, it's good, though).

Colin Baker and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat continue the eighties accompanied by a whiny pair of breasts with a fake American accent named Peri. This is a great Doctor marred by some really awful scripts and the lowest of low budgets. Worth watching "Vengeance on Varos" and "The Mark of the Rani" though (the latter being that "Mark" introduces one of the better Time Lord adversaries, IMO).

The end of the era comes with Sylvester McCoy, sometimes clownish and sometimes very dark. The first season is very shaky, with a companion who never gets a backstory, so we have no reason to like her (especially since she screams very painfully). But then comes explosives wielding Ace, and the destroying Daleks with baseball bats ensues, and all is wonderful, until the plots stop making any sense starting with "Ghost Light."

More than you ever wanted to know. People shouldn't let me talk about Doctor Who.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-17, 08:30 AM
I can understand putting the 1 who appeared once last, but putting Tom Baker second to last and then putting Collin Baker (the most unpleasant of the lot) as fourth favourite is an odd choice.The clown in the scarf always gets on my nerves. As for Doctor Six, heaven forbid that a BBC protagonist has either depth or a hint of darkness. He may not have always been a nice guy, but he was a well rounded character with a different slant on things. In short after the irritation of 4 and the nice and gentle 5 he was interesting and more willing to call people out on their failings (his "true corruption" speech in Trial of the Timelords for example) and did not go round offering amnesty and salvation to genocydal aliens who he had just beaten.

Cespenar
2008-08-17, 01:50 PM
everything about Doctor Who

Heh, Now I feel like I've seen them all. Thanks.

So, big question. Did the first Doctor had the same sonic screwdriver as well?

Closet_Skeleton
2008-08-17, 02:37 PM
So, big question. Did the first Doctor had the same sonic screwdriver as well?

No, I think Tom Baker had that first, but I haven't checked or anything. Tom Baker's got broken at one point so it's not really the same one anyway.

Athaniar
2008-08-17, 04:17 PM
Ah, one of my favorite shows, this is. I first saw the 9th Doctor episodes on one channel, then I saw some 10th Doctor episodes on YouTube and that "TV-Links" site, a pity it was shut down, and now I'm watching the old episodes on another channel. Seen up to the beginning of the 4th Doctor so far (Revenge of the Cybermen as I post this).

EX-TER-MIN-ATE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAk2HjHSGbo)

Various
2008-08-17, 04:43 PM
What does YMMV mean? I sincerely wish people would stop using acronyms, especially if they're writing over a page of material anyway.

Athaniar
2008-08-17, 04:46 PM
YMMV? No idea, haven't heard that one before, I think.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-17, 04:50 PM
No, I think Tom Baker had that first, but I haven't checked or anything. Tom Baker's got broken at one point so it's not really the same one anyway.

The SSC was first seen in the hands of The Second Doctor. It was little used and barely seen in the Third Doctor's ere. It was with Doctor number 4 it gained mass use and Doctor number 5 it was killed off.

Innis Cabal
2008-08-17, 05:01 PM
Your Millage May Vary

Glawackus
2008-08-17, 05:25 PM
I went out and bought a toy sonic screwdriver at the local Newbury Comics, and screwed around with it at my Tech Services job one day, pointing it at doors and CAT-5 ports at things. I hope this answers your question about whether I like the show. :smalltongue:

As far as the new Doctor episodes, Glawackus approves of:

Ninth Doctor
Dalek
That's right, just one. But it was a good introduction (for me, at least) for the iconic Doctor Who alien.

The Long Game
Creepy "what's going onnn heeeere" episode, with the companion kid who only sticks around for one episode or something.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Gas mask zombies! And Captain Jack Harkness, who's pretty much my favorite companion ever.

Tenth Doctor
The Christmas Invasion
Robot Santa Clauses from space. Deadly Christmas trees. And Hitchhiker's in-jokes.

Tooth and Claw
Queen Victoria vs. werewolves. Well, a werewolf. And the backstory of the semi-sinister Torchwood Institute.

The Lazarus Experiment
Cool villain in this one...I don't really remember much else. :S

Blink
Required viewing. The Doctor is barely even in this, but by the time it's over, you'll wish that Sally Sparrow was the next companion. Plus, the Schroedinger's Cat-inspired Weeping Angels are some seriously terrifying villains.

Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords
Tremendous three-part season finale, with a big-time villain from the Doctor's past turning everything to 11 for a big showdown on Earth. (I don't want to drop any spoilers, although I will say the ending is kinda schmaltzy.)

Voyage of the Damned
Another solid Christmas special. An alien-built Titanic takes a cruise by Earth at Christmas, with the Doctor stowing away onboard. (Of course things go wrong.)

Partners in Crime
This was my introduction to Donna, as I'd never seen The Runaway Bride. A fun episode, with cute lil' aliens and a cool, different villain.

Planet of the Ood
Another cool, fun episode. The Cthulhu-esque Ood turn out to be surprisingly sympathetic.

The Doctor's Daughter
Some people didn't really like this one, but I enjoyed it. Neat twist, and the title character is, uh, superfine. :smallwink:

The Unicorn and the Wasp
The Doctor teams up with Agatha Christie to solve one trippy murder mystery.

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
Steven Moffat (the guy who did Blink) hits it out of the park, again. I love the ending. (Shut up if you think it's too sappy.)

The Stolen Earth/Journey's End
Russell T. Davies, the producer, is leaving the show, so he pulled everything together into one ginormous season finale. Captain Jack! Martha! Donna! The Judoon! The Shadow Proclamation! Warning: sad ending.

DeathQuaker
2008-08-17, 05:39 PM
What does YMMV mean? I sincerely wish people would stop using acronyms, especially if they're writing over a page of material anyway.

I am sorry my verbosity displeases you. But if I spelled it out, the post would have even been longer. :smalltongue:

Someone already mentioned, but it's "Your mileage may vary." It's commonly used on this board, so I assumed most readers would get it, or have the resources to quickly Google it. I failed you, and I am ashamed. :smallredface:

Bryn
2008-08-17, 06:02 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/
That's all you need to find out any acronym that anyone uses, here or most other places.

As I mentioned in the other threads, I'm a big fan of Dr Who, although I'm afraid to admit that my knowledge of the old series is limited to Wikipedia.

Anyway, I'm glad RTD is going; he wrote some good episodes, but after seeing what he did to the Daleks in the most recent finale, and knowing how downright amazing Moffat is at writing, I'm very eager for the change. No more words because I hate having people complain loudly about something I like and RTD seems pretty popular round here :smallamused:

Hazkali
2008-08-18, 02:47 AM
I'm a good fan of Dr Who; not every episode is my favourite, but then that's mostly becuase Russel T. Davies is an idiot. I respect the man for bringing back the programme in such a wonderful incarnation but honestly, does he have no card other than "deus ex machina" in his repertoire? That, and Gridlock was so awful I almost cried.

Stephen Moffat, on the other hand, is my God. All his episodes have been winners and have far surpassed most of the finales in terms of quality, although not scale. I am so excited to see how his finales are going to turn out it gorram hurts.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-18, 09:39 AM
I'm a good fan of Dr Who; not every episode is my favourite, but then that's mostly becuase Russel T. Davies is an idiot. I respect the man for bringing back the programme in such a wonderful incarnation but honestly, does he have no card other than "deus ex machina" in his repertoire? That, and Gridlock was so awful I almost cried.

The problem I have with Russty is the fact that he has out and out admited that he is using a family TV show to try and make hetrosexulaity seem old fashioned and repressive. He wants children to come away with the view that gay and bi are BETTER than straight.

I don't mind his views, but setting out to force them (or any sexuality views for that matter) down young children's throats is WRONG. If he depicted Depraved Bisexual (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DepravedBisexual) after Depraved Bisexual he would be roasted alive for it.

Deth Muncher
2008-08-18, 09:50 AM
To be honest, I've only ever seen one episode: that being the last episode of the last season...which...er...I beleive aired the second or third week of July in Ireland? It's just been released in the states, as I recall.

In any event, having seen but one episode, I can't formulate a terrible huge opinion of the show. I thought most of the bad guys were pretty cheesy, but I had that explained to me as they were copying the 60's baddies.

I still have yet to figure out precisely why the Doctor was flying around in a telephone booth, but I'm sure it makes perfect sense to all of you who know the show. ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME. I plan on going back and watching the show, so I'd prefer not to know.

All in all, despite its cheesiness, I thought it was a damn fine show.

horngeek
2008-08-18, 05:32 PM
The reason why the TARDIS looks like a phone box is because it is broken. :smallbiggrin:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-18, 05:43 PM
horngeek
ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME....

Bryn
2008-08-18, 06:15 PM
To be honest, I've only ever seen one episode: that being the last episode of the last season...which...er...I beleive aired the second or third week of July in Ireland? It's just been released in the states, as I recall.

Your first episode was a Russell T. Davies finale? Oh, you poor, poor soul. It's usually much better, please don't be put off! I reccomend any episode at all that was written by Steven Moffat, most especially Blink. If you'd like to see the Daleks done right, go back to one of the earlier episodes of the new series (and presumably the old series, but you'd have to ask someone who was alive when it aired). Either way, don't extrapolate from the episode you saw to judge the entire series :smalleek:

turkishproverb
2008-08-18, 08:17 PM
I have to say, Davies is getting bashed here a little more than he deserves. The man isn't bad writter/creator, merely a rather limited one. And as to the bisexuality issue, I'm

A: not seeing the heterosexuals are worse than homosexuals vibe.

And B: frankly I'm just glad someone finally made the show remotely real in diversity. I mean, seriously, how was Mickey the first non white companion?

DeathQuaker
2008-08-18, 08:52 PM
Davies has made some good stuff, but I agree that his finales are actually the major weak points to the new series. Especially in regard to the fourth season... nearly every episode was brilliant EXCEPT the last one, which was a load of fanwank and camp piled with technobabble and then a twist for completely unnecessary wangst at the end. RTD proved he could do better with "Midnight" a few episodes earlier, so it was especially disappointing.

Yeah, don't judge the new series by "Journey's End." Try to start with season 1 in order (especially so you'll see the early days, when that blonde chick with the chipmunk cheeks was actually a bearable and even likeable character).

(All of the above stated as IMHO, of course. :smallsmile:)

Silent Hunter
2008-08-20, 11:52 AM
The Key To Time series is something like 20 episodes, in six stories. You don't need to watch them all.

I'd recommend "The Pirate Planet" from that arc highly, as its written by Douglas Adams. Adams also did "City of Death" and the uncompleted "Shada", later redone as a web animation with the 8th Doctor and Romana.

Castaras
2008-08-20, 12:01 PM
Earlier Doctor Who stories are better.

I'd recommend Key to Time also. The E-Space trilogy is good as well.

Other stories that come to mind:

Genesis of the Daleks
Green Death
Robots of Death
City of Death
Any of the Master stories. The original ones. The ones from Third and Fourth doctor. Not the recent ones. The recent Master was not the master. The only thing even slightly master like was the
Watching of teletubbies

But eh. I rant.

...I'm going blank. There's many many more which are good.

Of the recent series... The Family of Harvesters two-parter, The Empty Child two-parter, and Blink are the only really good ones. A lot of the others are too predictable for me (father's day, the 'master' stories, most of the ending parts of the series. :smallyuk:)

turkishproverb
2008-08-20, 02:31 PM
I gotta field this

Earlier Doctor Who stories are better.

And worse. There's some real crap in the older Doctor who stories along with the good. I will say that one or two episodes aside the new series has all been above par for TV Sci Fi

I'd recommend Key to Time also. The E-Space trilogy is good as well.

So I hear. Haven't seen them since my single digits though

Other stories that come to mind:

Genesis of the Daleks
Green Death
Robots of Death
City of Death

1. Great story
2: havent seen it in forever, remember liking it
3 and 4: Good stuff

Any of the Master stories. The original ones. The ones from Third and Fourth doctor. Not the recent ones. The recent Master was not the master. The only thing even slightly master like was the
Watching of teletubbies

But eh. I rant.

Oh, I don't know. His motivations were all over the place before. Half the time he was evil for the sake of being evil, and then there was his "need regenerations" phase. Really, motivation was never his strong point. And given that Regeneration effects personality, I think Saxon-master works fine. Granted, there were other problems with that arc...

...I'm going blank. There's many many more which are good.

Yea, there are. Most of the pre-throwing gold coins Cybermen stories were wonderful. About half the dalek stories. the 1 8th doctor story was great aside from that one line I'm betting the American producers put in. Been a long time though, so I only remember about 1/4 the episodes I've seen, and many of those only partly.

Of the recent series... The Family of Harvesters two-parter, The Empty Child two-parter, and Blink are the only really good ones. A lot of the others are too predictable for me (father's day, the 'master' stories, most of the ending parts of the series. :smallyuk:)

Yea, the season enders are a little predicable, though not necessarily bad (such as the 1st season finale) And the master series was a ending part, so I'm not sure listing it seperatelly should count :P

The Family of Blood two parter was as you said great. Alot of series 1 was really good. Dalek, for all of It's predictability was wonderful. Frankly, your right in Father's day being the weakest episode of the season. Impossible planet/satan pit were great too, though. Rise of the Cybermen/Age of steel were a fun reintroduction of a villain, one that even while obvious managed to scare the crap out of me when they showed up. Girl in the fireplace (romance aside) felt like classic who. Shakespeare code was also fairly "old school" feeling, at least to me.

Franky, the return of rose hurt season 30/series 4 a lot for me, although I have to give them credit for finding a less abusable way to get around changing actors with a regeneration. Still, fires of Pompeii and the Sontaran story were fun. The silence in the library/forest of the dead story mas Marvelous.

pondshadow
2008-08-20, 03:04 PM
Eh, fires of pompeii didn't really do it for me, along with partners and the doctors daughter, still stephan moffat=awesome in the new series

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-20, 03:10 PM
You know, whilst I agree that Moffat's episodes are bloody brilliant I do have reservations. I hope that Moffat will not try and make the whole seasons like his episodes, all scary and handwavium sci-fi. I know that he doesn't like technobabble style sci-fi but elements of that are integral to Doctor Who's feel, along with less scary, more silly episodes.

I doubt he will make that mistake, but it is a concern I think you will agree.

Serpentine
2008-08-21, 08:50 AM
I think I'd suggest Blink as a good introductory episode. It is rather different to most of the others, but it's stand-alone, and stand-out.

Deth Muncher, that is and old, ooooold issue (why the TARDIS looks like a phone box, that is). If you want to look for where it was first explained rather than just get told why it's so, you're gonna have to look waaaaaay back. I have no idea where it'd be.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-21, 09:36 AM
I have no idea where it'd be.

I do. You, infact, cannot. The reason is first alluded to in The Cave of Skulls, I believe. That is the second ever Doctor Who episode, now lost. Although I believe the answer was a vague hypothesis, not a cast iron explanation.

DeathQuaker
2008-08-21, 11:16 AM
The reason is first alluded to in The Cave of Skulls, I believe. That is the second ever Doctor Who episode, now lost.

Not lost; IIRC never lost, and very, very available on DVD (http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Collection-William-Hartnell/dp/B000CNESV2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1219335245&sr=8-1).

I in fact highly recommend that box set. The caveman story is a little dull, but the first episode, the Daleks, and Edge of Destruction are all excellent, IMHO. The digital restoration of the old stories are top notch, and comes with great commentary and extras as well.

There's allusions to the situation IIRC in "Logopolis" and "Attack of the Cybermen" (or whatever that Sixth Doctor Cybermen story was) amongst likely several other eps.

And to help non-ClassicWho fans, it gets a brief explanation in "Rose" (the first ep of the new series).

Hopeless
2008-08-23, 10:25 AM

The Doctor has been played by at least 12 actors, Peter Cushing did two of the movies whilst the third was done by Paul McGann.
There are dvds out there on all of them and its really a question of what you like.
The latest played by David Tennant is a lot like Tom Baker who played the 4th doctor, but mixes in some characteristics of his own.
I personally liked Christopher Eccleston's version, but most commonly prefer Tom Baker.

Now for the common details: The Doctor is a Timelord from a world called Gallifrey, he is considered a renegade because he chooses to interfere where the Timelords prefer a Prime Directive sorry hands off style.
He was originally alot more selfish and irresponsible but prolonged contact with humanity has made him more heroic I suppose you could say, I recommend you watch any of the series to get your own opinion, but most importantly enjoy yourself!

Hopeless
2008-08-23, 10:34 AM
The problem I have with Russty is the fact that he has out and out admited that he is using a family TV show to try and make hetrosexulaity seem old fashioned and repressive. He wants children to come away with the view that gay and bi are BETTER than straight.

I don't mind his views, but setting out to force them (or any sexuality views for that matter) down young children's throats is WRONG. If he depicted Depraved Bisexual (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DepravedBisexual) after Depraved Bisexual he would be roasted alive for it.

I think you'll find that he went overboard with that in the first season of Torchwood, still does I think.

Various
2008-08-24, 05:36 AM
I am sorry my verbosity displeases you. But if I spelled it out, the post would have even been longer. :smalltongue:

Someone already mentioned, but it's "Your mileage may vary." It's commonly used on this board, so I assumed most readers would get it, or have the resources to quickly Google it. I failed you, and I am ashamed. :smallredface:

Apparently I forgot to put the smiley face at the end of what I was saying so people would know I wasn't attacking anyone. I have failed you.

:smallsmile:

turkishproverb
2008-08-31, 12:45 AM
So, considering htis threads only a week stale, I figure I should post this here.

I was planning on re acquainting myself with the older doctors, and was wondering if anyone would recommend me some stories TO and NOT TO pick up to watch.

Anything would be appriciated.

Kaihaku
2008-08-31, 12:56 AM
The Two Doctors, The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, etc. :)

"I'm not interested in the beliefs of primitives, only in what they taste like."
Shockeye, in "The Two Doctors"

Mark of the Rani, Mindwarp, Battlefield, The Curse of Fenric < :)

Blah. Just watch them all! :P I know I would...if they weren't such a pain to find.

turkishproverb
2008-08-31, 12:58 AM
The Two Doctors, The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, etc. :)

"I'm not interested in the beliefs of primitives, only in what they taste like."
Shockeye, in "The Two Doctors"

Mark of the Rani, Mindwarp, Battlefield, The Curse of Fenric < :)

Blah. Just watch them all! :P I know I would...if they weren't such a pain to find.

and so expensive. Hence the "what not to buy" question being in there as well. :)

factotum
2008-08-31, 01:30 AM
"Genesis of the Daleks" is a good one...Davros' first appearance and a first-rate tricky moral dilemma to end on!

comicshorse
2008-08-31, 10:35 AM
I'd recommend : 'Pyramids of Mars', 'Remembrance of the Daleks', 'Caves of Androzani','Silver Nemesis' and pretty much the whole 'Key of Time' series.

Avoid: 'The Happiness Patrol', 'Dragonfire' and 'Enlightenment'

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-31, 10:53 AM
'The Happiness Patrol'

Whilst I have to agree that this story is terrible, even before the mile wide continutity errors, it does contain a certain avatar of pure Nightmare Fuel (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/LiveActionTV). Who can make die with a smile? Who can make you scream all the while? The Kandy Man can!

turkishproverb
2008-09-01, 02:54 PM
So, to clear things up, so far the recommendations are

Genesis of the Daleks
Mark of the Rani
Battlefield
THe Curse of Fenric
Mindwarp
The Key to time series (Isn't this actually MORE expensive than a season of the new show?)
Remembrance of the Daleks
Caves of Androzani
Silver Nemesis

and not to get
The Happiness Patrol
Dragonfire
Enlightenment

any other suggestions?

Silent Hunter
2008-09-02, 09:07 AM
A couple more suggestions:

"City of Death"- Douglas Adam's second story, set and filmed in Paris. Note that this contains Fetish Fuel Unleaded.
"The Talons of Weng-Chiang"- While this contains some Unfortunate Implications and is probably hard to acquire in the US, it's actually a classic tale in many regards (except for the Rodent of Unusual Size, which is just Narmy) and is the first mention of the Time Agent.
"The Brain of Morbius"- Typical of the Hinchcliffe era, namely very dark and unpleasant for a family show.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-02, 10:28 PM
I was planning on re acquainting myself with the older doctors, and was wondering if anyone would recommend me some stories TO and NOT TO pick up to watch.

All of them!! :smallbiggrin:

As a rule, for introductions to the incarnations and developing a sense of history and transition, I would at least try to get the first and last serials for each Doctor where available. Most of these are findable one way or another, but I'll note if they have DVD releases, if that helps. :smallsmile:

That'd be...
First Doctor: "Unearthly Child" (part of "The Beginning" DVD box set) and "The Tenth Planet" (surviving episodes and audio part of "The Lost Episodes" DVD box set)

Second Doctor: His first serial "Power of the Daleks" is missing, sadly. Last is "The War Games" -- very long, but extremely historic because we meet the Time Lords for the first time (before this, the Doctor was just a strange old man in a police box shaped time machine). Not yet out on DVD.

Third Doctor: "Spearhead from Space" - on DVD, and introduces the Autons, who were also the enemies in "Rose." Final: "Planet of the Spiders." Not yet on DVD, I don't think, but I know it's planned because according to Wikipedia they recorded commentary for it.

Fourth Doctor: "Robot" - on DVD. Final: "Logopolis" -- separate DVD or part of boxset called "New Beginnings" which also includes....

Fifth Doctor: "Castrovalva" (excellent 5 story, first or no). Final: "Caves of Androzani" (also very highly praised. Some of the episodes in between were middling). DVD available.

Sixth Doctor: "The Twin Dilemma" (really not very good, actually. You might skip to the "Two Doctors"). DVD not available yet, IIRC. Final: "The Ultimate Foe," part of the "Trial of a Time Lord" series, which is due to be out on DVD in a few months, IIRC.

Seventh Doctor: "Time and the Rani" -- not a great episode, though I like it for cheesiness. Not yet available on DVD. Final: "Survival." Available on DVD (which also includes some neat stuff on why the series ended, etc.)

For other eps, I generally agree with what's been recommended here. Most First Doctor stories available on DVD are pretty good, and the "Beginnings" boxset is worth it if you can buy it (despite the early cavemen story being a bit of a stinker). A lot of Second Doctor eps are lost, but I'd definitely get "The Invasion" if I were you--really, really good Cybermen story. "The Mind Robber" is also a good one, if a bit cracktastic. Keep in mind most 60s stories are a little slow paced.

Not a big fan of the Third Doc, unlike most of the world, but I'd at least recommend "Inferno" --really cool parallel dimension story.

Fourth Doc has gotten a lot of love, but I'll add "Robots of Death" (and generally anything with Leela in it, although "The Invasion of Time" is sadly lacking). Also, "The City of Death." Generally, if it's Doctor Who and it's "of Death" it's probably good. :smallwink:

Fifth Doc: What's been already recommended is great. I'd also add in "Frontios" which doesn't get enough hype, but is quite a good story, IMHO. And I _do_ recommend "Enlightenment" -- I really love that story, personally--gods are racing amongst the stars, and the Doctor and crew are caught in the middle. Though If you are going to watch Englightment, it's the end of a trilogy, so you might as well see "Mawdryn Undead" and "Terminus" first.

Sixth Doc: "Vengeance on Varos." Hope it comes to DVD soon; one of few gems in a lot of rough scripts.

Seventh Doc: "Remembrance of the Daleks." I also do like "Happiness Patrol" (really fun satire, even if the licorice golem is silly) and "Dragonfire" (sci fi take on the wizard of Oz, and it introduces Ace!!)

Stuff to avoid:

First Doc: The serial directly following the first episode of "The Unearthly Child."

Third Doc: I really don't like much of him so it's hard for me to judge objectively.

Fourth Doc: "Invasion of Time" is pretty bad, even if it has Leela in it. I also didn't like much of the earliest seasons... stories were very slow, and Sarah Jane was a screamer, despite what the nostalgists will tell you. Don't remember a lot of the other stories apart from the ones already recommended as it's been a long time.

Fifth Doc: "Time Flight." Very, very, very bad. Also, the one before it "Black Orchid" isn't very good. OTOH, both of these are on DVD and the commentary is HILARIOUS--almost worth it for that.

Sixth Doc: Most of it, sadly. Timelash is often especially reviled (though I personally liked the Wells references, but I haven't seen it in ages).

Seventh Doc: "Time and the Rani." "Delta and the Bannermen." "Silver Nemesis" (neat 25th anniversary idea with NO coherent plot); "Ghost Light" (you will see this one praised by a lot of critics who like its attempts at postmodernism, but IMHO it's a lot of convoluted nonsense (and I like postmodernism so that's not the issue) and the Doc being creepy and manipulative).

God, I am such a NERD. :smalltongue:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-03, 02:59 AM
The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors are both very enjoyable. Also provide a lot of back info on the Time Lords. I love Omega as a villain.
The Two Doctors is less good due to agonising anvilicousness (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Anvilicious).

Silent Hunter
2008-09-03, 05:01 AM
For the Third Doctor, all of his season is very good. Later good stories include-

"Day of the Daleks"- Timey Wimey Ball
The Daemons- The Master tries to summon a demonic alien
"The Time Warrior"- first Sarah Jane Smith story and introduces the Sontarans

Avoid "Invasion of the Dinosaurs", unless you like Special Effects Failure.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-03, 07:06 AM
The Two Doctors is less good due to agonising anvilicousness (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Anvilicious).

Very true. It's good to see for Patrick Troughton and Colin Baker performing together than the actual plot that it has. Also, it was, I believe, Pat Troughton's last performance as the Doctor before he passed away, so it's a bit of historically important more than a good example of a Who script.

turkishproverb
2008-09-05, 02:01 AM
For the Third Doctor, all of his season is very good. Later good stories include-

"Day of the Daleks"- Timey Wimey Ball
The Daemons- The Master tries to summon a demonic alien
"The Time Warrior"- first Sarah Jane Smith story and introduces the Sontarans

Avoid "Invasion of the Dinosaurs", unless you like Special Effects Failure.

Is it just me, or is your Avi the sixth doctor?

Bryn
2008-09-05, 06:31 AM
I have to say, Davies is getting bashed here a little more than he deserves. The man isn't bad writter/creator, merely a rather limited one. And as to the bisexuality issue, I'm

A: not seeing the heterosexuals are worse than homosexuals vibe.

And B: frankly I'm just glad someone finally made the show remotely real in diversity. I mean, seriously, how was Mickey the first non white companion?

Sorry not to respond to this for a while. I don't really mind any of the sexuality-related stuff, or any diversity-related issues. I'm also glad that Davies brought the show back at all, something that I mentioned in the other thread but I don't think I mentioned in this thread. I just find that his finales aren't as good as other episodes in the show for several reasons, especially the most recent one.

My biggest problem is the villains. RTD isn't entirely responsible for this series' decay of the Daleks, but it was particularly strong in the recent finale. That's not to say that all the villains in RTD's finales are bad, and I enjoyed the Master (partly because he actually succeeded, making him already a long way more threatening than other villains).

In truth, I think I was criticising RTD a bit too hard. I don't intensely dislike all his episodes, I just prefer Moffat's, so sorry for my rather strongly anti-RTD post earlier in the thread :smallamused:

Anyway, sorry to drag that bit of the conversation up again, I won't talk about it any more because you all seem to be talking about the pre-revival series, something which in any case I know very little about.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-05, 07:19 AM
Is it just me, or is your Avi the sixth doctor?

It's beautiful and cute Fivey!!!

Six has the technicolor dreamcoat (http://www.shillpages.com/dw/bakerc01.jpg).

My biggest problem is the villains. RTD isn't entirely responsible for this series' decay of the Daleks, but it was particularly strong in the recent finale. That's not to say that all the villains in RTD's finales are bad, and I enjoyed the Master (partly because he actually succeeded, making him already a long way more threatening than other villains).

Actually, to tie in to discussion of the old and new series, I think RTD made basically the same mistake that many producers did, particularly the previous generation's gay fanboy producer with a 3 letter nickname, John Nathan Turner (JNT).

Mistake 1: Bringing back the Daleks TOO MANY TIMES.
Old Who: "The Daleks" was a brilliant story. Slowly paced by today's standards, but a really neat story about people coping in a post nuclear apocalypse, etc. etc. They were frightening and original monsters. But then they kept coming back again and again and again, until they worked with ape-people and were other villains' buttmonkeys. Every once in awhile they'd truly make them shine again with a good serial (Genesis, Remembrance) but very few out of the huge number there.

NewWho: "Dalek" was brilliant. One of the best NuWho episodes, really, and the single Dalek was ten times more frightening than hordes of Daleks in some of the old serials. Really revitalized the monster and then gave it a good farewell. Then again, they kept beating the horse until we had Daleks in sewers with showgirls and pigmen. No. And the return of Davros was utterly ruined by the general fan wank and then wangstfest that plagued the 4th series finale.

Mistake 2 (the JNT blunder): Bringing back too many creatures generally and swimming too much in the show's history to the point of repetition without substance.

Classic Who: Some of the best 5th, 6th, and 7th Doctor stories had unique villains and scenarios who were fantastic--an entity made of fear who tried to rebirth itself through a companion's mind; gods who raced amongst the stars; a dark colony of humans relying on "torture television" to keep the workers placid; a paradise residence turned to hell, its residents turned to mockeries of what they once were.

Yet these stories were relatively rare because they had to be crammed between the gazillionth return of the Master who NEVER had an original plot ever (okay, except Castrovalva, because trying to defeat the Doctor with an MC Escher design is just cool), the umpteenth return of the Cybermen, the jibillionth return of the Daleks who also aren't doing anything new. It'd be one thing if they introduced some new ideas (to credit, "Revelation" brought in the Dalek Civil War, better seen in "Remembrance"), but generally the producer was hoping the fans would be excited because of the hype that x was coming back--with nothing else. The worst of these is "Warriors of the Deep." See what can become of bad recycled monster stories. See the horrors!

I remember when NuWho started that he said he was going to keep recurring monsters and characters to a minimum, to avoid alienating new viewers and to keep the show fresh. The first series was a great example of this.... we had only 2 recurring monsters: Autons and Daleks. Everything else was new, and the Autons hadn't been seen since the 70s so they were especially exciting to see and importantly were utilized well. We got some great new ideas like the gas mask zombies and Cassandra.

Then Dalek excitement made everyone think that "oh, revisiting old characters" is good, and it ramped up.... back came the cybermen, the macra, daleks, the master, the daleks, the sontarans, the daleks, and also the bloody freaking daleks... not to mention a number of new characters, heroes and villains alike, who kept coming back and we saw less and less of new fun characters and ideas, and culminating in "Doctor Who versus the Kitchen Sink" at the end of the 4th series.

I love to see an occasional return of an old character, ESPECIALLY if there are loose plot ends to tie up, but if it's just for the sake of being sensational, forget it. The reason why Doctor Who lasted for so long the first time is because you can do ANYTHING with its premise.... in the original producers' words, you can travel back, forth, and sideways in time. We need a little more sideways and a little less backtracking over old ground.

So there. :smalltongue:

factotum
2008-09-05, 09:44 AM
I wonder if that's why Moffat's tales are generally considered the show's high points--he hasn't recycled a monster yet, as far as I can tell! We had the gas mask child from the first season, the creatures who fed by transporting people back in time, the statues from "Blink" and this season we had the space piranha. If he continues that trend when he takes over, things should get better.

kamikasei
2008-09-05, 09:54 AM
I wonder if that's why Moffat's tales are generally considered the show's high points--he hasn't recycled a monster yet, as far as I can tell! We had the gas mask child from the first season, the creatures who fed by transporting people back in time, the statues from "Blink" and this season we had the space piranha. If he continues that trend when he takes over, things should get better.

Same guys; the second season monsters were the clockwork men from the starship.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-05, 11:31 AM

Oohh... now there's something I'd like to see returned to (once).... not necessarily the clockwork men by themselves, or as baddies, but to the culture that built them. It could be kind of a steampunky story.

turkishproverb
2008-09-05, 06:51 PM
It's beautiful and cute Fivey!!!

Six has the technicolor dreamcoat (http://www.shillpages.com/dw/bakerc01.jpg).

Right. Sorry. Get those two switched around sometimes.

Actually, to tie in to discussion of the old and new series, I think RTD made basically the same mistake that many producers did, particularly the previous generation's gay fanboy producer with a 3 letter nickname, John Nathan Turner (JNT).

Mistake 1: Bringing back the Daleks TOO MANY TIMES.
Old Who: "The Daleks" was a brilliant story. Slowly paced by today's standards, but a really neat story about people coping in a post nuclear apocalypse, etc. etc. They were frightening and original monsters. But then they kept coming back again and again and again, until they worked with ape-people and were other villains' buttmonkeys. Every once in awhile they'd truly make them shine again with a good serial (Genesis, Remembrance) but very few out of the huge number there.

NewWho: "Dalek" was brilliant. One of the best NuWho episodes, really, and the single Dalek was ten times more frightening than hordes of Daleks in some of the old serials. Really revitalized the monster and then gave it a good farewell. Then again, they kept beating the horse until we had Daleks in sewers with showgirls and pigmen. No. And the return of Davros was utterly ruined by the general fan wank and then wangstfest that plagued the 4th series finale.

Mistake 2 (the JNT blunder): Bringing back too many creatures generally and swimming too much in the show's history to the point of repetition without substance.

Classic Who: Some of the best 5th, 6th, and 7th Doctor stories had unique villains and scenarios who were fantastic--an entity made of fear who tried to rebirth itself through a companion's mind; gods who raced amongst the stars; a dark colony of humans relying on "torture television" to keep the workers placid; a paradise residence turned to hell, its residents turned to mockeries of what they once were.

Yet these stories were relatively rare because they had to be crammed between the gazillionth return of the Master who NEVER had an original plot ever (okay, except Castrovalva, because trying to defeat the Doctor with an MC Escher design is just cool), the umpteenth return of the Cybermen, the jibillionth return of the Daleks who also aren't doing anything new. It'd be one thing if they introduced some new ideas (to credit, "Revelation" brought in the Dalek Civil War, better seen in "Remembrance"), but generally the producer was hoping the fans would be excited because of the hype that x was coming back--with nothing else. The worst of these is "Warriors of the Deep." See what can become of bad recycled monster stories. See the horrors!

I remember when NuWho started that he said he was going to keep recurring monsters and characters to a minimum, to avoid alienating new viewers and to keep the show fresh. The first series was a great example of this.... we had only 2 recurring monsters: Autons and Daleks. Everything else was new, and the Autons hadn't been seen since the 70s so they were especially exciting to see and importantly were utilized well. We got some great new ideas like the gas mask zombies and Cassandra.

Then Dalek excitement made everyone think that "oh, revisiting old characters" is good, and it ramped up.... back came the cybermen, the macra, daleks, the master, the daleks, the sontarans, the daleks, and also the bloody freaking daleks... not to mention a number of new characters, heroes and villains alike, who kept coming back and we saw less and less of new fun characters and ideas, and culminating in "Doctor Who versus the Kitchen Sink" at the end of the 4th series.

I love to see an occasional return of an old character, ESPECIALLY if there are loose plot ends to tie up, but if it's just for the sake of being sensational, forget it. The reason why Doctor Who lasted for so long the first time is because you can do ANYTHING with its premise.... in the original producers' words, you can travel back, forth, and sideways in time. We need a little more sideways and a little less backtracking over old ground.

So there. :smalltongue:

Well, revolving daleks (and season 4 finale) aside I don't entirely agree. the 1 sontaran story was ok, though maybe it could have been condensed a little, and the first "new Cybermen" story was that special type of wonderful stark panic old fans felt the first time Romulans showed up in TNG.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-05, 10:49 PM
Well, revolving daleks (and season 4 finale) aside I don't entirely agree. the 1 sontaran story was ok, though maybe it could have been condensed a little, and the first "new Cybermen" story was that special type of wonderful stark panic old fans felt the first time Romulans showed up in TNG.

I agree that the Age of Steel arc was great, even if it blatantly ripped off a 2nd Doctor story called The Invasion. I disagree more on the Sontarans... wasn't bad, could've been better.

And while any one story/resurrection might be okay, on the WHOLE I think DW would have better if RTD had stuck to his original plan of "Recurrences to a minimum." Looking at one episode you might say it's okay--looking at the spectrum of episodes is where I, at least, see things fall apart and a lot of potential lost.

But GAWD I am sounding like a typical nitpicking Doctor Who fan who complains more than praises. Yipes!! Um.... weren't those clockwork androids cool? And Cassandra, and.... And... um.... Midnight! Wow, Midnight was brilliant! Way to go, RTD!

turkishproverb
2008-09-05, 11:05 PM
I agree that the Age of Steel arc was great, even if it blatantly ripped off a 2nd Doctor story called The Invasion. I disagree more on the Sontarans... wasn't bad, could've been better.

And while any one story/resurrection might be okay, on the WHOLE I think DW would have better if RTD had stuck to his original plan of "Recurrences to a minimum." Looking at one episode you might say it's okay--looking at the spectrum of episodes is where I, at least, see things fall apart and a lot of potential lost.

But GAWD I am sounding like a typical nitpicking Doctor Who fan who complains more than praises. Yipes!! Um.... weren't those clockwork androids cool? And Cassandra, and.... And... um.... Midnight! Wow, Midnight was brilliant! Way to go, RTD!

OH, I agree there. Personally i don't think they should've done it more than once/twice a series, and twice did push it a good bit, especially since it was quite often 2+more daleks. Another problem was alot of two parters (such as the Sontaran episode) really should have been one shots, something that would have made room for more new sitautions.

EDIT: ON AGE OF STEEL:

Hey, all of modern sci fi takes from old who. why shouldn't new who?

Star wars has gallafori class cruisers
Futurama had the deacons
STTNG onward: THe borg. C'mon.

factotum
2008-09-06, 01:47 AM

Yes, I knew that, honest (I even remember thinking about them as I was making the post)--just my fingers getting ahead of my brain as usual.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-06, 08:30 AM
EDIT: ON AGE OF STEEL:

Hey, all of modern sci fi takes from old who. why shouldn't new who?

Hey, I did say the story was great. :smallbiggrin: If it's a good story, why not tell it again? (And it's not like they were hiding the fact. In "Age of Steel," they make a ginormous reference to the evil electronics company who were the front for the Cybermen in "The Invasion" (International Electromatics -- in AoS, it's the name printed on the truck where they're kidnapping the homeless guys)

Star wars has gallafori class cruisers
Futurama had the deacons
STTNG onward: THe borg. C'mon.

Oh yeah. Also, I recall ST: Voyager had some enemies who looked strangely like the Sontarans. (I think they were a clone race too...)

turkishproverb
2008-09-06, 05:38 PM
Hey, I did say the story was great. :smallbiggrin: If it's a good story, why not tell it again? (And it's not like they were hiding the fact. In "Age of Steel," they make a ginormous reference to the evil electronics company who were the front for the Cybermen in "The Invasion" (International Electromatics -- in AoS, it's the name printed on the truck where they're kidnapping the homeless guys)

Yea, loved that. Knew it looked familiar

Oh yeah. Also, I recall ST: Voyager had some enemies who looked strangely like the Sontarans. (I think they were a clone race too...)

You mean the Heirarchy? (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Hierarchy_species)

Silent Hunter
2008-09-07, 06:27 AM
Watching "Earthshock" again.

I don't think modern audiences would stand the pace. It also seems a tad too much drama school.

Adric was The Scrappy, wasn't he?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-07, 06:48 AM
Adric was The Scrappy, wasn't he?Alas poor Scrappy. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlasPoorScrappy)

Silent Hunter
2008-09-07, 10:20 AM
Indeed.

Plus Nyssa is definitely a Hot Scientist.

turkishproverb
2008-09-15, 04:05 PM
Well, managed to pick up a cheap copy of "New Beginnings" Today. I start watching it tonight.

EDIT: Watched The Keeper of Traken. I liked it. Really good, especially when you consider they had to rewrite the thing to put the REAL villain in...

Blackfang108
2008-09-16, 02:51 PM
Hey, I liked Eccleston better than Tennant. Mainly because it Eccleston is funny and amusing. Tennant seems to be there to amuse himself and because he's really bored and we're just watching him do it.

Oddly enough, this is EXACTALLY why I like Tennant so much more. That and his treatment of the Family of Blood.

And this line: "... You're in the biggest library in the Universe! Look me up!"

That said, I can't wait for C Eccleson as Destro in the GI Joe movie next year.

Glawackus
2008-09-16, 03:09 PM
So there's some rumors going around about the specials for next year. I can make no claim as to the veracity of these, but thought I'd put them out there for discussion.

-The BBC visited a gentleman who kept the TARDIS set from the Eighth Doctor movie in his garage, took pictures, and left.

-Paul McGann is going to return as the Eighth Doctor in one of the specials with his head shaved a la the Ninth Doctor.

-We'll see the Time War.

-We'll see Eight regenerate into Nine.

-John Simm returns as the Master.

-The reference to "not even Genghis Khan's horde could break through those TARDIS doors--and believe me, they tried" will come back into play.

Personally, I have a big issue with one of these, but I'll leave just which one up to speculation. :smalltongue:

turkishproverb
2008-09-16, 05:44 PM
These are all the rumors you've seen? Your working undertime.

So there's some rumors going around about the specials for next year. I can make no claim as to the veracity of these, but thought I'd put them out there for discussion.

'Kay

-The BBC visited a gentleman who kept the TARDIS set from the Eighth Doctor movie in his garage, took pictures, and left.

Very interesting if true.

-Paul McGann is going to return as the Eighth Doctor in one of the specials with his head shaved a la the Ninth Doctor.

Head shaved buggs me, I figured that would've been part of regenration

Cool. I'd like to see him again. Of course, I'd LOVE to see each special revolve around the 10th doctor flashing back to an unseen adventure of one of the previous doctors, so....

-We'll see the Time War.

Hopefully no more than a snippet, honestly. focusing on it would be..erm..bad.

-We'll see Eight regenerate into Nine.

Mixed feelings about this. Kind've liked the way you weren't sure about it.

-John Simm returns as the Master.

I don't like this, except in flashbacks. He lost that body, even though he WAS good as the master

-The reference to "not even Genghis Khan's horde could break through those TARDIS doors--and believe me, they tried" will come back into play.

could be fun, but I do worry about the constant "explaining" it could lead to on other comments the doctor made.

Personally, I have a big issue with one of these, but I'll leave just which one up to speculation. :smalltongue:

I'm more interested in your opinion of the rumor the doctor regenerates in the 4th 2009 special into the 11th doctor. I've got to be honest, the fact that they're not revealing whether Tennant will be back or not doesn't mean a lot to me there, they could just as easily be trying to build up publicity/suspense as hiding the bringing forward of a new doctor.

And that "The Other Doctor" trailer door could be anythign from a decoy to an appearance by one of, oh.... 9 or 10 previous characters. :smallwink:

Avilan the Grey
2008-09-17, 01:39 AM
Here in Sweden we just started the episodes with Leela. Mmmm... Savage Girl Candy!

Btw anyone knows if Matt G named Leela in Futurama after her?

turkishproverb
2008-09-17, 02:26 AM
Here in Sweden we just started the episodes with Leela. Mmmm... Savage Girl Candy!

From what I know of Matt G and David X Cohen, I wouldn't be surprised.

Glawackus
2008-09-17, 10:32 AM
*wall of text with question for me at end*

I don't buy it. I've got a gut feeling we won't see Ten regenerate until after the fifth series.

I'd like to point out that a door marked "The Other Doctor" does not necessarily translate into "the Doctor is regenerating". It could just be, you know, a famous doctor. (The episode title is supposed to be "three words" and "a dead giveaway". I'm still kind of banking on "A Cybermen Carol", but Other Doctor seems pretty obvious at this point.)

turkishproverb
2008-09-17, 10:48 AM
I don't buy it. I've got a gut feeling we won't see Ten regenerate until after the fifth series.

I'd like to point out that a door marked "The Other Doctor" does not necessarily translate into "the Doctor is regenerating". It could just be, you know, a famous doctor. (The episode title is supposed to be "three words" and "a dead giveaway". I'm still kind of banking on "A Cybermen Carol", but Other Doctor seems pretty obvious at this point.)

I'd like to see a Christmas carol story done with the doctor. Can you imagine the "spirits?" hehehe....

Like I said, I'm not believing it either, but i was curious.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-17, 11:05 AM

*checks flights to Sweden*

That's what I've heard. Matt G is a big Doctor Who fan.

But Leela in Doctor Who was named after Palestinian extremist Leila Khaled.

(Ha! Kaled. *is a nerd*)

I'd like to point out that a door marked "The Other Doctor" does not necessarily translate into "the Doctor is regenerating".

*nods* I understand the reason they are doing the Season of "Specials" is specifically so David Tennant can remain playing the Doctor while also doing his run in Hamlet on the stage. So if they were to off Tennant early on in the specials, it doesn't make any sense to make their production schedule for the whole thing to fit his.

It could just be, you know, a famous doctor. (The episode title is supposed to be "three words" and "a dead giveaway". I'm still kind of banking on "A Cybermen Carol", but Other Doctor seems pretty obvious at this point.)

BBC News quotes about the "Other Doctor" here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/080917_news_01

Sounds like a character who is A Doctor, probably, for some dialogue laughs.

BBC also denies McGann coming back. Though a regeneration scene makes sense if they do touch on the Time War (shaved head would be for the transitional morph between McGann and Eccleston, I'd guess).

Vazzaroth
2008-09-17, 02:21 PM
David Tennant is the sex.
Seriously? His hair is lush. And he's Scottish! Bonus Accent Sexiness.
That's an opinion shared by me and all my female friends.
Fun Fact: I'm not gay. David Tennant is just really attractive.
So yes, yes. It is very good.

I'm a man. A straight man.

And I agreee.

I actually got into the series because he looks JUST like what I imagined one of my DnD characters to look like. Acts like him a bit too.

Glawackus
2008-09-17, 04:06 PM
Davies thinks that the guy who played Frame should be the Eleventh Doctor? Thank God Moffat's running the show now. Looks like we got out just in time.

turkishproverb
2008-09-21, 10:23 PM
Davies thinks that the guy who played Frame should be the Eleventh Doctor? Thank God Moffat's running the show now. Looks like we got out just in time.

In all fairness, he did remind me a bit of the 2nd doctor.

And I just finished casrovalva. Fun.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-22, 04:21 AM
Davies thinks that the guy who played Frame

Who?

Seriously though what we would need from an 11th doctor is a more alien, more distant, more old feeling doctor.

Justin_Bacon
2008-09-22, 05:38 AM

This pretty much demands a cite.

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here. Not all of RTD's bisexual characters are exactly laudable.

Of course, if we limit ourselves to just Doctor Who, then I'm having troubles thinking of any notably bisexual or homosexual characters other than Captain Jack.

I like what RTD has done with the series, but I'm also glad he's going. It's clear that he's told the stories he wanted to tell... as evidenced by the fact that he's just re-telling the same stories again and again and again (with less effect each time).

For one small example, Davros chastising the Doctor for being a killer was only mildly effective for many reasons. When the Dalek in "Dalek" did the same thing by simply saying, "You would make a good Dalek." it was absolutely chilling.

Similarly, the first time the Daleks came back from utter destruction it was pretty awesome. The fourth and fifth time? Not so much. I don't have a problem with them coming back, but since you know you're going to be using them again could you stop pulling the "this time I have really destroyed all the Daleks in creation" card?

Glawackus
2008-09-22, 09:37 AM
Who?

Midshipman Alonso Frame, from Voyage of the Damned.

Glawackus
2008-09-23, 08:30 AM
Spoilering this just to be safe. Christmas special information inside!

Show creator Russell T Davies revealed: “The real heart of it is the beginning.

“The Doctor arrives, hears a damsel in distress, he steps forward to save her when this other man swings in, dashing, brilliant, amazing, clever, witty, saves the day.

“The Doctor says: ‘Who are you?’ The man says, ‘I’m the Doctor!’ The Doctor becomes his companion. There will be a beautiful woman too, of course, but really it’s the Doctor paired with a new Doctor.”

David Morissey as "The Doctor" in "The Next Doctor"

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_04/MorrisseyPOTP_468x492.jpg

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-23, 08:35 AM
"The Doctor" maybe, but not The Doctor. Thanks to the 1 year semi-hiatus we KNOW that Tennant is sticking around (unless that is a bluff of DC >40 proportions.)

Glawackus
2008-09-23, 11:11 AM
"The Doctor" maybe, but not The Doctor. Thanks to the 1 year semi-hiatus we KNOW that Tennant is sticking around (unless that is a bluff of DC >40 proportions.)

That's what they're billing him as...I call 'em like I see 'em. :smalltongue:

Edit: Top-of-the-page post edited to add some words from RTD about the Christmas special.

Glawackus
2008-09-23, 11:32 AM
From Blogtor Who, about one of the 2009 specials:

Albert Finney has been cast, and is one of two "big names" that will appear in the specials. Rumored role: Winston Churchill.

kamikasei
2008-09-23, 11:43 AM
Spoilering this just to be safe. Christmas special information inside!

Show creator Russell T Davies revealed: “The real heart of it is the beginning.

“The Doctor arrives, hears a damsel in distress, he steps forward to save her when this other man swings in, dashing, brilliant, amazing, clever, witty, saves the day.

“The Doctor says: ‘Who are you?’ The man says, ‘I’m the Doctor!’ The Doctor becomes his companion. There will be a beautiful woman too, of course, but really it’s the Doctor paired with a new Doctor.”

Sounds to me like this new guy is basically a Doctor fanboy/impersonator/fraud.

turkishproverb
2008-09-23, 12:50 PM
Sounds to me like this new guy is basically a Doctor fanboy/impersonator/fraud.

I think one of the radio drama's/novels had a premise like that.

linmacca
2008-09-24, 05:13 PM
I was pretty depressed about the lack of new season in '09, but I'm quite excited about the specials! I've managed to avoid spoilers... until now. Oops.

I see that the "DT is hot" topic has came up at some point, and I 100% agree. It's sad, but I might not have gotten so into Doctor Who if that wasn't the case. Okay, that'd an exaggeration. (But it still helped... :smallwink:)

turkishproverb
2008-09-24, 07:17 PM
I was pretty depressed about the lack of new season in '09, but I'm quite excited about the specials! I've managed to avoid spoilers... until now. Oops.

I see that the "DT is hot" topic has came up at some point, and I 100% agree. It's sad, but I might not have gotten so into Doctor Who if that wasn't the case. Okay, that'd an exaggeration. (But it still helped... :smallwink:)

He's David Tennant! More things should look like him.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-24, 08:30 PM

Well, _I_ certainly never got addicted to Doctor Who at the age of 12 when that cutie Peter Davison was being shown on public television. Never mind that I never seemed capable of paying as much attention to Tom Baker.

(The sad thing is now 20 years later, I'm thinking Davison's daughter is a hottie... *sigh* I have issues....)

turkishproverb
2008-09-24, 08:34 PM
No your not. Thats just one FREAKING GOOD gene pool.

lin_fusan
2008-09-25, 01:33 PM
Evidently David Tennant thinks Davidson's daughter is hot too. There's been tabloids stating that she's been seen leaving his flat early in the morning.

In fact, the scuttlebutt is that Tennant has had several actresses from the show.

So, there is empirical evidence that Tennant is teh sex.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-25, 01:38 PM
The thing is, I have utterly zero position to judge (ie I am so straight you could use me for drawing engineering diagrams), but I too had come to the conclusion that David Tennant has at least a 60% chance of being the Sex.

That's like an oyster developing opinions on what face of Everest is the harder to climb by looking at it.

turkishproverb
2008-09-25, 01:59 PM
Evidently David Tennant thinks Davidson's daughter is hot too. There's been tabloids stating that she's been seen leaving his flat early in the morning.

In fact, the scuttlebutt is that Tennant has had several actresses from the show.

That...sounds alot like Tom baker's behavior before falling in love with one of them (Lalla Ward). He later married someone who had been an assistant editor (Sue Jerrard)

So, which actress is Tennant going to marry then divorce. :smallamused:

DeathQuaker
2008-09-25, 07:46 PM
No your not. Thats just one FREAKING GOOD gene pool.

True 'nuff. :smallbiggrin:

Whoooo! And she's got a little boy to take care of at home...

Her name escapes me at the moment, but I do know he was a pretty hot item with the gal who played Mme. de Pompadour. They broke up a little while ago though.

It's definitely strongly believed enough by much of fandom that it is probably at least A truth if not THE truth. :smallamused:

lin_fusan
2008-09-26, 12:41 PM
It's funny for me to read about Tennant's exploits because for the longest time I thought the actor was gay.

Then I realized it's because Russell T Davies was writing his dialogue.

And I've been in San Francisco for too long, because I catch all of the gay references...

Glawackus
2008-09-26, 02:35 PM
It's funny for me to read about Tennant's exploits because for the longest time I thought the actor was gay.

Then I realized it's because Russell T Davies was writing his dialogue.

And I've been in San Francisco for too long, because I catch all of the gay references...

It took me a little while to calm down after the "Has he still got that rubbish beard?" line in Time Crash.

Also, Georgia Moffett is crazy fine.

Silent Hunter
2008-09-27, 05:58 AM
It took me a little while to calm down after the "Has he still got that rubbish beard?" line in Time Crash.

Which was written by Steven Moffat, who is straight...

turkishproverb
2008-09-30, 04:44 AM
Which was written by Steven Moffat, who is straight...

Funny, that's really a line I didn't see as meaning anything.

Although now you've got me thinking "You changed the Desktop Theme. What is this, coral?"

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-30, 05:45 AM
Funny, that's really a line I didn't see as meaning anything.

1. a beard 267 up, 51 down love ithate it

A women who goes on a date with a gay man to mask the fact that he is gay.
Boss asks you and your girl friend to join him and his wife for dinner, you accept. ( Boss suffers from severe homophobia ). You need a beard.

I suppose through that is the problem. People end up reading into it more than it is there.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-30, 09:55 AM
I suppose through that is the problem. People end up reading into it more than it is there.

I'm pretty sure the double entendre is intentional. Remember the whole convo is:

"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"
"No... well, a wife..."
(I love Five's slightly bemused expression at this part...)

It's Ten connecting the idea of "rubbish beard" to "wife" that makes it funny. Which is all it's meant to be. Funny, not political.

And I mean, come ON, did you ever see what the Master wears?? Not to mention both his old Tissue Compression Eliminator and his new Laser Screwdriver are both pretty damn phallic (Listen to the commentary about the Master in "Logopolis" and "Castrovalva," particlarly from Janet Fielding. It's hilarious). Come on, you have a man with a velvet fetish running around shooting people with his magical dildo. What conclusions are we supposed to draw from that? :smallbiggrin:

(Above post is meant in humor, and DQ is not an agent of RTD's Evil Gay Agenda. Or, at least as long as I keep saying that, the Cybusmen won't delete me. :smalltongue:)

turkishproverb
2008-09-30, 02:23 PM

ah, right. WHere IS my head.

Hyperion-Iris
2008-09-30, 07:49 PM
:smallbiggrin: I love it. I haven't watched much of the new season, though. I keep forgetting when it's on.

Gallopingfinger
2008-09-30, 07:52 PM
I really should watch it someday...

turkishproverb
2008-09-30, 09:05 PM
I really should watch it someday...

Do, it. Now

You know, it just occoured to me, I suddenly want to make a list for the Crowning Moment of Awesome for each doctor

For the 9th, at least, it would be obviousl

Ninth: "Everybody lives, Rose! Just this once! Everybody lives!!"

10 isn't too hard eather, for me at least:

Tenth: "Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I liked and that is not a safe place to stand! I'm the Doctor and you're in the biggest Library in the universe. Look me up."

after that it gets harder, although 8 has this

Grace: Maybe you have selective amnesia brought on by shock.
The Doctor: Maybe. I can't remember.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-30, 09:51 PM
You know, it just occoured to me, I suddenly want to make a list for the Crowning Moment of Awesome for each doctor

Going backwards:

Seventh, "Remembrance of the Daleks":

Davros: Have pity on me!
The Doctor: I have pity FOR you.
Davros: Pity?
The Doctor: Goodbye Davros, it hasn't been pleasant.

(and much of the rest of that encounter.... one of my favorite Doctor vs the Daleks eps ever, and I generally don't like the Daleks.)

Six--it's been SO long since I've seen his episodes it's hard to say, but maybe this from "Trial of a Time Lord":

The Doctor: [to the Time Lords] In all my travellings throughout the universe, I have battled against evil, against power-mad conspirators. I should have stayed here! The oldest civilisation, decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core! Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans, Cybermen - they're still in the nursery compared to us! Ten million years of absolute power - that's what it takes to be really corrupt!

Five.... not sure if this is a CMOA but I've always liked this exchange:

The Doctor: Emotions have their uses.
Cyber Leader: They restrict and curtail the intellect and logic of the mind.
The Doctor: They also enhance life! When did you last have the pleasure of smelling a flower, watching a sunset, eating a well-prepared meal?
Cyber Leader: These things are irrelevant.
The Doctor: For some people, small, beautiful events is what life is all about!

Someone else can go earlier (or find better ones)...

turkishproverb
2008-09-30, 10:06 PM
Well, at the very least we have 6's moment. 5's seems a bit weak still but they aren't bad.

DeathQuaker
2008-10-01, 06:58 AM
Fives CMOA may well be lineless, when he gives the spectrox to save Peri in Caves of Androzani. As for best lines there's other things.... the only reason why the Earthshock thing stood out--beyond that I could find it easily, I admit--is on screen it's a very well performed moment. Crowning and of awesome? Yeah, probably not. We'll work on that.

There's better lines from "Remembrance" for Seven but I can't find a good transcript from the exchange and don't have time at the moment to watch the episode and transcribe it. I do think the verbal fight with Davros followed by destroying Skaro with the Hand of Omega is still his CMOA. (Ace's might be in the same episode, with killing the Dalek with the baseball bat.... or the rocket launcher. "What? I aimed for the eyepiece.")

Silent Hunter
2008-10-01, 12:20 PM
Five's CMOA? Simple. "Caves of Androzani", end of part three.

"I'm not going to let you stop me now!"

turkishproverb
2008-10-03, 09:15 PM
Great. Now I have to watch that.

In other news, I stopped at Hastings and great escape today and got:

USED:
DVD
Season 1 Volume 3 of Doctor Who (Featuring The Long Game, Fathers Day, Empty Child and The Doctor Dances")

NEW
Action Figures:
Cyberman With Arm Weapon
Army of Ghosts 3 Pack: Cyberman, Dalek Sek (Black Dalek version), and The Doctor with 3D Glasses

all for under 15 bucks combined. Amazing the Doctor related stuff you can dig up 'round here.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-03, 09:32 PM
Sorry if I'm derailing the thread about the Doctor's CMOAS, but I just wanted to mention how much I love this series. Allow me to clarify: this is the only TV show I watch every week.

I've only seen a few of the 5th Doctor's episodes, and the 5 Doctors, but I've seen every single episode of the new series, and I love the new series. It has its moments of fail (Jack occasionally getting out of hand, Tinker-Bell Doctor, Donna's exit, TINKER-BELL DOCTOR :smallfurious:), but the moments of sheer, epic win make up for it. I thought I was really gonna miss Mr. Eccleston, and then I watched The Christmas Invasion with David Tennant and never looked back. The Tenth Doctor is one of the most amazing, fantastic, brilliant characters ever. I have all four seasons on DVD, and I can't wait for season five.

David Tennant = Win. Tennant + Simms = Epic Win. :smallbiggrin: Oh, and Ten's CMOA was the entire Forest of the Dead episode.

Look at that. I'm very good!

turkishproverb
2008-10-03, 09:34 PM
All four seasons? Meaning the 4th on singles? Or did you get an early release of the 4th boxed set? Are the rest the boxed sets or what?

You should try to see the children in need specials if you can, they 're a fun addition.

Either way I agree with your opinion on 9-10, though I would like to see a few flashback eps made with old Niney some time. (But then I want 8th doctor flashback eps)

I also see what you mean about the 10.5 Doctor, though I think that was mostly to get fans to shut up about bringing back rose.

DeathQuaker
2008-10-06, 09:47 PM
Not sure if I'm following this right, but "Tinkerbell Doctor" is actually a reference to the end of Season Three, when everyone clapped their hands and believed said the Doctor's name and made him fly. Also known as "Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor."

Regarding 10.5, apparently in RTD's new book he felt he didn't handle that final scene with Rose well. Hindsight is 20/20.

This thread has gotten me thinking about CMOA's for companions as well...

Ace--Dalek. Baseball bat. Oh there are others too...

Barbara--ran over a Dalek with a truck. Bite me, newskool! :smallwink: Also, to the Doctor in "Edge of Destruction": "Accuse us! You ought to go down on your knees and thank us! Gratitude's the last thing you'll ever have... or any sort of common sense either!"

Zoe: Talks a computer into exploding in "The Invasion." SHE CAN KILL YOU WITH HER BRAIN!!!!

turkishproverb
2008-10-06, 10:22 PM
Ah, you might be right there. I was thinking of the Tinkerbell as meaning pixie dust, which immediately made me think of the bizarre origin of the 10.5 doctor.

The companions all had their moments, even if I haven't seen most of them in forever.

You definitely hit zoe and barbara's though.

Glawackus
2008-10-07, 01:12 PM
Word (http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2008/10/07/patrick-stewart-to-swap-star-trek-for-dr-who-86081-21977884/) on the street (http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/10/05/Rumor-Mill-Patrick-Stewart-to-Guest-Star-in-Doctor-Who-.shtml) is that Patrick Stewart (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1770729.ece) is coming to DW as the Meddling Monk. (http://entertainment.oneindia.in/hollywood/top-stories/scoop/2008/patrick-stewart-doctor-who-071008.html)

turkishproverb
2008-10-07, 02:25 PM
Wow. I don't think that Time Lord has appeared since the 1st or 2nd Doctor.

An Patrick Stewart? Always good.

Bryn
2008-10-07, 02:28 PM
Seems the Time War weren't so bad after all :smallamused:

Well, not being old enough to have seen Old Who, the character will be fresh for me (I have heard the name, though, and recognise that this is a Time Lord... but that's about it). Sounds interesting, though, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Cainen
2008-10-07, 02:30 PM
The pair starred in a production of Hamlet in the summer and now Stewart — who played Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek — is reported to have been offered a role in a two-parter involving the Daleks, set to be screened next year.

a two-parter involving the Daleks

You'd think they'd get tired of reusing them.

turkishproverb
2008-10-07, 02:39 PM
In fairness, not EVERY report mentions the daleks, so there's hope.

Vazzaroth
2008-10-07, 02:40 PM
Nice find.

Now, I just saw what I think is the finale to the latest season, but as I just came to the series about 2 months ago, Im confused on my timeline as I've been catching up.

The finale of season 1 (With the 9th) was him turning into the 10th, right?

The finale of season 2 (With the 10th) was the Dalek Cybermen war on earth arc, right?

The finale of season 3 was the Master takes over Earth arc? This was the finale episode until they make a new season then?
The biggest shock was finding out that Jack Harkness is probably

the face of Boe

Glawackus
2008-10-07, 02:54 PM
Nice find.

Now, I just saw what I think is the finale to the latest season, but as I just came to the series about 2 months ago, Im confused on my timeline as I've been catching up.

The finale of season 1 (With the 9th) was him turning into the 10th, right?

The finale of season 2 (With the 10th) was the Dalek Cybermen war on earth arc, right?

The finale of season 3 was the Master takes over Earth arc? This was the finale episode until they make a new season then?
The biggest shock was finding out that Jack Harkness is probably

the face of Boe

Negative on the last bit. The most recent season was the fourth one, with
the Daleks stealing the Earth in order to destroy all of reality as the Big Finale.

Vazzaroth
2008-10-07, 03:31 PM
Ah, I've seen the first episode of that arc. Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the rest.

Granas3
2008-10-07, 05:32 PM
if you do start watching, miss the original series; I swear, this a monster that is literally made out of bubble wrap dyed green.

turkishproverb
2008-10-07, 05:37 PM
Blasphemy. The origional series had some episodes that were WRATH OF KHAN good.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-07, 09:42 PM
To clarify, I was speaking about the awful deus ex machina in Last of the Time Lords where the citizens of earth believe in the Doctor and he is given enough psychic power to duel the Emperor for a few moments. I really, really felt that was the low point of the otherwise brilliant season 3 finale. :smallfurious:

Did I say all four seasons? *Bangs head on desk* I meant, all three box sets and hopefully getting box set four for christmas. I make wierd typos like that. :smallsigh:

And just to mention, I loved The Five Doctors and... arrgh. Can't remember the name - where the Fifth Doctor caused the Great Fire of London to stop an alien wiping out the earth with the Black Plague 1.5. Those and Earthshock are the only old episodes I've seen so far - I've got a few DVDs that were a gift from my grandfather and that I need to watch soon.

turkishproverb
2008-10-07, 10:46 PM
To clarify, I was speaking about the awful deus ex machina in Last of the Time Lords where the citizens of earth believe in the Doctor and he is given enough psychic power to duel the Emperor for a few moments. I really, really felt that was the low point of the otherwise brilliant season 3 finale. :smallfurious:

Did I say all four seasons? *Bangs head on desk* I meant, all three box sets and hopefully getting box set four for christmas. I make wierd typos like that. :smallsigh:

And just to mention, I loved The Five Doctors and... arrgh. Can't remember the name - where the Fifth Doctor caused the Great Fire of London to stop an alien wiping out the earth with the Black Plague 1.5. Those and Earthshock are the only old episodes I've seen so far - I've got a few DVDs that were a gift from my grandfather and that I need to watch soon.

Well, it did help a little that they tried to justify it with the use of the doctors tech, but yea, it was a little much.

But yea, glad I knonw that. Remember on series 4: watch time Crash before Voyage. :smallbiggrin:

horngeek
2008-10-08, 01:32 AM
Word (http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2008/10/07/patrick-stewart-to-swap-star-trek-for-dr-who-86081-21977884/) on the street (http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/10/05/Rumor-Mill-Patrick-Stewart-to-Guest-Star-in-Doctor-Who-.shtml) is that Patrick Stewart (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1770729.ece) is coming to DW as the Meddling Monk. (http://entertainment.oneindia.in/hollywood/top-stories/scoop/2008/patrick-stewart-doctor-who-071008.html)

YES YESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

*Collapses from exaustion*

EDIT: But I liked that bit in the season 3 finale!

turkishproverb
2008-10-08, 01:34 AM
:smallconfused:

Someone just had a nerdgasm.

horngeek
2008-10-08, 01:36 AM
:smallconfused:

Someone just had a nerdgasm.

Sig'd. Oh, definitely sig'd

DeathQuaker
2008-10-08, 10:19 AM

That's "The Visitation." Beyond some extremely nice period work, I like that Nyssa got to be useful in this episode. She is not my favorite character by a bit of a stretch, but she was still an interesting character who was criminally underused.

Re: Patrick Stewart: I have to wonder if they saw him performing in "Hamlet" with Tennant and someone jumped to a million-mile-away conclusion that must mean he's also going to be in DW.

Now, he still might be, and if he were, it would be awesome, but I'm skeptical until I hear from something other than a tabloid (which is where the rumor started).

The same article says that the Daleks, the Zygons, and... crap, I can't remember, but some other old-Who race.

I can believe some old Who creatures are going to show up in at least one of the specials (not counting the Cybermen in the Christmas special) , but it seems even a bit much for RTD at his fan-wankiest to ultimately have, what, four out of five specials be recycled monsters?

Sometimes, it's best to let the past go and let Zygons be Zygons.

:smallbiggrin:

Vazzaroth
2008-10-08, 11:24 AM

I thought they were going to overload Masters mind influencing satellites, not randomly energize the Doctor into Super Sayen mode.

DeathQuaker
2008-10-08, 11:50 AM
I thought they were going to overload Masters mind influencing satellites, not randomly energize the Doctor into Super Sayen mode.

THAT would have been extremely cool and would have made more sense.

It would also make Martha and the humans the spotlighted heroes, which is what I thought they were originally going for and which would have been a great twist--that the Doctor's role in saving the world this time was just by inspiring them.

The problem is that wouldn't have cured the Doctor of having been turned into Gollum. But of course the solution to that would be not to have the Master age him in the first place, which is a pointless plotstring anyway.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-08, 09:15 PM
YEEEEESSS!!! That would have been three different kinds of awesome! The only good parts of Last of the Time Lords were the Master's death scene, where Tennant showed off how much emotion he can pull off and the scene where Jack reveals his nickname - and the Doctor's reaction that revelation. I sometimes do that in RL, now. No. Nooooo. N... No!

turkishproverb
2008-10-08, 09:31 PM
The one flaw in that has a lot to do with the fact that The Toclifane were humans from a possible future, and the master used them as an example of how horrible humanity would always be. As such, we needed some great, live giving human task (as opposed to destruction) for the doctor to hold as humanities strength.

"Tell me the human race is degenerate now. When they can do this."

horngeek
2008-10-08, 10:53 PM
Say what you will about the series 3 finale, but I liked it quite a bit. Now, some may not, but I think it was good.

turkishproverb
2008-10-10, 11:42 PM
Say what you will about the series 3 finale, but I liked it quite a bit. Now, some may not, but I think it was good.

But...I was defending it.

SonicHairdryer
2008-10-11, 10:34 PM
Personally, I like Tennant well enough, but I've kind of grown tired of the way RTD has written Ten. I pretty much hated season 3's finale, and thought the show could sink no lower. Now, I kind of miss Jesusbell-Doctor. The consensus of my lil group of Whogeeks is that the season 4 finale was nothing but fanwankery, and Rusty's complete and utter sadomasochism. :sigh:
I ranted about it in my LJ after thinking on it for far longer than should be normal, but I'm obsessive, and I can hold a grudge. :tongue:
Now, I can't really say much for Old Who, as I haven't seen very much of it, but from what I have seen, the older plot lines were a bit more interesting. As my friend Ashley says, "They used to care more about plot than the special effects." She's seen a lot more of the Old Who than I have.
Though my overall opinion of the New Who.... Season 1 = A freakin buttload of win, with a few exceptions. Rose was pretty damn cool. For a Chav, anyway. Eccleston was just badass, and soo cool.
Season 2: Still kinda cool. Tennant was fun getting to know in the role. Rose kind of reduced herself to a very dependant, clingy mess who could do nary a thing without the Doctor.
Season 3: Had a few cool filler episodes (Blink, ftw!), and a brand new companion! The Doctor was pretty much emo the entire time, causing me to find him obnoxious, and whiny. I liked Martha a lot, but I was kind of sick of the whole "in love with the Doctor" thing by that point. Still, it was not a completely horrendous season barring the Jesusbell thing...
Season 4: Donna = WIN!, but that's my opinion. lol The Doctor is still kind of emo, but he's coming out of that, which I liked a lot. There were some damn awesome eps in this season that I had to simultaneously giggle and facepalm at just because I'm weird like that. Finale.... At least there was no clapping of hands this time, but the whole Rose thing..... There was no point in her being there except to bring Mickey and Jackie in order to save Sarah Jane.(And I think that's giving Rusty too much credit.) But she was pretty much useless. And her bitching and moaning about not getting on the subwave thing..... I wanted to shoot her. Then there was that whole running scene in which I thought I'd be ill. And they just STOP when they see the Dalek. ROSE HAS A BLOODY GUN, YOU IDIOTS! SHOOT THE DAMN THING! :furious: Then PD (Proper Doctor) bitching about killing the Daleks.... What the hell else are you supposed to do with that many Daleks? I mean srsly? And then dumping him off on Rose because he's dangerous? Uh, don't you love Rose? :confused: And what he did to Donna was just unfair. Mind rape, anyone? ARG!
Sorry bout all the white text, people. I just joined on here, and I don't yet know how to do the spoilers thingy. -.-"

horngeek
2008-10-12, 04:21 PM
But...I was defending it.

I was reffering to everyone who was going on about how it was crap.

Now, SonicHairDryer, maybe you think the series 4 finale was bad, but I liked it. LIKED.

The bit with Donna was a bit cruel, but when the alternative was letting her die, it was the only way.

Mr. Scaly
2008-10-12, 06:51 PM
I saw my first episode just the other day...The Sontaran Stratagem.

SonicHairdryer
2008-10-12, 08:06 PM
The bit with Donna was a bit cruel, but when the alternative was letting her die, it was the only way.
I'm just hoping that there's a chance he might just recalibrate the Chameleon Arch thing, and go back for her. Who knows? It could work....
As for the rest of the finale... I just didn't see much sense in a lot of it. That, coupled with my loosening grip on reality sets me off into a bitching fest that must be stopped by a giant brick wall. That, or a TARDIS. :biggrin:

horngeek
2008-10-12, 09:30 PM
Yeah, that is the only way I can see to bring Donna back.

As fo the rant...

*builds brick wall*:smallbiggrin:

SonicHairdryer
2008-10-12, 09:43 PM
Yeah, that is the only way I can see to bring Donna back.

As fo the rant...

*builds brick wall*:smallbiggrin:
Yuknow, I'd have preferred the TARDIS... At least that way, I'd be too mystified to care what I was ranting about. And hyper. Yay, hyperness! :biggrin:

Glawackus
2008-10-13, 09:08 AM
Another rumor: the Children in Need special this year will feature *deep breath* Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, and David Tennant. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/3183974/Seven-Dr-Whos-set-for-reunion.html)(That's 4-10. :smalltongue:)

(This is maybe a little too crazy for me, but hey, it's for charity, so maybe.)

Also, I guess Tennant and Davison's daughter are an item after all, and RTD thinks Prince Charles is a "miserable swine" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/3185863/Doctor-Who-producer-calls-Prince-of-Wales-a-miserable-swine.html) for not taking him up on an offer to guest star.

SonicHairdryer
2008-10-13, 01:01 PM
Another rumor: the Children in Need special this year will feature *deep breath* Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, and David Tennant. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/3183974/Seven-Dr-Whos-set-for-reunion.html)(That's 4-10. :smalltongue:)

(This is maybe a little too crazy for me, but hey, it's for charity, so maybe.)

Also, I guess Tennant and Davison's daughter are an item after all, and RTD thinks Prince Charles is a "miserable swine" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/3185863/Doctor-Who-producer-calls-Prince-of-Wales-a-miserable-swine.html) for not taking him up on an offer to guest star.
I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen, honestly. But then again, I'm biased because I think Rusty's trying to accomplish too much for the sake of going out with a bang. That's what I think happened with the season 4 finale. I honestly think he was trying to please too many people and ended up only pleasing half... Though I believe that the majority are pissed with the whole Donna thing... and the crackfic-esque ending with 10.2...

turkishproverb
2008-10-13, 07:12 PM

Little crowded. Unless it is more than 8 minutes this time.

Thats funny. STill, Good for Tennant. And Georgia Moffett for that matter. :smallbiggrin:

Funny about RTD though.

I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen, honestly. But then again, I'm biased because I think Rusty's trying to accomplish too much for the sake of going out with a bang. That's what I think happened with the season 4 finale. I honestly think he was trying to please too many people and ended up only pleasing half... Though I believe that the majority are pissed with the whole Donna thing... and the crackfic-esque ending with 10.2...

Yea, that was one of the big problems with the season 4 finale. I would have actually found it novel if Davros had a new type of minion in that series myself, commenting on the Daleks as failures or some such.

horngeek
2008-10-13, 09:20 PM
Why did that last bit need to be in spoilers?

Wait. The Daleks, FAILURES?

BLASPHEMY!! EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMINATE!!!

EXTERMINATE!

turkishproverb
2008-10-13, 10:27 PM
Why did that last bit need to be in spoilers?

Wait. The Daleks, FAILURES?

BLASPHEMY!! EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMINATE!!!

EXTERMINATE!

*sigh*

I'll go get my screwdriver...

factotum
2008-10-14, 04:08 AM
*sigh*

I'll go get my screwdriver...

Use a baseball bat, you get more of a heft with those. :smallbiggrin:

SonicHairdryer
2008-10-14, 02:52 PM
Little crowded. Unless it is more than 8 minutes this time.

Thats funny. STill, Good for Tennant. And Georgia Moffett for that matter. :smallbiggrin:

Funny about RTD though.

Yea, that was one of the big problems with the season 4 finale. I would have actually found it novel if Davros had a new type of minion in that series myself, commenting on the Daleks as failures or some such.
Ooo, ooo! I volunteer! :biggrin: I can sing them all the Phail Song to the Doctor Who tune! (And yes, my life is sad enough that I've sang it that way before. :eek:)

turkishproverb
2008-10-16, 08:47 PM
Ooo, ooo! I volunteer! :biggrin: I can sing them all the Phail Song to the Doctor Who tune! (And yes, my life is sad enough that I've sang it that way before. :eek:)

You. ARE. IN-ferior!

Latest in the rumor mill:

It is claimed (http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18421) that in Series 6 (2011) The Doctor Will Regenerate into his newest incarnation, Played by Paterson Joseph,, of Neverwhere (and Jekyll) fame.

I like that idea. :smallamused:

EDIT:

here (http://www.denofgeek.com/television/129413/doctor_who_has_the_next_doctor_been_chosen.html)co mes the rumor again.

Xavion&Pavion
2008-10-22, 07:31 PM
NOOOO!!!!!!! TENNANT!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
WHY!?!?!?!?!?! *sobs*

horngeek
2008-10-22, 09:42 PM
There, there, don't cry, all good things must...
stuff it. *cries*:smallfrown:

turkishproverb
2008-10-22, 11:33 PM
Hey, if the rumor is true, that means he'll at least be back for the 2010 series. Rumor for a while was he wasn't even going to do that.

And we'll be getting a good replacement. Watch Neverwhere.

Aidan305
2008-11-20, 09:17 AM
Ressurection time with this handy dandy link (http://io9.com/5087863/an-identity-crisis-for-the-doctor-in-doctor-whos-christmas-special) to the first two minutes of the Christmas Special.

Interesting. Looks like the doctor doesn't remember his eighth incarnation. I wonder why?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-20, 10:00 AM
Um, that isn't doctor 8. This is 8's actor.
http://www.carebearjedi.com/Paul%20McGann.jpg
This is the new guy.
http://www.eyeofhorus.org.uk/images/photo/10tennant/series-05/christmas-special/david-morrissey-railings.jpg

Aidan305
2008-11-20, 11:31 AM
Hmmm. True.I mistook the clothing for that of the eighth Doctor.So the question is, who is it?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-20, 12:02 PM
Hmmm. True.I mistook the clothing for that of the eighth Doctor.So the question is, who is it?The BBC are clearly (by virtue of the fact that they put this out not long after his "I am leaving anouncment" and by the script the person who showed it was following) want us to think that this is Doctor 11.

This makes no sence unless The Doctor gets a memory wipe.

Other theories that where put forward before 10 anoucned he was quitting involve a human pretending to be the Doctor or a regenerated (even though that happening would make no sense) Donna Noble.

Hermit
2008-11-20, 12:07 PM
The actor is David Morrissey.

As for the christmas special, random conjecture ahead:

Despite the episode being called "the Next Doctor", I'd put money on him being a fake. He even calls his assistant (The woman yelling for help) Rosita. As in Rose-ita. Rogue Time Agents running some sort of con, perhaps? :p

turkishproverb
2008-11-21, 01:38 AM
The actor is David Morrissey.

As for the christmas special, random conjecture ahead:

Despite the episode being called "the Next Doctor", I'd put money on him being a fake. He even calls his assistant (The woman yelling for help) Rosita. As in Rose-ita. Rogue Time Agents running some sort of con, perhaps? :p

There was a Big Finish audio drama like that, it was called "The One Doctor"

thorgrim29
2008-11-21, 01:56 AM
So, black doctor then? Why not, though I'd have preferred Nesbit from Jekyll, that man is bloody brilliant. Also, neverwhere, just read the book, should I watch?

turkishproverb
2008-11-21, 02:02 AM
So, black doctor then? Why not, though I'd have preferred Nesbit from Jekyll, that man is bloody brilliant. Also, neverwhere, just read the book, should I watch?

Watch. Now

Now.

You wILL wAtch it nOW. The DAleks comMAnd it!

*puts dalek in closet*

Sorry about that. But seriously, watch the miniseries. It's great. And you'll see why I think he'd be a great doctor.

kamikasei
2008-11-21, 03:21 AM
I only know that guy as Johnson from Peep Show (and various roles from That Mitchell and Webb Look). The prospect of him as the Doctor therefore freaks me out.

AKA_Bait
2008-11-21, 01:02 PM
I'm going to jump in here and ask... does Season two match up to Season one of the new series? I'd never watched Dr. Who until I started with the 2005 series starring Eccleston. It rocked. I've tried to watch some of the older ones but the production value and general feeling of datedness made me flee after a few minutes. I've watchted the first two episodes of the second season (well the Christmas Invasion and the next one), and I was not as enamored of the show, or Tennet, as Eccleston.

Basically, does it improve to be as good or better than the first season? How does it do so? (I'm ok with being spoiled).

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-21, 01:05 PM
The overall quality does go up but the accuracy becomes more erratic. The Mean is higher but some of the episodes are worse and some are awesome given solid form.

thegurullamen
2008-11-21, 01:37 PM
Basically, does it improve to be as good or better than the first season? How does it do so? (I'm ok with being spoiled).

The simple answer? Stephen Moffat continues writing episodes. In other words, as long as this continues, DW = GOLD PLATED AWESOME.

And you haven't even seen the best Moffat episodes. And Tennant is a great Who.

dariathalon
2008-11-21, 07:17 PM
Tennant does make a very good doctor. One thing you have to understand is that with every incarnation the doctor's very character changes to a certain extent. Don't expect Tennant to play the same doctor that Eccleston did, while many things will be the same, almost as many will be different. It takes some time to get used to this shift, for both viewers and those involved in the show's production.

As far as specific ways it matches or exceeds the first season, as others have said, the best episodes of seasons two (and onward) are probably better than the best episodes of season one. On the whole, the writing did improve, but there were still some very shaky episodes. Tennant has a slightly quirkier spin on the doctor than Eccleston did, and the doctor's quirks have always been one of the character's appeals for me. On the companion front, the only one I found weak was Martha (season 3). Rose was just as good in season two as one, and Donna, in season four, was almost as good once you got past the whole run-away bride incident.

turkishproverb
2008-11-21, 11:52 PM
I'm going to jump in here and ask... does Season two match up to Season one of the new series? I'd never watched Dr. Who until I started with the 2005 series starring Eccleston. It rocked. I've tried to watch some of the older ones but the production value and general feeling of datedness made me flee after a few minutes. I've watchted the first two episodes of the second season (well the Christmas Invasion and the next one), and I was not as enamored of the show, or Tennet, as Eccleston.

It gets much better. Still not all great episodes, but it gets much better.

As to the old series, you've gotta watch specific eps if you care that much about special effects. Genesis of the Daleks is pretty good when it comes to SF given the time period.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-22, 04:17 AM
It gets much better. Still not all great episodes, but it gets much better.

As to the old series, you've gotta watch specific eps if you care that much about special effects. Genesis of the Daleks is pretty good when it comes to SF given the time period.

Space Natzis and Davros. Classic Who at its best.

EDIT: I realised that this may seem sarcastic. I isn't.

turkishproverb
2008-11-22, 04:36 AM
Space Natzis and Davros. Classic Who at its best.

EDIT: I realised that this may seem sarcastic. I isn't.

Indeed. Right up there with bearded evil time lords using M.C. Escher geography to try to defeat their enemies.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-22, 04:47 AM
How about to the alternate universe with either communist or fascist UNIT and underground slime that turns you into wolfmen?

turkishproverb
2008-11-22, 05:00 AM
How about to the alternate universe with either communist or fascist UNIT and underground slime that turns you into wolfmen?

Not bad, but the really scary thing about that alternate universe?

The Fascist leader is that universe's Doctor

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-22, 05:20 AM
The Fascist leader is that universe's Doctor

I am not overly enamoured with that novel, especially as the terminology used in the TV show seems to indicate a Communist, not Fascist, regime. Mind you the idea does fit. It is quite easy to see the Doctor go from protecting humanity by turning up to fight aliens and protecting them by taking control.

turkishproverb
2008-11-22, 05:31 AM
I am not overly enamoured with that novel, especially as the terminology used in the TV show seems to indicate a Communist, not Fascist, regime. Mind you the idea does fit. It is quite easy to see the Doctor go from protecting humanity by turning up to fight aliens and protecting them by taking control.

anywho.....:smallwink:

Remembrance of the daleks is supposed to be fun as well.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-22, 05:53 AM
If you like the darker side of things, Revelation of the Daleks is quite good. A friend of mine (I wouldn't know, I have never seen it) descripbed it as Blake Sevenish.

magellan
2008-11-22, 07:45 AM
Do 9th and 10th look better than 4th doctor? (only old doctor i have seen so far) I'd go as far and say: "No"
Sure, the clumpy arm of Noah in ark in space is just a spray painted shopping bag, but likewise the slivreen are just some run of the mill CGI models. Compare old Who to other TV Sci Fi of the era and you come to the conclusion that its pretty much state of the art, maybe slightly on the cheap side. It still is today. I think you shouldnt let the fact that computers got cheaper in the last 50 years interfere with your enjoyment of a TV show :)

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-22, 08:07 AM
Oh and try and catch "The happiness patrol" if you can. 7th doctor story that is a lesson in Nightmare Fuel that would make Moffat proud. A Paranoiaesk "Happiness is Mandatory" dystopia with a villain to give even jaded youths nightmares. Despite the slightly silly appearance.http://blog.kobek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/kandy_man.jpgHe is a torturer and executioner who likes his victims to die with a smile on their face.

Silent Hunter
2008-11-23, 07:32 AM
At 17.16 and 20 seconds on 23 November 1963, the theme music of this show was broadcast for the first time.

Forty-five years ago today, "An Unearthly Child" was aired, making Doctor Who 45.

:smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Athaniar
2008-11-23, 03:36 PM

Inferno, right? See, I knew that one without looking it up.

Also, my favorite Doctor so far (out of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th, and 10th) is the Fourth. Just in case someone wondered.

turkishproverb
2008-11-25, 03:36 AM
At 17.16 and 20 seconds on 23 November 1963, the theme music of this show was broadcast for the first time.

Forty-five years ago today, "An Unearthly Child" was aired, making Doctor Who 45.

:smallsmile: :smallsmile:

And on that note, they have recently stated that "The Next Doctor" TV special staring David Tennant is in fact based upon "The One doctor" audio drama starring Colin Baker.

Spoiler
This means that the other doctor mentioned and seen is a con man acting like he's the doctor.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-25, 03:59 PM
So, any thoughts on how the Daleks are coming back next?

Silent Hunter
2008-11-28, 04:18 PM
I watched the first episode of Survivors tonight and I can't quite imagine
Paterson Joseph
as the Doctor.

We shall see, if he's the guy.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-28, 04:33 PM
So, any thoughts on how the Daleks are coming back next?I really hope they don't for a year or two. They can't keep up loosing like that, it ruins all their Villainousness.

turkishproverb
2008-11-29, 02:10 AM
I watched the first episode of Survivors tonight and I can't quite imagine
Paterson Joseph
as the Doctor.

We shall see, if he's the guy.

Watch Neverwhere. It helps. The guy has quite a range.

As to the daleks. I'm in favor of the next episode involving them to be an out of order encounter. Doctor timetravels, encounters Daleks whom haven't even been in the time war yet.

Silent Hunter
2009-01-02, 11:53 AM
The next Doctor is announced tomorrow!