PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Compendium Opinions

hotel_papa
2008-08-16, 07:24 PM
I just got the Dragon Compendium for my birthday. Had been wanting it ever since I heard of it on this forum. I'm a bit of a completionist, own every 3.5 book there is, and this felt like the "lost" book.

I've looked over it, and like a lot of it, but some of it confuses the hell out of me, while other bits just seem poorly put together.(For example, the damned Casurua. 5 incorporeal touches at +14 for d6 wisdom drain?!? At CR 12?)

I'm curious. Who else has this book? For those of you who own and/or have used this book, what are your thoughts? What sort of stuff do you use from it, and if so, how do you houserule/implement it?

HP

ColonelFuster
2008-08-16, 07:48 PM
Jester brings joy to my heart. Battle Dancer is the monk fix that everyone wants, minus flurry of blows. New dragons are interesting.

Dr Bwaa
2008-08-16, 07:49 PM
I've heard varying things about the DC, never read it until you mentioned it just now. I took a look around (that Casurua is gross), as DC is literally a compilation of things straight out of the Dragon magazine, I'm not all that surprised to find some things off-balance.

I will tell you that there's an eccentric NPC wizard in a campaign I'm DMing who the players haven't really met very well yet: as of right now, he's definitely a Force Missile Mage :smallbiggrin:

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-16, 08:18 PM
I liked the Dragon Ascendant PRC as a model for a Dieties and Demigods Einherjer template PRC.

They recycled some of the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook: Wondrous Architecture (Pool of Scrying at 7,500 GP)

Dragon cohorts was kind of interesting but of marginal use (Needing an extra feat to have a Young (CR14) Gold Dragon Cohort at Level 19 for the ECL20 - 3 = ECL 17).

Thought a lot of the Dragon writeups were pretty lame: Look at Drachenflagrion a Young Adult Red Dragon's known spell selection casting a Sorc -5 who likes to collect art objects:

Read Magic.....

Alarm, Magic Missile, Prot from Good, Ventriloquism

Darkness, Obscure Object

hotel_papa
2008-08-16, 08:38 PM
As cool as all of those things you said are, CASTLEMIKE, they are from the Dracronomicon, not the Dragon Compendium.

I do agree with everything you said, though.

So you have that, then.

HP

DareTheRogue
2008-08-16, 09:12 PM
I love the book, and after going thru it about 50 times and never getting to use any of it I got to run a Tibbit Cleric, an then later a Tibbit Battle Dancer, so my fun with that race. But I have to say yes some of the stuff may not be just right.

DrowVampyre
2008-08-16, 09:24 PM
Three words: Tibbit Dragonfire Adept (Read: fire breathing kitty! ^_^)

Tibbits alone are enough reason to love that book.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-16, 09:28 PM
Now I'm interested.

More for the possibilities of running a Tibbit cleric with leadership and a bunch of touch buffs for his Barb cohort with 3 int than anything else. Is there an online excerpt?

DareTheRogue
2008-08-16, 10:13 PM
Not that I have found. I had to buy it in the end so I could have a copy...

Falrin
2008-08-16, 10:18 PM
You should run a Shadow Dragon.

Slap on as much Breath Feats on him as you can (Lingering & Enlarge) And get him Greater Invisibility.

When some Minor Undead Minions Attack The PC's with a Flyby. They'll never know what hit then when they get drained for two rounds.