PDA

View Full Version : What game has the best music?

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-16, 08:31 PM
Hello, everyone. I was wondering what people thought on the matter of what games have the best music?
In this case, best is personall preferance, of course.
Well, I would say that Mother 3 has some very good songs, if not my favourites. Porkey's theme and VS. The masked man were great songs.
So, what do you think?

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-16, 08:33 PM
I like the music from the Metroid games, especially the prime series. And Halo. Halo has cool music. I'm sure there are others, but nothing comes to mind right now.

Dumbledore lives
2008-08-16, 08:35 PM
Though it's not really one games music it does have some of the best music around. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Every good piece of music from every Nintendo game ever. I may exaggerate but that's pretty much what it is. You could spend days listening to all the music. Definitely my favorite game's music.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-08-16, 08:37 PM
Hard to choose...

Final Fantasy (all of it), Medieval II - Total War, Deus Ex, Street Fighter 2, Herzog Zwei, StarCraft and Sonic the Hedgehog III are all at the top for me.

The Orange Zergling
2008-08-16, 08:39 PM
I'd like to put Ikaruga on the list; very difficult game so I haven't gotten to the later levels but the music in the first couple is very excellent.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-08-16, 08:41 PM
Damnit, can't choose!

Sonic III, Medieval II, Herzog Zwei and Deus Ex are probably at the top of the list. Only games I really listen to just for the purpose of listening to the music.

Volug
2008-08-16, 08:46 PM
Okami.

I'm dead serious, 300 songs and they are ALL good. Fan-boy-ism aside... mostly.
With Fan-boy-ism aside you won't find a BAD one.

Well worth the money, Okami soundtrack is THE BEST soundtrack for any game (in my honest opinion, there are a lot of good ones, but the epic ness of this one can't be matched the only one that comes close is Shadow of the COlosus).

My youtube profile has both SotC and Okami music. Link (http://www.youtube.com/user/MasatoHyuga)

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-16, 08:49 PM
Personally, I like Rock Band and Guitar Hero myself...:smallbiggrin:

Seriously, I like the Music in Halo, but besides that there really isn't anything that I would want to have the soundtrack for.

Edit: Okami Soundtrack sounds pretty good.

Edan
2008-08-16, 08:50 PM
I will say that from the SNES era Actraiser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actraiser) had a killer soundtrack that I still hum today. Great game, great music, I loved rocking out to that killer sound.

bobothegoat
2008-08-16, 08:53 PM
Golden Sun series had some pretty awesome sounding music, for being midi files on a Gameboy.

Cainen
2008-08-16, 08:53 PM
Ys: Oath in Felghana. Ambivalent about its gameplay, don't like its plot, but that soundtrack is killer.

So was the soundtrack of what it was a remake of.

Dogmantra
2008-08-16, 09:02 PM
Total Annihilation. Generally considered to be one of Jeremy Soule's greatest works. Also, Morrowind, another of Jeremy Soule's.

Volug
2008-08-16, 09:05 PM
Golden Sun series had some pretty awesome sounding music, for being midi files on a Gameboy.

Do you know if they have a soundtrack for it?

I WANT IT.

Oh yeah, the video on my profile, is just an 8-bit version of the normal one >_>

Okami isn't 8-bit.

Sorry if it seems like I'm advertising myself D=
I really don't need subscribers, much less, need as much as I have now.

TheBoneSplitter
2008-08-16, 09:50 PM
Doom - E1M7
Doom II - Map 07
Heroes of Might and Magic II
Lands of Lore (some of the cave music, the White Tower and the final castle in the game)
FF VII (Sandy Badlands being a highlight)
FF X (basically Seymour's themes)
Second level in Sonic & Knuckles
EVERY SINGLE tune in Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings
WoW - Wetlands
Warcraft II (mostly Horde-side music)

That's about all I can name at the moment.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-16, 10:02 PM

Agreed, although I'd place it second to Advance Wars (particularly the third). That has what is possibly the best score ever to grace a handheld.

Shadow Hearts. Imagine some of the better FF music but with the occasional dip into horror and some really effective percussion. That's Shadow Hearts. It's the only game soundtrack that I actually own.

Nobuo Uematsu's FF scores are pretty much a given. Face it, the guy's a legend for a reason and the standard of music in the series started to go downhill as he became less involved.

Heroes of Might and Magic 2&3. The second is slightly better (it makes opera cool) but didn't have quite the same technical quality as the third. Either way, definitely the some of the best TBS scores I can name. Hell, I haven't played the second in nearly a decade and I can still remember what it sounded like.

The third of The Incredible Machine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine) games. I played the game a lot as a kid, and liked listening to the soundtrack almost as much as the funny puzzles. I rediscovered it a couple of years ago, having got hold of the last updated version, and was quite surprised to find the soundtrack, while a bit cheesy at times, really was pretty accomplished.

Zarah
2008-08-16, 10:17 PM
Also, Morrowind, another of Jeremy Soule's.

Agreed. Half of the reason I felt so immersed in that world was because of the music. Oblivion's soundtrack was good too, but I still think Morrowind's was superior. Especially the better version of Nerevar Rising on the special edition soundtrack. That track is made of so much win.

When it comes to music in games, I have a lot of favorites. The Guild Wars games had some great scores too, especially Eye of the North. (Although I never played that expansion, I bought the soundtrack. And was not disappointed in the least.) I've always loved the music from pretty much all the Megaman X games. They might not be pieces of art, but I found them to be pretty catchy.

As for a more retro look on game music, Super Castlevania IV had some pretty rockin' tunes, especially the main theme that comes blaring in during the final battle with Dracula. That was just downright awesome. Oh, and Super Metroid. I still find myself humming the theme from Brinstar every now and then.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-16, 10:31 PM
Castlevainia has some great music, or at least it was when I heard it live.
And I agree, Okami has excellent music.

alchemyprime
2008-08-16, 10:35 PM
Zelda.

Sorry. I'm biased. Let me try an unbiased opinion.

Zelda.

Nope, can't do it.

Trizap
2008-08-16, 10:44 PM
Super Smash brothers Brawl.

Terraoblivion
2008-08-16, 11:06 PM
I think that for me it is Final Fantasy VI, with the opera and Relm's theme as the high points, and Okami. Both games just have utterly excellent music throughout them. FFVI is better in the non-midi versions found on various soundtrack cds.

Dhavaer
2008-08-16, 11:17 PM
The music that plays on the menu screen of Deus Ex, and the music that plays as you're going to rescue Tali after the assault of Chora's Den in Mass Effect.

RTGoodman
2008-08-16, 11:28 PM
I think they've all been mentioned by now, but the music I specifically remember liking a lot is that from Morrowind, the Zelda series, and the Halo series. I'm sure there are others, but I'll have to look through my games to see if I remember anything else. :smallredface:

Jaxile
2008-08-17, 12:57 AM
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

The Bramble levels.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M (linker not working)

Also, I'm a loooong time lurker.

13_CBS
2008-08-17, 01:19 AM
If you like Romantic-era chamber music, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is the game for you.

Christ, the main theme makes me tear up sometimes: http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Gbjnb19FM

factotum
2008-08-17, 01:33 AM
One of my favourite game tracks of all time is "Tristram" from Diablo 2 (and also the town music from Diablo 1). You can download it for free from Blizzard's website somewhere. The first Terran track from Starcraft is pretty awesome, too...in fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard a track in a Blizzard game that hasn't been at least worth listening to!

Poison_Fish
2008-08-17, 01:44 AM
In my itunes right now is: Shadow of the Colossus OST, the Deus Ex soundtrack, the Half Life 2 Soundtrack, and the Portal Sound Track.

What can I say, I like me some mood music. Makes great background tabletop gaming music.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-17, 01:48 AM
I love the music from Starfox 1 (I've watched a lot of footage from it on Youtube, and I hope it will et released for the Virtual Console 1 day).

Tirian
2008-08-17, 02:21 AM
It sounds like you all need to start playing Katamari Damacy. And then this will happen to you (http://www.xkcd.com/161/).

Kane
2008-08-17, 02:32 AM
The internet is not mine to award, but if it was, you, Sir, would win it. XKCD has a comic pertinent to every situation!

On topic, Final Fantasy Tactics. Might be a little fan-y-ness, but I really liked the music, and think it's just great, if you can forgive it for being noticably (something)-bit.

Bethla Garrison was Epic.

Dihan
2008-08-17, 03:17 AM
Super Smash Bros Brawl, some Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, some of The World Ends With You, Zelda and Kirby.

The Evil Thing
2008-08-17, 03:26 AM
Probably a toss-up between Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander. I also enjoyed the Terran music from Starcraft and the USA music from C&C Generals.

Om
2008-08-17, 07:07 AM
No one has mentioned the Monkey Island theme (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6fvO__ywTZg&feature=related)? For shame

Murska
2008-08-17, 07:11 AM
I also enjoyed the Terran music from Starcraft

And gimme a shout for RADIO FREE ZERG! :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2008-08-17, 07:34 AM
Hmmm... while Blizzard games - especially the older ones, WarCraft II, Diablo I and StarCraft - have quite awesome music (I must say, sadly, that I perceive an almost chronological downwards trend in the music's quality in Blizzard's games), I think I have to give my vote to two older titles.

Namely, Command&Conquer 1: Tiberium Dawn ("I'm a mechanical, I'm a mechanical, I'm a mechanical man!" still remains one of the most iconic and memorable pieces I have ever listened to in a computer game), with its wide selection of completely different, yet almost exclusively awesome tracks.

And Mech Warrior 2: 31st Century Combat, with just about the most immersive soundtrack ever. The music really made one feel as if one was truly fighting for honour in the sunset of a distant, deserted world. The game itself was awesome, but the soundtrack made it truly great.

Morty
2008-08-17, 07:39 AM
Lemmings 2: The Tribes, especially the music from Medieval Tribe.
Also, Planescape: Torment. It fits perfectly into the game, especially Deionarra's Theme and the music from Fortress of Regrets.

Geno9999
2008-08-17, 07:56 AM
The music in Brawl and... Fire Emblem! That series has some of the coolest music such as "Black Knight", "Together We Ride" (part of Fire Emblem theme in Melee)
However, the one that I like the most is Super Mario Bros. Theme. Brings back childhood memories of playing it in Super Mario All-Stars.

Emperor Ing
2008-08-17, 07:57 AM
I like the music from the Metroid games, especially the prime series. And Halo. Halo has cool music. I'm sure there are others, but nothing comes to mind right now.

Gah! THat's what I was going to say!

Corlindale
2008-08-17, 08:11 AM
Little Big Adventure 2 has some pretty awesome tracks, especially "Song for Gabriel"(plays during the intro), "The Emperor" and the main theme.

Might & Magic VI. Kind of a shame that the soundtrack has the ambient sounds entwined with the music, but there are still some pretty nice stuff. Castle Ironfist theme is epic, and the soft guiter theme for one of the last areas, the name of which I forgot, is pure melancholy.

GTA: Vice City has a very good soundtrack, though it might not count as they use music from other sources. Still, the selection of tracks really manages to give the game that special 80's feel that helped make it my favourite game of the series.

And Monkey Island must not be forgotten, of course (incidentally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYZXNVHVfhc)

factotum
2008-08-17, 11:46 AM
Might & Magic VI.

I was forgetting those...I preferred the intro music from Might and Magic 7, though (the track that played over the menu screen).

Seonor
2008-08-17, 12:14 PM
The music in Beyond Good & Evil (http://gamemusicjukebox.com/?id=9) was really good, especially "spanish bar", "dramatic fight" and "propaganda rap".

Holammer
2008-08-17, 01:00 PM
Technically not game music but still. The infamous Ocean loader! I still get this special feeling listening to that song. (youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92CRWLx_zBg)). All five versions are distinct and good background audio when reading a comic while loading.

Plenty of games on the humble C64 had awesome sound. Last ninja anyone?

H. Zee
2008-08-17, 01:29 PM
Planescape: Torment. It's the only game whose music is so good I put it on my iPod.

Also, the Kane & Lynch theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM-4l5QiNu4). From the game of the same name. Short but sweet.

Cespenar
2008-08-17, 01:39 PM
Also, Planescape: Torment. It fits perfectly into the game, especially Deionarra's Theme and the music from Fortress of Regrets.

Definitely seconded. My other candidates would be: Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale 2, Starcraft (marine themes, to be exact), Heroes 3-4-5 (the castle themes are always so fitting with their atmosphere), Hearts of Iron 2, Europa Universalis 2 (arguable), the last two Prince of Persia, Morrowind, etc.

Generally, good games come with good musics as well.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-17, 01:44 PM
The Rainbow Six music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA98G5vd6HQ) is pretty damn heroic.
Halo, of course, must be mentioned. The Silent Cartographer music is probably the best in it.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-17, 03:23 PM
It sounds like you all need to start playing Katamari Damacy. And then this will happen to you (http://www.xkcd.com/161/).

:smallbiggrin: Ahh it's true...

Dihan
2008-08-17, 04:21 PM
I completely forgot the Phoenix Wright games. A perfect example of Leitmotif at its cheesiest. :smallbiggrin:

Lorn
2008-08-17, 04:32 PM
Going to have to say Icewind Dale. Music really sets the scene for that game, and fits in amazingly for other games of the same genre, as long as you avoid the messed up system they use for the combat music - it's literally made on the fly :/

Also going to have to say Morrowind and Oblivion.

What can I say, I like fantasy RPGs...

Jade Falcon
2008-08-18, 01:15 AM
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident has a very nice soundtrack, especially the music on the starmap where you get your briefings and ship layouts for the missions.

Vampire Bloodlines has some decent tracks, too.

Phae Nymna
2008-08-18, 01:19 AM
*cough*
Katamari

LesterLester
2008-08-18, 04:34 AM
Medieval Total War 1 (the background music on the campaign map was really great, it made you feel like the king at his court, pushing around the pieces. Oh, also the songs played when you win, epic!)

Diablo 2( I'm using the soundtrack for my postapocalyptical D&D group)

Beyond Good And Evil(especially the first few songs, isle de noir etc.)

*looking into my music folder* Oh yes! Jet Set Radio Future, Jade Empire(pure gold) and some songs from the Halo trilogy (especially Halo 3, which mixes themes from Halo 1 and 2) and lets not forget Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines ('The Deb of Night' ,anyone?)

Hoggy
2008-08-18, 05:24 AM
Have Devil May Cry 3 and Metal Gear Solid music on my MP3.

Shadow Of Colossus and FFX must also be mentioned.

Finally, Dynasty Warriors 3 - He Fei Castle - Wu forces. Epic, epic music.

busterswd
2008-08-18, 05:26 AM
Chrono Trigger, FF VI

Some parts of Baldur's Gate II, especially the love themes.

I'm also a large fan of To Zanarkand from FF X.

Oh, also, for sheer number of professional remakes of Nintendo songs, Smash Brawl. You're bound to find SOMETHING you enjoy in there.

And Megaman II.

Icewalker
2008-08-18, 05:51 AM
Brawl music is fantastic. I also have the Halo 2 Soundtrack, and it's good. I get more movie soundtracks than game ones, in general.

Ominous
2008-08-18, 09:07 AM
The Halo series, the Zelda series, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FF7, FF10, Sonics 3 & Knucles, and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Vanguard sucked, but the music was so fantastic that I'm willing to buy whatever future games Todd Masten does the music for without knowing anything else about them.

Castaras
2008-08-18, 10:50 AM
Might and Magic VII and VIII music:

VIII: Ravage Roaming, Fire Elemental Plane, and the Pirate themes. Awesome music. Oh, and the Water Elemental Plane music.

VII: The Intro music. While the music in VII isn't as good as in VIII, it was still well composed for the areas they were in.

JMobius
2008-08-18, 11:45 AM
Homeworld and Homeworld 2
Deus Ex
Age of Wonders
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

Hoggy
2008-08-18, 11:49 AM
Oh, and Populous. The bit that sounds like Kim - Eminem is awesome.

Pocketa
2008-08-20, 01:53 PM
Zelda is consistently awesome, Brawl, FFX/X-2

I didn't like ToS, or FFTA.

The Evil Thing
2008-08-21, 06:20 AM
That Baba Yetu song from Civ 4 was pretty good too.

Martok
2008-08-21, 10:00 AM
Four games always stick out in my mind in terms of music:

Shogun Total War
Star Trek The Next Generation: Birth of the Federation
Star Trek: Klingon Academy
Rome Total War

Whatever other flaws these games have (and all but the first one have some doozies!), their soundtracks are superb. I find RTW to be a pretty lousy game overall, but I absolutely love listening to its various music tracks; they're *very* well done. :smallsmile:

LordVader
2008-08-21, 06:57 PM
Halo has a great soundtrack. As does Zelda. Let's not forget Starcraft either. The Total War series has some good stuff, my favorite being The Duke of Death from M2:TW and whatever the Rome Total War menu theme is.
But my all-time favorite, well that can only go to Heroes of Might and Magic III. Just some really good orchestral stuff in that game, and I listen to it pretty much every day. II has a good soundtrack as well.

Specifically, Combat 1&4 and just about every town them except for Tower is literally epic and amazing, and even the menu music is sweet.

kpenguin
2008-08-21, 07:54 PM
Super Smash Brothers Brawl. It simply has the best tracks from all of the Nintendo franchises included, plus a few more, and, in some cases, improved upon them.

Fan
2008-08-21, 08:02 PM
Final fantasy hands down, tasteful latin opera, and rock what more can you ask for?

TheEmerged
2008-08-21, 08:07 PM
Some obscurer choices but...

Tropico (an island sim game). The only game I've ever just turned on and left running on the menu screen (all the songs were on a loop), just to have the music playing while I worked.

Arcanum. I think somebody mentioned this one, but it deserves another mention.

Freedom Force. The game itself was a disappointment for me, but this was the first time I ever went to the trouble to hack the game files to extract the music.

Nada Rakshasa
2008-08-21, 08:32 PM
I'm partial to the soundtrack from Chrono Cross. And I've been addicted to the Silent Hill soundtrack for the past couple of weeks . . .

kpenguin
2008-08-21, 08:44 PM
Freedom Force. The game itself was a disappointment for me, but this was the first time I ever went to the trouble to hack the game files to extract the music.

You didn't like Freedom Force? I enjoyed it... until my cd broke down.:smallannoyed:

TheEmerged
2008-08-21, 09:16 PM
You didn't like Freedom Force? I enjoyed it... until my cd broke down.:smallannoyed:

Spoilered for Off Topic
I played through it once, discovered it was a very different game than I was expecting, and put the disks away afterwards. I was expecting an RPG, I got an RTS without economics. It was fun enough, but not something I had any desire to play through a second time.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-08-21, 09:34 PM
I completely forgot the Phoenix Wright games. A perfect example of Leitmotif at its cheesiest. :smallbiggrin:

This. Especially Investigation~(Questioned), Investigation~(Cornered) and Investigation~(Caught).

Rogue 7
2008-08-22, 11:53 PM
Super Smash Bros Brawl, some Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, some of The World Ends With You, Zelda and Kirby.

I am currently addicted to listening to Three Minutes Clapping off of the The World Ends With You soundtrack. And I hate rap.

Enlong
2008-08-23, 12:50 AM
Secret of Mana has the best songs I've ever heard in a video game. I dare you to listen to Danger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfMq5nt53o0), The Oracle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUtK0fsYcps), and Meridian Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Us6Bg4pw8&feature=related) and tell me that they aren't among the best boss battle themes you've ever heard.

UnChosenOne
2008-08-23, 10:04 AM
Metal gear solid does have many excelent song's like:
Rex's lair (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=synBp17IGfo), The Best Is Yet To Come (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g), Hind D (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPEcDa-F50) and 3rd have the Snake Eater song.
Then the starcraft does have terran theme song's. And M2TW (Medival 2 Total War) grand campaining backgroundmusic.

Geno9999
2008-08-23, 08:32 PM
For some reason I like listening to Song of Storms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znio6fc7Wfo) from LoZ:Oot. For some reason it feels like some crazy guy in a windmill would think of (waaaaaait....).
Green Hill Zone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyao6zsyw5s) from Sonic the Hedgehog is just plain fun.

Ashen Lilies
2008-08-23, 10:25 PM
No one, NO ONE, has mentioned Red Alert(2)? Hell March(2) is probably the best game theme I've ever heard. But yeah, I like the music from TD as well. (I'm a mechanical man!)

LordVader
2008-08-23, 10:41 PM
Song of Storms is freaking awesome.

snoopy13a
2008-08-23, 11:38 PM
Grand Theft Auto Vice City

80's music > all :smalltongue:

Reinboom
2008-08-24, 01:49 AM
Blaster Master, especially the 4th area.

Otherwise
Hacked Super Mario World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIRCzbBB99E)

burninnapalm
2008-08-24, 11:30 AM
Zelda has good music, Halo has good music, FF has good music, but none of them compare to the music in SUIKODEN 1-5, i mean seriously... suikoden 2 is the best game of all time. Period. but just because "better graphics" make other games "surpass" it, is not suikoden 2;s fault, it cant help it came out in 1996, lets put it this way, for when the game came out, the graphics in Suikoden 2 were like the graphics of halo 3 in a game made 5 years ago. oh well.

Cespenar
2008-08-24, 04:47 PM
No one, NO ONE, has mentioned Red Alert(2)? Hell March(2) is probably the best game theme I've ever heard. But yeah, I like the music from TD as well. (I'm a mechanical man!)

No, please, don't. I accept that Hell March was good. But mechanical man was nothing less than utter insanity. As most of the tracks in that game.

Hoggy
2008-08-25, 02:54 AM
I thought about Suikoden V, but didn't go for it in the end. Sure, it has some great pieces, BUT they quite often seem to be played at the wrong time, which makes them less effective.

AslanCross
2008-08-25, 03:41 AM
I like many kinds of music, so I'll list down the games that stick to my mind the most (not really in order):

1) Guilty Gear. Really good metal soundtrack.

2) Parasite Eve I. Pretty awesome techno music. Yoko Shimomura did a good job of making the music fit the scenes. Pieces like Kyrie, Femmes Fatales, Plosive Attack and the last boss theme, U.B., are my favorites.

3) Final Fantasy's got a few songs I really like. Dancing Mad (FFVI last boss), Still More Fighting (FFVII boss), and the entire FFVIII end boss score (Premonition, The Legendary Beast, Maybe I'm A Lion, and The Extreme) were all really good and memorable. While FFVII's final boss theme, One Winged Angel, was really awesome, it just got too overused quickly. I still like its metal version from Advent Children.

4) Warcraft III. I especially like the Human BGM they introduced in The Frozen Throne (the sad one with chanting).

5) Diablo and Diablo II. Pretty much everything is haunting and eerie, though from Diablo I the creepiest of all was the Tristram theme. Diablo II had a "warped" (and slightly creepier) version of the Tristram theme, and the Harem theme was also more than a little creepy. It looks like Diablo III is going to continue with this trend of awesome music.

6) Starcraft also has some pretty good music, though it's not as memorable to me as the others. My favorite was one of the Terran BGMs.

7) Various Super Robot Wars games. The original BGMs for the characters are pretty awesome. ZEST SEVEN is my favorite. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiH-Q0Pd2tU) The Gate of Magus is also pretty awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1qFiS9cTU&feature=related)

Tekar
2008-08-25, 04:34 AM
Planescape: Torment (http://www.bootstrike.com/Torment/music.html) (as I said in the 'best game' thread)

If you only want to hear one then hear Deionarra Theme. First time I heard that in the game it was wonderfull. The atmosphere in that game was just so perfect.

St.Sinner
2008-08-26, 08:48 AM
^ Agreed, PS:T has awesome music. Aside from Deionarra's theme, my picks would be the main title, Nameless One's theme, and credits. Icewind Dales I and II both have beautiful music, as does Final Fantasy X. And as factotum mentioned earlier, the town theme from Diablo is great. Sets the mood perfectly.

Cespenar
2008-08-26, 04:27 PM
I totally agree about PS:T, though I also just remembered a completely irrelevant one too.

Does anyone else remember the main menu song of Megaman III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw42YannfdI&feature=related)?

Edit: Added a link to it being played by guitar.

Geno9999
2008-08-26, 07:04 PM
How can anyone forget Mute City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1brLxtr2_I)? Though I've never played F-zero, that is one of my favorite in Smash Bros.

zeratul
2008-08-26, 07:10 PM
I'd say Warcrafts 2-3, and the final fantasy series FF7, and FF10 in particular.

Cainen
2008-08-26, 09:38 PM
Forgot to mention Divine Divinity (http://www.kirillpokrovsky.com/), where the composer is awesome and also awesome enough to distribute the game's soundtrack for free(right sidebar).

Krade
2008-08-26, 10:13 PM
Blaster Master, especially the 4th area.

Otherwise
Hacked Super Mario World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIRCzbBB99E)

Sh-sh-sh-sh-shhh... Do you hear that snapping sound? That is my mind breaking in two.

Shai'Hulud
2008-08-27, 06:33 PM
Total Annihilation. Generally considered to be one of Jeremy Soule's greatest works.

Total Annihilation ftw. 11 years since it was made and it is still has one of the best soundtracks in the history of computer games, along with what is debatably still the best RTS gameplay.

Linkavitch
2008-08-28, 05:41 PM
Super Mario 3 all the WAY!!! Doo, doo, doo, doo dododododododo. . .

Calamity
2008-08-28, 06:42 PM
Final Fantasy VIII. Seriously. I could name about 25 brilliant tracks from that if I put my mind to it.

Metal Gear Solid Series. And by this I mean every single game. The soundtrack is consistantly brilliant.
'Encounter' (The alert theme from MSG1) will always be a classic.

Salty
2008-08-28, 06:46 PM
Personally, I think that Zelda music is great, but I usually enjoy video game music.

Kimusabe
2008-08-29, 02:39 AM
One of the Games with the most fitting music (for the game) and probably one of the most addictive music tracks for a game is Final Fantasy 10. I haven't played it much, but I've watched my brother playing it, and the music was really fitting in EVERY scene I saw.

I also loved the music in Final Fantasy 7. I had Aeirith's theme stuck in my head for like three months after I finished it, and then my Friend learned to play it on guitar, and it was awesome.

St.Sinner
2008-08-29, 04:42 PM
I played Final Fantasy X in my sister's house and she had one of those new-fangled, overpriced surround sound systems. The music sounded just lovely. Especially the theme on Mt. Gagazet, that has to be one of my favourites.

The Duskblade
2008-08-29, 08:50 PM
I gotta Go with The World Ends With You. Quite possibly the only handheld game with music capable of beating out the majority of console games. (As long as you have speakers/Earphones.)

Albub
2008-08-29, 10:43 PM
My vote goes first to Kirby Superstar, and second to Braid.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-30, 12:06 AM
Cannot believe that no one mentioned the music of Morrowind... that stuff won awards and stuff =D Great adventure and attack music; especially at the end when fighting (that guy).

Geno9999
2008-08-30, 09:02 AM
Oh man, I love this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTSr_2AyQ2Q&feature=related). :smallbiggrin: Best song from one of the best 3D Sonic games. Also, This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYczp9Sxg3M&feature=related) is good too. (Yep, I'm a Nintendo traitor, SONIC FOREVER!)

Fawkes
2008-10-06, 04:19 PM
Chrono Trigger.

Drascin
2008-10-06, 04:44 PM
Most of the "big games" I'd mention have already been said - FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Beyond Good and Evil...

However, on smaller games, I keep saying that Project Touhou, for the most part, has a surprisingly good soundtrack for being made by a single guy with a computer and a synthetizer.

Same for Cave-Story - who could have thought 8-bit music could sound so good?

Zaphrasz
2008-10-06, 04:49 PM
While the game, for the most part, has really bad music, I love the theme to Shadowman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FFDwFqSeA). I don't know why; it doesn't seem that extraordinary, but I love it. I guess it just really fit the game.

potatocubed
2008-10-06, 04:56 PM
The World Ends With You - Someday is a personal favourite
Parasite Eve - especially the boss fight music at the end
Vampire: Bloodlines - turned me on to the band Darling Violetta, who do the song A Smaller God
Guilty Gear XX - my favourite is Dizzy's theme, which I think is called Awe of She? I also like Robo-Ky's music.
Streets of Rage 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL5ICMImZKg&feature=related) - anyone else remember this one? This was the first video game that ever had me hanging around the sound test screen, listening to the music.

Forderz
2008-10-06, 05:02 PM
Someone previously named Donkey Kong Country 2, and I'm going to go with that. David Wise is a genius.

Faceist
2008-10-10, 09:26 AM
FF7, though that could be because of the nostalgia element. Morrowind's definitely got some crazy-awesome music, though. And for sheer infectious hummability, you can't rival Monkey (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WjvD3C_nvBk)Island (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dKWT5wW4gdY).

Joran
2008-10-10, 10:53 AM
According to this guy (http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/10/opinion_grand_pianola_game_mus.php): Civilization 4.

However, the article went over my head, especially since I didn't know the music in question. I did like Baba Yetu and Coronation from the opening cinematic and menu screen.

afroakuma
2008-10-10, 11:08 AM
Brawl, as has been mentioned, for doing marvelous arrangements of a kiloton of classic Nintendo tracks, as well as for Final Destination.

Final Fantasy I-IX, and I need to give no reason.

Final Fantasy XII was similarly full of pure win. Fight to the Death is incredible.

The first two DKC games were both great. Earthworm Jim II had a catchy tune or two as well.

Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu III, Chrono Trigger... heck, most any Square RPG from that era.

Megaman X series, so many catchy tunes, and oftentimes it just rocks. I have non-gamers telling me this.

The win goes to the 8-bit Megamans (and their little brother, MM9) because I have not met ANYONE who doesn't get hooked on those tracks. There are so few that aren't memorable or catchy, and the best of them will get stuck in your head for days.

potatocubed
2008-10-10, 04:16 PM
Morrowind's definitely got some crazy-awesome music, though.

See, the problem I have with Morrowind music is that while I was playing it my flatmate replaced the playlist with music from his collection. Fights were mostly accompanied by "LINK! HE COME TO TOWN! HE COME TO SAAAAAAAAVE THE PRINCESS ZELDA!!" which... may influence my opinion a bit.

:smalltongue:

EDIT: Link link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnz0thkoTQ)

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-10, 04:41 PM
I agree with Final Fantasy (all), Zelda (all), Actraiser, Total Annihilation, Starcraft, Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross, Mega Man/Mega Man X (all), F-Zero & F-Zero X (but NOT F-Zero GX), Katamari Damacy, Star Fox, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Super Metroid, CastleVania (especially Symphony of the Night), most Marios, and I probably forgot a few after that hacked Super Mario World blew my mind.

I would like to add: Lunar & Lunar 2 (magnificent soundtracks!!), Pokemon, TMNT (any), Persona 3, Dragon Quest (all), Brave Fencer Musashi, Street Fighter 2, Killer Instinct, and Mario Kart 64.

Also, (dis)honorable mention goes to Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, because the music was rockin' and the only good part of a pretty bad game. :smallwink:

Talya
2008-10-10, 04:43 PM
The Curse of Monkey Island!

afroakuma
2008-10-10, 04:49 PM
MQ's music was indeed far far better than the game itself. Doom Tower and the last boss music were both incredible, and the regular boss music was catchy, too.

Theodoric
2008-10-10, 04:51 PM
Company of Heroes. The menu music brings tears to my eyes. The expansion, however, adds some extra tracks to the music played, which are of a lesser quality, unfortunatly.

pendell
2008-10-10, 04:58 PM
Since I like music, I vote for Cobolt60's tracks for Wing Commander Prophecy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjPp8nuAFuw).

The game with mediocre orchestra tracks and ROCKIN' heavy metal tracks.

Gotta give it up for the first Dark Reign also. Very ominous, driving beat. Very immersive. Game loses 60% of its appeal when the music isn't on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Copper8642
2008-10-10, 06:58 PM
The World Ends With You has incredible music, and I don't even listen to that sort of music often (I can't really think of the genre).

On a unrelated not, I sort of want to make an RP on that game.

NeoVid
2008-10-10, 07:17 PM
I'll say Guilty Gear XX Slash, as it had the largest number of themes out of all the games. I think that all Accent Core added was Keep the Flag Flying, while it lost Kliff and Justice's music.

Guilty Gear XX - my favourite is Dizzy's theme, which I think is called Awe of She? I also like Robo-Ky's music.

Awe Of She is the right name. Holy Orders? is weirdly good. My favorites are Sucka Sage, Kage Matsuri and... let's see... Blue Water Blue Sky. Though Simple Life and Good Manners and Customs come close.

Though you have to expect good music from a game series that's based around music references. Hell, the main character is named Mr. Badguy...

xyzzy
2008-10-10, 07:31 PM
By far, the best music is in Final Fantasy VI, especially the themes of Terra, Edgar, and Kefka. Also notable in the FF series is VII's One-Winged Angel; while FF7 is on the whole fairly lackluster (though I must admit I absolutely love the OCRemix compilation), that onesong never fails to have a certain level of epic that just can't be beat.

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the few games I play just for the music (after five minutes, the gimmick wore off and I fired up Super Mario 64:smallamused:), especially the boss battle music. I should really go find a soundtrack for this.

While it's often ridiculed by critics, the music of Tales of Symphonia is unendingly awesome; I'll admit that this was mostly because the characters were easy to connect to and I associated their themes with their way of thinking heavily.

Artemician
2008-10-10, 10:13 PM
Most of the "big games" I'd mention have already been said - FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Beyond Good and Evil...

However, on smaller games, I keep saying that Project Touhou, for the most part, has a surprisingly good soundtrack for being made by a single guy with a computer and a synthetizer.

Same for Cave-Story - who could have thought 8-bit music could sound so good?

Yes. Indeed.

By the by, have you checked out the music for Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (Touhou 10.5)? It's the one where everything, including the music, is flamenco-styled. It's pretty cool.

Drascin
2008-10-11, 09:43 AM
Yes. Indeed.

By the by, have you checked out the music for Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (Touhou 10.5)? It's the one where everything, including the music, is flamenco-styled. It's pretty cool.

*looks at his current playlist and notices five SWR tracks in the first fifteen songs*

I might have looked at it a bit, yeah :smallbiggrin:. The special version of the credits' theme that comes with the OST is gorgeous, particularly (that's some wicked cello work, if you ask me), but I also love the game's arrangements of Casket of Star, Septette for the Dead Queen (obviously :smallbiggrin:), Invisible Full Moon, and Locked Girl, to mention only the ones that'll start sounding soon in my mp3.

Atomsized
2008-10-11, 10:07 AM
The most memorable ones that i've heard were from Golden Sun games and Riviera the Promised Land.

Zaphrasz
2008-10-11, 10:47 AM
I always liked the Metroid series and its music. Not exactly stuff you would listen to while not playing the game, but it just fits so well and sets the atmosphere perfectly. Whether it is the complete solitude you feel in Metroid II, the creepy ambiance of Super Metroid, or the bizarre techno/chorus music in the Prime series, you just get sucked into it.

The Rundas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMFLquJeCc) battle music from Prime 3, as an example, is fairly epic, and it somehow manages to convey the sadness of the situation, of Samus battling someone she once trusted, who has been twisted and warped beyond recognition.

Then there is Zelda, the series which I am an admitted fanboy of. The series always had pretty high quality music, but I think it hit its peak at Majora's Mask. Last End (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e82p4PLKAv4) is so melancholy, so depressing, and if there were only six hours until Armageddon, I can't think of a track that would be more fitting. The Clock Tower (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv4eD26pyfU) theme also fits that sort of sadness, and has a kind of fairy tale, "through the looking glass" feel to it. Calling the Four Giants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SGUbLn_Uhw) has a feel of hope to it, that something can and will be done about the catastrophe. It all just fit so perfectly, and I just can't seem to find games this atmospheric anymore.

Egiam
2008-10-11, 11:20 AM
The Hobbit,
Super Smash Bro's Brawl
obviously guitar hero

But the absolute best is:
SUPER PAPER MARIO!

SilentNight
2008-10-11, 12:04 PM
Going to throw in my support for FFX and Morrowind, I loved them both. I'd also like to mention the original Mercenaries game. Its music perfectly fit the war-torn landscape of North-Korea.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-11, 02:28 PM
Coincidentally, I was just listening to the Streets of Rage 1 soundtrack here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m8mnn_Ni5s . I also like a lot of the music from Sonic Adventure 1 (to be fair, some of the songs, shich as Tails and Amy's themes, are really bad, but I love It Doesn't Matter and Open Your Heart).

Geno9999
2008-10-11, 07:07 PM
I also like a lot of the music from Sonic Adventure 1 (to be fair, some of the songs, shich as Tails and Amy's themes, are really bad, but I love It Doesn't Matter and Open Your Heart).
I find that Sonic Adventure 2 had the better Doesn't Matter. Live and Learn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zZus_1_ag) FTW.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-12, 01:55 AM
Myst had some really atmospheric tracks, I espceially liked the one at the telescope, though I am not sure why.
Monkey Island 2 and 3. Defiantly the best of the series, though me and my sister cheer every time we start playing the first game when Michael Lands name is mentioned in the credits.
My favorite would have to be. . .
Grim Fandango. If your into a mexicana/film noir-ish feeling, this is the groove. I would load saved games, just for the songs the played in the background.

A Rainy Knight
2008-10-15, 04:06 PM
Super Mario Galaxy and The World Ends With You both have great music, and I just so happen to have both of them on my Ipod. Galaxy showcases some excellent orchestral stuff, and TWEWY's soundtrack fits the game perfectly.

late for dinner
2008-10-16, 10:47 AM
I thought that the entire game of portal was fun, but the song at the end made it all worth playing over again. It's also a free download on rock band. Halo 2 had a great sound to it and...well actualy the whole halo series had great music and it all was evolving with the story. The first halo was really adventurous sounding. The second halo music, when they added more electric guitar had this "I am the master chief. I am the coolest thing since the fully automatic machine gun. I will kill all of you who oppose me" feel to it and Halo 3 added more of a "This is the master chief. He is our saviour. the only hope for humanity" feel when they accented the piano, strings, and horns. So the Halo series gets my vote just because of the evolution of the story in just the music itself.

Runners up: GTA4, Golden Axe

Tekar
2008-10-16, 04:42 PM
I love this thread, because of it I downloaded all the Planescape: Torment music and put it on my mp3 player. I love listening to it, it's great as background music as well and always takes me back to wonderful memories of the game.

Egiam
2008-10-19, 08:30 PM
Portal has great credit music:smallsmile:

DomaDoma
2008-10-22, 04:52 PM
FFVI is better in the non-midi versions found on various soundtrack cds.

Except, for some reason, Terra's Theme - those overwrought orchestrations just can't capture the spirit of the sharp digitized flute and the well-placed virtual timpanis. Though the one they called Wanderer of Time could have fit the bill if not for the singer who was under the impression that it was just harmony for her song.

Hawriel
2008-10-22, 10:19 PM
Damn I cant believe I'm the only person other than Dhavear to list Mass Effect. That was some great sci fi epic music.

I agree with Winterwind for Mechwarrior 2. That was a great game. My favorite mech game ever. The music on the moon missions bothered me alot. In the it kinda disturbed me sorta way. Good times.

Like some other I loved the Halo music. For the same reasons I love Mass Effect.

I throw in Star Wars flight sims. X-Wing and Rogue squadren series. Cant dog fight in space with out the star wars music.

Dancing_Zephyr
2008-10-23, 01:02 PM
Armored Core (I'm a sucker for giant robots)
Zelda
Final Fantasy

Bouregard
2008-10-24, 05:00 PM
Mafia - City of lost heaven

the upcoming WoW Addon is also pretty decent.

Warren Dew
2008-10-24, 08:36 PM
One of my favourite game tracks of all time is "Tristram" from Diablo 2 (and also the town music from Diablo 1).

I liked that one too.

My favorite was the Heine music from Lineage, though.