PDA

View Full Version : Computer stolen in the playground.

Volug
2008-08-16, 09:29 PM
No, not stolen by some burgler, though it might as well be... :smallannoyed:

I'm posting from my crappy Windows 98 computer in my room right now, since our familys good one that I was using to play on my Game Emulators (I just got on, and I downloaded the games Legaly, I download games I own already). My mom says she needs to check her email really quick so I let her on, and she says it'll take 15 minutes.

Well, an hour passes, I come to check to see if I can have it back and she's watching some soccer juggle video on youtube. I told her that I'd like to get on since she, well, got the computer since I let her when I was using it. And she says 10 more minutes.

She got off finally, and my sister steals it saying she'll just check her email and it will take a minute.

Well, half hour later she refuses to get off, and another half hour later (now) she finally gets off. And my mom tells me to go to bed...

:smallannoyed:

last time I let them on during my computer time (on that one) for a looooong time.

EDIT: Forgot to say, post your experiances here. I'm not looking for sympathy.

Edan
2008-08-16, 09:40 PM
Oddly enough, I tended to be the one that did the stealing in my family. My 15 minutes for email could turn into a marathon 14 hours gaming session. Man, I am such a hypocrite because when it got taken away from me, for only 15 minutes, I would get so angry.

cheers

TheBoneSplitter
2008-08-16, 09:42 PM
Man, here I thought we were being literal and computers were actually being taken from homes... what a let down.

I've had computers of my own since I was 14-15, it was just a means of replacing them with newer ones when the oldies faltered. Before then I don't think I was too bad...

Atomsized
2008-08-16, 09:47 PM
A few years ago before my older brother graduated from college our family had a computer which was fairly old, and pretty slow. It would take several minutes to download something or get a page to load on occasions. Also, we still had the evil of all connections, dial-up. The most "memorable" thing i can remember from back then is when we're in the middle of downloading something, or RIGHT just when a page loads and we start playing flash games or reading some article, my parents would shout up the stairs saying that they needed to use the phone.

:smallsigh:

I'm so happy i live in today.

Icewalker
2008-08-16, 09:49 PM
My brother and I always had to fight over our computer, but he's been in college for a few years, so not anymore.

TRM
2008-08-16, 09:50 PM
Amen brother!

I don't have my own computer, so I have to share 2 family macs with my 4 siblings and mother... and my mother has priority. My family (see: brothers) has a terrible habit of taking the laptop into my room, because I have the best desk for gaming, and then leave it for the rest of the afternoon; eventually, I'll return to find my mother sitting at my desk checking her email, or my older brother surfing the net covered in disgusting sweat since he just got back from a workout and hasn't showered yet.
I'm not a complete freak about having people in my room, but it's frustrating to have my room occupied for the entire day without my permission. :smallannoyed:

Well, an hour passes, I come to check to see if I can have it back and she's watching some soccer juggle video on youtube. I told her that I'd like to get on since she, well, got the computer since I let her when I was using it. And she says 10 more minutes.

Yes. My mother is terrible about this too. "I just have to write this one email."

...45 minutes later.

"Oh yeah, here you go."
:smallfurious:

Pocketa
2008-08-16, 09:57 PM
Not really had these sorts of arguments at home. My sister and I each have laptops, as does my mom, and my mom and my sister and my grandpa have 1 desktop tower setup each, and my grandma has 2, and I have 3 desktop setups, but they're all just backups for other people.

We have 1 tv, but it's a good tv, pretty big, relatively new, and my sister has a tv, but it's small and it's just for her Gamecube (she uses it more, so it's all hers right now) and she uses that.

My family is rich now, but used to be middle class, and before that, used to be poor. Not in my lifetime, but my grandma didn't grow up with wealth, but she saved alot, and still does.

SDF
2008-08-17, 06:24 AM
Well when I visit my parents I never count on using the computer because my brother likes to play his MMO, my mom likes to spend long periods of time emailing, and my dad has to check drudge report, various other new sites, stocks, and play my brothers MMO... But I have my own gaming laptop at my apartment so I never have to worry. Of course I don't have time to use it for gaming... mostly school stuff, music too.

Ranna
2008-08-17, 10:17 AM
My parents used to do that to me, till I stomped my little feet so hard and then had to go out and buy my own! (my tantrum was completely ignored by them).

Now NO-ONE uses my computer and I am very very protective of it!!! But then again I have sinced moved out into my own place and we have a designated games room with all our PCs and consoles etc etc... is that a little sad?

Fostire
2008-08-17, 11:15 AM
At home we are 6 brothers and 1 computer so there where fist fights involved.

Xyk
2008-08-17, 11:18 PM
That happened to me all the time...until I got a laptop. Now it is sooo much better. Do that.

Phae Nymna
2008-08-18, 01:12 AM
I've been operating on a number of machine this summer. Unfortunately, none of them belong to me. My main base has been the family desktop, which I have restructured, nearly destroyed, and revived several times since May. A new, unwritten rule in my family is to not enter the office room so long as Jude's music is on, under penalty of shouting over the music and random labor. My second option is a 2005 widescreen media laptop that gets hotter than the sun and weighs as much too. The dawn is coming however, as in about a week, I will be using a school provided Lenovo Tablet laptop. :smallamused: Oh yes.

TigerHunter
2008-08-18, 01:21 AM
Oddly enough, I tended to be the one that did the stealing in my family. My 15 minutes for email could turn into a marathon 14 hours gaming session. Man, I am such a hypocrite because when it got taken away from me, for only 15 minutes, I would get so angry.

cheers
Perfect description of what Iwas like when we only had one computer.

In my defense, I was playing with other people who I couldn't just ask to wait for 15 minutes, while that YouTube video of Miley Cyrus would still be there for my sister to fawn over when I was done...

Bayar
2008-08-18, 08:29 AM
*snip*

If this was the gaming thread, and they were your party members, I'd have suggested a dagger in the darkness. But that is not the case.

It is a good thing that only my dad knows how to (marginally) use the computer. He only uses it for solitaire and to search for fishing gear and stuff on the net. So...when he is on a hunt, it take 2-3 hours. Good thing I got a Symbian phone now and I can enter the forums via it. :biggrin:

The Demented One
2008-08-18, 08:33 AM
My mother is clearly a Time Lord, as she can stretch five minutes into a span of several hours. Thank god for the laptop...

truemane
2008-08-18, 09:07 AM
We completely solved ay computer-related issues in my household by placing a strangle-hold on my childrens' access to the computer. Neither of them are allowed on it unless they ask first, and we keep careful watch on what they do and how they do it. My wife asks them what they're up to and I make sure their browsing is recorded.

In fact, my wife and are SO annoying about it that neither of them use it much as a result. They would rather do something that requires fewer parental controls, like going outside or playing board games.

Which suits me all the way to the ground. I loves mah computer, but it's an addition to my life, not a replacement, and thus it will be for both my children so long as they are under my direct supervision.

Dave Rapp
2008-08-18, 11:22 AM
we keep careful watch on what they do and how they do it. My wife asks them what they're up to and I make sure their browsing is recorded.

What on earth are you afraid of them doing on teh interwebs anyway? :smallconfused:

For a couple years now I've had my own computer which I control and only I can access. So woo for that.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-18, 11:56 AM
Dude, story of my childhood. :smallsigh:

valadil
2008-08-18, 12:17 PM
You kids have it easy these days. Back in my day (aside from walking to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways...) we only had one computer for the family and it connected to the net with a lousy 56k connection. And we only had one phoneline. This meant I couldn't be online if my parents were even waiting for a potential phone call, nevermind talking on the phone.

The Orange Zergling
2008-08-18, 01:21 PM
After I learned how to operate the basic (and most important) functions of a computer like opening StarCraft and Lemmings when I was about 5-6 my brother got a computer of his own and I received his old one, so basically nothing took place. Good thing too, looking back I probably dodged a lot of fights over it.

Currently I count 6 computers in our house; mine, my old one, a spare, my mother's, my dad's, and my dad's work computer.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-18, 09:56 PM
1 computer. Myself, who is apperntly "Attached to the computer". My dad, who always want's to use the computer, even when he has his own. My brother, who also has one (albiet a lower quality one) and still wants the computer almost every waking minute he's home :smallsigh:.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-18, 10:01 PM
Nope, we're all such terrible geeks that we all have our fine computers.

RTGoodman
2008-08-18, 10:45 PM
RIGHT just when a page loads and we start playing flash games or reading some article, my parents would shout up the stairs saying that they needed to use the phone.

:smallsigh:

I'm so happy i live in today.

I second that, brother. My family didn't even get rid of dial-up AOL (:smalleek:) until like last summer. And I used to have to share with several people (including quite a few that were really computer-illiterate), which was pretty bad in Ye Olde DaysTM when chatting on AIM was the only way to be cool.

We've had computers for a while (since I was about 12, I guess), though, so we've been building up a steady supply so there's not a big rush. By now we've got four desktops (my old one with Windows 98 no one really uses, two decent ones with XP, and one pretty good one with Vista) and three laptops (my crappy one that's been falling apart, two newish HPs with Vista that my brother and cousin own, and my brand-new HP with Vista that I JUST got about 10 hours ago).

Zanthur
2008-08-18, 11:17 PM
I have 3 computers of my own (1 in my room and 2 in my computer room), my mom and step-dad both have their own computers upstairs (my room is in the basement) and my sister has a laptop. So I pretty much dont have to worry about the computer issue. When I did have to worry about an issue, it was the internet before we had cable. When we had dial-up, we had to share and it wasnt pleasant. But thats all over and I've got enough pieces to build several more, so if someone tries to invade my computers, I'll just make a new one.