PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Scholar Question

Doresain
2008-08-17, 02:43 AM
now the first level ability the tainted scholar gets causes every evil spell he casts to bump his taint score by 1 (and since that same ability also turns all his spells into evil spells it gets high pretty fast) anyways, i was wondering whether that acquired taint went to both corruption and depravity, or you get to choose which one it goes to

speaking of taint, something ive always being a little curious about...is it possible for a creature to have a taint score so high that others around him begin to acquire taint simply by being in his presence?

arguskos
2008-08-17, 02:53 AM
It specifies depravity.

On an unrelated note, would an undead Tainted Scholar ever stop accumulating taint? If not, would his save DC's become unreasonably high (since DC=10+spell level+1/2 corruption)? It specifies that undead are immune to any negative effects from taint, and thus can have massive amounts of it and not worry about death...

Lich Wizard/Tainted Scholar ftw?

-argus

Eldritch_Ent
2008-08-17, 02:56 AM
Lich is too much LA to be worth it- go Necropolitan instead. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2008-08-17, 02:57 AM
Nono, for a bad guy, not a PC. Though, a Necropolitan Wizard/T.Scholar PC in a VERY evil party would be awesome....

I need to play an evil game now. :smallbiggrin:

-argus

Doresain
2008-08-17, 02:57 AM
oh believe me, ive considered the great amount of headaches my DM would accumulate over the weeks of playing against that monstrosity...why wait for lich? turn into a necropolitan and have the benefits of infinite taint score by 6th level

ninja'd

namo
2008-08-17, 09:07 AM
Undead type+Tainted Spellcasting is a known Campaign Smasher (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=897351). Don't do it. :redcloak:

Doresain
2008-08-17, 03:06 PM
might be a campaign smasher in regards to a PC playing it, but makes the perfect uber-villain

The_Snark
2008-08-17, 03:34 PM
You have to pick your spells very carefully if you want to do that, though, unless you want to kill all your players. Pick some not-too-crippling spells, like Unluck, Touch of Years, and other spells, and bring along a few minions that wouldn't ordinarily be that threatening, and have fun inflicting obscure irritations on your PCs. Stay well away from anything that kills, blinds, stuns, or otherwise removes PCs from combat completely on a failed save.

You also have to studiously ignore this little clause: "They [creatures with the Evil subtype and undead] automatically have effective corruption and depravity scores equal to 1/2 their Charisma, +1 for undead and +2 for outsiders." It's pretty easy to interpret that as having a fixed effective taint score.

shadow_archmagi
2008-08-17, 03:37 PM
You have to pick your spells very carefully if you want to do that, though, unless you want to kill all your players. Pick some not-too-crippling spells, like Unluck, Touch of Years, and other spells, and bring along a few minions that wouldn't ordinarily be that threatening, and have fun inflicting obscure irritations on your PCs. Stay well away from anything that kills, blinds, stuns, or otherwise removes PCs from combat completely on a failed save.

You also have to studiously ignore this little clause: "They [creatures with the Evil subtype and undead] automatically have effective corruption and depravity scores equal to 1/2 their Charisma, +1 for undead and +2 for outsiders." It's pretty easy to interpret that as having a fixed effective taint score.

MUahahahahha! I have limitless power, which is why I will completely refrain from using this death ray and instead use my power to summon a gigantic MAZE and turn you into hamsters for it! MUahahahhaahha! As a side note, this is my evil plan and how to stop me!

Doresain
2008-08-18, 02:17 AM
if im not mistaken, undead and evil outsiders start with that score, but they like any creature can get it higher by other means than gaining HD...im not sure, seeing as how i dont own the book...

unfortunately, if i made this villain in a game i was running i would kill the party ASAP...i tend to play NPCs to their full extent whenever i can...

i made a fiendish half-orc necromancer NPC that nearly wiped out the party, and this was for the game my buddy was running (that i was a player in)...i remember telling him how he should run the baddie and gave him a round-by-round tactics list for the first few rounds...it was great, and the party actually congratulated me for giving them a challenge

arguskos
2008-08-18, 02:26 AM
if im not mistaken, undead and evil outsiders start with that score, but they like any creature can get it higher by other means than gaining HD...im not sure, seeing as how i dont own the book...
That's correct. It never says they cannot in fact increase their taint scores, merely that they start with a higher score than 0 (like everyone else).

-argus