PDA

View Full Version : Creating a new RP system [Part 8: System Details]

drawingfreak
2008-08-17, 10:33 AM
Basics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4642412&postcount=2)
Vote Information (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4642208&postcount=18)
--------------
Being the self made head director, I have made a few changes and arrangements where needed.

The combat mechanics have been tinkered with. The player's Awesome Points has been changed to his Awesome Pool. This pool represents the amount of d6s you can spend to use Abilities. Ex:
If you want to use the Pirate Ability "Cutlass Cuts More", you roll your base Brawn and then whatever modifier, in this case one extra dice. If the character has 4 Brawn, then he rolls 5d6. He subtracts 5 from his Awesome Pool score and enacts the Ability.

When the pool reaches 0, you are dead. If you spend the last die enacting a power, you use the ability so well that it does three times as much damage and you die a hero.

4s, 5s, and 6s are need to count that die as a success. If you roll a 6, you can roll that die again without spending an AP. 1s are critical failures and count as a negative success. Ex:
I roll 5d6 and gain the numbers 3, 5, 1, 4, 6. I reroll the 6 and get a 3. The 1 takes away a success. The total successes are 2.

--------------
Races
Human
Monkey
Dinosaur
Emo (propose that this be a race of underground people who are too pale to live on the surface...NOT DROW)
Each race has its own Speed score in meters (how much you can move in one round). Also, each race is offered free use of one non-combat ability (ala skills). Each race also has Racial Abilities you can buy.

Race Name
Speed: # meters
Free Non-Path Ability
Abilities

Racial Ability #1 (2 levels)
Ability #1 modifier #1
Racial Ability #2 (2 levels)
Ability #2 modifier #1
Racial Ability #3 (3 levels)
Ability #3 modifier #1
Ability #3 modifier #2

Templates
Robot (only taken at creation...this makes them akin to a Race but also allows for neat combinations like Dinosaur Robot)
Werewolf
Zombie
Vampire (possible bonus if from the Emo race)
If you think the template needs to add or subtract from the Race's Speed, do so. The first Ability should be an automatic purchase with the Template.

Template Name
Speed modifier: -/+# meters
Abilities

Template Ability #1
Ability #1 modifier #1
Ability #1 modifier #2
Template Ability #2
Ability #2 modifier #1
Ability #2 modifier #2

Attributes
Brawn- used for things that require the use body (max. 6)
Brain- used for things requiring mind power (max. 6)
Reaction- used to counter an Ability targeting you (max. 4)

Paths
Pirate [Claimed by drawingfreak]
Cowboy
Ninja
Other suggestions needed...
I want to incorporate separate Awesome Pool ladders per Path. See what you can do with the Path you claim.
Each Path offers a +1 die bonus to a specific Attribute.
Each Path will have 6 base Abilities with up to 4 modifier Abilities for each. (thats 30 total)

Path Name
Starting AP: #
AP per 50 xp: #
Abilities

Path Ability #1 (5 levels)
Ability #1 modifier #1
Ability #1 modifier #2
Ability #1 modifier #3
Ability #1 modifier #4
Path Ability #2 (5 levels)
Ability #2 modifier #1
Ability #2 modifier #2
Ability #2 modifier #3
Ability #2 modifier #4
Path Ability #3 (5 levels)
Ability #3 modifier #1
Ability #3 modifier #2
Ability #3 modifier #3
Ability #3 modifier #4
Path Ability #4 (5 levels)
Ability #4 modifier #1
Ability #4 modifier #2
Ability #4 modifier #3
Ability #4 modifier #4
Path Ability #5 (5 levels)
Ability #5 modifier #1
Ability #5 modifier #2
Ability #5 modifier #3
Ability #5 modifier #4
Path Ability #6 (5 levels)
Ability #6 modifier #1
Ability #6 modifier #2
Ability #6 modifier #3
Ability #6 modifier #4

Abilities
As we go, we will determine the exact numbers. Basically, Ability #1 will only add 1 die or 2 modifier. Ability #6 will be significantly higher, possibly double digit.
Ability modifier #2 in the Path Abilities includes a minor secondary effect.
Ability modifier #3 in the Path Abilities also adds to the secondary effect.
Ability modifier #4 in the Path Abiltiies includes a minor tertiary effect.
Ability Level 1 will be the basic Ability.
Ability Level 2 will be the basic Ability with a minor modifier to the roll.
Ability Level 3 will be the basic Ability with another minor modifier to the roll and a secondary effect for the Path Abilities.
Ability Level 4 will be the basic Ability with another minor modifier to the roll and a modifier to the secondary effect for the Path Abilities.
Ability Level 5 will be the basic Ability with another minor modifier to the roll and another modifier to the secondary effect as well as a tertiary effect to Path Abilities.
Ability Name
(Brawn or Brain)+(# die or # roll modifier)
Effect: Level 1- #d6 (damage or temporary stat boost)
Level 2- #d6 (damage or temporary stat boost) + # modifier to roll
Level 3- #d6 (damage or temporary stat boost) + # modifier to roll, and secondary effect
Level 4- #d6 (damage or temporary stat boost) + # modifier to roll, and secondary effect + # modifier to secondary effect
Level 5- #d6 (damage or temporary stat boost) + # modifier to roll, and secondary effect + # modifier to secondary effect, and tertiary effect

Non-Path Abilities
Knowledge _____ (Brain)
Research (Brain)
Improvise (Brain or Brawn) [could be thinking on your feet or using a non-combat item as a weapon]
Act (Brain or Brawn) [depends on what you need to act out]
Need others...
These are the "skills" of the game. Mechanics could always use some fine tuning. Right now I have it where you have a number of them equal to twice your Brain score. Knowledge based "skills" will never need to be rolled (cause if you know it, you know it). The amount of stuff you know will be determined by your Brain score. If you have one point, your Knowledge in a certain field is limited to just over basic knowledge. If you have six, you know it all. We need to define those midway points.

Other "skills" will be rolled with the Attribute it is related to +1 dice. These will not come from the Awesome Pool. If the rest of you agree, you may add dice to a roll from your Awesome Pool if you think you need the extra boost. If the character doesn't have the "skill", it is a straight Attribute roll and he doesn't have the option to add dice from his AP.

Also, I would like another name for these. Non-Path Abilities is too much and I don't want to use Skills.
-----------------
Ok, Team. I need people to claim:
Each Race
Each Template
Each Path
Additional Paths
Non-Path Abilities

Don't worry too much about the crunch but fill in the numbers anyway. We will sort it out after.

drawingfreak
2008-08-17, 08:57 PM
It's been a good amount of time so I am going to go ahead and claim the Pirate Path. HAHA!

Also, will be making an edit to all Abilities in the top post. I'll make it obvious.

KingGolem
2008-08-18, 08:26 PM
I just want to let you know, I'm still on for this. However, I'm swamped with work right now, but hopefully I'll be able to work on something tomorrow.

drawingfreak
2008-08-23, 11:54 PM
It seems to me that things are going slow. Even for me.

I give you the first Path Ability for the Pirate Path.

Cutlass Cuts More Cost: # +1 per level above 1st
Base Effect: 1d6 damage

Brawn +1 die
Brawn +1 die +1 mod to roll
Brawn +1 die +2 mod to roll and +1 mod to damage
Brawn +1 die +3 mod to roll and +2 mod to damage
Brawn +1 die +4 mod to roll and +3 mod to damage and gain an extra action (usable once this turn)