PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A weapon-like thing for a Beguiler

2008-08-17, 02:05 PM
Hi all. I'm playing a Beguiler in a 3.5 game (which is sort of obvious, I suppose :smallredface: ) and my group has almost cleared a rather large dungeon filled with mundane and magical treasure. For instance, my fourth level Beguiler has already picked up (redundant) +1 armour, a +1 staff, and a ring of counterspells, and I'm not especially attached to any of these items yet. Even before the gold, that would be worth 3500gp if I sold it.

I'm enjoying playing as a Beguiler, but we run into a lot of monsters that resist Enchantments or Illusions (I expect every other Beguiler in the world could say the same) so I'm thinking about buying a weapon of some kind to allow me to contribute to battles on rounds I don't burn a spell on. I'm currently thinking about a wand of Magic Missile (my BAB, DEX, and STR are pathetic), but maybe someone here knows about something cooler. Hope to hear from someone soon!

Frosty
2008-08-17, 02:12 PM
If they are resistant, then buff your allies. Level 5 sucks for Beguilers, butr once you get to level 6, you get HASTE!!

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-17, 02:12 PM
If your UMD skill is good enough, that could be a good idea. What are your character's stats exactly? Arcane Deciple could be another (limited) option if you're willing to take the prequisites: http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Arcane_Disciple,CD . Another option would be to buff allies (this would use spell slots, though, and Beguillers aren;t really that suited to this roll).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-17, 02:28 PM
Beguiler shouldn't be wielding a weapon. Pick up a few good wands of buf spells, and a few you can UMD that don't rely on Caster Level(Summons, no-saves), and take spells that don't have saves for your Advanced Learnings.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-17, 02:36 PM
I don't remember what sort of proficiencies they have, but in terms of actual weapons, I'd say go for something with range or reach.

for weapon-like spells to wand, magic missle isn't a bad choice, probably the best choice of the 1st level spells. If you can squeeze in a 2nd level wand (Can never remember WBL off the top of my head.) Acid arrow, scorching ray and shatter are decent choices.

2008-08-17, 04:13 PM
for weapon-like spells to wand, magic missle isn't a bad choice, probably the best choice of the 1st level spells. If you can squeeze in a 2nd level wand (Can never remember WBL off the top of my head.) Acid arrow, scorching ray and shatter are decent choices.

A wand of Shatter is an interesting idea. I've been looking for a use for my Use Magic Device. I was thinking of Magic Missile because I've had terrible luck actually hitting things with my shortbow. My BAB of +2 and DEX of 12 may have been a factor there.

A wand of Shatter or Scorching Ray would cost 4500gp for 50 uses. Alternatively there's a wand of Magic Missile (750 for one missile or 2250 for two.) There's also the possibility of an Eternal Wand from the Magic Item Compendium, with each usable 2/day. (820gp for a level 1 spell, 4420gp for a level 2.) I'm not sure about the 2/day though. I think I could run out of clever ideas for my spells more often than that. Is there any way to get more uses out of an Eternal Wand?

Does anyone know of anything else interesting?

Hal
2008-08-17, 05:17 PM
People will tell you that you don't need weapons, but this isn't always the case. There are plenty of defensive enchantments that always help (Deflecting, for example).

This isn't a popular answer, but if your DM is set on sticking it to you with resistant monsters, taking Arcane Strike is a good use for your spellcasting. You have to burn a lot of spells to make it worthwhile, but if you're dungeon delving and not having a lot of social interaction, you'll probably be having excess spell slots anyhow.

Chronos
2008-08-17, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure about the 2/day though. I think I could run out of clever ideas for my spells more often than that. Is there any way to get more uses out of an Eternal Wand?Buy two of them?

Chronicled
2008-08-17, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know of anything else interesting?

A Runestaff from the MIC is a wonderful thing for a Beguiler.

Otherwise, you could ask your DM if taking Extra Spell lets you pick a spell not on the Beguiler list. Then get something that isn't like all the rest of your spells (and probably something that isn't a Save-or-Lose). Unfortunately, Beguilers in combat tend to either rock hardcore or suck hard depending exclusively on the DM--since if their spells work, the encounter is often effectively over.

Although once you have a 3rd level spells this shouldn't be quite as big an issue. Haste/Slow, wheeee!

Jack_Simth
2008-08-17, 07:58 PM
If your UMD skill is good enough, that could be a good idea. What are your character's stats exactly? Arcane Deciple could be another (limited) option if you're willing to take the prequisites: http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Arcane_Disciple,CD . Another option would be to buff allies (this would use spell slots, though, and Beguillers aren;t really that suited to this roll).
Combine Arcane Disciple with one of the offensive Reserve feats (from Complete Mage). Takes care of things rather nicely, actually. Get the Fire domain and Fiery burst - you now have an at-will (top-tier available spell level)d6 five-foot radius burst of supernatural fire (as long as you don't run out of top-tier spell slots) with a range of 30 feet.

Fun part: you don't need your wisdom score up high (although it helps, as with this route, that controls the reflex save DC) to make use of the reserve feat - just merely know the spell and have a spell slot of that level handy - and for a beguiler, you automatically know all spells on your spell list.

Hal
2008-08-17, 08:09 PM
Combine Arcane Disciple with one of the offensive Reserve feats (from Complete Mage). Takes care of things rather nicely, actually. Get the Fire domain and Fiery burst - you now have an at-will (top-tier available spell level)d6 five-foot radius burst of supernatural fire (as long as you don't run out of top-tier spell slots) with a range of 30 feet.

Fun part: you don't need your wisdom score up high (although it helps, as with this route, that controls the reflex save DC) to make use of the reserve feat - just merely know the spell and have a spell slot of that level handy - and for a beguiler, you automatically know all spells on your spell list.

Not a bad solution, but that's much longer term. Level 6 is the earliest you can take Arcane Disciple, so level 9 would be the reserve feat.

Again, not a bad solution, but certainly not something feasible in the near future.

hotel_papa
2008-08-17, 08:27 PM
A light crossbow. Simple weapon, crit range of a longsword, lets you be away from combat with your d6 hit die and light armor. Even better if the skill selection of Beguiler prompted you to have a decent dex. No, you're not going to hit every time, but a well-placed 2d8 crit can change the course of a battle at CR 5.

My two copper
HP

Jack_Simth
2008-08-17, 08:41 PM
Not a bad solution, but that's much longer term. Level 6 is the earliest you can take Arcane Disciple, so level 9 would be the reserve feat.

Again, not a bad solution, but certainly not something feasible in the near future.
Arcane Disciple only requires four ranks in two skills. Granted, Beguilers don't get Knoweledge(Religion), so the cross-class limit can't get you there until 5th, to take the feat at 6th. Hmm. Ah well.

A few others:
Convince your DM that Heighten Spell works for powering reserve feats for spontaneous casters (it doesn't, per RAW, I'm afraid), and take Invisible Needle at 6th (PHB II retraining rules get you Heighten Spell).

Take advantage of spell research and make a new spell that has the appropriate descriptor for powering the offensive reserve feat of your choice. Pricey time-consuming, but could work.

JackMage666
2008-08-17, 08:43 PM
I once played a Beguiler I appropriately named "Haste-bot". The DM kept putting us up against undead, or at most non-humanoid opponents. Since it was a low-level game, I couldn't charm 'em, or do much to them, so I just Hasted the party and sat down. Cause that's about all I was good for. Really, as awesome as the Beguiler is, in some games, he just plain sucks.

BRC
2008-08-17, 08:45 PM
Yeah, a beguiler seems like a real hit-or-miss type class. My next campaign has a beguiler in it, but it will mostly be against humanoids.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-18, 12:31 AM
Illusions work on undead! IIRC, they don't even get a SAVE! Beguiler's SHINE versus zombies! Read the spell rules sometimes. :smallfurious:

Chronos
2008-08-18, 01:19 AM
Illusions work on undead! IIRC, they don't even get a SAVE!Mindless creatures (zombies, skeletons, most constructs, and almost all vermin and oozes) automatically fail disbelief saves, but anything with a mind (vampires, ghouls, or inevitables, say) gets a save as normal, and undead have Will as a strong save. Still, illusions do cover for a large chunk of the things which are immune to enchantments.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-18, 01:23 AM
Illusions work on undead! IIRC, they don't even get a SAVE! Beguiler's SHINE versus zombies! Read the spell rules sometimes. :smallfurious:

to get technical, the no save only applies to mindless undead, but yeah. same idea.

---ninja'd---shucks