PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Olympics - nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea

WhiteMonkey
2008-08-17, 02:30 PM
London England, a mysterious land of mythical myths and mythicalness is going to play host to the world in the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Yes, England, with all of her rich history and legendary heros is preparing to throw the planet into simultaneous culture-shock as they present themselves with as much mind-boggling imagination as their population can muster!

And what icon shall this country emblazon upon their shields? What symbol shall wave from their mighty banners like a thing that waves on wavy flags as they wave in the wind? What mighty image of imagery did this nation, our greatest ally, conjure into existence with their Harry Potter magic and King Arthur might?

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5513673,00.jpg

I know this logo came out in June of last year, but I still can't wrap my head around what the heck they were thinking. It's absolutely horrid. £400,000? I'm still waiting for England to tell me that they were just kidding.

ZOIR!

It must be Gaelic.

Haruki-kun
2008-08-17, 02:32 PM
Awesome. Although every single time I get my hopes up that the next ones might be in Mexico and every single time I'm disappointed. :smalltongue:

Not since sixty-something....

EDIT: No, I don't really mind where it is. England's fine with me.

faerwain
2008-08-17, 02:34 PM
Yeah, well, incidentally I just saw Dr Who right this afternoon, journeying to 2012 to watch the Olympics. Let me just say, I will keep the hell away from this place....

Kaelaroth
2008-08-17, 02:37 PM
Hey, hey, I live here. I'm gonna see it every day. :smallfrown: Why, Pelor, WHY?!

Calamity
2008-08-17, 02:44 PM
Y'know, the logo's hated as much here as it is anywhere else. Just saying.

Dragor
2008-08-17, 02:49 PM
Y'know, the logo's hated as much here as it is anywhere else. Just saying.

Indeed. In fact, England expressed its disgust in many, many ways. It's awful and should be condemned as such.

Never let it be said the English public approved of it.

Haruki-kun
2008-08-17, 02:58 PM
I don't get it.... what's the problem with it?

Calamity
2008-08-17, 03:02 PM
I don't get it.... what's the problem with it?

It's just a bunch of random shapes. That's what's the problem is.

Dr. Bath
2008-08-17, 03:03 PM
....It says 2012. And abstractly represents a runner.

I think it's alright.

Calamity
2008-08-17, 03:04 PM
It doesn't get more abstract then that. You have to look closely to even see the 2012 part. And as for the runner part, I can't see it. Sorry but I can't.

Haruki-kun
2008-08-17, 03:05 PM
It's just a bunch of random shapes. That's what's the problem is.

As Bath says, it's the numbers 2, 0 , 1, and 2, in that order. It's OK.... You'd think the logo represents someone killing puppies for this kind of reaction...

EDIT: I don't see the runner, either, but one glance and I knew it said 2012. Besides, not everyone gets to do it on a year where the numbers are easy to play with, like 2000 or even 2008.

Calamity
2008-08-17, 03:06 PM
As Bath says, it's the numbers 2, 0 , 1, and 2, in that order. It's OK.... You'd think the logo represents someone killing puppies for this kind of reaction...

EDIT: I don't see the runner, either, but one glance and I knew it said 2012. Besides, not everyone gets to do it on a year where the numbers are easy to play with, like 2000 or even 2008.

Would you pay £400,000 for it?

Dr. Bath
2008-08-17, 03:07 PM
You've got to Beleive! In the power of friendship!

That's how to see it. But seriously, I quite like how they've intergrated all the parts of the logo unlike...say...all the other logos which kinda look like they've got all the important bits and squished them together.

bosssmiley
2008-08-17, 03:10 PM
I maintain that the entire epic fail of the British 2012 Olympic bid was an attempt to "My Lovely Horse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lovely_Horse)" our way out of hosting it.

Unfortunately the other countries bribed the judges more not to have to suffer thousands of gabbling foreigners and their inconsequential opinions descending upon their cities. Thus it was that Babylon-on-Thames (as lowest bidder in the latest round of the Olympic kickback wars) was lumbered with the next over-priced, self-congratulatory glorified sports day.

Britain did the modern Olympiad first (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenlock_Olympian_Society_Annual_Games); we don't need this copy-pasta'ed French version thanks. Barcelona did; London doesn't.

Hmm...I wonder if the host nation has ever boycotted the Olympics. Now wouldn't that be a sight worth seeing. :smallamused:

(Yes, Eggy hates the Olympics. Foreigners + sports day + waste of public money (£8bn and rising...) + BBC outside broadcasting boondoogle = perfect storm of contempt and hatred)

edit: Oh, and London 2012 logo. I've heard it described in a way I can now never mentally unsee:

the Lisa Simpson blow-job logo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/images/2007/06/04/2012_logo_white_385x450.jpg

And now you can't unsee it either... :smallyuk: :smallyuk: :smallyuk:

faerwain
2012 is clear but no runner...Actually, after much looking, I see a guy facing the audience, his left arm on his knee and his right arm raised, either headbanging or vomiting. (though my first impression was headbanging).

The Vorpal Tribble
Ewww... my brain finds shapes in anything whether I want it to or not and I didn't see the 2012 in it til it was pointed out and still can't find the runner in it.

That is... gah.

I know it may seem biased as not only was this in my country, but also my own state, but THIS was clever, imaginative, and artistic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/1996_Summer_Olympics.png

chiasaur11
Wake me when we get Isla Sorna Olympics.

The 100 meter dash should be epic.

Of course, the aliens and such attacking London should be fun too.

And yes, the logo is awful.

Haruki-kun
2008-08-17, 03:15 PM
Would you pay £400,000 for it?

That depends on how much money I have. :smalltongue:

WhiteMonkey
2008-08-17, 03:16 PM
Ah... hum well i did notice the 2012 but this runner thing is news to me however, if I tilt my head to the right a little, the three shapes at the bottom look a little like a man holding the two shapes on the top over his head.

Like maybe a guy flipping a string of spaghetti and a pizza over his head? Or perhaps a weight lifter holding a... um couple of rocks up?

No, sorry. As I look closer I realize it's just a bunch of shapes that vaguely resemble 2012. I can't determine if it was by chance or by design though.

Pyro
2008-08-17, 03:19 PM
Snip

Classic as that may be, we also had that weird bolt thingie.

I was about three at the time but c'mon, that just looks weird.

The_Librarian
2008-08-17, 03:20 PM
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in the logo, but I'm hopeful we can pull something amazing out of the hat when it comes the actual thing (like knights, knights would be good! And men in bowler hats!... actually, I think the whole thing should be a tribute to Monty Python).

I don't think the logo matters, though. I don't actually know what logo the Chinese are using (though their opening ceremony was awesome), but I do know that we have a cool cartoon featuring a monkey, a pig and a green man in the UK coverage of it.

Re. the cost... seriously, £400,000 for it? I don't care if it's the Mona Lisa, that's too much.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-08-17, 03:21 PM
Classic as that may be, we also had that weird bolt thingie.

I was about three at the time but c'mon, that just looks weird.
Well, ok, Izzy was weird, though still kinda cute in his own way. Least he was only the mascot though.

Beijing's for those who asked:
http://www.living-chinese-symbols.com/images/beijing2008.jpg

I mean, you can obviously see it is a running man, and it is made out of an actual chinese symbol, so that's cool.

faerwain
2008-08-17, 03:26 PM
Oh, wow...I thought White Monkey's thread title was a little exagerated, but he seemed to be on to something(and my theory of "vomiting man" makes also more sense): News linky. (http://slog.thestranger.com/2007/06/an_olympics_seizure)

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-17, 03:29 PM
Whaaattt!!?
Never seen that before....So weird...
Man, now that I actually care about the Olympics, the're always far away...
Ah well. They'll be back to Canada someday....

EmeraldRose
2008-08-17, 03:29 PM
After much looking at the logo, I think the 0 is supposed to be the runner's head, with the 2s being arms, and the funky looking 1 being a leg? The person appears to be getting ready to run off to the right...

:smallconfused:

I think.

Pyro
2008-08-17, 03:32 PM
After much looking at the logo, I think the 0 is supposed to be the runner's head, with the 2s being arms, and the funky looking 1 being a leg? The person appears to be getting ready to run off to the right...

:smallconfused:

I think.

Yeah now I see it...kinda. I think the chinese logo did a much better job with it though.

WhiteMonkey
2008-08-17, 03:34 PM
Dude...

There is no running man.

There can't be.

But I am seeing the vomiting man now; oddly enough.

chiasaur11
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in the logo, but I'm hopeful we can pull something amazing out of the hat when it comes the actual thing (like knights, knights would be good! And men in bowler hats!... actually, I think the whole thing should be a tribute to Monty Python).

That would be the best Olympics ever.

On the other hand: Benny Hill Olympics.:smalleek:

EmeraldRose
@ Pyro: Well, yes, but that one was lots less...abstract...than the London one.

WhiteMonkey
2008-08-17, 03:39 PM
I think I just found the London Olympic mascot...

http://www.micklarkins.com/news/uploaded_images/pancake_rabbit-757968.jpg

Huh; the logo is kind of making sense now.

Chronos
2008-08-17, 03:46 PM
OK, so the logo is the number 2012. That, I can actually see, and was able to figure out on my own in only a minute or two, without anyone prompting me.

But why? Why on Earth would you want to make the number the basis of the logo in the first place? The whole point of a logo like this is to highlight the host country. Right now, we're talking about what's going on at the Beijing Olympics. Similarly, we might refer to who won medals at the Barcelona Olympics, or the Los Angeles Olympics. But with this kind of marketing, we won't be talking about the London Olympics in a decade or two; we'll be talking about the 2012 Olympics. Is this really what England spent all that money for, to be forgotten?

Dihan
2008-08-17, 03:53 PM
I've always seen it as "2012", but here are some the general public made (http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6722205.stm) for no money at all.

Edit: Here are some more. (http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6719747.stm)

PlatinumJester
2008-08-17, 04:21 PM
I think Britain will make up for it's crappy logo in the handover ceremony. Leona Lewis is playing unfortunatly but Britain's the Worl'ds greatest ever person is playing. The one and only JIMMY PAGE whose awesomness will make the opening ceremony obsolete.

http://lenina.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/goatse.jpg

This s my fav design for the 2012 olympics logo

Xyk
2008-08-17, 11:25 PM
I see the running man though it took me 5 minutes. I agree that this is terrible.

Skippy
2008-08-17, 11:33 PM
Awesome. Although every single time I get my hopes up that the next ones might be in Mexico and every single time I'm disappointed. :smalltongue:

Not since sixty-something....

EDIT: No, I don't really mind where it is. England's fine with me.

Last time we had the Olympics here was in 1968. Just a few days after October 2nd, which is an important day here in Mexico (local politics, won't be discussed here). I'm kinda glad we don't have the Olympics here, since we don't have the right spaces to hold them. All our stadiums are old, and making new ones would need more money which we don't have...

I hope we'll get to know more about English culture with the Olympics. And that they will begin playing Monty Python's Flying Circus in local TV

*Bursts out laughing*

*Stops*

*Thinks for a while*

*Starts crying, after the thought of the impossibility of it actually happening*

skywalker
2008-08-18, 12:18 AM
I think Britain will make up for it's crappy logo in the handover ceremony. Leona Lewis is playing unfortunatly but Britain's the Worl'ds greatest ever person is playing. The one and only JIMMY PAGE whose awesomness will make the opening ceremony obsolete.

He has to live till then first...

Somebody said something about having the olympics in Canada, they're in Vancouver in 2 years :smallsmile:

WhiteMonkey
2008-08-18, 09:14 AM
Yah, actually about Vancouver 2010 Olympics...
The logo thing is ok. I mean I get it. It's like a totem-pole or a guy; that's fine. Ok it's groovy.

But the mascots are; well they're just so weird I can't describe it.

An Owl-bear an Orca-bear and a Sasquatch. It's very D&D but in a kind of wtf way, not a cool way.

Here look.

2010 MASCOTS (http://www.vancouver2010.com/mascot/en/)

Then again I've never been overly impressed with the mascots. Atlanta had this 'thing' and I think LA had an eagle. Neither of which was really that fabtabulous so yah, I won't dig in too hard on O'Canada.

EDIT
Hm... the more I look at them the more I'm ok with them. Unlike that London logo, I think there may be a kind of appeal here.

dish
2008-08-18, 11:21 AM
This s my fav design for the 2012 olympics logo

Hmm...I remember (http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/04/london-2012-olympic-.html)where that image came from. Iirc the BBC took it down within minutes of it being posted. I guess somebody told them what it represented.