PDA

View Full Version : What you think of these house rules?

Akisa
2008-08-17, 02:32 PM
I'm starting to think it's a bit much but here is what I got so far...

1: Rogue can take Weapon Finesse at first level

2: Cleric and Druids require to learn the spells using a prayer book which follows same rules for a wizard spell book. The only exception is that cure spell, and summon nature allies are learned automatically and Intelligence is replaced with Wisdom. As for a cleric’s domain they function like normal.

3: For Druids to wild shape to a certain animal they must have the animal in their prayer book. A wild shape selection is treated as a spell level which equal to 1/2 its HD rounded up. However they can not be selected as one of the two spells gained during a level up. Animal Companions past and present are automatically learned with no pages taken from the book. Although if you create a druid beyond first level s/he would have to speak to me about previous animal companions. To learn a new wild shape form you would have to observe the animal in it’s natural habitat for a full day.

4: Core spells can only be selected upon level up and character creation. There are a few exceptions, for example if a bard or Sorcerer acquire a non core spell scroll they can consume the scroll to learn the new spell upon level up. Also one can learn non core spells by researching it using the researching rules to learn the spell like normal upon level up. As for learning non core spells by writing them through consuming spell scroll or copying from a spell book follows the normal rules.

5: Paladin, and Rangers are treated as full caster per class level instead of the normal half caster per class level.

6: Magic weapons and armor are slightly different. Masterwork, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 weapons and armor are not magical and are now known as;

Fine Crafted = Masterwork
Superb= +1
Masterwork = +2
Superior Masterwork= +3
Extraordinary=+4
Legendary= +5

Seeing as they’re no longer magical anyone can create the weapon provided they have the create magic weapon and armor feat. Anyone can take the feat even if they can’t cast magic spells, they’re just able to create weapon and armor with the enactments bonus. I haven’t decided on the DC to craft each metal or may just have level requirement to make em like normal.

As for “real” magical weapon and armor (having stuff like flaming or animated etc), wondrous item, rings etc do not require xp to create. Instead they require rare material components that must be found or purchased. Usually items such as these can be purchased but for more rare components could require some searching through ancient ruins or some sort adventure. All other normal magical item creation follows normal rules. Please note Damage reduction/Magic is still bypassed by Superb or better weapons

7: Fighters gain 4 skill points per level with spot and listen as class skill, along with a free weapon focus of their choice.

8: Character creation:

32 point buy

Core classes and races only with three exceptions. Warforged, Lesser Drow and dragon born are in this campaign. However Warforged are renamed as centurions (with that red glowing eye thing from Battle Star Galactica and Kit from night rider). Lesser Drow are non nobles from Drow nation and Dragon Born can’t be selected as first level characters (although you can take the ritual to become one).

First level hp is Max starting level +Con + 10 HP debit. Before any character can gain any additional HP they must pay off the HP debit. To pay off the debit you subtract 10 HP or remaining debit you subtract from HP roll + Con Mod like normal for second level and beyond. For example
A first level fighter with 14 con would start with 22 HP (10 Starting HP +2 from Con +10 for HP debit). The fighter gains a level rolls 1d10 for their normal hp roll and gets a 3 and then adds 2 from is con modifier bring the total payoff to 5. The fighter hp is still 22 but has paid off a portion of his HP debit and now his HP debit is 5. On his 3rd level if the fighter rolls a 4 for his hp roll + 2 from his con modifier bringing the total to 6. And since HP debit is only 5 the fighter and he rolled for total of 6 hp first the fighter would pay finish paying off the HP debit and then use the remainder to add to his HP total (in this case 1) and thus bringing his total HP to 23. I know it’s complicated but I hate how first level character’s are so easy to kill.

9: A mysterious and rare metal called Star Metal exist in the world that combines all the benefits of Adamantine, Sliver, Cold Iron and Mithral. For example a weapon made from Star Metal would bypass damage reduction for Adamantine, Sliver and Cold Iron but does not increase the cost of magical items like cold iron does (aside for base cost), nor suffers a -1 to damage rolls. The secrets for creating such metal has long been lost and it can’t seem to be magically created. The main sources of Star Metal comes from the sky when a meteorite falls from the sky or from ruins (if they haven’t already been looted). I haven’t decided on the base cost for per pound, armor, weapons etc.

Draken
2008-08-17, 03:22 PM
My insight on some. And another detail.

0. The text needs some cleaning up.

1. I really wonder why the prerequisite for weapon finesse is +1 BAB and not Dex 13.

2. I would say "prayerbooks are what they made archivists for but, I guess limiting acess to the spell list is fair enough.

3. The "study the animal in his habitat for a day" part is a good one.

4. Needs tyding up. Good choice, I suppose. Use non-core spells as "prizes" for casters, good one. Not particularly original however.

5. It's some help for their spellcasting, not all that much, however.

6. I don't see the need for more nomenclature really. Taking out the experience cost on magic item fabrication is something I approve of.

7. People are going to insist that weapon focus is useless. Oooh. Might I suggest giving Weapon Aptitude (like the Warblade) at level 3, make that level less... :thog: "Fighter level 3 is dumb level, Thog no take it."

8. Point buy is your choice as DM, avaiable raices are your choice as DM.

"HP Buyoff" is an odd idea, and not all that complex, the complexity comes from the wording really, but even then it is more because it is describing something really simple in a long way. I suppose it is a way of helping 1° level characters not get killed by the first lucky goblin with a morningstar.

9. Adamantine falls from meteorites, I don't think this Star Metal that works as a better version of all other special materials is a good choice in any way.

Should probably cost twice or thrice as much as adamantine if you want to keep it, however.

Akisa
2008-08-17, 03:38 PM
what does Weapon Aptitude do?

AugustNights
2008-08-17, 03:49 PM
Weapon Aptitude (Ex): Your training with a wide range of weaponry and tactics gives you great skill with particular weapons. You qualify for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels (such as Weapon Specialization) as if you had a fighter level equal to your warblade level -2. For example, as a 6th-level warblade, you could take Weapon Specialization, since you're treated as being a 4th-level fighter for this purpose. These effective fighter levels stack with any actual fighter levels you have. Thus, a fighter 2/warblade 4 would also qualify for Weapon Specialization.

You also have the flexibility to adjust your weapon training. Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus). You must have the newly designated weapon available during your practice session to make this change. For example, if you wish to change the designated weapon for your Weapon Focus feat from greatsword to longsword, you must have a longsword available to practice with during your practice session.

You can adjust any number of your feats in this way, and you don't have to adjust them all in the same way. However, you can't change the weapon choices in such a way that you no longer meet the prerequisite for some other feat you possess. For instance, if you have both Weapon Focus (longsword) and Weapon Specialization (longsword), you can't change the designated weapon for Weapon Focus unless you also change the weapon for Weapon Specialization in the same way.

~Wizard, Warblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2)

Draken
2008-08-17, 03:50 PM
Allows you to change the "target weapon" of feats like:

Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Improved Critical
Exotic Weapon Proficiency
Greater Weapon Focus
Greater Weapon Specialization

There probably are other similar feats, but I don't remember now.

Meh. Ninja'd.