PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Carnival

Arros Winhadren
2008-08-17, 11:12 PM
I want ideas for a prestige class that is similar to Master of the Unseen Hand, only instead of focusing on telekinesis, this build focuses on prestidigitation. This class doesn't need to be good.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-17, 11:16 PM
I want a chocolate milkshake, & an order of curly fries. It's nice to want things. :biggrin:

Arros Winhadren
2008-08-18, 12:38 AM
Edit: Derr, I'm stupid.

Revanmal
2008-08-18, 12:49 AM
You totally didn't even have to respond. Childish.

So is your "I want" speal. Ask nicely, please.

Vadin
2008-08-18, 05:24 AM
Maybe even 'please'?

The Demented One
2008-08-18, 08:27 AM
Just for the future, there is a request a homebrew thread up there.

Master Magician

Hit Dice
d4

Requirements
To qualify to become a Master Magician, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Spellcraft 6 ranks, Perform (Oratory) 2 ranks, Sleight of Hand 2 ranks
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast [i]prestidigitation or use it as a spell-like ability.

Class Skills
The Master Magician's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points per Level
2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Master Prestidigitator, Nothing Up My Sleeves|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Mesmerizing Performance|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Magician’s Wand|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Master Magician prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting
Whenever you gain a new Master Magician level, you gain new spells per day and spells known as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class you belonged to before you added the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Master Prestidigitator (Su)
At 1st level, your talent at prestidigitation increases. You do not have to expend spell slots when you cast the prestidigitation spell, although you must prepare it in a spell slot in order to cast it if you prepare spells. In addition, you may apply any metamagic feat you know to the prestidigitation spell as you cast it, without increasing its level, although the level modifiers of any feats you apply to it can never total to greater than the highest level of spell you can cast. In addition, you cannot apply metamagic feats that would cause it to deal damage in any way.

Nothing Up My Sleeves (Su)
At 1st level, you can use prestidigitation to vanish small objects, calling them back on demand. While under the effect of the prestidigitation spell, you can vanish an unattended item weighing one pound or less as a standard action by touching it. The item disappears, sent to a miniscule demiplane that you create. You can recall the vanished item at any time as a swift action, causing it to reappear in your hand. If your hands are both full, it falls harmlessly to your feet. You can only vanish one object at a time.

In addition, your familiar can be vanished as if it were a valid object, assuming its size is Tiny or less. While vanished, the familiar is placed into stasis, and does not need to eat, drink, or breathe.

Mesmerizing Peformance (Su)
At 2nd level, you gain an enhancement bonus on all Perform and Sleight of Hand checks equal to your caster level while under the effect of the prestidigitation spell. In addition, you can cause your voice to be heard at a range of 50 ft. times your caster level.

Magician’s Wand
At 3rd level, you create a wand that allows you to channel your arcane powers, improving your powers of prestidigitation. Crafting the wand takes 8 hour, and requires 25 gp of material components to be expended. When you craft the wand, choose a number of spells from the following list equal to your Intelligence or Charisma modifier: dancing lights, detect magic, erase, flare, ghost sound, hypnotism, light mage hand, mending, open/close, silent image, unseen servant, ventriloquism. While under the effect of the prestidigitation spell and holding the wand, you may use all of the chosen spells at will as spell-like abilities, with caster level equal to your own.

You may craft a new wand, although doing so requires you to snap your old one in half first, discharging its magic. Your wand does not work for any other character. If your wand is stolen or lost, its magic permanently dies after 24 hours, allowing you to craft a new one. Your magic wand has a faint magical aura of the school of each spell chosen for it.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-18, 08:29 AM
TDO, you're a saint. And a much nicer person than I am.

Lappy9000
2008-08-18, 09:20 AM
Master Magician....

Man, I wish I could crank out stuff like this on the spot. Anyway, nice little PrC, I think it's funny that a gnome with no levels in any casting class could take this PrC just to upgrade his racial spells :smalltongue:

The Demented One
2008-08-18, 09:51 AM
Man, I wish I could crank out stuff like this on the spot. Anyway, nice little PrC, I think it's funny that a gnome with no levels in any casting class could take this PrC just to upgrade his racial spells :smalltongue:
While the earlier prerequisites made it impossible for a non-caster gnome to take it, I've changed it so they can. It makes a neat paragon-ish class for them.

JoshuaZ
2008-08-18, 11:57 AM
I'm worried that Master Prestidigitator might be slightly abusable if I take a lot of metamagic feats.

Say for example I take Snowcasting, Flash Frost so the spell is dealing damage and then can play around all sorts of fun ways. For example, if I take Fell Animate I now have a way of making free zombies. Just keep poking weakened or captured creatures until they croak. And if I get Quickened Spell I now have a three extra 2 damage a round. If I take heighten spell I can automatically always have my prestidigitation treated as a 9th level spell, and if I get Epic Heighten then I can automatically get it treated as any spell-level I'd like (this requires character level 21). But there are a number of PrCs which modify things based on the level of a spell (such as say as an Archmage's Arcane Fire) so say a prestidigitation at say Ackerman of Graham's number aside from horrifying mathematicians (http://xkcd.com/207/)) would instant kill anything many times over. I suggest modifying this so you cannot use it to make a prestidigitation with more metamagic levels than the highest level spell you can cast.

The Demented One
2008-08-18, 12:01 PM
Okay, I'll fix that.

Arros Winhadren
2008-08-18, 12:35 PM
Wow, my most sincere apologies. It was childish of me to just ask, and childish of me to complain about people not doing my work for me. From now on I'll try to avoid posting when extremely tired, badly sunburned and grumpy.

Many, many thanks for the build.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-18, 02:11 PM
No need to apologize. It takes awhile to learn where everything is around here. Just thanks your lucky stars that homebrewing dieties such as the Demented One are here, & answer prayers.

You could also worship at the altar of the Vorpal Tribble, or perhaps Krimm Blackleaf. They are all most kind homebrew gods.

JoshuaZ
2008-08-18, 04:26 PM
No need to apologize. It takes awhile to learn where everything is around here. Just thanks your lucky stars that homebrewing dieties such as the Demented One are here, & answer prayers.

You could also worship at the altar of the Vorpal Tribble, or perhaps Krimm Blackleaf. They are all most kind homebrew gods.

There's a joke I could make there but it might run afoul of the board rules and potentially offend some people here...