PDA

View Full Version : Old comic, but something I wondered.

Digitized
2008-08-18, 01:20 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html

Wouldn't Roy have seen the corpse and wondered what happened? Looks rather innocent there.

Nothing like going back to read from start to finish now. :P

Vargtass
2008-08-18, 01:41 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html

Wouldn't Roy have seen the corpse and wondered what happened? Looks rather innocent there.

Nothing like going back to read from start to finish now. :P

:roy: Oh, I think I just missed a spot check...

busterswd
2008-08-18, 01:50 AM
Well to be fair, he didn't know that the sylph was good. I'm not an expert on DnD monster alignments, but nonetheless, when the supposed "minions" of something attack you, you're not going to find it amiss if your teammate kills the leader.

disorder
2008-08-18, 02:06 AM
Well to be fair, he didn't know that the sylph was good.
I'm still gonna go with "botched spot check."

Roy might not have any reason to assume the earth fey is good, but he doesn't fully trust Thog either. If he noticed the poor lass at all, he would at least want to know what had happened, and maybe try a heal check.

FujinAkari
2008-08-18, 03:57 AM
Well, we know Haley and Sabine got attacked all the way to Celia, so it is fair to assume that Roy and Thog had to fight some Earth creatures on their way through the caves. As such, seeing that Thog killed an earth Sylph wouldn't strike him as remotely odd.

Dire Ferret
2008-08-18, 05:04 AM
Well, we know Haley and Sabine got attacked all the way to Celia, so it is fair to assume that Roy and Thog had to fight some Earth creatures on their way through the caves. As such, seeing that Thog killed an earth Sylph wouldn't strike him as remotely odd.

In the linked comic Roy and Thog actually do fight off some strange critters while they move through the caves.

Laurentio II
2008-08-18, 06:24 AM
Clearly, Roy was all absorbed by the listening of his own voice, and this distracted him.

David Argall
2008-08-18, 04:38 PM
The missed spot check seems the best answer, and is at least adequate for comic purposes.

ZFR
2008-08-18, 05:55 PM
Missed spot check. If he saw the corpse but assumed that she wasn't good and that's why Thog killed her, he wouldn't have said "did I hear voices?"

Linkavitch
2008-08-18, 06:54 PM
I agree with the 'Missed Spot Check' people.

Warren Dew
2008-08-18, 06:57 PM
Missed spot check.

Why would he have to make a spot check? I think the idea is that Thog's burly enough to block his view of the body.

eggamagga
2008-08-18, 07:32 PM
Also, don't forget that thog has darkvision as a half-orc, while Roy wouldn't be able to see it if it's dark (likely because they're underground.). They never seem to carry torches.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-08-18, 07:54 PM
Did anybody suggest "Missed Spot Check?" I sort of scanned the list quickly... :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I'm not sure about the MSC, because Roy should have been keeping closer eye on what was going on around him. The slyph's body should have stood out from the rest of the monsters. Roy missed a pretty important clue, especially since his second-in-command was already suspicious.

I'm going with "Roy messed up."

Kish
2008-08-18, 08:01 PM
Also, don't forget that thog has darkvision as a half-orc, while Roy wouldn't be able to see it if it's dark (likely because they're underground.). They never seem to carry torches.
Darkvision is really conspicuous when it's being used in OotS, we know from seeing Durkon and Hilgya use it.

AceOfFools
2008-08-19, 08:14 PM
I fail to see what would make Roy think twice about a dead body in a dungeon crawl.

Either it's trying to kill you, it's a corpse to show you that this place is dangerous, or its an NPC that will try to talk to you.

Roy didn't riffled through her pockets for copper pieces, so yeah, he screwed up big time in that one.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-19, 08:29 PM
Did anybody suggest "Missed Spot Check?" I sort of scanned the list quickly... :smallbiggrin:

I think, when you were skimming the thread, you missed your spot check. :smallwink:

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-20, 01:42 AM
No, thog's axe is a phasing axe. As you can see he was standing in front of the corpse obscuring Roy's view when he spoke to him, and the corpse disappeared a second later.

AceOfFools
2008-08-23, 12:04 AM
No, thog's axe is a phasing axe. As you can see he was standing in front of the corpse obscuring Roy's view when he spoke to him, and the corpse disappeared a second later.

Now that you mention it, that also happens frequently in dungeons.