PDA

View Full Version : join the linux apreciation society

koutalied
2008-08-18, 12:26 PM
hello and this is my new plan i want to spread the magic of linux to as many people as possible. I have always had microsoft computers and thoought it was the only way , how foolish i was, as soon as i got ubuntu everything seemed to get quicker and work better ,you also learn code and minor bits of programing without trying all plus's did i mention it is free.
It does have one draw back to microsoft, microsoft has a very very pretty GUI (graphical user interface) and if you want to come close you need to learn bits of code and by bits i mean pages other than that it is amazing and free.
So why not try it out you never know you mny never have to pay for an updated operating system ever again.

long live linux
long live pengiun logos
:smallsmile:

valadil
2008-08-18, 12:42 PM
No offense meant, but you may have better luck getting people to listen to a message like this if you work on your grammar (namely punctuation) before posting. MS Word's grammar check should help ;-)

I'm a big linux fan, but I'd have to say that being as pretty as Vista isn't its biggest problem. Personally I find linux prettier. And you can configure Ubuntu with just gnome-appearance-settings and compiz-ccsm (not sure what kde equivalents are).

BitVyper
2008-08-18, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to Linux for my next computer. I don't see myself upgrading to Vista, and I can't run most of the stuff I have on a Mac.

Arioch
2008-08-18, 02:11 PM
Is this spam? It seems to have the hallmarks.

multilis
2008-08-18, 02:17 PM
Only Bill will make you happy. Stay to the true path. The Blue screen of rebirth will cleanse the illegal operations, all the os will be writen in Visual Basic, Bob will return and everone in the glorious M$ will be in Blissful subscription.

Those that strayed to the left unfortunately will be frozen in the wastes, tormented by Penquins. Cold and alone they will regret their betrayal of our Bill.

Those that strayed to the right will will be scorched by the heat of the burning Apple and poked by the Daemon. They will thirst for the Start but never be satisfied, no Wizards will protect them and guide them to the joys of Powerpoint.

koutalied
2008-08-18, 04:00 PM
No this isnt spam i am trying to spread the word i know loads of people who want to try linux but dont know how or just dont understand it, and i want to try and help those people.

In answer to the first reply i am hyper dyslexic and so i appologise in advance for any mistake, i cant actually help it i cant see gramatical errors and spelling mistakes like most people so sorry.

koutalied
2008-08-18, 04:05 PM
Also death to the blue screen all it causes is pain

why would you want to buy into a corperate giant and help to stop small softaware companies geting anywhere

microsoft fails epicly it released vista before it was perfected as always and becasue vista sucked so badly they are releasing windows 7 in 2012 that is a full 8 years ahead of shedule so that will also be a failure beacsue they havent spent the time to make it work correctly why cant microsoft actully jsut wait and produce a operating system that works well on the average computer without updates and patches

Lupy
2008-08-18, 04:28 PM
Microsoft has had solid projects in the past, (namely '98 and XP), and the fact that their current project is weak is not a setback for the whole company. I feel that they erred in trying to compete with Mac's prettiness approach. The way I see it, Macs are excellent for schools and workplaces, in that they are solid and easy to use, but for the home of someone who is interested in computers, Windows is compatible with every program ever written, and is excellent for experimentation when you are starting out. It requires very little prior knowledge and has always been easy to master. Linux is a system I have never used, but my understanding is that it is less user friendly than Windows or Mac.

Rawhide
2008-08-18, 04:44 PM
I love Linux, where else can you find this in a manual?
Timer
(this needs to be written)and
Active IPX sockets
(this needs to be done by somebody who knows it)
Active NET/ROM sockets
Active AX.25 sockets

Red Machine D
2008-08-18, 04:45 PM
Linux is a system I have never used, but my understanding is that it is less user friendly than Windows or Mac.

Linux is about as user friendly as a badger on PCP.

Anyways. You people still get bluescreens? I haven't gotten a single bluescreen or any other kind of huge crash since I used 98.

Wizard Guy
2008-08-18, 06:50 PM

Anyways. You people still get bluescreens? I haven't gotten a single bluescreen or any other kind of huge crash since I used 98.

Umm, I'm just wondering, but how much have you used GNU/Linux ? I find it to be very user friendly, aptitude is wonderful and makes for some of the easiest software installation I have ever seen, Gnome works like a GUI should (I dont have much experience with KDE or Fluebox), and the file system makes much more sense than the whole C:\ and $SYS$ thing.

And yes, I have gotten BSODs with XP one of the few times I used it, not to mention the frequent hard shutdowns and locking up my parent experience with their computer.

Any how, anyone else ever use NDISWrapper for WiFi ? I have been trying for over half a year with some success to get my WiFi working.

deepsear
2008-08-18, 07:07 PM
Ubuntu would be perfect if it had better support for dual screens and would run the monopolized windows programs.

I find the less user friendliness to be a small drawback in comparison with so little problems I could list them on one hand.

Its FREE, it updates practically every time I use it, it has a lot of cool FREE stuff.

Plus, the community is amazing so if you have a problem you need only google it and you can fix it.

DanielX
2008-08-18, 07:27 PM
I've gotten plenty of BSODs - my old laptop often got them when you woke it up from 'sleep' - probably a driver error. It had Windows XP SP2. The problem never happened with Linux (Linux does have its own problems,t though, but about the only times the OS itself crashed was when I mucked about with the kernel, not something 90% of users will do).

Linux has gone VERY far in recent years; I've used several versions of both Ubuntu and Red Hat, and I can tell you the improvements are very obvious. A modern distribution is actually easier to install than Windows Vista, and they're about as easy to use for day-to-day operations. Its when you want to get into some of the gooky configuration stuff that things become difficult, and most beginning users won't do that anyway (and non-beginners are more willing to pick it up). That, and certain things like Windows-only software are a pain (there is WINE, but it only runs some Windows software, and configuring it can hurt!), so you need to find alternatives (which exist for most things).

For web-surfing and office software, Linux won't be a problem. Firefox and Opera are multi-platform... and OpenOffice.org does 99% of what MS Office does, for free. Both GNOME and KDE have rather easy-to-use GUIs (and more aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion, compared to Vista or Mac OS X). And there's lots and lots and lots of free stuff out there. There are relatively few big-name games out there, but plenty of free little amusements and some epic games (especially if you like Roguelikes or FPSs).

I'm personally going to get my next laptop as an XP/Linux dual-boot, just like my old laptop (only I upgraded it to XP from Vista - yes, that's an upgrade). At the moment, the decision is on which distro... I the old laptop has Ubuntu, but Fedora has more security tools and a few other nice things. But Ubuntu has a great package-management system (APT, taken from Debian), and I don't know if YUM is as good. Or I could be a 'real nerd' and go for Slackware or Gentoo...

Haruki-kun
2008-08-18, 07:59 PM

I got a Blue Screen on a computer that was one-week old. :smallsigh:

It really does happen. I'd switch to Linux right now if it wasn't for the fact that I might make my computer a splode if I try anything on it without help. (I tend to do that to technology.)

Besides, I have a programming class that works mostly on C#, which, if I'm not mistaken, was developed by Microsoft.

valadil
2008-08-18, 09:25 PM
Any how, anyone else ever use NDISWrapper for WiFi ? I have been trying for over half a year with some success to get my WiFi working.

It works great on my laptop. I've tried 2 different cards too. You need to get the windows driver. I do this from my winxp installation. Then do ndiswrapper -i /path/to/file.inf. The trick is doing the full path. Took me a while to guess that part right.

Oh yeah, the other gotcha in wireless networking is that NetworkManager sucks. Once it stores certain settings it won't overwrite them later. My WiFi is currently stuck at WPA and I can't set it to WPA2. Supposedly removing the gconf entries fixes things, but no luck so far.

Lupy
2008-08-18, 09:28 PM
I have had a blue screen once in my life, and there was physical damage to the computer. What I hear about Ubuntu is intriguing though, how does one run two OSes on one computer?

valadil
2008-08-18, 09:32 PM
I have had a blue screen once in my life, and there was physical damage to the computers. What I hear about Ubuntu is intriguing though, how does one run two OSes on one computer?

The standard way is called dual booting. You either get a second hard drive or make another partition on your primary drive. Windows goes on one drive/partition, linux on the other. When you boot up you pick which OS starts.

The other option is virtualization. With a program like vmware you can set aside some disk space and ram and run a second OS inside of vmware. It's pretty cool, but not especially efficient. I use it so I test IE when building websites.

ArchivesNinja
2008-08-18, 09:40 PM

Hehehe That's true about certain versions. Ubuntu Gutsy is as user-friendly as Linux has ever been. Personally, I fought with the Debian system it's based on for about 3 years before Ubuntu was developed. The learning curve on Debian is pretty steep if you're a n00b like I was, but I'd lost an important school paper to the BSOD and I refused to go back to Windows. :smallbiggrin: I hit some trouble with laptop drivers in Kubuntu, but the Gnome environment seems to have navigated at least most of those.

@V Lupy, none of it will work natively. You will have to run all of your Windows programs in an emulator like VMWare. (In fact, I recommend VMWare; it seems to be the most reliable.)

Lupy
2008-08-18, 09:46 PM
Hmm. And if I switched to Ubuntu, how much of my software would work? I take it PC games for Windows cannot be ported? :smallconfused:

koutalied
2008-08-19, 03:50 AM
Hmm. And if I switched to Ubuntu, how much of my software would work? I take it PC games for Windows cannot be ported? :smallconfused:

sadly the answer is not alot but their are plenty of great replacements and if you realy are desperate to playa windows game or runa windows aplication you can use a peice of software called 'wine' it is a bit clunky at times but it generaly works well i have utorent running on wine and i love it

One more thing to note is that ubuntu and kubuntu and fedora are not the only linux distrobutions (meaning versions effectly) their are millions of linux distro's and each one of them is differnet or works better on certain systems their is even a linux distro that work form a flopy disk now i run my ubuntu direcctly fomr a portable hard drive so i can use pretty much any computer i want but runnig a whole operating system from a floppy is insane i love it

you can even coustomise your distro's and make them your own and personalise them and their is so much help out their for any issues you amy have it is ridiculous

one main reason i love linux over windows is that all the updatingn and finding of softwre is so simple us presedent could do it their is a feature in that contains a database of all software aand you downlaod from a driect link and it is incrediably fast and efficiant

SnowballMan
2008-08-19, 12:33 PM
hello and this is my new plan i want to spread the magic of linux to as many people as possible.

Some resources would be nice.

-Links for download.
-Information for beginners.
-Information on how to create dual boots.
-A list of which major programs run well on WINE.

Things like that might be helpful if you want to spread the word and get people to make the transition.

Lupy
2008-08-19, 01:03 PM
A list of PC games for windows that work well with WINE would be nice.

valadil
2008-08-19, 01:07 PM
PC games list? Here ya go!

http://appdb.winehq.org/

Lupy
2008-08-19, 01:12 PM
Valadil is da' Kobold. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-19, 01:15 PM
A lot of my pc games work a lot better with Windows then Linux. A major reason why I'm staying with Windows....

Plus that I'm a bit lazy...

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-19, 01:19 PM
Linux is a pretty good OS, as far as functionality is concerned. If you can get it to actually work, that is.

I just took the easy way out and installed Knoppix. It's really impressive that they fit everything in just 700 megabytes. It even comes with a cool game, similar to Bust-a-Move.

If only I could find a way to get wireless internet to work...

Lupy
2008-08-19, 01:24 PM
Wait... My wireless internet won't work with Linux? Not even Ubuntu? :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Telonius
2008-08-19, 01:31 PM
Blue Screen of Death? Now that's something I haven't seen since about 2002. Never had any problems with my Dell. It's still running pretty well, and it's six years old. After a couple of minor settings changes to Word (Clippy bites the dust; and I'll be the judge of whether that's a run-on sentence, thank you) it works just fine.

valadil
2008-08-19, 01:45 PM
Valadil is da' Kobold. :smallbiggrin:

Yark yark! :smallbiggrin:

Wait... My wireless internet won't work with Linux? Not even Ubuntu? :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Wireless will work, but usually takes some effort. My old wireless card worked with it out of the box, but I needed to upgrade to wireless G. Read up on it ahead of time or try the live cd (boot Ubuntu without installing it) to see if it'll just work. I'm pretty sure that getting networking to work automagically is one of Ubuntu's big priorities and I expect it to be tackled within another release or two.

This may sound weird but I actually like not having games available to me all the time. It forces me to get stuff done. If I'm struggling with something there's no temptation to hop onto counterstrike for a couple rounds (which turns into a couple hours) or DDO to check my auctions, only to find out theres a guild raid. Gaming takes place only when I'm ready to boot into windows for a while. I think this is how I managed to get through college without a single all nighter, while my friends ditched classes for weeks on end when new games came out. (Of course summers were spent primarily in windows, since that's where the games live.)

ArchivesNinja
2008-08-19, 08:12 PM
Some resources would be nice.

-Links for download.
-Information for beginners.
-Information on how to create dual boots.
-A list of which major programs run well on WINE.

Things like that might be helpful if you want to spread the word and get people to make the transition.

Like I said, Ubuntu is the most user-friendly. Also, VMWare is an emulator that I've heard works better than Wine. There are a good number of other distributions out there, however, here are Ubuntu's vitals:

What is is (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu).
Features and an overview of the desktop version (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/804features/).
Where to download it (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu).
The shiny and useful Support Page (http://www.ubuntu.com/support) and Wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/) where all your questions can be answered.

Lupy
2008-08-19, 09:11 PM
Does hardwired internet work well with Ubuntu? :smallconfused:

valadil
2008-08-19, 09:32 PM
Does hardwired internet work well with Ubuntu? :smallconfused:

Absolutely. You shouldn't even have to think about using ethernet, it just works.

koutalied
2008-08-20, 02:41 AM
here is a list of resourses for those of you interested
ubutnu website
http://www.ubuntu.com/
fedora website
http://fedoraproject.org/
the linux main page
http://www.linux.org/
getting started page
http://www.linux.org/docs/beginner/index.html
the distrobution selection page (find otu which version of linux is best for you)
http://www.linux.org/dist/

looking at these is a good place to start if you are new to linux the main thing to keep in mind is it will be different for those of you thinknig linux will be just like putting a new windows blinds skin on your computer think again
this is a large peice of kit and it will be very new to you at the begining but dont give up try it thoughrouhly

also chosing the distrobution to suit you is key remeber that
happy linuxing