PDA

View Full Version : OotS Campaign?

Zerohour
2008-08-18, 12:49 PM
I know it's probably been asked before, but do you think they'll ever create an actual campaign of the Order of the Stick comic? It probably wouldn't be as entertaining, but I'd really be interested in checking it out.

JMobius
2008-08-18, 12:50 PM
The setting might be usable, but given how dependent the plot of the comic is on the particular antics of certain PCs, an actual campaign doesn't seem as feasible.

Vexxation
2008-08-18, 01:07 PM
The setting might be usable, but given how dependent the plot of the comic is on the particular antics of certain PCs, an actual campaign doesn't seem as feasible.

True, but the general plot could be used.
That is, the party could be required to use the same basic makeup (Amelee, a caster, a divine, a sneaky type, another sneaky type, a bard/beguiler/factotum jack-of-all-trades type). That way, the whole "Nale" story could be run using parallels. The dungeons and side quests are plentiful. Just stat out Dorukon's or whatever his name was tower, ending with Xykon. Then follow the plot. The comic has plenty of twists, traps, and NPC interaction.

Heck, even having read the entire strip (twice...) it would be a really fun campaign.

Granted, you'd have to wait a year or so, because right now, we're lacking an ending. But if you started at the beginning, following every turn, you'd probably be able to delay reaching the end until, well, the end.

ShaggyMarco
2008-08-18, 02:20 PM
It actually has a fairly well-developed cosmology and setting. It just hasn't all been revealed yet.

I think you could definitely set all sorts of adventures in OOtS setting if we either A. had a setting book or B. filled in the blanks ourselves.

Wreckingrocc
2008-08-18, 02:21 PM
They could use the OOTS setting alone :)

It would work as a campaign setting, and nothing else.

Morty
2008-08-18, 02:25 PM
The problem being, there's no real setting. There are several human nations, some dwarves in the north, some elven forests... and that's it. I don't think we'll ever get enough information from the strip to put up any "OoTS setting" that wouldn't be a generic D&D world with an ineresting story.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-18, 02:35 PM
The problem being, there's no real setting. There are several human nations, some dwarves in the north, some elven forests... and that's it. I don't think we'll ever get enough information from the strip to put up any "OoTS setting" that wouldn't be a generic D&D world with an ineresting story.

Indeed. I think that's also, to an extent, the point. You know, given the fact that the comic is, at least partially, satire of D&D.

Chronos
2008-08-18, 04:22 PM
That is, the party could be required to use the same basic makeup (Amelee, a caster, a divine, a sneaky type, another sneaky type, a bard/beguiler/factotum jack-of-all-trades type). That way, the whole "Nale" story could be run using parallels.Except the whole "Nale" thing depends inherently on Elan being a bard. His character is built out of tropes, cliches, and metagaming, so naturally he has to have an evil twin brother.

There's also the problem that the plot of OotS has hinged on random happenstance a few times. If, for instance, Elan had opened the gate in Dorukan's Dungeon like Xykon wanted, then when Roy later threw Xykon into the gate, his soul would have been destroyed, not just his body (though of course nobody knew that at the time). OK, that's a wrap, good game, and we never even had the chance to meet Miko.

Morty
2008-08-18, 04:29 PM
Indeed. I think that's also, to an extent, the point. You know, given the fact that the comic is, at least partially, satire of D&D.

True. Also, as Chronos mentions, OoTS is full of purely metagame concepts and fourth wall is brutally assaulted. It would make for a good comedic campaign, though.

Prophaniti
2008-08-18, 05:47 PM
I've actually been talking with my group about running a satire campaign, where our characters have as many cliches as we can cram into one person, and tropes are thick as flies, and the fourth wall is a pile of smoking rubble... OotS sounds like a great setting to do it in. I'll have to bring it up next week.

monty
2008-08-18, 06:40 PM
There's also the problem that the plot of OotS has hinged on random happenstance a few times. If, for instance, Elan had opened the gate in Dorukan's Dungeon like Xykon wanted, then when Roy later threw Xykon into the gate, his soul would have been destroyed, not just his body (though of course nobody knew that at the time). OK, that's a wrap, good game, and we never even had the chance to meet Miko.

A good DM would be able to work around problems like that, I think. Besides, we all know Xykon has three brothers. Maybe have one of them take over as the main villain.

Chronos
2008-08-18, 08:37 PM
A good DM would be able to work around problems like that, I think.Oh, certainly, but in the process of working around, the storyline would diverge wildly from that of OotS, and an official published module would become much less relevant. Which brings us back to the official publication being just a campaign setting, which the DM and players can interact with freely, but as mentioned before, the OotS setting is pretty generic.

kjones
2008-08-18, 11:18 PM
A more serious problem in the current storyline is the fact that the party is split. Running a campaign for two separate groups of PCs is not fun.

Siegel
2008-08-19, 06:03 AM
A more serious problem in the current storyline is the fact that the party is split. Running a campaign for two separate groups of PCs is not fun.

Don't forget one character is temporaly removed from play (more or less) that is NO fun at all.

warmachine
2008-08-19, 07:27 AM
I wanna know which RPG system or variants would work best. D20 as is wouldn't work. A DM should override rules for the sake of drama but some of the OotS characters go into total rule abandonment. For example, Belkar's small daggers can cut hydra necks. Durkon, by amazing fortune, happened to have two Sanctuaries prepared in the Pit of Outdated Monsters. Not one of Tsukiko's attack spells hit Mr Scruffy.

There would have to a framework, whether explicit or implicit, about what cliches override the dice and rules.

fireinthedust
2008-08-19, 07:42 AM
I totally disagree that OOTS couldn't be made into a setting. I can't believe this is even an opinion that's shared by more than one person.

Basically every response here is saying "you can't have a satirical storyline in D&D without worshipping the continuity of OOTS! All funny characters must be Roy and co.! You cannot be a black PC until we know what nation Roy and his family are from!"

read this: http://ah.indolents.com/comic/1 and keep going until the most recent comic. It's good stuff, set in an OotS-style setting.

OotS is all about the satire, it's true, and yes there is a storyline with the current characters. However, that is also the case with the Forgotten Realms (except the satire) and any other published setting. Excepting the original Dragonlance modules (and maybe R1) it's really not a good idea to have a campaign where you're railroading the PCs through a pre-published book or series.

What the OP is asking, I think, is could we get a copy of the campaign setting (perhaps when *the comic is over*) so that we can make up characters and put them in the OotS world. Maybe they could meet Elan the same way some PCs meet Drizzt in FR. Maybe they have to rescue him from a girl swarm (apply the swarm rules to a gaggle of lovesruck teenage girls; a high CR is appropriate).

Chronos
2008-08-19, 04:30 PM
For example, Belkar's small daggers can cut hydra necks. Durkon, by amazing fortune, happened to have two Sanctuaries prepared in the Pit of Outdated Monsters. Not one of Tsukiko's attack spells hit Mr Scruffy.All of those are quite plausible, under the rules. Base weapon damage matters a lot less than bonuses to the damage, and Belkar's very strong, despite being a halfling. Sanctuary is pretty useful, for a first-level spell, so it's reasonable to use a spell slot or two on it. And housecats have pretty good touch AC, especially with animal companion bonuses, and Tsukiko only got the chance to cast a couple of spells at him.

What the OP is asking, I think, is could we get a copy of the campaign setting (perhaps when *the comic is over*) so that we can make up characters and put them in the OotS world.The thing is, there really isn't much of a campaign setting. Compare OotS with, say, Eberron: Eberron includes at least three nonstandard races (changelings, shifters, and warforged), at least two new classes (Magewright and Artificer), a slew of new prestige classes, oodles of new magic items which affect every aspect of society (lightning rail, anyone? Magic rollerskates?), entirely new pantheons and religious organizations serving them, and so on.

If you compare OotS to the standard generic D&D setting, though, you have one splatbook base class (ninja), one new prestige class (dashing swordsman), minor changes to a couple of seldom-used monster races (goblins and sylphs are both medium instead of small), and a few pantheons that aren't even original to the comic (Chinese zodiac, Norse, Mesopotamian). There's just not very much material there. You could fit the entire setting on three pages, one of which is a map.

monty
2008-08-19, 06:21 PM
Perhaps you could have it take place after the storyline, but in the same setting? Obviously, you'd have to wait until the comic's over, but you could have plot hooks from former characters. Maybe Hinjo (who presumably is still alive and in charge) wants you to go check on one of the gates. Maybe one member of the original party gets captured/disappears/whatever, and one or more other members want your help rescuing them.

kjones
2008-08-19, 07:29 PM
If you compare OotS to the standard generic D&D setting, though, you have one splatbook base class (ninja), one new prestige class (dashing swordsman), minor changes to a couple of seldom-used monster races (goblins and sylphs are both medium instead of small), and a few pantheons that aren't even original to the comic (Chinese zodiac, Norse, Mesopotamian). There's just not very much material there. You could fit the entire setting on three pages, one of which is a map.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think this is entirely fair. The OotS setting has a fully fleshed out mythology, a creation myth that has the only logical reason for the existence of goblins that I've ever seen, a bunch of kingdoms (some only hinted at), lots of interesting NPCs...

You're correct in that if we were to try to take only what we know and turn it into a campaign setting, it would com up a little light. There would have to be a good deal of blanks-filling-in. The thing is, the Giant almost certainly has all this stuff worked out in his head (or on paper), maybe we'll get those answers someday.

Lyndworm
2008-08-19, 08:20 PM
I don't know about the validity of such theories, but I've heard a rumor that might interest you.

Order of the Stick is based on an actual campaign setting designed by Rich Burlew. He submitted it to Wizards of the Coast to be made, but was beaten by Ebberon. Now, if he were to ever release the campaign setting, WotC wouldn't publish it. In conclusion, there is an OotS campaign setting, but the Giant is hiding it from us.

Zack

Chronos
2008-08-19, 09:30 PM
Eh, it's known that Rich submitted a campaign setting to WotC, but I don't think it's known that OotS is set in that setting. In fact, it's probably not, since he's said that things his decision to use the Norse pantheon were based on the fact that it's a comic strip read by many people.

Rich's setting that lost out to Eberron might be the New World he's detailed in the Gaming section of this sight, but I don't know if he's ever confirmed or denied that.

Chronicled
2008-08-19, 09:35 PM
Don't forget one character is temporaly removed from play (more or less) that is NO fun at all.

Without this turning into a discussion of the plot (I hope), I think that Roy's character is actually playing as Celia right now. It explains the personality change (and sudden lack of common sense at times) quite handily, and is something a lot of DM's would do.

monty
2008-08-19, 11:50 PM
Without this turning into a discussion of the plot (I hope), I think that Roy's character is actually playing as Celia right now. It explains the personality change (and sudden lack of common sense at times) quite handily, and is something a lot of DM's would do.

I thought Rich established that there were no players behind the PCs (making "player characters" incorrect, I suppose).

Morty
2008-08-20, 07:26 AM
I don't know about the validity of such theories, but I've heard a rumor that might interest you.

Order of the Stick is based on an actual campaign setting designed by Rich Burlew. He submitted it to Wizards of the Coast to be made, but was beaten by Ebberon. Now, if he were to ever release the campaign setting, WotC wouldn't publish it. In conclusion, there is an OotS campaign setting, but the Giant is hiding it from us.

Zack

I belive Giant has said somewhere very clearly that OoTSverse isn't the setting he submitted to Wizards. He also said that he's had a non-disclosure agreement with WoTC that he's not supposed to say anything about it. Which also means the world in Gaming section isn't this setting either, especially since he at some point decides it doesn't really fit D&D. He does mention something about a setting he designed previously in those articles, though, but of course with no details about it.