PDA

View Full Version : A plea from an aging mind

Noc Sha'ul
2008-08-18, 04:32 PM
Okay,

I have been driving myself crazy trying to recall the name and locate a copy of a series of AD&D 1e/2e modules/source books from back in the 80's. I hope that some of you all in here can help.

Here are the few clues my aging mind can drag up...

--The titles are "Dwarves" & "Elves".
--They used a HTK (hits to kill) system versus Hit Points, otherwise is was 1e.
--The dwarves book had an adventure dealing with exploring a floating upside-down mountain.
--These were very common alternate rule books from the 1980's.

I can almost picture them in my mind, not nothing sufficient to track them down.

Now, I know most of you were not likely alive in the 80's...but, please, if any group of people can figure this out...you all can.

Thanks

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-18, 05:46 PM
Need more clues:smallsmile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium_Fantasy_Role-Playing_Game

As a last resort you might want to check out: Heroic Worlds: A History and Guide to Role Playing Games by Lawrence Schick.

Matthew
2008-08-19, 05:46 AM
Maybe something by Mayfair Games, or Judge's Guild?

Noc Sha'ul
2008-08-19, 06:38 AM
Maybe something by Mayfair Games, or Judge's Guild?

ROLE AIDS! By Mayfair Games! The stupidest name for a game series...Let's equate our product with indigestion.

Thanks to both of you...

http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=911

celestialkin
2008-08-19, 07:58 AM
Now that the OP got helped, is it OK to point out how horrible it must be to age so much. Reminds you of your own mortality. :smalleek:

Charity
2008-08-19, 08:41 AM
Sigh

It can't be any worse than missing obvious self deprecating humour that is common amongst folk whom really arn't as old as they make out...

(the OP is unlikely to even be in his 40's yet for heavens sake, he's not really some sort of crumbling fossil, it is just a figure of speech... wheres that rolly eye smilie when you need it?)

Noc Sha'ul
2008-08-19, 08:53 AM
Sigh

It can't be any worse than missing obvious self deprecating humour that is common amongst folk whom really arn't as old as they make out...

(the OP is unlikely to even be in his 40's yet for heavens sake, he's not really some sort of crumbling fossil, it is just a figure of speech... wheres that rolly eye smilie when you need it?)

:smalltongue:

Yes, the OP is 40. Referring to myself as an old fart type is mainly due to the fact that I generally find that most people on forums are my kids ages. Not all, but most.

I would ask anyone to recall something from 20 years ago with anything resembling clarity. Brain farts do increase with age, but not THAT much...

I do crumble a tad, however...

Meat Shield
2008-08-19, 08:54 AM
Now that the OP got helped, is it OK to point out how horrible it must be to age so much.

Now you just watch it you whippersnapper. Some of us old folks still go the chops to put you on you role playing butt! :smallbiggrin:

(<- Old fart still trying to find an intact copy of X10 Red Arrow Black Shield)

celestialkin
2008-08-19, 09:04 AM

What exactly is that, gramps?

Yes, the OP is 40. Referring to myself as an old fart type is mainly due to the fact that I generally find that most people on forums are my kids ages. Not all, but most.

I would ask anyone to recall something from 20 years ago with anything resembling clarity. Brain farts do increase with age, but not THAT much...

I do crumble a tad, however...

Damn, and I was really starting to feel old after a few days of 22...

Charity
2008-08-19, 09:25 AM
Now you just watch it you whippersnapper. Some of us old folks still go the chops to put you on you role playing butt! :smallbiggrin:

How much do you want that?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/War-games/Other/auction-168623442.htm

Wow this guy wants $89! (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0394548949/ref=dp_olp_2)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-X10-Red-Arrow-Black-Shield-MINT_W0QQitemZ230281545795QQihZ013QQcategoryZ44113 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-Module-X10-Red-Arrow-Black-Shield_W0QQitemZ140258318918QQihZ004QQcategoryZ441 13QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jayabalard
2008-08-19, 09:28 AM
To the OP: None of thse sounds 1e ad&d to me; perhaps it's 2e AD&D?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium_Fantasy_Role-Playing_GameI'm not sure why you're linking to the palladium frpg

Charity
2008-08-19, 09:47 AM
ROLE AIDS! By Mayfair Games! The stupidest name for a game series...Let's equate our product with indigestion.

Thanks to both of you...

http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=911

Jayabalard, the OP has fullfilled his quest, he has discovered the name of the ancient book of dreams and has already rolled HPs for his level up.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-19, 09:48 AM
To the OP: None of thse sounds 1e ad&d to me; perhaps it's 2e AD&D?

I'm not sure why you're linking to the palladium frpg

Most FRPG games have Dwarves and Elves. There were a lot of small companies. It didn't sound like The Judge's Guild. Right time frame (1983). Lot of good information and pictures on Wiki.

Noc Sha'ul
2008-08-19, 11:53 AM
What exactly is that, gramps?

Damn, and I was really starting to feel old after a few days of 22...

:smallannoyed: Oh, you be quiet...

You want to feel old? Take exactly how you feel and think, right now at 22, and the add the following:

The sudden realization that although you feel like a 22 year old, you have become your Dad...

The sinking feeling you get when the Hot Chick (tm) you are scoping out is the same age as your Daughter...(and she knows your Daughter...:smalleek:)

Grey hairs in weird places...

Going to bed by 11:00pm is late...

Aches and pains that get worse, not better in the am...

Enjoyed the power and beauty of your youth. 22 is NOT old. Neither is 40, but I can see Old from here.

Meat Shield
2008-08-19, 12:37 PM

You want to feel old? Take exactly how you feel and think, right now at 22, and the add the following:

The sudden realization that although you feel like a 22 year old, you have become your Dad...

The sinking feeling you get when the Hot Chick (tm) you are scoping out is the same age as your Daughter...(and she knows your Daughter...:smalleek:)

Enjoyed the power and beauty of your youth. 22 is NOT old. Neither is 40, but I can see Old from here.

TESTIFY BROTHA!

(except for the part about the Hot Chick - I started late so my kids are 4, 2, and -1 month)

celestialkin
2008-08-19, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the peptalk. I feel better now. I guess I put too much thought into being 1/3 done with my lifespan.

And yes, all those things seem awful. Good luck...

Also, is your daughter available Mr. Cradle Robber? :smallbiggrin:

Noc Sha'ul
2008-08-19, 09:42 PM
Also, is your daughter available Mr. Cradle Robber? :smallbiggrin:

:smallamused: Sure. I believe I can get her to drop her standards for you...

Charity
2008-08-20, 02:22 AM
Does she have a bathescope?

Noc Sha'ul
2008-08-20, 10:33 AM
Does she have a bathescope?

No, but we do have a Bathyscape...

Sadly, getting access to the Marianas trench in order for her to reach you requires tremendous paperwork...

Sorry.

celestialkin
2008-08-20, 11:25 AM
:smallamused: Sure. I believe I can get her to drop her standards for you...

Ouch. That was cold. It might be true, but still cold...:smallsmile: