PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Avatar Observation

Damian_Blackclaw
2005-07-08, 07:27 AM
Wow, I've been around now for quite awhile for a message board.

One observation: There are so many personalized Avatars these days that I'm considering jumping on the bandwagon and asking someone to make me one!

THEN I stopped, and looked around, and realized with so many personalized Avatars . . . I have one that is practically unique (for all intents and purposes) . . . and made by The Giant himself . . . I feel special! ::)

[What would be funny is if everyone now changes their Avatar to look exactly like mine]! ;D

Damian

Sneak
2005-07-08, 08:00 AM
Yes, that's is kind of ironic, but true. I don't think there are any people who use that avatar that are as well known as you are, maybe one person and then just of bunch of new people who never post who use that. You're right.

But with my avatar, there are a few reasons that I use it.
1) I like it.
2) I'm proud of it because I made it.
3) It makes me unique.

But also, there are some avatars that are used by many people, for example...well...I think the Red Wizard Guy is pretty common. Anyway, my point is, I think it also depends on your personality whether or not you want an avatar.

Solace
2005-07-08, 01:43 PM
Hey sneak? What is stamped across your avator, I can't for the life of me read it...

Winged One
2005-07-08, 02:40 PM
Just some nonsense in the language of evil(13375p34k).

Sneak
2005-07-08, 03:23 PM
Yep, what Winged One said. Actually, it's not supposed to be stamped across the avatar, but it's the sword. The letters are the blade.

And you probably should have asked that in a PM or something, so...

*casts 10th level back on topic spell*

Damian_Blackclaw
2005-07-08, 09:29 PM
No, I do think everyone's personalized avatars add something to the boards.

I have no artistic talent, and can't even figure out which programs you all use . . . but like the saying goes . . . "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like."

Damian (I've got a Giant in The Playground Public Avatar) Blackclaw ;)

Wukei
2005-07-08, 11:04 PM
Well, personally, I like mine because it's a stickified version of my main character. And I like to collect others made by the other artists. If they have the talent, I like to make use of it.

sktarq
2005-07-09, 12:41 AM
Wow, I've been around now for quite awhile for a message board.

One observation: There are so many personalized Avatars these days that I'm considering jumping on the bandwagon and asking someone to make me one!

THEN I stopped, and looked around, and realized with so many personalized Avatars . . . I have one that is practically unique (for all intents and purposes) .

I know exactly how you feel.

Wukei
2005-07-09, 12:51 AM
Yea, Tarq, if you changed yoru avatar, I think I'd get very confuzzled. :-*

sktarq
2005-07-09, 01:23 AM
It's amusing, but with the lack of the "standard" avatars amoungst say Barbarians and Orges and other very active members I've almost come to think of myself as THE flumph on the board....At least until some newbie comes along with the flumph avatar and decides to stick around and with the avatar.

Wukei
2005-07-09, 01:25 AM
But you will always be the original flumph, and everyone knows that. ;D

Hobster
2005-07-09, 08:53 PM
i think its cool that no one else has the drizzt reminicent drow dual scimitar
and for the record, only evil drow rangers are cool

ghostrunner
2005-07-10, 01:27 AM
I'm rather fond of the flumph myself, but I don't think I'll be stealing your thunder; I haven't been around long enough for anyone to really know me, and as soon as I can think of a character concept that I like, I'm going to custom make an avatar.

Which bring up a point: does anyone have any cool character concepts to make OOTS-style? I want to make something original, but not too weird. If this is completely off topic, I'll accept my beatings and go sit in the corner...
;)

laughingfuzzball
2005-07-10, 03:45 AM
I think I'm pretty close to the only one with just a pic. I really need to get around to resizing it, though.

Sneak
2005-07-10, 07:25 AM
I'm rather fond of the flumph myself, but I don't think I'll be stealing your thunder; I haven't been around long enough for anyone to really know me, and as soon as I can think of a character concept that I like, I'm going to custom make an avatar.

Which bring up a point: does anyone have any cool character concepts to make OOTS-style? I want to make something original, but not too weird. If this is completely off topic, I'll accept my beatings and go sit in the corner...
;)

Well, my only interesting concepts are hard, but I was thinking some things to make myself. There's a character from a book who gets faintly multicolored skin on his chest and hands, but that would be hard to do. Something else I was thinking about was that if you've ever played any Warcraft games, you could make a troll from Warcraft.

Sneak
2005-07-10, 11:25 AM
Besides get completely off topic, no. What?

Gmonkey
2005-07-10, 06:42 PM
It's always nice to have a personalised one, even if you have no artistic talent (Me) I had a suprising amount of fun making a few avatars to use in place of miniatures, I would recommend trying it to anyone, then host them somewhere and show them off :)

Garatolla
2005-07-11, 04:59 AM
Heh, I'm no art guru either, but you can have a lot of fun just making the avatars, I know I did, I even enjoyed my geek reference to baldur's gate two with the lil stick fella holding a scroll of acid arrow (or I'm pretty sure thats the logo for acid arrow anyway....)

Kulatu
2005-07-11, 11:50 PM
I like my avvie, since the Giant himself did draw it...but...

I still think I'm gonna open photoshop one of these days, open a few avatars and diddle around until I master creating my own avatars in the OotS style.

Mad_Max
2005-07-12, 05:15 AM
I really like my avatar (even though it wasen't made on my request). I think it's because of the "attitude" all Annex's avatars seem to have, not quiet angry but serious.

Annex
2005-07-12, 06:06 AM
Although I do it completely by accident sometimes, I think its the eyes that give it the look.. and thanks for the compliment :)

and back on topic, I think the people with the original avatars on the site either need a good tagline or sig, otherwise I know that I'll get them confused if I dont read the name. (and sometimes they seem just plain lazy, its not hard to request one!)

Ilaun_Undil
2005-07-12, 09:23 AM
I try not to change to much, at least my name hasn't changed yet, I also try and keep my sig area pertymuch the same. I just sat down one day and wanted to try to make a personalized one, and since it didn't turn out too bad, I decided to keep it.
Though I do find that especially newbies with similar pics are easy to confuse.

erisian
2005-07-12, 06:36 PM
Yeah - I have dropped avatar-changing down to a rare occasion, and am keeping my sig (which has a self-portrait) the same no matter what.

Wukei
2005-07-12, 06:38 PM
I doubt I'll change for a very long time...now that I have my main character here...unless I can get one of, oh, say...Hades..Hades is a very close second to my favourites, he reminds me closely of myself. I think that's why I like him.

sktarq
2005-07-13, 12:23 AM
and back on topic, I think the people with the original avatars on the site either need a good tagline or sig, otherwise I know that I'll get them confused if I dont read the name. (and sometimes they seem just plain lazy, its not hard to request one!)

It is not about the effort of getting one..it is the question of "do I want one?" ..... Also in another Avatar thread hidden somewhere in the depths of the boards somebody mentioned how the boards felt different when the only customs avatars were the mods, Gorby, and Veera. I showed up right at the tail end of that era and to a certain extent agree with the statement made at the time that they gave the board at more coherent feel and were in some ways "friendlier"...though now it is easier to spot individuals...and i don't have to worry about getting Killgore, Beilal, and Fireballing Fun or Gamebird and Sundog mixed up (back when the first three where the red draco-imp and the later where THE chimera's of the board).

Wukei
2005-07-13, 12:33 AM
There's a friendliness to varied ootsatars as well. Everyone can recognize me as me, no matter which of my avatars I use (though I'm sticking to Kerri simply to advertise my comic.)

So there are pros and cons of having set avatars. But I like the ability to be able to have your own, personalized touch to one.

theswarm
2006-07-28, 12:54 AM
I enjoy making avatars. Its someting to do when I'm bored and its cool to make avatars from characters. Mine, for instance, is homemade and is Gaara of the Desert from the anime Naruto (Im a fan).

LostInBrittany
2006-07-28, 10:05 AM
I change my avatar often.

Correction, I change my avatar's outfit and pose, but he is always the same ol' LiB.

Ms_Elaneous
2006-07-30, 08:07 PM
I just finished my avatar and I am quite proud. It is sort of cool to show off a little artistic talent or imagination in you avvy.

About using Rich Burlew's default avvies, mimicry is rather flattering no?

(^ Nice Kenshin LostInBrittany!)

The_bard
2006-07-30, 08:13 PM
i made my avi, so, i'll keep it for a while (untill i make a new one)

B0nd07
2006-07-31, 11:53 PM
I've noticed that most of the "default" avies are used by new people. They usually shed them by the time they become a Dwarf.

Wukei: You're right, yours do have a certain style to them. I don't even have to see your name to know it's you (although I might if you just changed it).

Mine is fairly recognizable as well. There aren't too many avies with a tux on.

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-01, 11:15 AM
My current one is an IA entry I did. I may change it, but I'll always use an IA entry I did.

I think I may change it to one of the scutters I drew...

Omen
2006-08-01, 08:48 PM
Ok, I knocked another avatar of a Monk at lunch today. Looked ok bigger, but once shrunk to 117x117 it lost something. Comments or criticisms welcome ;)

Well actually some answers would help too...

Is she too tall?
Too detailed?
Lines too thin?

Help me put a finger on it plz!!!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/omen_darkwoods/MyMonk.jpg

Brickwall
2006-08-01, 09:22 PM
Ok, I knocked another avatar of a Monk at lunch today. Looked ok bigger, but once shrunk to 117x117 it lost something. Comments or criticisms welcome ;)

Well actually some answers would help too...

Is she too tall?
Too detailed?
Lines too thin?

Help me put a finger on it plz!!!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/omen_darkwoods/MyMonk.jpg

Lines too thin
Too detailed (although many can make that work)
The eyes are wrong
The mouth is wrong
The arms look funny
It just isn't stick-y enough.

Omen
2006-08-01, 10:08 PM
Lines too thin - Agree but thickest in Paint (All I have at the moment)

Too detailed (although many can make that work) - Agree Thanks

The eyes are wrong - Are you referring to them being too round and symmetrical?

The mouth is wrong - ??

The arms look funny - Agree, suggestions on how to fix?

It just isn't stick-y enough. - Agree, full clothes detracts from the stick-dom :-/

Could you elaborate somemore, plz? I think I have the capability but need direction.

Thanks

TinSoldier
2006-08-01, 11:32 PM
Other than line thickness, I think it looks pretty good. Different avatarists have different styles when it comes to details, eyes, and clothing.

I personally prefer slightly asymmetrical eyes, but if everything else comes together nicely it doesn't detract from the image.

If you are drawing larger than 117x117 then use a bigger line thickness. It matters what resolution you are actually drawing at. Do a little math and figure out what 2 or 3 pixels would be at 117x117 compared to whatever res you are doing your drawing.

Rambi
2006-08-08, 04:37 PM
I made my own avatar in flash, but I think I'm going to keep practicing and use photoshop instead of flash or something...

TinSoldier
2006-08-08, 04:49 PM
That looks very cool, Rambi!

Omen
2006-08-08, 05:58 PM
Yes, it does look quite good. Might consider getting and trying Flash. I use some free GIF animator and it seems to make it jumpy. Ill give it a whirl though.

Constructor
2006-08-09, 06:29 PM
I haven't been around long, but to me half the fun is looking at the creative efforts of everyone on this board. This is a very creative board. There's avatar-making, people making their own comics, collaborative storytelling, roleplaying game construction, and more. Since the tools are free (Inkscape, the GIMP) and the tutorials are posted, I figured why not?

Simon

Mudgeon
2006-08-10, 11:44 PM
I agree. Just made my first avatar this evening with a newly downloaded copy of Inkscape and Gimp. And it's a heck of a lot of fun. I also enjoy looking at what others have done. There's a lot of talent and creative stuff going on here.

I have to say that Inkscape is a very good program for the money. I'm pretty experienced in Corel Draw, but I think Ink takes it hands down. It's easier to use for one thing, and free is always good.

So whaddya think for the first try?

I like that animation Rambi. I think I may try to make one in Gimp just for the heck of it.

Omen
2006-08-11, 10:31 AM
Man, I feel like a slog. All these, "My first avatar..." and they look awesome and my first one was ~ well a first one :D

Great job! I like the pose and the anvil. I have only one small kinda strange observation... the non hammer hand is well, too perfect. Just a nit pick really. Awesome and Outstanding.

Serpentine
2006-08-14, 08:25 AM
I have a confession to make.

I think I have a crush on Prince of Cats' avatar.

The Prince of Cats
2006-08-14, 08:35 AM
I have a confession to make.

I think I have a crush on Prince of Cats' avatar.
Wow... I am not sure how to feel about that. I mean, I try my best but there are some much sexier avatars out there.

(or for those of you who read Redemption; Arin scores again...!)

Serpentine
2006-08-14, 08:59 AM
Sexier? Maybe. More stylish? Pah. 'Cept maybe Goff's, but Nuturion's a bit suspect.

If I was a guy or a lesbian I'd totally go Oblivion's av, too/instead.

edit: hmm, of the Silver Tongue, you say?

HealthKit
2006-08-14, 12:50 PM
I like mine, but it's not perfect.
Ponytail's a bit off. What else? Give it to me straight doc.

Serpentine
2006-08-14, 10:54 PM
Considering it's done in paint, it's bloody awesome. The lines could be a tad thicker, and the head's not quite circular (closer than I could get without a circle tool, though)... uuumm... maybe the eyes are a little small? That's about all I can think of. Really like the cloak and staff.

The Valiant Turtle
2006-08-14, 11:13 PM
Greetings all. I thought I'd place my 1st avatar up on the great altar of constructive criticism.

This is my character for an Exalted game.

It's not the least bit stick-y, but I didn't think stick arms would do the gauntlets justice. I might try it just to see how it works. The guantlets just about cover them completely anyway.

Much thanks to the writers of all the avatar tutorials!

Omen
2006-08-15, 12:05 AM
Considering it's done in paint, it's bloody awesome. The lines could be a tad thicker, and the head's not quite circular (closer than I could get without a circle tool, though)... uuumm... maybe the eyes are a little small? That's about all I can think of. Really like the cloak and staff.

Can't add much to that. I'm impressed! Unless you intended it, I would think about making the stone in the staff bigger, kind of 'pop' it.

Last_resort_33
2006-08-16, 11:57 AM
I am not ususally a fan of animated avis, generally they look crap, but I was actually pleased with this one as it showed something that could be looped without TOO much movement and without any decernable start or end...

I wanted to make something that would stand out, so that people would go Oh it's that electric guitar bloke...

although a few electric guitars have popped up in recent months (i'm not saying that I was the first, I just hadn't noticed them before)

I would like some comments on how I would improve my Avi

Serpentine
2006-08-17, 12:47 AM
I can't see much to criticise. The notes are perhaps not note-like enough? There's no ball bit on the end.

theswarm
2006-08-18, 12:49 AM
Please crticue mine, I know its confusing, but its a anime charecter. He is stepping out of a mirror and holding needles to throw.

Erfderul
2006-08-26, 10:36 AM
i can't figure out how to make my avatar a .gif, but keep it looking nice, how do i do that?

also, comments on it?

Ego Slayer
2006-08-26, 10:50 AM
Depends on what program you're using.

1) Lines a little thicker. 2) If it's a png file you can use GIMP to import it, make the back ground transparent and export it into GIF. My was put thru GIMP, so you can see it's quality compared to one which was saved to GIF in the program from which it was made.

Erfderul
2006-08-26, 11:30 AM
ah, i figured it out,

the .png had a semi-transparent black showing up around the edges of the lines, and .gif , being indexed, didn't support this, so it was just getting rid of it and making the outline, arms, and legs jagged. (i was selecting just the teeth, then invert select & color to alpha)

But, when i used the magic wand select, then color to alpha it gave the black a white outline, and that kept the lines from becoming jagged. :)

hooray problem solved! and yes, i use GIMP

Omen
2006-08-26, 11:38 AM
Please crticue mine, I know its confusing, but its a anime charecter. He is stepping out of a mirror and holding needles to throw.

I like it and it is not as confusing as you suggest. At least not in the location that you mention, as I would have guessed some sort of portal. For a 'mirror' I would suggest a reflection... hmmm might want to try my hand at something, you've inspired me.

Now what does the confusing is the arm and needles. I would never suggest bending an arm, leg or any oppendage back over it's self in avatar drawings. I have not seen it work yet. What I mean, is a forearm that is over a bicept (sp) gets lost as yours does. If you want to make the darts 'pop' make 'em bigger or exaggerate (sp) them.

All-in-all I think it is great work. Probably why noone has responded yet.
*Sorry about the spelling*